Starting October 19th - Anyone else?

jenvalet

Had a great day yesterday! Was a little anxious about work and eating. I work second shift and have 2 breaks, one @ 5 (10 minutes) and one @ 8 (20 minutes). I have a mini crock pot that I loaded up with sweet potatoes and roasted chicken, had grape tomatoes as well. The other "problem" I have is a lapband, so cannot eat large quantities fast. I ate my meal on both breaks and it worked ok. Then had a mini meal when I got home. I wasn't hungry, so am thinking it will work.

Love hearing everyone's success stories stories for today! Here's to another great day!

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all! I technically started yesterday on my full second Whole 30 (have attempted a few but not really committed), however made a silly mistake by taking some supplements (joint care) that contained some dextrose - they were in my mouth without me even thinking.... As I am planning more of a Whole60, I am just adding a day at the end.

My first Whole30 was in mid-2013 and it was extremely successful. I should have extended it, as I don't think I tackled my control issues with certain foods and never really did the re-introduction phase. I'm in in for the long-haul this time as I'm tired of the roller coaster I've been on - so relieved to be back with Whole30 and the overall health I will be achieving. 

Meditation and mindfulness is also going to be a big part of my journey.

I look forward to the support from you all and also look forward to helping where I can! :)

Hey slesca- no offense to our helpful and fearless moderator "jmcbn" but I eat fruit for my breakfast too, and felt good about my last successful W30.  I either have a meat patty, fruit and guac or approved "nuts" or I make a chicken crock pot recipe from the book and eat it for breakfast.  I took out the apples because they made the recipe too wet for me, and I added all sorts of vegetables.  Made Meal1 veggies more palatable.  I like my veggies, but never consider them a Meal1 food.

I am in the middle of day 2, as I started on oct 19th, also.  I have a great group of 6 of us supporting one another...one being my husband.  Excited to have started!  I feel slightly snarky today, mixed with moments of happy.  Good times! LOL!  But I knew that was coming.  Hope all of you are doing great on day 2!

Today is okay... my headache turned into a migraine last night, and I woke up with it this morning, so that's been fun.  I've been hesitant to take anything for it (scared to read the ingredients on the back!), and I hope my body will fix itself.  On the upside, I made a chicken and spinach salad for myself, with cucumber, grapes, and a homemade apple cider vinagrette (with lemon juice and salt and pepper! Yum!)

Is anyone down to share food pictures in this thread to help with ideas and keep us all motivated?  I was thinking about it, but I wasn't sure if I should put it under a recipe forum instead.  But I wanted to explicitly support my 10/19 buddies!

Hi Everyone!

I started yesterday and I have to say, Day 2 is NOT as bad as I read it should be!

I started Whole 30 because I am 33, and have had a terrible diet for 33 years.  I crave only junk food, ever, have no desire to eat anything healthy and while my metabolism has yet to catch up with me, I'm certain my age will.  I'm feeling less energetic than ever before, don't recover from things as quickly and noticed a lot more anxiety popping up.  i think years of eating unhealthy is finally catching up to me and I just needed a good excuse to reboot and train myself to not NEED the Twix bar.  :)

I'm really excited to follow all of your journeys!  I'm glad we're all in this together.  :)

Hey Christi- W30 will definitely help.  I had same problem, and didn't feel like round 1 was enough so I started round 2 before I did too much damage to myself again.  (BTW I ended round one on 9/23/15) I can tell you this- cheese and peanut butter WERE my 2 favorite foods.  When I did my reintro, neither tasted good to me at all.  Plus, there's a new subway ad for some chicken, bacon and melted cheese sub- would have eaten one the first week commercial was out; however, post W30 round 1, the sandwich has zero appeal to me.  What a NSV!! (non-scale victory).

Once you get over the hump, you'll feel great!

Sounds like everyone is starting off well. We are heading into week 2 today. I had another big challenge today going to see the hockey game. Typically we eat and drink while watching the game. Going into the game I was very sad that I couldnt enjoy my glass of wine. I changed my attitude though when I arrived at the game. Instead of thinking that I was depriving myself of wine, I decided to start by drinking alot of water as if I would have my wine later. As the night when on everyone else transitioned to water so then it didn't seem so weird. It's nice to know that I will wake up tomorrow feeling refreshed instead of staying awake with heart burn from wine and fried food. `

I'm finding this time around harder and easier. Food making/prep is easier - I'm in the groove and can whip up things quickly on work nights. Also eat lots of salads/raw veggies/fruit. It's hard to believe I can fill up on salad! It's harder in sticking with it. For instance my husband is making pulled pork tomorrow with 1/4 cup maple syrup. I know that I feel fine after eating a serving of this recipe, so it is harder to be committed to the NO SUGAR AT ALL thing. But I will eat something else. (I will note that my husband is super supportive and in fact made me a birthday 'cake' of apple slices/almonds and a sausage! - he isn't making pulled pork to torture me. He is making it to feed the teenager and friends)

Hey everyone, it's the end of Day 2, and my migraine finally disappeared!  Also, I made homemade mayo for the first time!!! WOOT!

What do you think caused your migraine? I have been having horrible tension headaches. I am not sure if it's stress from work, grinding my teeth at night or the change in diet. I tried upping my water intake incase that was the cause.

What do you think caused your migraine? I have been having horrible tension headaches. I am not sure if it's stress from work, grinding my teeth at night or the change in diet. I tried upping my water intake incase that was the cause.

The headaches are generally caused by sugar withdrawal, lack of water, lack of fat, lack of salt, or lack of food in general. A fist sized serving of starchy veg a day will help when transitioning from a SAD type diet to Whole30, but the other factors I mentioned are important too so make sure you are salting your food, adding good fats to each meal, and eating enough in general - one of the most common problems we see here is people restricting their intake.

If you'd like to post a few days worth of your food/liquid intake we can check that you are on the right track.

Sounds like everyone is starting off well. We are heading into week 2 today. I had another big challenge today going to see the hockey game. Typically we eat and drink while watching the game. Going into the game I was very sad that I couldnt enjoy my glass of wine. I changed my attitude though when I arrived at the game. Instead of thinking that I was depriving myself of wine, I decided to start by drinking alot of water as if I would have my wine later. As the night when on everyone else transitioned to water so then it didn't seem so weird. It's nice to know that I will wake up tomorrow feeling refreshed instead of staying awake with heart burn from wine and fried food. `

I LOVE this Maria!  Kudos to you.  I'm hosting a big Halloween party on Friday and I'm trying to stay positive about it.  Glad to hear it's not so bad if you go in with the right outlook!  :)

Hi All!

Everything going well here - no headaches so to speak of, but I am a little tired today.

Just about to hop out to get more provisions as trying a few recipes, including a Peruvian one that I will make paleo (Lomo Saltado, or jumping beef, which is basically a stir fry) - I live in Peru so trying to make things easier with ingredients on hand!

Stay strong!

I don't know for sure, because I've gotten these once in a while before I started the whole30.  I remember I used to get them nearly daily and they didn't go away until I got my eyeglass prescription updated.  This time may or may not have been a sugar withdrawal, I'm not sure.  But I just made sure to be eating enough food.  I started to feel better by mid-afternoon on day 2, and that night I made spaghetti squash with meat sauce which I think also helped.  I did get a junk food craving last night, but I drank water instead to make myself feel full and went to bed.

Speaking of which, I've been going to bed earlier and earlier each night and feeling better in the morning.  The first night I did my regular 2:30am bedtime (I work in the afternoons), then the next night I went to bed at 12:30am, and finally last night I went to bed at 11:30pm.

I know it's only day 3, but is anyone else noticing any changes in their bodies or state of mind yet?  Good or bad?

I've noticed a flatter/smaller belly, though it was very slight and only I would notice. It was pretty immediate. I haven't had any psychological changes yet, but my head doesn't get too much into it until the first weekend. For me, the second weekend is the hardest point of the program but the first weekend is right up there. I'm dreading it (it's only two days away!). What does everyone else do to trigger that weekend feeling that does not involve food/drinks?

I've noticed a flatter/smaller belly, though it was very slight and only I would notice. It was pretty immediate. I haven't had any psychological changes yet, but my head doesn't get too much into it until the first weekend. For me, the second weekend is the hardest point of the program but the first weekend is right up there. I'm dreading it (it's only two days away!). What does everyone else do to trigger that weekend feeling that does not involve food/drinks?

This is also my dread/worry/concern/etc.....weekend.  I will get through it, even if by the skin of my teeth, but....I would prefer it not be that way!  This is my first go round, can those with whole30's under their belt give some advice? 

Archived