Timing of breakfast when working out

Sallie Shuford

I've read in the Whole30 book that I should definitely eat something before working out, and something after working out too. But it also refers to this meal as an "extra" or "bonus" meal.

I work out at 5:30AM. So I had a little protein and fat before, and a little after working out, including a carby veggie. Were these two my breakfast? Or am I supposed to also eat again for breakfast? 

I am confused. :huh:

Nope. Those are your pre & postWO meals.

You should be having a breakfast too.

If it helps, when I work out at silly o'clock I have a small amount of fat @ 6am, I work out, I eat some protein (& optional starchy carb) immediately upon finishing, shower & then eat my breakfast as soon as I get to work.

I don't generally bother with a preWO if I train in the evening (although I do include more fat in meal 2), but I do then take a small postWO meal before having meal 3.

Hope this helps.

I am a crossfitter too. I would include pre & postWO snacks separate from your 3 meals.  It doesn't matter if they are short, they are still intense and you also need the extra food to help your body heal your injury.

I'm heading back into the gym in earnest this week, but I went with the intention of NOT being intense as my back is still not at 100%. I did row a couple of miles and kept my HR at a 5-6 or so on the 1-10 RPE scale.  I had an egg and some coconut oil in my coffee, and I also had a meal size serving of meat and a boiled potato after. Can't say I was hungry for breakfast, but I ate it anyway. This is all still right? 

I am a cross fitter. I workout at 8:30 am. Any suggestions on what to eat prior to workout? Specifics, not just "small protein, small fat". Thanks

Hard boiled egg is a popular choice. You can find more by browsing the Whole30 for athletes forum.

I'm not sure that there is a specified minimum amount of time between postWO and the next meal but for me it's usually close to 30-45mins, allowing for travel from the gym to my office.

The main thing is that the protein gets a digestive head start before you start eating any fats which will then slow the process down & prevent your body from absorbing the valuable nutrients. It need only be a few bites but bear in mind that of all the macronutrients protein takes the longest to digest so don't rush your next meal too much.

I'm not sure that there is a specified minimum amount of time between postWO and the next meal but for me it's usually close to 30-45mins, allowing for travel from the gym to my office.

The main thing is that the protein gets a digestive head start before you start eating any fats which will then slow the process down & prevent your body from absorbing the valuable nutrients. It need only be a few bites but bear in mind that of all the macronutrients protein takes the longest to digest so don't rush your next meal too much.

Thank you! I have the rough equivalent of half a turkey burger before and after I workout with coffee with coconut cream as a fat before the workout.. About 45 minutes later I have breakfast. I just want to make sure I am giving my body adequate time to get the benefits of the Post-WO meal before I then have breakfast with protein, veggies, fats and starches.

Archived