The Columbus Crew

dcducks1

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Listen to yourself and create your own life.

Remember, in the beginning...if that voice speaking to you is negative when your feet hit the floor in the morning, speak to yourself until the voice you hear is harmonious with the new strong you.  

Nobody will know what's going on in your mind.  It's better to express than expect. You already have the NO!

Take the risk of getting the YES!!!

Wanna be understood?   Explain

Have Questions?   Ask

Don't like something?   State it

Love Someone?   Tell it

Hi , Gang -- Just wanted to share a recipe. I'd been hearing about all these great breakfasts people were having with sausage, but I couldn't find any here that didn't have sugar (or some kind of "*-ose" ingredient). So... I went looking on line and found this crockpot recipe:

http://meatified.com/slow-cooker-breakfast-meatloaf/

Since I'm the only one eating it, I cut the recipe in half (and cut the cooking time down a tad--use a meat thermometer). I also left out the sweetener. I made it yesterday, refrigerated it overnight, then cut some thin slices this morning and browned them in coconut oil. I plated the sausage slices, topped them with sauteed baby kale & diced onion, then added an egg (overeasy) on top. Very yummy! :)

Dedicated to anyone who loves Tennessee

WHEN DOLLY SINGS

I wasn’t born in the hills of Tennessee
I grew up on a busy city street
Never fished for rainbow trout on a backwoods country lake
It was baseball or shootin hoops on a paved concrete driveway

Never heard much cowboy music round our house
MTV’s what we were all about
But one day on dad’s car radio I heard a song about ‘Jolene’
And an angel ‘s voice reached right down and deep inside of me

When Dolly sings it’s a beautiful thing there’s love in every note
When Dolly sings there’s a truth that rings in every word she wrote
And it don’t matter where you’re from
It don’t matter where you roam
When Dolly sings a song …it takes you home

Mama never sewed me a coat of many colours
She bought me one uptown for twenty dollars
I never spent my summer days chasin June bugs as a kid
But when Dolly sings about it, man, I sure feel like I did

She’s a warm blanket on a winter’s night
A cool breeze in mid-July
Or wakin’ up to a clear blue sky
When Dolly sings my world feels right

Revelation Here:  after 2 weeks of alternating comedy and drama ("that's the WRONG olive oil for Basic Mayo"  "What do you mean, there's sugar in the canned diced tomatoes?"), I realized that some of the recipes that I have been using for the previous 40 years don't need a lot of adjustment to be Whole30 compliant. Examples: mashed winter squash-->substitute apple cider for the brown sugar and orange juice, other seasonings OK; curried chicken salad-->substitute apple cider for the honey in the dressing; pork pot roast-->brown it in clarified butter, then proceed as usual.

The list of possible choices just got a lot longer!

Battling my brain today - it insists I'm hungry in the middle of the afternoon.  I assured it that I was not.  Not. Not hungry.  Finally drove away the "hunger" with an iced chai tea w/coconut milk.  Apparently I've developed the habit of teatime now. 

It set me thinking, though.  While I've been working on recognizing and changing habits, it occurred to me that the change in weather kicked the old "hibernation complex" into gear.  I've always had an urge to start crunching when the weather turns off cold and/or stormy.  Wonder if it's because of all the baking my mother used to do around holidays?  Hmmm.... no matter the cause, pattern identified and in the process of changing. :)

It set me thinking, though.  While I've been working on recognizing and changing habits, it occurred to me that the change in weather kicked the old "hibernation complex" into gear.  I've always had an urge to start crunching when the weather turns off cold and/or stormy.  Wonder if it's because of all the baking my mother used to do around holidays?  Hmmm.... no matter the cause, pattern identified and in the process of changing. :)

My pattern is similar, Cynthia. Typically, my eating (especially my sugar habit) begins spiraling beyond my control on Halloween and lasts until December 31st. Except for this year. I'm not saying that I won't have treats and thoroughly enjoy them, but I'm learning real lessons about myself and sugar. Although I was thinking today that I'm so glad I didn't just spend a month without sugar only. The full fledged dive forgoing dairy, pasta, grains, cheese, wine and sugar is actually making the whole deprivation more of a wholistic gift to myself. I see now that the other additives to my food -- even beyond sugar -- come with associated costs. And I want to be able to afford them and enjoy them fully when I chose to, not subsist on them only to pay for them with my wellbeing. 

Day 13 

m1- Eggs over easy with salmon/veggie patties and spinach.

m2- Smoked salmon salad with lettuce, avocado, cucumber and capers. Almond butter and a crisp red apple. 

m3- Grilled grass fed burgers with sauteed broccoli. Kombuchu. 

G'night, Crew! Hope everyone's still here and feeling good about their progress. 

The fat cells  have a memory like all of the other ones.  

There were days when I had all of the right kinds of super fats and my brain was still messing with my head  :D and screaming for me to eat it back.   Eat it all back.  

I know that at this particular time, I must be on guard.  Recently sticking the landing is not the end game.   I could rebound with grains and dairy.  They are the worst offenders for me.   My body would latch onto those and I would be back at Groundhog Day before you could say Punxsutawney Phil.    I know that.

Some days my belly was tanked up on super fats but my brain said...who give's a rat's a@$.  I had to tell my brain to shut the frickity frick frick up.  In the beginning, I was gutting it out minute by minute.  I was up against the ropes.  Rope-a-dope.  That dragon was beating the stuffing outta me.  Stove-top stuffing.  :lol:  :D   There were days of gutting it out even with 3 compliant meals and super fats and 9 cups of vege and quality proteins.  

Do you know what was worse than gutting it out with super fats and protein...being morbidly obese.   Hail, yes.

It's not my intention to be Mrs. Peevy Preachy Pants but I don't want anyone going through it.

Check yourself before you wreck yourself.  Don't go there.

Express yourself.  Don't stuff yourself.   To make this journey work you have to be passionate unless you are happy in a heavy body--but  I was not.  I was morbidly obese.

When you stick the landing,  you have to develop new healthy interests and strategies.   Change everything up.   No longer being interested can quickly move into no longer caring. The journey is over and that would be a soul-crushing experience for me.

Dig down deep and pull everything outcavitysearch-smiley.gif?1292867566that's eating you, Gilbert Grape.   I'm listening.   I care. 

Remember that your body is the best tracker you'll ever have.   It records everything and when you arrive at the place where your hunger cues are tuned up....it does get easier day by day.

You will begin to develop a thicker skin and the old stressors will run off you like water off a duck's back.  You don't have to track your food, calories, macros, micros, pounds, inches....anything.

Whole 30 is a returning back to your original factory settings.  When you were a child everything was natural.  You played with your friends and ran around after school.   Maw had supper on the table and you weren't tracking a blasted thing.   After supper, you had more activities, homework and sleep.  Life was simple. 

Your head was not consumed with food thoughts.  Every day was a new frontier.  Bring.  It.  On. 

Archived