Starting October 4, 2015. Ready for this

MoreEnergyPlease

Been feeling really sluggish the past few days.  Last week I was on a huge high...lots of energy....felt fantastic.  This week not so much.  I can barely make it to 8:00 before I'm falling asleep. My meals haven't changed much...maybe it's just normal ups and downs.

Yesterday looked like this:

M1:  chicken sausage, 2 fried eggs, sweet potato hash

M2:  butternut squash soup (about an hour before lunch), chicken tortilla soup, sliced cucumbers and tomatoes, fried apples

M3:  orange chicken and cauliflower rice with onions, garlic and leeks (a little light on the veggies....just so darn tired)

Today's meals:

M1:  chicken sausage, 2 fried eggs, sweet potato hash

M2:  more butternut squash as an appetizer LOL, chicken tortilla soup, fried apples (a little light on the veggies)

M3:  going out to dinner.  Probably a burger with lettuce, tomato, mustard, no bun and steamed veggies.

I see no mention of any added fat in your meals - that would definitely contribute to low energy, and what we eat has a cumulative effect so given that your meals have been this way for some time that lack of energy would have been continually building.... Remember that the fat you use to cook in can pretty much be excluded.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just had to post tonight because (unexpectedly) tonight has been the hardest of all (or I'm just forgetting how hard the beginning was). It's almost Halloween and I was making some treats with my kids. I wanted so badly to lick the spoon, taste a cupcake, eat a cookie, etc. I know I would be so mad since I'm so close, but part of me is like...I made it so far and that's good enough, isn't it? I know I won't go there, but I was really struggling tonight. I also know that once the weekend is over, I will be so happy I didn't partake in any of the treats (or alcohol that will be served at tomorrow night's party). But it really makes me wonder how I will be able to resist temptation in the future when I'm not following any rules. 

I just don't see myself living this way forever; it's too much deprivation, but I don't want to give in too often to sweets, drinks, etc. either. I am really hoping I will be able to do things in moderation, but thinking it will be really hard...as hard as before, which is what I was hoping would change. I also didn't think my desire for sweets would be so strong after not having any sugar for so long. I found myself licking a spoonful of sun butter instead, which probably isn't the healthiest (meaning a bad relationship with food, looking at food as a reward) option. 

Anyone else struggling at the end like this?

Just had to post tonight because (unexpectedly) tonight has been the hardest of all (or I'm just forgetting how hard the beginning was). It's almost Halloween and I was making some treats with my kids. I wanted so badly to lick the spoon, taste a cupcake, eat a cookie, etc. I know I would be so mad since I'm so close, but part of me is like...I made it so far and that's good enough, isn't it? I know I won't go there, but I was really struggling tonight. I also know that once the weekend is over, I will be so happy I didn't partake in any of the treats (or alcohol that will be served at tomorrow night's party). But it really makes me wonder how I will be able to resist temptation in the future when I'm not following any rules. 

I just don't see myself living this way forever; it's too much deprivation, but I don't want to give in too often to sweets, drinks, etc. either. I am really hoping I will be able to do things in moderation, but thinking it will be really hard...as hard as before, which is what I was hoping would change. I also didn't think my desire for sweets would be so strong after not having any sugar for so long. I found myself licking a spoonful of sun butter instead, which probably isn't the healthiest (meaning a bad relationship with food, looking at food as a reward) option. 

Anyone else struggling at the end like this?

The W30 term for this is "extinction burst"  - sugar dragon jumps and makes a fierce effort to come back to life one last time.  Also, your mind has auto-cue when you are doing the traditional baking with the kids and expects to get that sugar "treat," old habits are hard to break.  The "food as reward" habit is one I'm having a hard time completely breaking.  This time around I have been really working hard at avoiding "treating" or "rewarding" myself with any food item or even my chai tea with coconut.  Try to divert yourself with something else as a reward or employ some distraction for a few minutes.  It does get easier with time, just have to completely break that bad habit.  I saw a post from someone else talking about making sure it was an Occasion - something special, that was planned - when she ate something sweet (in this instance it was a cupcake on somebody's birthday I think).  Maybe that will help if you can start to think of the sweet stuff as a celebration of something rather than a treat or reward?   Still working that out in my post-W30 plan.

Yes Liz.....I'm feeling it too. But I've committed to losing 22 pounds and this time I need to succeed! I agree this is a lot of deprivation but that's why they say this isn't whole 365. I'm sure there are some people with the discipline to make this a lifestyle. As for me, I need to balance out healthy eating and weight loss with an indulgence every now and then. Figuring out what I really really miss and leaving the rest behind.

I finally found out what has caused me to be so tired this past week....UTI. Happens every time. On meds so hopefully will be feeling better soon!

#lastweekend

Happy day 29!!!!! So excited to be here. What a long and informative month. I feel like I've learned a lot but still have a lot of questions.

Thanks for the support, all. It was nice to be able to come here and see people had replied with really helpful information when I was struggling with something!

Hope you all have a wonderful Sunday and exciting Monday! -Liz

Yes to a Happy Day 29! We made it through Halloween! I will say that I missed my traditional Halloween "go cup", but I woke up today without a sugar or wine hangover and that was very, very welcome;)

Day 29 looks like:

M1 - Sweet Potato, Bell Pepper, Sausage Hash

M2 - Unsure.....we're driving back home from Raleigh today, so I might need a snack and then a later meal when we get home

M3 - Chicken Salad on Greens

Happy, Happy, Happy Day 30! We did it.....almost;)

I've attempted two Whole 30's in the past (one in 2013, one in 2014) and never finished. This is a HUGE accomplishment for me! 

I would love to hear what everyone's NSV's are tomorrow! Maybe, top 5?

Today's Day 30 Meals: Woo Hoo!

M1 - Sweet Potato Hash 

M2 - Zucchini Noodles with Chicken Meatballs and Sauce

M3 - Still undecided....maybe Almond Crusted Chicken Tenders

Day 29!  Almost there!  Aside from a terrible sinus headache and some weird stomach issues today....I feel great.

Today looks like this:

M1:  Egg frittata with potatoes, onions, red pepper, and mushrooms and a banana

M2:  can of tuna, tomato and cucumbers dipped in curry dip (made with homemade mayo), apple & almond butter

M3:  Roast in the crockpot with carrots and potatoes and steamed broccoli

Funny how the first 2 weeks were so labor intensive....now it seems so much easier.  Getting used to cooking and eating in a whole new way. Tomorrow is my birthday and my co-workers asked what I wanted since we always do cake.  I said veggies and fruit!

Yesterday was my Day 30 - I had already decided to go on for another two weeks, so I did not get on the scale, but I did measure this morning to see make sure it wasn't in my imagination. :)  I am down a full inch on core measurements, half an inch on my upper arm, which Is exciting and gives me even more incentive to keep pushing my new exercise habit.  My other major NSV are the lack of hair in the drain, the lack of swelling in ankle and knees, and the absence of allergies.  When I do decide to come off program and do reintroduction I want to take it very slowly and reintroduce a minimum of foods - there are very few I actually miss by this point.  I would like to avoid a resurgence of swelling, sneezing, and shedding!

Day 31! We made it!

For those that are finished what are your top 3 NSV's? What are your reintroduction plans, if any?

My NSV's are:

1. ZERO sugar cravings

2. Clearer skin (I don't know if this is due to Whole 30 or the new skin care regimen I'm following. I'm saying it's a little of both.)

3. Generally more positive outlook (This has been wonderful....not always thinking about food or drink, I feel like I'm a better person all around and certainly a better mother!)

I did weigh myself and while I did lose weight I immediately jumped on myself that it wasn't enough. I had to remind myself that it took me about a year to get to where I am now and it's not going to change overnight. This is a lifestyle change...NOT A DIET! I'm going to follow the reintroduction plan laid out in the book, but I'm only reintroducing things that I truly miss. Tonight I'm having a glass of wine and tomorrow I'll be introducing GF foods. I would love to be able to have oatmeal, quinoa/brown rice and corn tortillas on occasion.

Is anyone interested in starting a thread on the post-whole 30 board? I think if would offer support and accountability.

Day 31:

M1 - Sweet Potato, Bell Pepper, Onion & Chicken Sausage Hash with 1 Fried Egg & a Clementine

M2 - Leftover Almond/Coconut Flour Crusted Chicken Tenders, Brussels Sprouts & Roast Potatoes

M3 - Zucchini Noodles with Ground Turkey/Sun Dried Tomato & Basil Chicken Sausage Tomato Sauce, Salad & Wine!!!

Okay, so yay to day 31, but feeling discouraged about reintroduction and need some help. I have avoided asking about this because it is really embarrassing, but I can't go on any longer with all these questions.

For the last 4 or so days I have had really foul smelling gas, and lots of it. It's almost rotten egg like (see...totally embarrassing and gross, but hoping to get some help). This also happened around the second week and kind of got better but feel like I was mostly constipated the whole month. I know I mentioned that in a post at some point. After that, I cut down on raw veggies, nuts, and tried a bit of a low FODMAP.

I thought maybe it was nuts, particularly almonds. I don't know if it's worth listing all my meals but thinking there could be other culprits. I had some almond crusted chicken on Saturday (probably a bad idea but thought it was such a small amount of almonds that I'd be okay), guacamole on Saturday and Sunday, and avacado on Monday. I also eat sun butter pretty regularly and probably too much fruit. Could any or all of these things add up?

I just can't take it anymore, but also feel so restricted as it is. If I go low FODMAP, cut out raw veggies, no cruciferous veggies, no nuts, and low fruit...what can I possibly eat?? If I'm supposed to fill my plate with mostly veggies, I feel like there are none left but maybe steamed carrots, salad (which I eat everyday), and green beans. I am so frustrated as I was hoping to feel wonderful by now. If I start reintroducing feeling like this, how will I know what's making me miserable? 

I don't want to hold off on reintroducing, though either. Any insight? This bloating and gas is making me crazy.

Sorry for such a negative post so far into the process. I should have addressed this earlier. Good luck to those reintroducing! Michele - enjoy your glass or more of wine...you deserve it!!!

Okay, so yay to day 31, but feeling discouraged about reintroduction and need some help. I have avoided asking about this because it is really embarrassing, but I can't go on any longer with all these questions.

For the last 4 or so days I have had really foul smelling gas, and lots of it. It's almost rotten egg like (see...totally embarrassing and gross, but hoping to get some help). This also happened around the second week and kind of got better but feel like I was mostly constipated the whole month. I know I mentioned that in a post at some point. After that, I cut down on raw veggies, nuts, and tried a bit of a low FODMAP.

I thought maybe it was nuts, particularly almonds. I don't know if it's worth listing all my meals but thinking there could be other culprits. I had some almond crusted chicken on Saturday (probably a bad idea but thought it was such a small amount of almonds that I'd be okay), guacamole on Saturday and Sunday, and avacado on Monday. I also eat sun butter pretty regularly and probably too much fruit. Could any or all of these things add up?

I just can't take it anymore, but also feel so restricted as it is. If I go low FODMAP, cut out raw veggies, no cruciferous veggies, no nuts, and low fruit...what can I possibly eat?? If I'm supposed to fill my plate with mostly veggies, I feel like there are none left but maybe steamed carrots and green beans. I am so frustrated as I was hoping to feel wonderful by now. If I start reintroducing feeling like this, how will I know what's making me miserable? 

I don't want to hold off on reintroducing, though either. Any insight? This bloating and gas is making me crazy.

Sorry for such a negative post so far into the process. I should have addressed this earlier. Good luck to those reintroducing! Michele - enjoy your glass or more of wine...you deserve it!!!

Nuts DO cause digestive distress, but avocados are high FODMAP, as are many fruits (& almonds!), so those might well be your culprit. The thing about FODMAPs is that no two people tolerate them in the same way so it takes a bit of trial & error to figure out what you can & can't eat, and in what quantities (if any)....

Here's a good infographic on what is best to avoid altogether, what you can probably eat a limited amount of, and what should be fine...

I'm sure this is not what you want to hear at this stage, but personally I'd hold off on any re-introductions until you're feeling better.

Nuts DO cause digestive distress, but avocados are high FODMAP, as are many fruits (& almonds!), so those might well be your culprit. The thing about FODMAPs is that no two people tolerate them in the same way so it takes a bit of trial & error to figure out what you can & can't eat, and in what quantities (if any)....

Here's a good infographic on what is best to avoid altogether, what you can probably eat a limited amount of, and what should be fine...

I'm sure this is not what you want to hear at this stage, but personally I'd hold off on any re-introductions until you're feeling better.

This is what I figured (didn't want to hear lol) but assumed you would say. I actually have a print out of that chart on my refrigerator and am in the process of memorizing. :) I thought since avocados were in the middle, they were still safe, but for now I will avoid. 

Here's another question, though. How about kale & bok choy (cruciferous), peppers, carrots, & cucumbers (usually eaten raw)? Are these okay or should I also avoid?  

I just can't take it anymore, but also feel so restricted as it is. If I go low FODMAP, cut out raw veggies, no cruciferous veggies, no nuts, and low fruit...what can I possibly eat?? If I'm supposed to fill my plate with mostly veggies, I feel like there are none left but maybe steamed carrots, salad (which I eat everyday), and green beans. I am so frustrated as I was hoping to feel wonderful by now. If I start reintroducing feeling like this, how will I know what's making me miserable? 

It may be just anecdotal, but I had AWFUL bloating and gas after eating sun butter! Maybe try cutting that and see what happens?

This is what I figured (didn't want to hear lol) but assumed you would say. I actually have a print out of that chart on my refrigerator and am in the process of memorizing. :) I thought since avocados were in the middle, they were still safe, but for now I will avoid. 

Here's another question, though. How about kale & bok choy (cruciferous), peppers, carrots, & cucumbers (usually eaten raw)? Are these okay or should I also avoid?  

Cruciferous veg do get a bad rap, but if you're seeing no signs of improvement having removed them then you have to look elsewhere - FODMAPs are usually the next port of call and you can probably add back in any cruciferous vegetable that isn't on the FODMAP list. I can and do eat kale most days, I also eat a lot of cucumber which I always thought was problematic for me when I was eating salads containing beets & avocados.... It took a while to click.

I used to eat an avocado every day with no real ill effects, but when I went through a phase of eating the afore-mentioned salad every day because I was on vacation and it was easy I really started to struggle and removed all FODMAPs I was eating regularly until I felt good again.

I eat avocado occasionally now & seem to be fine with it. I can also eat the occasional beet, but there are some FODMAPs I just can't eat at all.

Sun butter as mentioned by PetuniaMae above is also on the 'occasional' list...

Like I said - trial and error.

The dawn of day 31!  Success!  

NSV first:  no arthritis pain in feet, hands, back what so ever, no acid reflux what so ever, Better overall mood and energy. No intense skin itchiness in the evenings...really want to know what has caused this in the past.

Plus I've lost 8 lbs and about 2 inches off every body part measured! 

So....the past 30 days was the easy part for me....it's easy when I'm told what I can't have.  Now comes the hard part.  My plan is to reintroduce only when I really want something and/or for convenience (ex:  regular butter instead of clarified).  I also will like to reintroduce breakfast meats on occasion bacon, ham, sausage after the initial reintroduction.  I know that I need to follow the reintro plan which will include some dairy and black beans at some point this week. Going to try my hardest to live at least 90% compliant and maybe do another 100% whole30 in January.

HARD is also the little voice in my head that says...."you'll never lose the weight you want, what's the point of being healthy, you've lost enough....just give in and quit".  I know the NSV are just as important but I still need to have victory over the scale.  Not an unrealistic victory....but a healthy victory!

I did, however have a cup of coffee with creamer in it this morning.  I only drank half....just didn't do much for me.  That's a victory in itself!

Congratulations to all of us....it's been a great experience!

Yesterday was my Day 30 - I had already decided to go on for another two weeks, so I did not get on the scale, but I did measure this morning to see make sure it wasn't in my imagination. :)  I am down a full inch on core measurements, half an inch on my upper arm, which Is exciting and gives me even more incentive to keep pushing my new exercise habit.  My other major NSV are the lack of hair in the drain, the lack of swelling in ankle and knees, and the absence of allergies.  When I do decide to come off program and do reintroduction I want to take it very slowly and reintroduce a minimum of foods - there are very few I actually miss by this point.  I would like to avoid a resurgence of swelling, sneezing, and shedding!

C_Cezeaux you made me realize that I am shedding a lot less too and I am sure my shower drain thanks me for it! thanks for the reminder of this NSV! And awesome progress on inches and inflammation too!

Day 31! We made it!

For those that are finished what are your top 3 NSV's? What are your reintroduction plans, if any?

My NSV's are:

1. ZERO sugar cravings

2. Clearer skin (I don't know if this is due to Whole 30 or the new skin care regimen I'm following. I'm saying it's a little of both.)

3. Generally more positive outlook (This has been wonderful....not always thinking about food or drink, I feel like I'm a better person all around and certainly a better mother!)

I did weigh myself and while I did lose weight I immediately jumped on myself that it wasn't enough. I had to remind myself that it took me about a year to get to where I am now and it's not going to change overnight. This is a lifestyle change...NOT A DIET! I'm going to follow the reintroduction plan laid out in the book, but I'm only reintroducing things that I truly miss. Tonight I'm having a glass of wine and tomorrow I'll be introducing GF foods. I would love to be able to have oatmeal, quinoa/brown rice and corn tortillas on occasion.

Is anyone interested in starting a thread on the post-whole 30 board? I think if would offer support and accountability.

Day 31:

M1 - Sweet Potato, Bell Pepper, Onion & Chicken Sausage Hash with 1 Fried Egg & a Clementine

M2 - Leftover Almond/Coconut Flour Crusted Chicken Tenders, Brussels Sprouts & Roast Potatoes

M3 - Zucchini Noodles with Ground Turkey/Sun Dried Tomato & Basil Chicken Sausage Tomato Sauce, Salad & Wine!!!

Michele this is amazing!!

I felt the same way about the scale when I weighed on day 31 (and 32, to make sure!) and am at peace with it too. My clothes fit oodles better, and I lost inches, so this ship is moving in the right direction and sounds like yours is too! I view month 1 as a reset, and moving forward am planning for slow, sustainable progress. Took us all a long way to get here, and what's the rush if we are pointed rightward?

The dawn of day 31!  Success!  

NSV first:  no arthritis pain in feet, hands, back what so ever, no acid reflux what so ever, Better overall mood and energy. No intense skin itchiness in the evenings...really want to know what has caused this in the past.

Plus I've lost 8 lbs and about 2 inches off every body part measured! 

So....the past 30 days was the easy part for me....it's easy when I'm told what I can't have.  Now comes the hard part.  My plan is to reintroduce only when I really want something and/or for convenience (ex:  regular butter instead of clarified).  I also will like to reintroduce breakfast meats on occasion bacon, ham, sausage after the initial reintroduction.  I know that I need to follow the reintro plan which will include some dairy and black beans at some point this week. Going to try my hardest to live at least 90% compliant and maybe do another 100% whole30 in January.

HARD is also the little voice in my head that says...."you'll never lose the weight you want, what's the point of being healthy, you've lost enough....just give in and quit".  I know the NSV are just as important but I still need to have victory over the scale.  Not an unrealistic victory....but a healthy victory!

I did, however have a cup of coffee with creamer in it this morning.  I only drank half....just didn't do much for me.  That's a victory in itself!

Congratulations to all of us....it's been a great experience!

Fantastic NSV's!

I'm also planning on another Whole 30 in January, we'll have to link back up.

And you reminded me that I have not had heartburn AT ALL over these past 32 days, it feels great! I had completely forgotten how much pepto and tums I was taking before starting this.

I would like a W30 in January - but would be the 2nd week before I could start.  I will be on a cruise (hubs gift for my birthday this year) and will definitely be a bit off as I celebrate. 

Congratulations to everyone for pulling through and learning on this experience. :)  Although I see some others who want to jump themselves for not losing enough (always my first impulse until I think about it for a minute), I think the NSV are actually the more important and with the other issues taken care of, the rest should fall into place with what we've learned. 

Congrats to everyone for making it through! We are reintroducing legumes tomorrow and I have to admit, I'm pretty nervous about it. I'm feeling really good this week- I think I'm finally getting the energy kick! And I've been sleeping really well- I'm actually shocked at how easily I've been able to fall asleep after waking in the middle of the night. The scale said I've lost 5 pounds, but the difference in my body composition is amazing to me! My clothes fit so much better and are even loose! I'm down a cup size and I can definitely tell I've lost inches off my arms and my double chin is smaller haha! 

I'd say in general, the things I'm looking forward to adding back into my diet are oats, beans, quinoa, and yogurt. I really hope I handle these things well!

I'm also surprised at the things that I'm not missing. Like cheese! I put cheese on everything before this. 

I'm also thinking about doing a whole30 again in January and would love to continue chatting on the post-whole 30 board! 

And a recipe for good measure:

For dinner tonight, we had this awesome pumpkin chili:

http://www.insonnetskitchen.com/paleo-pumpkin-chili/

Great job everyone! :)

Yes, congrats to all! Feeling better today as I've gone low FODMAP. 

NSV - clothes definitely fitting better, learned a lot about cooking different veggies in different ways, shedding less, stronger nails, waking up energized instead of a little foggy (if I'd had some wine or beer the night before), better breath (lol), less snacking throughout the day, and feeling really proud of myself for giving things up I thought I could never live without (like snacking, cheese, milk in coffee). 

On the scale - 6 pounds and pretty happy with that! :)

I had some peanut butter this morning with a banana...oh, how I missed that. Seriously hoping I can keep it in the future as other nut butters just don't come close for me. I think that's all I'm going to introduce for now, though. Still want to make sure I'm feeling well with the gas/bloating before I introduce anything else. I also have a 10K on Sunday that I'd like to feel good for, so I'll hold off until next week to try other foods.

And yes to January! I might go for a W20, though :)

It sounds like everyone is doing awesome!

Should I set up a thread on the post whole 30 board? I could use the support! I've had some success with reintroduction, but I've also been indulging in a glass of wine almost every night while my Mom has been in town;) She heads home tomorrow and I'd like to do a strict 3 or 4 W30 days before I reintroduce gluten. I've managed to take off another 1/2 lb. which feels great!

Archived