Starting October 19th - Anyone else?

jenvalet

DOUBLE DIGITS!!!!!!!!!   :D  Day 10, that is.  ;)

How is everyone?

I have a request..... I have a staff retreat this coming Monday until Tuesday afternoon.  I actually wrote this down when I was putting dates/social events that would be a challenge during the 30 days.  It is on a historic site with a dining hall.  I will be eating a lunch there on Monday, and a breakfast there on Tuesday, with a dinner out at a restaurant Monday evening.  I have told the coordinator to please let the chef know I have a dairy restriction (but this dining hall is a buffet style set up, I have been before, so I am nervous).  I am calling the restaurant I will be going to (pending my boss doesn't change his mind on where we are going....which could happen, I have not gotten him to confirm on exacts, lol) and I will bring what I can in my overnight bag that doesn't require refrigeration.... I need any other tips, and ideas of what I can carry for snacks on hand or to eat for meals.  thanks!

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, but no way is saying you've a dairy restriction gonna cut it here - you'll need to speak with the chef responsible for the catering and be clear about what you can and what you cannot have. You'll also need to ask about the oils used for cooking. Your best bet would be to request a specific meal - something like a dry grilled steak or fish, with roasted/steamed veg (if roasted be VERY clear about the oil), maybe a plain baked potato, and some guacamole or avocado on the side..... TELL him what you want, don't rely on someone passing on the information. The same applies for the restaurant - it is up to you to ask the questions, and do your best to order a compliant dish - otherwise you'll always be wondering what you actually ate...

As for what to bring: olives, home-made salad dressing, hard boiled eggs, jars of pickled veg, tins of fish, hardy veg like carrots/celery/peppers, compliant jerky..... 

Good luck!!

Sorry, but no way is saying you've a dairy restriction gonna cut it here - you'll need to speak with the chef responsible for the catering and be clear about what you can and what you cannot have. You'll also need to ask about the oils used for cooking. Your best bet would be to request a specific meal - something like a dry grilled steak or fish, with roasted/steamed veg (if roasted be VERY clear about the oil), maybe a plain baked potato, and some guacamole or avocado on the side..... TELL him what you want, don't rely on someone passing on the information. The same applies for the restaurant - it is up to you to ask the questions, and do your best to order a compliant dish - otherwise you'll always be wondering what you actually ate...

As for what to bring: olives, home-made salad dressing, hard boiled eggs, jars of pickled veg, tins of fish, hardy veg like carrots/celery/peppers, compliant jerky..... 

Good luck!!

I got the dairy restriction idea from a person in my group here locally who has done this before, but I see your point.   I can't really control a dining hall situation more than that until I get there.  But I won't eat a thing before I know what is done to it.  That I know.  I don't have refrigeration access, so I can't bring hard boiled eggs with me, or anything requiring refrigeration.  I can, however, bring Tessamae's compliant dressing for salad there, and cans of compliant tuna.  I made a list of what to bring, last evening...I am thinking almond butter, bananas, apples, celery, carrots, I have single serving compliant green beans, olives, avocados, and Lara bars.  I am at the point that even if I have to sit and drink a black coffee or a lime/lemon water while they eat, I don't care.  There are enough picky eaters out there/allergy ridden folks/etc that I will not stress about them looking at me like I am crazy ;)  I appreciate your advice, thanks!

Good luck ckc!  I would just ask for a salad and put your own compliant tuna on it- that way you don't have to worry about how any chicken or salmon was cooked.  Maybe take your dressing too in case there isn't any o.oil/vinegar available.

My Friday Sabbath spot is Panera.  I learned that not one soup or salad is compliant.  Now I know it is called Panera Bread and Bakery (or some such) but you would think that Side salad w/out dressing would be one of a few compliant offerings.

After making it through last weekend, not at all concerned about Halloween.  Will take hot tea to the after party to warm my wet and cold bones.  Have no problem staying compliant for a mere hershey bar.  That is what W30 can do for you!  If I am going to blow a day of eating with a dessert, it certainly will be worth it!

I'm day 9 here and for the first time I'm feeling less than enthusiastic about this. I know I won't be able to eat lunch until later (after 2:30) today, and I have a perfectly good lunch waiting at home, so I had a larabar and a small bottle of kombucha as a morning "snack" to stave off big hunger. But then I felt guilty because they're both sweet things so I feel like I "cheated" even though technically I didn't...  Well I guess it's true right around day 10 is pretty hard .... you guys are a couple days ahead of me, tell me I'll get over this hump :)) !!

I'm day 9 here and for the first time I'm feeling less than enthusiastic about this. I know I won't be able to eat lunch until later (after 2:30) today, and I have a perfectly good lunch waiting at home, so I had a larabar and a small bottle of kombucha as a morning "snack" to stave off big hunger. But then I felt guilty because they're both sweet things so I feel like I "cheated" even though technically I didn't...  Well I guess it's true right around day 10 is pretty hard .... you guys are a couple days ahead of me, tell me I'll get over this hump :)) !!

I had less struggle week one over this week.  Day 9 and 10 I was where you are at.  And even grouchy about it.  It was not a physical response, which last week was where I was at.  I do feel much better today about it, so just hang in there!  AND you didn't cheat.  Some days are like that, and while you don't want that habit everyday, I think the fact that you look at those things as "cheating" tells you how committed to this you are...both are compliant, and you also see the fact that it is not ideal.  BUT you did not cheat!   :)  

Way to go Bernie!  No cheating on your part!  The only word of caution is if you typically used sweets and/or "granola bars" to feel satiated, then don't let yourself get back into that habit.  For example, before my first W30, peanut butter on a spoon, on veggies, on apples, on my finger.... was a big downfall for me.  So, now I avoid almond butter even though it is approved in small amounts.  This way I am not replacing one nut butter with another.

After you hit day 11 or 12, you will really be over the hump.  Then it is just plain endurance.

Way to go Bernie!  No cheating on your part!  The only word of caution is if you typically used sweets and/or "granola bars" to feel satiated, then don't let yourself get back into that habit.  For example, before my first W30, peanut butter on a spoon, on veggies, on apples, on my finger.... was a big downfall for me.  So, now I avoid almond butter even though it is approved in small amounts.  This way I am not replacing one nut butter with another.

I think that's why I was feeling guitly... because it did feel a bit like an old habit -- I know I *could* have grabbed something besides a lara bar..but I chose the lara bar anyway  :unsure: .  I think I got it out of my system though - I have a nice veggie stew and grilled chicken on tap for dinner tonight. Looking forward to getting over this little hump!

Hi guys,

That is one of the largest parts of this plan, to break your psychological bonds you have with curtain foods and food groups. Most of which were formed in our childhood and early adulthood. Some are coping mechanisms for stress and depression. Some are just habits we have built up over time. It becomes a chemical dependency just like a drug habit. Getting over the fact that you don't "need" any of those foods for anything other than the personal satisfaction of feeding the "beast" or because that's just what you do on this day or night as a tradition(habit), can be very empowering all by itself. Not thinking about it at those times is another matter, and practicing new "good" habits and behaviors is all part of the change that you need to embrace. Not temporarily or for an occasion, but because you know it's going to be good for you and those around you.

These first days may be hard, but the real work is coming in the form of sustainability, otherwise all this effort is wasted when you decide to negotiate your way back to cookies, cake and bread. That will be here before you know it, but being prepared is the best strategy for when that time comes.

ChefMike 

Speaking of finding a sustainable way to eat this way, it is challenging to spend the necessary amount of time on cooking & planning while being a single mom of two young children 6 days a week. Nevertheless, I'm doing it. I love learning how to cook new things. And, I've gone from a size 12 to a size 10 almost 8, which feels good. I am looking forward to fitting into my nicer smaller clothes & having more energy to dance!

still here and doing well.  feeling great, looking so much healthier.  dreading thanksgiving.  may just eat my dad's stuffing, drink some wine and go right back on.  Will eventually go ACAP (as clean as possible) but for now am enjoying the program and lack of freedom I feel due to my choice to comply. :D

I'm also still here & finding it easier every day to stick with the plan. I got the Well Fed cookbook and just made up a couple different sauces for the week, lamb meatballs, spaghetti squash, etc.. Can't wait to try it all!   I feel pretty good you guys!

cvanfarowe I too am planning my Thanksgiving stragegy, wondering what will really be worth it or not... wine & stuffing sounds pretty yummy, then back to the plan  :D

Congrats Chef Mike on fitting the jeans - yeah!!  My pants are fitting a little better too these days! 

The 2nd half of Whole30 is definitely easier than the first...

Hey all!

I am still here, too!  Day 22!!!  Out of the 8 that started in my group, there are 2 of us left!  :huh: But we are a strong 2!!  I had a staff planning retreat Nov 2-3 that I had asked advice about....and I am pleased to say it went amazingly well!  The chef's at the place we stayed were amazing to me.  Made me my own potatoes in olive oil, boiled chicken, steamed veggies....breakfast they made my eggs in olive oil, fresh fruit and veggies....and we went out to eat at Cantino Laredo, where they did my own special off the menu plate of shrimp with only salt and pepper on a bed of fresh spinach and sliced avocado.  I was surprised at how nice and helpful all were.  

I am down a whole size, with wiggle room in it, and I feel great!  I will be doing a second round as I want to lose all my weight this way, and also maintain my healthiness!  Any others repeating?

Hey all!

I am still here, too! Day 22!!! Out of the 8 that started in my group, there are 2 of us left! :huh: But we are a strong 2!! I had a staff planning retreat Nov 2-3 that I had asked advice about....and I am pleased to say it went amazingly well! The chef's at the place we stayed were amazing to me. Made me my own potatoes in olive oil, boiled chicken, steamed veggies....breakfast they made my eggs in olive oil, fresh fruit and veggies....and we went out to eat at Cantino Laredo, where they did my own special off the menu plate of shrimp with only salt and pepper on a bed of fresh spinach and sliced avocado. I was surprised at how nice and helpful all were.

I am down a whole size, with wiggle room in it, and I feel great! I will be doing a second round as I want to lose all my weight this way, and also maintain my healthiness! Any others repeating?

I'm so glad the planning retreat chefs were so great! Congratulations on sticking to it even though almost everyone else in your group quit.

I am planning on continuing past 30 days. I think I will just have a beer on Thanksgiving & then get back on it.

ok, so I had someone who has done whole30 text me today to be "careful when getting Starbucks, there aren't any compliant drinks there!!" as she knows I get their brew, black, there at times during this whole30.  I had looked on the website to make sure the ones I get are not flavored with non compliant ingredients.....like I get the Thanksgiving Blend (a dark brew) black...and today I got the Christmas Blend (a Sumatra dark brew) black....I bring it to work and add my own coconut milk....... Please someone tell me, this IS compliant is it not?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! It is black brew..... at day 23, I would hate to think....  :(

ok, so I had someone who has done whole30 text me today to be "careful when getting Starbucks, there aren't any compliant drinks there!!" as she knows I get their brew, black, there at times during this whole30.  I had looked on the website to make sure the ones I get are not flavored with non compliant ingredients.....like I get the Thanksgiving Blend (a dark brew) black...and today I got the Christmas Blend (a Sumatra dark brew) black....I bring it to work and add my own coconut milk....... Please someone tell me, this IS compliant is it not?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! It is black brew..... at day 23, I would hate to think....  :(

Calories in Starbucks Christmas Blend (Bold) (Via)
Nutrition Facts
Starbucks - Christmas Blend (Bold) (Via)  
Calories 5 Sodium 0 mg Total Fat 0 g Potassium 0 mg Saturated 0 g Total Carbs 0 g Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 0 g Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 0 g Trans 0 g Protein 0 g Cholesterol 0 mg     Vitamin A 0% Calcium 0% Vitamin C 0% Iron 0%

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Everyone still out there?? Day 24 for me ... less than a week til the "finish"! I am going out for dinner tonight, I checked the menu so I have my (boring) order ready ha ha...  I'm feeling good, for the most part. Part of why I started this Whole30 is because I seem to have a really sensitive tummy (I won't go into detail) & I'm not sure what triggers these episodes & irregularity. Well.... it really hasn't changed much, in fact this past week it's gotten worse. So... it has me wondering if my sensitivity is something like eggs. I feel great in all other regards so I will stick it out the 30 days (and beyond) but I was really hoping to find an answer to my tummy woes.  Very curious about reintroducing foods as well to get some more clues as to what's going on. 

Hope you are all hanging in there - would love to know how everyone is feeling now in the home stretch!

Archived