Starting October 19th - Anyone else?

jenvalet

Everyone still out there?? Day 24 for me ... less than a week til the "finish"! I am going out for dinner tonight, I checked the menu so I have my (boring) order ready ha ha... I'm feeling good, for the most part. Part of why I started this Whole30 is because I seem to have a really sensitive tummy (I won't go into detail) & I'm not sure what triggers these episodes & irregularity. Well.... it really hasn't changed much, in fact this past week it's gotten worse. So... it has me wondering if my sensitivity is something like eggs. I feel great in all other regards so I will stick it out the 30 days (and beyond) but I was really hoping to find an answer to my tummy woes. Very curious about reintroducing foods as well to get some more clues as to what's going on.

Hope you are all hanging in there - would love to know how everyone is feeling now in the home stretch!

Berniesmom, have you tried taking probiotics? My best friend had a very sensitive stomach for a couple years. Her stools were almost always soft. She suspects that it started after she took a round of penicillin, but she's not sure. Anyway, she got a referral from her primary physician to see a nutritionist. The nutritionist prescribed probiotic tablets for her to take every day because she thought her intestinal flora might be out of balance. (Note: The nutritionist chose a specific probiotic at a specific dosage that I can't remember. My point is that it doesn't seem like something that my friend could have simply self-diagnosed & self-prescribed.). After a few days of taking the probiotics, my friend's tummy problems were resolved for the first time in years! She has been feeling great for several weeks now. Perhaps it would help you to see a nutritionist? It wouldn't hurt, right?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still at it, on Day 28! In the past week I got super busy single momming two children & also taking on some additional volunteer activities, which meant that I didn't make much time for meal planning & prepping. Therefore, there were a couple times when I ended up having a Lara bar as a meal. Not good, I know. It was a good lesson in how important planning is when you do this.

When I started I the Whole30 I wore size 12 jeans. On Day 20 I was a size 8, which I was happy about. Only 3 days after that, on Day 23, I was down to my size 6 jeans! Then I started feeling suspicious & a little freaked out by how small I was getting so quickly. Before I started this, I drank a lot of beer & ate a lot of pastries (coping with a divorce & being a single mom of two children for 6 days a week). I was basically made of beer & pastries, 3 sizes worth!

Berniesmom, have you tried taking probiotics? My best friend had a very sensitive stomach for a couple years. Her stools were almost always soft. She suspects that it started after she took a round of penicillin, but she's not sure. Anyway, she got a referral from her primary physician to see a nutritionist. The nutritionist prescribed probiotic tablets for her to take every day because she thought her intestinal flora might be out of balance. (Note: The nutritionist chose a specific probiotic at a specific dosage that I can't remember. My point is that it doesn't seem like something that my friend could have simply self-diagnosed & self-prescribed.). After a few days of taking the probiotics, my friend's tummy problems were resolved for the first time in years! She has been feeling great for several weeks now. Perhaps it would help you to see a nutritionist? It wouldn't hurt, right?

Thanks for the suggestion MayaBee -- I was listening to a podcast that mentioned probiotics just yesterday, and I will definitely look into it. I know nothing about probiotics so I have a little research to do :)

Congrats on making it to day 28 & for getting over your beer & pastry habit - you must feel great!! I have to admit I had one of those Larabar meals this weekend too ... we were out at a bakery/cafe for breakfast where EVERYTHING is off-limits, so I had a Larabar & a clementine in my bag. It was only the 2nd time I resorted to the larabar all month, so not too bad I think. Meal planning & preparation is getting a little easier but still, quite time consuming.

I am on day 26, and getting a little impatient for 30 days to be over with. Not because i plan to go on an eating spree, I just don't want to be so absorbed with thinking about food constantly! Hope everyone else is still here for these last few days!!

Hi Guys, I can tell you from experience that the right probiotics can really be a help in getting your gut back to a balanced state. The problem is, there are a lot of crap pills out there that are not worth a damn. It really is good to seek advise and get the right product for you. The internet is full of marketing disguised as advise to sell "supplements" and other non regulated type products that are " not meant to cure or diagnose any disease or condition", but yet are marketed to do just that. Most of these products that are sold as "probiotics" are either not potent, have only a very small amount of active culture(millions instead of billions), and are loaded with fillers. The actual effective products do control overgrown yeast populations in the gut that can contribute to leaky and inflamed intestines and by products of yeast are CO2 and alcohol. Gas and toxin.

This eating plan is in itself one of the best ways to control these bad microbes in the gut, because it takes away their refined carbohydrate food supply and replaces it with lots of anti inflammatory fat, quality protein and hi fibre vegetables, all of which take a much longer time to be digested and form healthy long chain fatty acids and bulk forming mass in the gut. All of this is good for cleaning and healing. 

By my second Whole 30 I was not using probiotics at all and feel the best I ever have as far as my gut health goes.

Thank you Whole 30.

Still here, day 29 for me.  Doing great, planning to continue on for at least 60....overall I think it will be always a way for me to eat, as I can tell quite a huge difference in many ways.  

I'm with you, taking a short 4 day break at Thanksgiving for a sourdough roll and dressing(with sausage and wild mushrooms), and then right back on the wagon of goodness.

Go Meat!

Still here too! I can' t believe tomorrow is day 30! I'm excited I did this, I love what I've learned but to be honest, I'm almost disappointed its over. I mean I know I can carry on, and I know now the trick is to bring things back slowly and try to learn what really bothers me, but still, I feel a bit lost that its over. I certainly am not going to eat the same as before though, this has definitely been a huge change for me!!

Hi Guys, I can tell you from experience that the right probiotics can really be a help in getting your gut back to a balanced state. The problem is, there are a lot of crap pills out there that are not worth a damn. It really is good to seek advise and get the right product for you. The internet is full of marketing disguised as advise to sell "supplements" and other non regulated type products that are " not meant to cure or diagnose any disease or condition", but yet are marketed to do just that. Most of these products that are sold as "probiotics" are either not potent, have only a very small amount of active culture(millions instead of billions), and are loaded with fillers. The actual effective products do control overgrown yeast populations in the gut that can contribute to leaky and inflamed intestines and by products of yeast are CO2 and alcohol. Gas and toxin.

This eating plan is in itself one of the best ways to control these bad microbes in the gut, because it takes away their refined carbohydrate food supply and replaces it with lots of anti inflammatory fat, quality protein and hi fibre vegetables, all of which take a much longer time to be digested and form healthy long chain fatty acids and bulk forming mass in the gut. All of this is good for cleaning and healing. 

By my second Whole 30 I was not using probiotics at all and feel the best I ever have as far as my gut health goes.

Thank you Whole 30.

Thanks for the info on probiotics, yes I think I need to look into this & add to my routine as I continue with healthier eating habits! 

Go us!!!

I'm going to keep going with this with the exceptions of: beer on Thanksgiving & then maybe once a week, sweets on Christmas Day, & then sweets again on my birthday, which is in January. Thirty days does not seem like enough.

I took a hip hop class today, which was the first workout I've done in two months, due to back pain. I was surprised & pleased to see my reflection in the mirror. For the first time in years I did not think "Yikes! I have gotten so big!" Also, I can do push-ups now, which I couldn't do before the Whole30 because I was so heavy! Yay!!! Now it's time to start getting FIT!

Congrats all you 10/19'ers great job!! So happy for everyone who stuck it out the whole 30 days woo hoo!!!

I'm closing out day 27 here and I have been soooo hungry all day!! Throughout most of the Whole30 I have not snacked at all (didn't feel the urge to) but man today and yesterday caught me a little by surprise because I am feeling ravenous and definitely thinking about treats etc. I ate ALL the leftover broccoli tonight! I guess that's a lot better than eating "all the ice cream" which I would have done a month ago :) BUT it was so unusual for me to still be hungry after dinner. I have been working out more so maybe I haven't been eating enough during the day. But I did include a 4th meal today (after my workout) so I think I'm getting enough, and I really try to keep to the template, include some fat in each meal.  Uggghh so maybe this is just the sugar cravings giving me one last hurrah before the 30 days is up. I hope this feeling passes soon....  

Great job everyone!  I am going to continue except for a few days around Thanksgiving, Christmas/New Years.  I am feeling great and don't want to reintroduce yet.  I know something out there bothers me, and don't feel a need to know just yet.  After a W30 post 1/1ish, maybe I'll reintro then.

It is Day 30!  Not that I am doing anything different tomorrow, lol, but I DO feel a HUGE sense of accomplishment in myself for sticking to this, not breaking, and not giving up.  I will be interested in what the scales and measurements say, tomorrow....but like I said, this is not the end for me....so it is not the "end results" tomorrow.  

Hope everyone is super proud of themselves!!!!   :D

Congrats everyone, you hung in there and got it done. Now the hard part really starts, so don't give up, but enjoy the holiday season in a good way. You are armed with the tools you need to help you make the best choices and enjoy the things that "worth" it. No blowouts, no binges, just real enjoyment of the real good stuff in reasonable amounts. 

I know I will be. Best to all and enjoy the holiday season.

Chef Mike

• Moderators

Congrats all you 10/19'ers great job!! So happy for everyone who stuck it out the whole 30 days woo hoo!!!

I'm closing out day 27 here and I have been soooo hungry all day!! Throughout most of the Whole30 I have not snacked at all (didn't feel the urge to) but man today and yesterday caught me a little by surprise because I am feeling ravenous and definitely thinking about treats etc. I ate ALL the leftover broccoli tonight! I guess that's a lot better than eating "all the ice cream" which I would have done a month ago :) BUT it was so unusual for me to still be hungry after dinner. I have been working out more so maybe I haven't been eating enough during the day. But I did include a 4th meal today (after my workout) so I think I'm getting enough, and I really try to keep to the template, include some fat in each meal.  Uggghh so maybe this is just the sugar cravings giving me one last hurrah before the 30 days is up. I hope this feeling passes soon....  

It is possible that it's the sugar cravings -- those cravings for sugar that happen toward the end of the 30 days, when you think you're well past the cravings, is called an extinction burst. It's mentioned in this Dear Melissa article.

However, if you increase your workouts, you'll definitely need more food. Not to mention, there are just times when people are hungrier. Many women report that this happens in the week leading up to and the first few days of their period. If you are hungry -- the usual litmus test is that you'd eat plain fish and broccoli -- then definitely eat.

Archived