Meatloaf lacks flavor- suggested fixes?

LucieB

I've been making meat loaves and muffins in batches, following the Well Fed recipes for this much spice for that much meat. But when done, I can't tell one recipe from another. Moroccan or Mexican, can't say unless one had extra chili or spinach (gives green color).

Any suggestions to fix this? Some recipes call for heating the spices first, or more spice, or is it me?

Thanks!

I haven't done those specific recipes, but I don't really measure spice for my meatloaf anymore. What kind of ratio do they call for?

I often add a splash of fish sauce for umami's sake. Also some diced pickles can be good ... reminds me of eating a hamburger so YMMV.

The recipes vary, but in general 1-2 tablespoons of mixed spices per pound meat. To me the meatloaf lacks a distinct flavor. Can't even tell what I added. I was happy when a new store opened near me that sells ground beef without the 'natural flavors', so meatloaf is new for me. But I'm not excited by the results yet.

I haven't done those specific recipes, but I don't really measure spice for my meatloaf anymore. What kind of ratio do they call for?

I often add a splash of fish sauce for umami's sake. Also some diced pickles can be good ... reminds me of eating a hamburger so YMMV.

Ooooh! I like this idea. I am eager to give that a try.

I made a pot roast yesterday in which I can distinctly taste the orange, thyme, and balsamic so it's not just my taste buds. Whew! (Well Feds -- DELISH!).

I like the idea of adding something to the meatloaf, like hot sauce or pickles. Guess I'll have to keep playing with it.

Also, my meatloaves are dry little pucks, whether I use muffin or bread sized baking pans. The fat re-absorbs into the meat as they cool, but they are still dry. I'm using 80% ground beef. Could that be altering my flavor? 

• Administrators

Also, my meatloaves are dry little pucks, whether I use muffin or bread sized baking pans. The fat re-absorbs into the meat as they cool, but they are still dry. I'm using 80% ground beef. Could that be altering my flavor? 

I almost never use just ground beef to make patties, loaves or balls.  Mostly because the texture becomes quite dense which I've found can masquerade as dry.  Try mixing equal amounts ground pork and ground beef.  The ground pork makes the mixture.....fluffier.  

I don't follow a recipe for my meatloaf but some of the things I add are: egg, almond flour, chopped veggies (like: spinach, mushroom, onions, garlic, or?), tomato sauce, curry paste, mustard powder, salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, basil, cayenne, or other seasonings of your choice. I will add combinations of these things depending on my mood. Bake with a seasoned tomato sauce on top or compliant ketchup or bbq sauce, you can add more sauce near the end of cooking.

Archived