Starting October 19th - Anyone else?

jenvalet

Welcome berniesmom!  The more the merrier.  What got you interested in doing the whole30?

Actually, I'd be curious to know what everyone's motivations are... I know some of you talked about it already.  I think it would be helpful if we ever need to support you through a rough patch. :)

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started it in July because I wan't sleeping. I have a baby, am breastfeeding and he is up a lot - but even when he did sleep, I couldn't sleep. I would just lay beside him wide awake. So after trying lots of things, I stumbled across the Whole30 and was interested in the hormonal healing/sleep helping parts. I  knew that my diet was playing a role in my mood and sleep, it's almost like I could feel cortisol seeping through my body. I was totally compliant for 60 days and then decided to try on my own. I did pretty well, but felt it was a slippery slope. I wanted to come back to a total Whole30 this time to not reset my eating so much as to continue to work on my thinking.  Because I was mostly Whole 30 complaint for the last 3 weeks or so, I am not struggling in the same way others might be struggling this week. (not like the first week I did it in Aug - holy cow!). So for me it is less a focus on the actual food(like the cooking, cravings, figuring out how to manage at parties etc.) and more a focus on all the weirdo underlying issues which hurt my relationship with food (mindless eating, emotional eating). Though in saying that - it is also an opportunity to get more vegetables into my life. I have a bunch of stand by things to eat and can get away without a lot of variety, so I'm enjoying reading about what others are eating to give me inspiration!

Delaeden said

"This one was just harder than any of the others because I love chocolate so much, but I did it!  If anything, it left me feeling "tested" by who left them out (they know what I'm doing and aren't really supportive), which just brings out my competitive nature.  It's helping me practice standing up for myself; this is what I want for me, regardless of what others think."

Don't let what others think or their sabotage actions be a reason or a deterrent to your goal. YOU, have to take the responsibility, the rest of the world, even those we love and care for, are not obliged to cooperate with this plan or our fantasies. I try not to even think or ascribe motives to others and just stay focused on what I'm doing to make it through.

Stay strong.

ChefMike

just awful, yesterday i went to two family get togethers (mine and my boyfriends). There was 2 accidents but I'm not starting over since it was added sugar, it was a mistake, and the amount was negligible/once i knew i stopped eating the food. Sugar wouldnt compromise the program but dairy or grains would. so thankfully it was not that.

In the future, I just will prohibit myself entirely from consuming the foods which "seem" okay. Its just not worth it. 

Other than guilt and frustration from perhaps messing up my whole30 it was good. But a few days ago I was thking "I'll never eat my old diet again!" now all I want is some meatballs, pasta, chocolate cake, cookies, and candy bars. I had dreams about these bad foods. I dont know what to do/how to feel after the reintro. But I'm doing the reintro, as I have Crohns Disease, so anything which could potentially hurt my body and make my disease worse or the healing take longer I want to avoid.

I believe, thanks to the meds, I'm on my way to remission. The food is helping too, I believe if I maintain a good diet, it can accelerate the healing. But the literature on these types of diets (mainly, SCD, GAPs) say you must be on them for at a minimum a year and perhaps 2 years to see remission. right now all I want is to eat to fufill my emotional needs. I did the diet to kill those desires but so far, it's not working.

But I need to give it 21 more days before I can decide whether or not whole30 was the right choice for me. I still believe things will change in the upcoming 3 weeks, and that the need to fufill these emotional desires with food will go down, and I'll be able to make the right choices when it comes to food on a daily basis, and save off roading for family events, when it means even more to me to eat that cake or cookie (but hopefully, I can tolerate gluten/wheat, because I cut out wheat 6 weeks ago, and scared to reintroduce)

Other than guilt and frustration from perhaps messing up my whole30 it was good. But a few days ago I was thking "I'll never eat my old diet again!" now all I want is some meatballs, pasta, chocolate cake, cookies, and candy bars. I had dreams about these bad foods. I dont know what to do/how to feel after the reintro. But I'm doing the reintro, as I have Crohns Disease, so anything which could potentially hurt my body and make my disease worse or the healing take longer I want to avoid.

Meatballs are fine if they are compliant - maybe try making your own?

As for the chocolate cake, cookies & candy bars - eat more fat. Protein and fat will cure your cravings. Nothing else will.

Hello all!

Weekend was pretty uneventful until last evening when I looked at the supposedly compliant bottle of ibuprofen I had. It wasn't. Last Thursday night, I did something to my wrist so painful that I felt nauseous, so I iced and took 2 pills. I swear I looked and didn't see anything, but I was in a lot of pain so maybe I overlooked the very last ingredient: sorbitol. Ugh!

I don’t know why this Whole 30 seems a little tougher on these little things, like ingredient reading (ha – such a huge part). Maybe I’m cocky as I figure I’ve got one under my belt (albeit 2 years ago). I must renew my focus on the hidden things. I guess I forget as I don’t buy too much stuff in cans or boxes here.

I was ready to ditch it last night given the day one dextrose incident with the joint health pills and now this, but I didn’t and I woke up this morning with a renewed sense of why I was doing this. Yes, it is the Whole30…but for me I intend it even longer. So I will not give up the progress I’ve made for these two unintentional slights and instead, will now just count the “official Whole30” over on November 21 instead of a few days earlier. I’m in this for the long haul anyway.

Today is shopping and meal prep. I think I’m focusing on chicken this week, as had more beef than I wanted to last week J

Meatballs are fine if they are compliant - maybe try making your own?

As for the chocolate cake, cookies & candy bars - eat more fat. Protein and fat will cure your cravings. Nothing else will.

Post whole-30, SWYPO I will allow in my diet. There is no reason, in my opinion, to not get to enjoy these in life. I just dont understand why SWYPO foods are bad for you, outside the framework of the whole30. The problem is that, the cravings are not due to hunger, but emotion. These foods trigger such wonderful euphoria when I consume them. They seemingly make all my problems melt away as I take one bite after another. Ugh, i dont know, its such a hard thing, I feel whole30 will help me crave these foods less, and save them for special occasions, I just dont see how I can live without them forever. 

Durring the whole30, I consume olives when I am craving, which helps if the craving is hunger-based (which it is sometimes) but if its an emotional craving, I can't satisfy it. I'm just gonna ride it out and hope that the emotional cravings go down, and I can find a way to enjoy SWYPO foods without damaging my body. You see I have no issues with weight, so "foods without brakes" wouldnt bother me, at least until weight becomes an issue for me again - not saying I will be at my ideal weight forever and its very likely with more health and better digestion of foods, i could gain weight. 

As for making my own meatballs, Yeah I can do it, its just not the same when youre at a family event and want to eat THEIR meatballs. Because they look so big and delicious. Meatballs is my favorite thing at family parties, even when I gave up wheat I let myself have one at the last get together, because they cause the same feelings of euphoria as say chocolate cake, these things I've enjoyed with my family since childhood, I love them.

Post whole-30, SWYPO I will allow in my diet. There is no reason, in my opinion, to not get to enjoy these in life. I just dont understand why SWYPO foods are bad for you, outside the framework of the whole30. The problem is that, the cravings are not due to hunger, but emotion. These foods trigger such wonderful euphoria when I consume them. They seemingly make all my problems melt away as I take one bite after another. Ugh, i dont know, its such a hard thing, I feel whole30 will help me crave these foods less, and save them for special occasions, I just dont see how I can live without them forever. 

Durring the whole30, I consume olives when I am craving, which helps if the craving is hunger-based (which it is sometimes) but if its an emotional craving, I can't satisfy it. I'm just gonna ride it out and hope that the emotional cravings go down, and I can find a way to enjoy SWYPO foods without damaging my body. You see I have no issues with weight, so "foods without brakes" wouldnt bother me, at least until weight becomes an issue for me again - not saying I will be at my ideal weight forever and its very likely with more health and better digestion of foods, i could gain weight. 

As for making my own meatballs, Yeah I can do it, its just not the same when youre at a family event and want to eat THEIR meatballs. Because they look so big and delicious. Meatballs is my favorite thing at family parties, even when I gave up wheat I let myself have one at the last get together, because they cause the same feelings of euphoria as say chocolate cake, these things I've enjoyed with my family since childhood, I love them.

In a post-Whole30 world, you can eat however you like. That's what we call riding your own bike. Given you're living with Crohn's, I assume you'll want to eat in a way that's best for minimizing your pain and discomfort with this condition.

What concerns me is you wanting to eat foods that make your emotional problems go away.  I gently suggest you use the Whole30 to experiment with non-food ways to soothe you. Call a friend, paint your nails, do a craft or puzzle, take a hot bath, whatever. 

GFChris, you are totally right about that. The question "is it worth it?" comes to mind. Maybe a nightly indulgence of ice cream isnt "worth it" when there are other treats I can enjoy at more optimal times in the day because maybe my stomach doesnt agree with late night consumption of dairy products (as evidenced by even more trips to the bathroom in the middle of the night than usual). But the chocolate cake my aunt makes especially for me because she knows I love her chocolate cake at Christmas or for my birthday (they're a week a part) to me is "worth it"

I hope you're right that I can find non-foods ways to soothe me, especially because I think eating at night time is unhealthy both psychologically and physically, last night i had a compliant, Non-SWYPO desert. I basically just heated up some apple slices in apple cider juice with ghee and cinnamon to create a warm,yummy treat as i had felt sort of "exhausted" by sticking to my will and avoiding the cookies, candies, and cakes that day and felt like a "dessert" which was technically compliant (its not a paleo recreation of anything) would be good for my soul. I know its not the recomendation and I felt like i was waking up 2 more times than usual in the middle of the night, so maybe it has me thinking, eating foods that late can cause a disturbance to my digestion just due to the timing of it. 

Hi, all!  I don't post as much as I would like, but my phone is not nice about getting me around on the forum...easier when I am at work on a computer.

My husband and I are doing this together....a first in our marriage of 21 years.  And it is AWESOME!  He has no weight to lose, he is doing this because he has noticed at age 45 he can not eat, basically, to keep that extra 5 off, or bloat.....I am doing this for basically almost all the reasons listed in the Whole30 book.  ;)

We had a great first week, all the emotions/physical feelings listed in the book basically in some form or fashion hit us at different points.  Our two teens did NOT appreciate when we both hit "Kill All Things" the same day.   But, we all survived.  :)

Our weekend was the hardest, which we figured would be.  We had different times and different struggles.....but the struggle is REAL.  I actually had less trouble during it, which is sort of how I deal in life..... I get through the situation pretty well, but the after shocks are what slays me.... so yesterday when we hit the grocery store to re stock on some compliant items..... being that I was on the "we survived the weekend!!" downhill, I struggled seeing foods there.  I have had no issue with this the whole time, I don't know why, whether it be the food whole30 says to eat and that satiates my brain and body so much that when I make my kids rice to add to their meal (Love me some rice) or drive thru Panera with one of my kids to get them a panini....not tempted!  Not even the smell!  But yesterday?!?!?!  I was slightly crabby, salivating, and really wanting things while shopping.  But, I survived..... ;)

The hardest thing for me is being nervous at the grocery stores.  I have pics of the downloaded lists on my phone, but I still end up having questions and get overwhelmed.  Yesterday was my first trip that this did NOT happen, nor did I have to Whole30 911 text anyone to get help.  :)

I enjoy seeing everyone's posts, thank you!  

The hardest thing for me is being nervous at the grocery stores.  I have pics of the downloaded lists on my phone, but I still end up having questions and get overwhelmed.  Yesterday was my first trip that this did NOT happen, nor did I have to Whole30 911 text anyone to get help.  :)

Keep it simple.

What questions do you have - how can we help you feel less overwhelmed at the grocery store, other than suggesting to maximize buying foods without labels  :)?

Welcome bernie!  Hi gang- had a very busy and tempting weekend.  Did okay though.  Hard at a bday party where everyone was doing shots, eating this great looking cake, etc.  But I did it.  I remember how great I felt after the last W30, and am already starting to feel better on this one.

Keep on truckin'!

It is the things I don't remember seeing in the book (which I don't have on me there), certain oils like I want to say "fruit palm oil" was on something....and it threw me, sounds silly, but I really want to be compliant and not allow errors!  It is the canned items, not fresh (obviously) that can stump me. Also, meat products throw me as they say all the right words, but then some have carrageenaan in it!  Others say "natural flavorings"  what is that?!?! I want to know!   I think as I go along, it will get easier, and I will know better.  Being a pretty much non cooker, never heard of whole30 until two and 1/2 weeks ago, had no idea soybean oil resides in so much that I had on my shelves, life time dieter so ate with processed things to count points/calories because it was less overwhelming..... I am doing awesome, lol!  I just have learned SO much in this two and 1/2 weeks, shopping is where I get overwhelmed.  I get there, and then get flustered.  But, yesterday, it was better!   :)

It is the things I don't remember seeing in the book (which I don't have on me there), certain oils like I want to say "fruit palm oil" was on something....and it threw me, sounds silly, but I really want to be compliant and not allow errors!  It is the canned items, not fresh (obviously) that can stump me. Also, meat products throw me as they say all the right words, but then some have carrageenaan in it!  Others say "natural flavorings"  what is that?!?! I want to know!   I think as I go along, it will get easier, and I will know better.  Being a pretty much non cooker, never heard of whole30 until two and 1/2 weeks ago, had no idea soybean oil resides in so much that I had on my shelves, life time dieter so ate with processed things to count points/calories because it was less overwhelming..... I am doing awesome, lol!  I just have learned SO much in this two and 1/2 weeks, shopping is where I get overwhelmed.  I get there, and then get flustered.  But, yesterday, it was better!   :)

On the meat products, typically the items that are suspect for carrageenan are processed meats: deli meat, sausage, rotisserie chicken, etc.  Ham and bacon are tricky to find compliant, as they're typically cured in a sugar or sweetener. 

Go for things like plain poultry, seafood, fish, various cuts of meat. Make friends with a local butcher.

On cooking fat, stick with things like ghee, clarified butter, coconut oil or olive oil as your simple options.

Limit the canned items to things like compliant coconut milk, sardines, tuna, chicken, salmon and canned vegetables or tomato paste/sauce.

Keep hanging in there ...

On the meat products, typically the items that are suspect for carrageenan are processed meats: deli meat, sausage, rotisserie chicken, etc.  Ham and bacon are tricky to find compliant, as they're typically cured in a sugar or sweetener. 

Go for things like plain poultry, seafood, fish, various cuts of meat. Make friends with a local butcher.

On cooking fat, stick with things like ghee, clarified butter, coconut oil or olive oil as your simple options.

Limit the canned items to things like compliant coconut milk, sardines, tuna, chicken, salmon and canned vegetables or tomato paste/sauce.

Keep hanging in there ...

Sadly, the "fresh" chicken breasts in the meat section of Sams has carageenaan in it!  The oils I use are those you stated, except I also use avocado oil when cooking....it is approved, yes?  I did get some ghee, that stuff rocks! :)  and regarding tomato sauce, I can't find any around here without added sugar...even organic, it has organic added sugar, lol.  regarding sardines, I wanted to get that for my husband, is there a brand you recommend? or recommended? The palm fruit oil was in a product.  I think I ended up not getting it, because I just wasn't sure.  

I will SO keep hanging in, this is the one (if not) of the very best things my husband and I have decided to do!

Thanks for your help!

Sadly, the "fresh" chicken breasts in the meat section of Sams has carageenaan in it!  The oils I use are those you stated, except I also use avocado oil when cooking....it is approved, yes?  I did get some ghee, that stuff rocks! :)  and regarding tomato sauce, I can't find any around here without added sugar...even organic, it has organic added sugar, lol.  regarding sardines, I wanted to get that for my husband, is there a brand you recommend? or recommended? The palm fruit oil was in a product.  I think I ended up not getting it, because I just wasn't sure.  

I will SO keep hanging in, this is the one (if not) of the very best things my husband and I have decided to do!

Thanks for your help!

That's crazy about the "fresh" chicken with carrageenan ...

Yes, avocado oil is fine.

What about making your own homemade tomato sauce?  (To clarify: you're looking at the product's ingredient list and not the nutritional label to determine compliance: correct?)

We are hesitant to recommend brands, as ingredients can change and vary by region.

Yes, I am looking at the product's ingredient list.  That is how I found out about the carrageenaan in that chicken!  The front had all the right lingo with "no hormones", etc....but then when I read the ing label, it listed it.  I was floored!  

I think that is exactly what I am going to do, make my own tomato sauce.  I feel safer with that!

Hey all!  Day 9, here!  I hope everyone is doing great!  

I had a first today.... I had  an overall  "weird" physical moment, while making my breakfast..... got sweaty like I would have when I have had low blood sugar, out of body experience, tingly, hungry but stomach bothered, feel like I could possibly faint feeling....it hit all of a sudden, and I want to say it was just from being super hungry (?)..... I did a hard workout last evening, then ate dinner when I got home.  I am chalking it up to my whole being adjusting.  Anyone else have a moment like this?

Secondly, I watched the DR Oz show yesterday, they had a rerunning of "Myths about Paleo eating" and they had Melissa and her husband on.  It was not really specific Whole30, as much as it was Paleo myth-busting, but....when they had Melissa show what to eat using Whole30 approach, I noticed she counted the cooking oil/fat as the fat for the meal.  Is that correct?  I was told you don't count that fat...the cooking fat.  That you need to still add an additional one in your meal like avocado, olives, ghee...etc.  (Ex:  I cooked my eggs/mushroom/and sausage this am in coconut oil, then ate a 1/2 an avocado along side it for my meal, with organic, compliant whole30 applesauce)  I follow the template download of size and lay out.  I am just making sure on the fat.

Thank you in advance for answers!

Carrie  :)

• Moderators

Hey all!  Day 9, here!  I hope everyone is doing great!  

I had a first today.... I had  an overall  "weird" physical moment, while making my breakfast..... got sweaty like I would have when I have had low blood sugar, out of body experience, tingly, hungry but stomach bothered, feel like I could possibly faint feeling....it hit all of a sudden, and I want to say it was just from being super hungry (?)..... I did a hard workout last evening, then ate dinner when I got home.  I am chalking it up to my whole being adjusting.  Anyone else have a moment like this?

Secondly, I watched the DR Oz show yesterday, they had a rerunning of "Myths about Paleo eating" and they had Melissa and her husband on.  It was not really specific Whole30, as much as it was Paleo myth-busting, but....when they had Melissa show what to eat using Whole30 approach, I noticed she counted the cooking oil/fat as the fat for the meal.  Is that correct?  I was told you don't count that fat...the cooking fat.  That you need to still add an additional one in your meal like avocado, olives, ghee...etc.  (Ex:  I cooked my eggs/mushroom/and sausage this am in coconut oil, then ate a 1/2 an avocado along side it for my meal, with organic, compliant whole30 applesauce)  I follow the template download of size and lay out.  I am just making sure on the fat.

Thank you in advance for answers!

Carrie  :)

You can add more fat -- it's highly unlikely you'll overeat fat when it's coming from healthy sources and is accompanied by lots of vegetables and some protein. Some things absorb most of their cooking fat and others absorb almost none of it -- think scrambled eggs (absorb most of it) vs fried eggs (lots of fat tends to stay in the pan), and if it stays in the pan and isn't consumed, you wouldn't really count it.

The main thing is, are you staying satisfied for 4-5 hours between meals? If you're not making it that long and you're already having plenty of vegetables and protein, adding more fat may help. If you find that you are going 6-7 hours or more between meals without being hungry, you may have overdone it a little.

If you have a meal where you want multiple fat sources, it's okay. Your eggs with avocado is a great example, or a taco salad with avocado and olives.

Great question about the fats - I was wondering the same. Just about everything needs some oil for cooking, and I've been adding more fat to each meal such as part of an avocado, a sprinkle of nuts, or some dried coconut flakes that go well with certain things like a sweet potato. I'm staying full at least 5 hours between meals, which means I haven't snacked AT ALL this week which is unheard of!!  My meals do seem really big though... I think I'm following the template correctly and I feel pretty good so I will continue this way. I do worry a little bit that I'm eating too much, but since none of it is JUNK I assume/hope it's ok!!

Congrats to all of you on day 9 -- how's everyone feeling? I'm on day 7 and my kids are wondering when I stop being a crab ha ha!!!   

Great question about the fats - I was wondering the same. Just about everything needs some oil for cooking, and I've been adding more fat to each meal such as part of an avocado, a sprinkle of nuts, or some dried coconut flakes that go well with certain things like a sweet potato. I'm staying full at least 5 hours between meals, which means I haven't snacked AT ALL this week which is unheard of!!  My meals do seem really big though... I think I'm following the template correctly and I feel pretty good so I will continue this way. I do worry a little bit that I'm eating too much, but since none of it is JUNK I assume/hope it's ok!!

Congrats to all of you on day 9 -- how's everyone feeling? I'm on day 7 and my kids are wondering when I stop being a crab ha ha!!!   

tell them soon... ;) my teens were worried last week when both my husband and I were crabby that it might be that way for 30 days, lol!  It ends. :)  

Hey everyone, we're on Day 9!  This means we're 30% done!  Go team!

So far so good I think... I think it's getting easier for me, not that I don't have cravings, but I'm more mentally okay and comfortable with eating healthy.  I still have my food dreams, although last night's dream was me grocery shopping and resisting all the unhealthy stuff.  So even my dream-self is getting better I suppose?

My meal schedule did get messed up a couple of times (skipped a meal here and there due to odd work schedules or general business) but I made up for it by adding more food to my next meal.  I'm back on track now with my 3 meals/day.  I did all my grocery shopping for the week on Sunday night, which has made things easier for me. 

I think the biggest change for me so far is that I'm not as bothered by what people eat around me.  I have a Halloween party this weekend, and instead of dreading it, I'm looking forward to showing off my cooking skills and bringing some healthy alternatives.  It's not that I don't want these foods, I do... I'm just not wanting them as badly, and I'm not taking other people's food choices as personally (also, thanks for the peptalk, team!).

Tonight is my 3-Year anniversary with my fiance and I'm going to be making scallops, chicken skewers, and asparagus this evening, and possibly reuse the cauliflower mash I made the night before (it came out a little watery, so be careful how much chicken broth you put in!).  I'll probably eat out on the patio with him and enjoy the sunset.  Not a bad way to spend an anniversary.

Oh!  One more thing... My fiance had pizza a couple nights ago, and afterwards he told me he felt overly-full and very heavy.  He's been enjoying my cooking more, and told me he's been feeling better as well.  And that's just from eating the dinners and occasional breakfast.  It's motivating for me to keep doing this if I can get him to eat a little healthier too.

Archived