Starting October 4, 2015. Ready for this

MoreEnergyPlease

Thanks guys!

Anyone have a good recipe for ketchup and BBQ sauce?  I printed a couple off but they are very, very involved with a lot of ingredients.  Does anyone have experience making either with a simple recipe that is still tasty?

Or is it just easier to buy Tessamaes...I see they have both.  This isn't something I need often....just sometimes to add a little extra flavor here and there.

Thanks!

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good Morning!

How's everyone feeling today? Only 6 more days to go! 

I've noticed that I can go longer and longer between meals. It's taking quite awhile to feel actual hunger and I don't tend to eat as much before feeling full/satisfied. The only complaint I have is that all of my meals feel very rich or heavy. I need to come up with some "lighter" options for the next few days. As I've mentioned before, my day 31 falls on my daughter's 7th birthday and my mom also happens to arrive in town that same day. I was concerned that my daughter would choose a completely off plan meal and I'd be forced to make two separate meals, but she decided on Salmon, Sweet Potatoes and Green Beans! Hallelujah! I'm still making her a birthday pie (as she requested), but I honestly don't/haven't had any sugar cravings in weeks!

Day 24 Meals:

M1 - Leftover Turkey Burger with Sauteed Onions, Avocado & Brussels Sprouts

M2 - Unsure....I might finish up the chili

M3 - Almond Flour Crusted Chicken Tenders, Roasted Potatoes & Broccoli

Good Morning!

How's everyone feeling today? Only 6 more days to go! 

I've noticed that I can go longer and longer between meals. It's taking quite awhile to feel actual hunger and I don't tend to eat as much before feeling full/satisfied. The only complaint I have is that all of my meals feel very rich or heavy. I need to come up with some "lighter" options for the next few days. As I've mentioned before, my day 31 falls on my daughter's 7th birthday and my mom also happens to arrive in town that same day. I was concerned that my daughter would choose a completely off plan meal and I'd be forced to make two separate meals, but she decided on Salmon, Sweet Potatoes and Green Beans! Hallelujah! I'm still making her a birthday pie (as she requested), but I honestly don't/haven't had any sugar cravings in weeks!

Day 24 Meals:

M1 - Leftover Turkey Burger with Sauteed Onions, Avocado & Brussels Sprouts

M2 - Unsure....I might finish up the chili

M3 - Almond Flour Crusted Chicken Tenders, Roasted Potatoes & Broccoli

Michele, I know what you mean.  It feels like we are eating a lot of food.  Normally when I am trying to "diet" that means salad, veggies, very little food.  This is so much different!  Even though I feel full after I eat, I don't feel stuffed.  Your meals look great to me and the lack of sugar cravings is awesome!

Day 23 for me:

M1:  2 fried eggs and sweet potato hash with peppers and onions (need to pull my chicken sausage out of the freezer for tomorrow)

M2:  leftover hamburger with portobello mushroom bun (1 mushroom) topped with sauteed onions and peppers and a small dollop of homemade ketchup; deviled eggs with homemade mayo, sliced tomato and cucumber

M3:  Chicken tortilla soup (minus the tortillas) made with chicken, homemade stock, rotel tomatoes, jalapenos with probably a salad on the side with creamy balsamic dressing made with homemade mayo.

I printed off a lot of recipes yesterday for marinades, sauces, and dressings...looking forward to trying them out.

Thanks for all the drink suggestions....I'll have to make a trip to Kroger!

The last couple of days have been fantastic even with my 2yo waking up before 5. I didn't even feel like I needed a nap...hooray! Since I figured out that too many nuts can really mess me up, drinking more water, and trying to get veggies in the morning, I feel great. Maybe a little taste of that tiger blood? :)

I definitely think this will be a new lifestyle for me in the future with any additions that I tolerate well during the reintroduction. I do still feel some cravings, but hoping that I'm able to continue to manage them.

I even had a fit test this morning at one of my exercise classes and did way better than I had the last 4 times I did the test (example: more burpees in a one minute time period). It felt really great!

RobinF - I have not experimented much with sauces other than making my own mayo, so I'm no help on BBQ sauce. I did try Tessamae's and it's pretty decent. Nothing like typical bbq, but for a once in a while thing, it works.

Good luck to all on the last 6 days before we start reintroduction (if you are). What's everyone starting with? I'm thinking a glass of red wine...feels like forever.

Not sure yet liz!  I feel so good I don't want to reintroduce.  Plus my goal is to lose weight...close to 30 lbs so I am happy to continue.  However, there are a couple of things I miss and I do want to see how my body reacts to certain things so I know the reintro process is necessary.  Just haven't given any hard thought to what I want to intro first.  I know the book gives some guidelines.

I'm going to continue on at least for a  couple of weeks and then re-evaluate.  I'm also hoping for weight loss this time around and building a good solid exercise routine while I'm tuning what foods I can eat. 

When I do re-intro, I plan to bring back honey, rice, and attempt some grains other than wheat as my first experiments. Right now I can't think of anything else I miss, other than the corn chips I plan on staying away from until after the first of the year. :)  Then we will see if I can successfully eat a serving or if we need to part company on a permanent basis.

Good luck to all on the last 6 days before we start reintroduction (if you are). What's everyone starting with? I'm thinking a glass of red wine...feels like forever.

I'm with you on the red wine;)  I plan on having a glass on day 31 too!

I'm sitting down this morning and planning my menu/grocery list for the next two weeks. I love that we can start reintroduction, but I feel pretty good and I don't want to lose that feeling....that being said I'm starting with GF products first. My plan for Day 32 or day 1 of reintro is GF oatmeal for M1, something with either quinoa or corn tortillas for M2 and I'm making a cashew chicken stir-fry for M3 that I will serve with a side of brown rice!

Day 25....only 5 more days to go!

I'm sitting down today and planning out my menu/grocery list for the next two weeks. I want to make sure I follow the reintroduction process and this will ensure that I complete it properly. I'm going to have wine on Day 31;) The rest of my reintroduction will go like this:

Day 1 (Day 32) - GF Food

Day 4 - Legumes

Day 7 - Gluten Containing Food

Day 10 - Dairy

Today's Meals:

M1 - Leftover Chicken Zoodle Soup

M2 - Chicken BLT Salad (Leftover Almond Crusted Chicken Tenders, Bacon, Avocado, Grape Tomatoes on Greens with Red Wine Vinegar/EVOO)

M3 - More leftovers! It's time to clean out the fridge!

Sounds like you both have a great plan!  I'm still trying to formulate mine...haha.

I do have a question.  While I'm not looking to introduce cake, pie, cookies, etc.. any time soon, I would like to incorporate some sort of sweetener on occasion for my coffee and tea. Really mostly coffee since I can usually drink tea without sweeteners.  Does anyone have a good suggestion here?  I am committed to eating a health diet but I have to be practical, too. Giving up sugar permanently for the rest of my life is not realistic.  

Reintroduction questions.  I'm still so confused and not sure I even want to go there!  

First, sugar.  How do you do this without introducing another type of food in addition?  If you do a dessert or snack, gluten is usually involved.  Do you just do a day where you allow candy or something like that?  

Are you following the guidelines when you reintroduce of waiting two days in-between?  I just don't have a plan yet and guess I need to formulate one.  Because I am over my 30 days I didn't stress Saturday night when I think I had milk & butter on my friend's food that she served.  Let's just say after that small bit I didn't feel great.  It wasn't even a full day of introducing dairy.  I just kind of dread this whole process.....especially when I'd like to lose a little more weight.  

Sounds like you both have a great plan!  I'm still trying to formulate mine...haha.

I do have a question.  While I'm not looking to introduce cake, pie, cookies, etc.. any time soon, I would like to incorporate some sort of sweetener on occasion for my coffee and tea. Really mostly coffee since I can usually drink tea without sweeteners.  Does anyone have a good suggestion here?  I am committed to eating a health diet but I have to be practical, too. Giving up sugar permanently for the rest of my life is not realistic.  

All forms of sugar (honey, agave nectar, coconut sugar, pureed dates, xylitol etc - apart maybe from stevia which has it's own set of possible issues) are broken down into glucose & fructose by the digestive system and then transported to the liver for processing. Your liver doesn't know (or care) about the source. Use whichever form of sugar you like, but be aware that it is very often a gateway food leading to cravings, mood swings, and in turn poor food choices.

First, sugar.  How do you do this without introducing another type of food in addition?  If you do a dessert or snack, gluten is usually involved.  Do you just do a day where you allow candy or something like that?  

How about some honey in some lemon & ginger tea? Or over your veg as you roast them?

Sugar in your tea/coffee if that's how you like it?

A few squares of good quality high cocoa content dark chocolate (check the ingredients for no soy lecithin)?

Candy is going to have a whole host of other nasties I imagine you'll want to avoid...

Great, thanks!  I have honey and agave and thought those might be better choices than white sugar.  I also hear people talk about raw honey or sugar in the raw....what is the difference between this and regular?  What I see you saying is that the body processes it all the same way anyway.  My go to used to be artificial sweeteners which I plan to cut out altogether.

I know from experience that the least little bit of sugar can cause cravings but I believe it's all about the discipline, too.  Just because you "crave" it doesn't mean you have to give in to it.  But I will certainly watch out for the mood swings....those I can do without!

Great, thanks!  I have honey and agave and thought those might be better choices than white sugar.  I also hear people talk about raw honey or sugar in the raw....what is the difference between this and regular?  What I see you saying is that the body processes it all the same way anyway.  My go to used to be artificial sweeteners which I plan to cut out altogether.

I know from experience that the least little bit of sugar can cause cravings but I believe it's all about the discipline, too.  Just because you "crave" it doesn't mean you have to give in to it.  But I will certainly watch out for the mood swings....those I can do without!

Ok, so agave nectar is purported to be healthy because of it's low GI rating (glycaemic index) however it is actually very high in fructose actually making it worse than actual sugar.

Raw cane sugar is just regular sugar processed in a slightly different way - the chemical composition is identical. It's just a fancy marketing name.

Honey could be considered less bad then actual sugar because it does contain some nutrients as well as trace vitamins & minerals. It's still roughly 80% sugar though.

Raw honey is unheated, unpasteurised & unprocessed leaving all the valuable afore-mentioned nutrients, vitamins & minerals in place so if you DO opt for honey opt for raw. This one is probably the best of a bad bunch.

Just had a co-worker bring a delicious Butternut Squash Soup to school and I thought I'd share the recipe.

1 frozen pkg of cubed butternut squash about 14 oz

2 1/2 cups vegetable broth

2 Tbsp olive oil

1/2 cup chopped onions

1 clove minced garlic

1 - 14-15 oz can coconut milk

salt & pepper

Saute onion and garlic in oil.  Add squash and saute for a few minutes.  Raise heat and add stock, bring to boil, and then simmer for 6 minutes or until squash is tender.  Add coconut milk and salt and pepper to taste.  Blend with a hand mixer or blender/food processor until smooth, thin with stock of necessary.

It's super basic but very, very delicious.

Reintroduction questions.  I'm still so confused and not sure I even want to go there!  

Are you following the guidelines when you reintroduce of waiting two days in-between?  I just don't have a plan yet and guess I need to formulate one.  Because I am over my 30 days I didn't stress Saturday night when I think I had milk & butter on my friend's food that she served.  Let's just say after that small bit I didn't feel great.  It wasn't even a full day of introducing dairy.  I just kind of dread this whole process.....especially when I'd like to lose a little more weight.  

You'll find that sugar is in most processed foods (even the so-called healthy ones), so plan on consuming some form of it when you reintroduce these foods. For instance, on the day that you designate for Gluten and you eat whole wheat bread you will more than likely be eating sugar too...maybe even dairy. I checked the labels on the bread that I have in the house and it doesn't have dairy, but there is sugar. 

I am going to follow the guideline of waiting several days in between food groups to be sure how I feel and I planned my menu accordingly. If you have the time to sit down and plan it out, I say give it a shot!

It is true that sugar is sugar regardless of the form that you consume it....however, IMHO, adding raw honey or maple syrup to clean up baked goods or to add to your daily coffee/tea is a much better choice than the standard granulated sugar or chemical containing coffee creamers out there. I would like to try my hand at some Paleo/Clean desserts when this is all said and done. There seem to be some great recipes out there! If anything it will be better for my family....and I do love to bake for them. 

Great info on sugar/sweeteners! I made ingredient compliant pancakes for my daughter last weekend- eggs, bananas, cinnamon, and coconut flour. I tried them- they weren't too bad! I'm looking forward to incorporating healthier alternatives to some favorite foods back into our diet.

I asked at our favorite local bakery and their whole wheat bread has a little honey in it but no cane sugar, so we'll probably start having that at home.

I was making beef stew for dinner tonight, and as I was pouring in the chicken stock I happened to glance at the ingredients and it had CANE SUGAR in it!!!! I usually buy the organic stock of this brand and it's compliant but my husband must have grabbed the conventional. SO FRUSTRATING! Why put sugar in chicken stock?!?!???!?! Insanity. In the freezer it goes for after reintroduction. Luckily we went to the store today and grabbed some ground beef so we had burgers.

M1: nomnompaleo's prosciutto wrapped egg muffins with home fries

M2: Cobb salad

M3: burgers with salsa and guacamole, sweet potato spears

I think my energy has picked up a bit finally! I've definitely lost some weight too- my clothes fit much better. My boobs have totally shrunk! My bras are gaping! So strange. They've only ever gotten bigger so this is new for me haha.

Five more days! I will DEFINITELY be having a glass of wine on day 31. This has been a LONG week. I'm not much of a drinker, but I am really looking forward to that. My 2 year old has started REEEEALLY acting like a 2 year old this week and my patience is shot haha. It's a miracle I didn't give up and eat a cookie!

Four more days! Does anyone else feel like this last week is taking FOREVER?!?! 

My sleep has been pretty hit and miss these last few days. I was sleeping so well and to be waking up early (3 am) and not being able to go back to sleep has not been fun......I'm wondering if the coffee that I'm drinking is affecting me more than I realize. I've come to really enjoy it in the morning, but maybe I do need to back off and switch back to tea for awhile.

Day 26:

M1 - Chicken Zoodle Soup

M2 - Chicken "BLT" Salad (I had this yesterday for lunch and it was delicious.)

M3 - Either Stir-Fry or More Leftovers;)

Been feeling really sluggish the past few days.  Last week I was on a huge high...lots of energy....felt fantastic.  This week not so much.  I can barely make it to 8:00 before I'm falling asleep. My meals haven't changed much...maybe it's just normal ups and downs.

Yesterday looked like this:

M1:  chicken sausage, 2 fried eggs, sweet potato hash

M2:  butternut squash soup (about an hour before lunch), chicken tortilla soup, sliced cucumbers and tomatoes, fried apples

M3:  orange chicken and cauliflower rice with onions, garlic and leeks (a little light on the veggies....just so darn tired)

Today's meals:

M1:  chicken sausage, 2 fried eggs, sweet potato hash

M2:  more butternut squash as an appetizer LOL, chicken tortilla soup, fried apples (a little light on the veggies)

M3:  going out to dinner.  Probably a burger with lettuce, tomato, mustard, no bun and steamed veggies.

Yes, I agree, the last days are taking forever. I'm ready to start reintroducing and figuring out a plan for the future. I was also feeling extremely tired yesterday, but better today. Am a little disappointed about how great I thought I'd feel vs. how I actually feel (and look) on day 26. I think I've realized that I just have a really sensitive stomach, and could just continue to keep cutting things out like certain types of veggies and nuts (in addition to all that has already been cut out). But, then I would be left with not much...no fun. 

Will be interested to see how next week goes. Also not looking forward to the upcoming weekend of treats and parties. Of course I'm glad to be doing this and not dive into countless reese's pb cups (and get them all out of the house before day 30 rolls around) LOL. Good luck with Halloween fun!!

Yes, I agree, the last days are taking forever. I'm ready to start reintroducing and figuring out a plan for the future. I was also feeling extremely tired yesterday, but better today. Am a little disappointed about how great I thought I'd feel vs. how I actually feel (and look) on day 26. I think I've realized that I just have a really sensitive stomach, and could just continue to keep cutting things out like certain types of veggies and nuts (in addition to all that has already been cut out). But, then I would be left with not much...no fun. 

Will be interested to see how next week goes. Also not looking forward to the upcoming weekend of treats and parties. Of course I'm glad to be doing this and not dive into countless reese's pb cups (and get them all out of the house before day 30 rolls around) LOL. Good luck with Halloween fun!!

I do feel that I could continue and make this a Whole 45 to feel a few more of the benefits, but I want to follow the reintro plan and be able to celebrate the rest of the upcoming holidays. I already plan on another Whole 30 or possible 45 starting in January.

One of the many positives is that we are still on plan over Halloween! I love that I have zero desire for Halloween candy. Only a few more days!

Archived