Starting October 19th - Anyone else?

jenvalet

What does everyone else do to trigger that weekend feeling that does not involve food/drinks?

How about treating yourself to something special like a mani/pedi, a massage, a decadent magazine that you like but don't usually buy, some live music (AFTER you've had a satisfying Whole30 compliant dinner)....? I like drinking sparkling water when I'm in the mood for a treat.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've noticed a flatter/smaller belly, though it was very slight and only I would notice. It was pretty immediate. I haven't had any psychological changes yet, but my head doesn't get too much into it until the first weekend. For me, the second weekend is the hardest point of the program but the first weekend is right up there. I'm dreading it (it's only two days away!). What does everyone else do to trigger that weekend feeling that does not involve food/drinks?

I'm worrying about this too a little bit...

I have weekend game nights that consist of booze (typically cider for me) and pizza, or brats, chips, etc.  I don't expect everyone to adjust their food preferences for me, but at the very least I will make some delicious foods for myself.  I was thinking I could do the watermelon salad, chicken or shrimp skewers, etc.  I think if I have enough good real food here, then I won't be as tempted to eat the bad stuff.

I like MayaBee's suggestions too!  My situation is more weekend social related, but if you're referring to more of a personal routine, then find something non-food related to treat yourself to, maybe a movie (home or theater), go for a walk (weather permitting), soak in the tub with a good book, etc.

Hi everyone,

I'm going to start on 10/19 as well. I'm a busy working mom of 2 and my biggest concern is just finding the time to learn how to do the food right and make what I need. I'm doing this because I've just never felt quite right after baby #2 (she's 20 months). I have a lot of back and hip/glute pain and my tailbone is out of alignment. I heard that this was an anti-inflamation diet, so hoping to see if I can cure some of these ailments without having to see a doctor.

I think the thing I am most nervous about is breakfast. And also general flow of meals/snacks throughout the day. Any good recos for breakfast that are easy for working moms? Good smoothie recipes perhaps? Also, is Whole30 anti-snacking? I'm a bit confused about the flow of meals throughout the day (ie. time between main meals, allowances for snacks etc). Fyi, I'm not going to be cooking a ton...we have someone who cooks us 4 family dinners/week, so we're having them prepared in-line with Whole30. To fill in the blanks I need easy stuff for breakfast, lunch and maybe one or two other dinners, so any tips are appreciated. I'm not a fish person.

I'm excited about how I will feel 31 days from now. Scared about navigating this week with work, kids and husband.

I've never been a forum person, but if it will help, I'm in!

Best,

Dana

Hey there! I started on Monday too. Doing frozen meals ahead of time has been great! Onceamonthmeals.com is fantastic. Their sausage, egg, sweet potato & spinach breakfast has been my favorite. And it takes 1-2 min in the micro then you're done! You can totally do this!

Hi all! I technically started yesterday on my full second Whole 30 (have attempted a few but not really committed), however made a silly mistake by taking some supplements (joint care) that contained some dextrose - they were in my mouth without me even thinking.... As I am planning more of a Whole60, I am just adding a day at the end.

My first Whole30 was in mid-2013 and it was extremely successful. I should have extended it, as I don't think I tackled my control issues with certain foods and never really did the re-introduction phase. I'm in in for the long-haul this time as I'm tired of the roller coaster I've been on - so relieved to be back with Whole30 and the overall health I will be achieving. 

Meditation and mindfulness is also going to be a big part of my journey.

I look forward to the support from you all and also look forward to helping where I can! :)

lmcbrien,

Day 3 is going excellent. No hangover or headaches. Since I stayed mostly clean after my Aug-Sept23 Wh30, this is turning out to be a pretty easy transition.

Gglad to have you back in the fold. Hope you find what you are looking for this go around. It seems to be a reoccurring theme with people who have tried Whole30 and had success, that they need to continue to stay on the program in order to deal with the issues that brought them to Whl30 in the first place.

luv2cuba,

You should consult your nutritionist, but you should make sure that a good percentage of the calories at each of your meals is fat. This will help withthe fullness/satiation and give you the nutrition and calories you need. It will also help to regulate the energy process, which will switch to fat metabolizing and reset your hormonal balance. Fat packs a lot of punch in a small package. A thumb size portion can be 220 kcal and lots of vitamins.

So far so good! I started Oct 19. I had made several meals Sunday- grilled chicken, ground turkey, tomato sauce, salsa, roasted squash- and I bagged emergency snacks for work too (plantains, almonds, dates). My sweet tooth still gets me and I find I can address it with my decaf coffee/tea with a splash of coconut milk. Are the snacks and coffee a terrible idea? Snacls are small portions. Two small victories yesterday as had a luncheon and asked for the chicken plain grilled with asparagus, and evening reception where i just drank water.

Also have a headache today but in my jaw area. Most bizarre! However, this is the first time I have commited to changing the way I eat and stuck it out, so I'm not about to break the rules now!

Good luck with day 4 everyone!

... I bagged emergency snacks for work too (plantains, almonds, dates). My sweet tooth still gets me and I find I can address it with my decaf coffee/tea with a splash of coconut milk. Are the snacks and coffee a terrible idea? 

The dates are sugar bombs and will actually feed your craving - only fat will work to stamp out a sugar craving. The coffee is an appetite suppressant so probably not a good idea in this instance - maybe opt for a herbal tea, or fruit infused water? (The tea with coconut would be okay here) Snacking really isn't ideal unless you are genuinely hungry. Could you try a distraction technique that isn't food related like a walk in the fresh air? Or painting your nails etc?

Are the plantains commercially prepared?

Ideally you want to get yourself to a point where you are not hungry enough to snack between meals so maybe re-visit the meal template (remembering that these are minimums & that it's okay to eat more if you need it) and up the fat content over the next few days to try & stamp out those cravings.

Hi all!  So a few days in now.   It's been pretty good except for today.  I packed my lunch for work and forgot it!!  I was able to grab a banana and some hard boiled eggs at the 7-11 here, but all I have are almonds at work.  The closest restaurants are Qdoba, Subway and Au Bon Pain, so those are OUT!  I don't want to starve myself, so I hope I can make it until I get home.

How are you all doing?

Doing okay still... definitely starting to mourn all of the foods I'm used to eating, but at the same time I'm feeling better physically (going to bed on time now, clearer head, etc.) so I think it's a pretty fair exchange.  Last night was exhausting for me because I spent the entire evening prepping food for today so I can have today mostly free.  The struggle for me is that I have a job where I'm on call, so I need to make sure that I have my day time freed up in case I get called in.  This means I have to do any lengthy preparations the night before.  So I'm just figuring out how to manage my time, and not have to be in the kitchen so much.  I feel like I live there now!

Doing okay still... definitely starting to mourn all of the foods I'm used to eating, but at the same time I'm feeling better physically (going to bed on time now, clearer head, etc.) so I think it's a pretty fair exchange.  Last night was exhausting for me because I spent the entire evening prepping food for today so I can have today mostly free.  The struggle for me is that I have a job where I'm on call, so I need to make sure that I have my day time freed up in case I get called in.  This means I have to do any lengthy preparations the night before.  So I'm just figuring out how to manage my time, and not have to be in the kitchen so much.  I feel like I live there now!

It's obviously early days for you yet, but lots of folk find that doing a large prep session on a day off is a big help. You can prep large batches of actual recipes, or go the route of prepping separate veggies dishes and proteins (say a whole chicken, a pork shoulder and some ground chillied beef or beef in a tomato sauce so as you have some variety) and then you just have to mix & match proteins, veggies & add a fat ready for each meal.

I also tend to freeze one portion of every thing I make so that for at  least one meal the next week I literally just grab something from the freezer & go.

Once you get the hang of it the prep time gets less & less as you have tried & tested recipes you tend to use...

Hi all!  So a few days in now.   It's been pretty good except for today.  I packed my lunch for work and forgot it!!  I was able to grab a banana and some hard boiled eggs at the 7-11 here, but all I have are almonds at work.  The closest restaurants are Qdoba, Subway and Au Bon Pain, so those are OUT!  I don't want to starve myself, so I hope I can make it until I get home.

How are you all doing?

Hey! I know for me you can go to subway and get a chopped salad and get whatever veggies and then I get chicken heated up with it .. it is really good. just don't add any sauces and you'll be great! I hope today went okay for you?

Hey! I know for me you can go to subway and get a chopped salad and get whatever veggies and then I get chicken heated up with it .. it is really good. just don't add any sauces and you'll be great! I hope today went okay for you?

Did you ask about seasonings and the cooking oil used to cook the chicken?

I was wondering the same thing about the Subway chicken.

On a side note, I've been feeling especially hungry today!  Not sure what it is, but it feels like I'm just not getting enough to eat.  I've been distracting myself with other things, and I also had some poached eggs in the mid-afternoon to tide me over until dinner, but it's definitely been nagging on me today.  It's not so much craving the bad stuff; I'd be willing to eat something healthy if it was prepared, but I'm too tired and I have too much to do to spend much time cooking right now.

I'm hanging in there until dinner time.  I have a brisket that just finished in the slow cooker.  I stole a piece to test it... you know, for science.... and it's delicious!

• Moderators

No I didn't.. well I will definitely have to ask next time I go. wow I didn't even think about that!! :unsure:

For any chain restaurant, look online and see if they have an allergen menu. It doesn't tell you absolutely everything you need to know (sweeteners are not usually allergens and won't be listed, and most don't list sulfites) but it covers obvious things like soy, dairy, and peanuts, so you can automatically rule some things out. Then you figure out which ones don't have obvious allergens, and ask about those things.

For instance, you can check Subway's (US ones, anyway -- Canada and other countries may be different) allergen list here.

Oh man... having a rough time right now.  I came home from work and saw a box of brownies on the table!  Someone had already gotten into it too, and there was a clump of it on the table that had fallen out.  I picked up the box and the small piece of brownie and for a brief moment had strong temptation to eat that little bite.  Instead I threw the clump away and put the brownie tin on the counter and covered it with a paper towel.

A bit frustrated that they would leave something like that out in plain sight when they know I'm doing this whole30.  Now it's on my brain.  I would go to a starbucks or something and get an unsweetened iced tea and study, but I don't really have time.  I have to sit here with the brownie box until I go to work again.

I'm having leftover brisket, broccoli, and butternut squash for lunch.  Hopefully between eating that and reading, I can get my mind off of it.  But right now I just feel sad. :(

I'm having leftover brisket, broccoli, and butternut squash for lunch.  Hopefully between eating that and reading, I can get my mind off of it.  But right now I just feel sad. :(

Brownies are not leaving the planet any time soon.  You can choose to have a brownie whenever you want after you finish your Whole30.

You can do this!

So I woke up today feeling nauseous and my stomach feels like it's on fire.  Of course I want nothing more than to reach for some crackers or bread.  This sucks. I have sweet potatoes, but I don't even feel like eating that.  Hope this is normal and I'm not getting sick.  I have a vendor fair I will be at ALL day and I am packing foods to get me through the day.  Wish me luck.

Oh man... having a rough time right now.  I came home from work and saw a box of brownies on the table!  Someone had already gotten into it too, and there was a clump of it on the table that had fallen out.  I picked up the box and the small piece of brownie and for a brief moment had strong temptation to eat that little bite.  Instead I threw the clump away and put the brownie tin on the counter and covered it with a paper towel.

A bit frustrated that they would leave something like that out in plain sight when they know I'm doing this whole30.  Now it's on my brain.  I would go to a starbucks or something and get an unsweetened iced tea and study, but I don't really have time.  I have to sit here with the brownie box until I go to work again.

Delaeden,

I've had this issue with bread products when my girlfriend wasn't doing Whole 30 with me the last time. First, you are going to have to learn to deal with the fact that other people are not doing this plan and you are. Get over it, move on and deal with your will power issues at home the same way you would deal with them at work or anywhere else. You are the only one who chooses what you put into your mouth. You are the one who has to take responsibility for that and let other eat what they eat regardless of what you are doing. This is a life change, not a quick fix or fad program, so you are going to keep having these issues. You are going to have to learn strategies to help you deal with this. You are in control lust like always. The best strategy is "Just don't do it", and move on to something else, preferably not food related and a solution.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Delaeden,

I've had this issue with bread products when my girlfriend wasn't doing Whole 30 with me the last time. First, you are going to have to learn to deal with the fact that other people are not doing this plan and you are. Get over it, move on and deal with your will power issues at home the same way you would deal with them at work or anywhere else. You are the only one who chooses what you put into your mouth. You are the one who has to take responsibility for that and let other eat what they eat regardless of what you are doing. This is a life change, not a quick fix or fad program, so you are going to keep having these issues. You are going to have to learn strategies to help you deal with this. You are in control lust like always. The best strategy is "Just don't do it", and move on to something else, preferably not food related and a solution.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Part of the reason I chose to do this is because I suck at sticking to my guns whenever I try to "eat healthy."  I always end up caving in because something is available, or someone offers me something, or I see someone else having some.  So that's part of why I'm doing the whole30.  I figure having serious, no fuss rules will help me a lot.  And if I can get through 30 day of resisting temptations and staying true to myself, then I'm that much closer to having the healthy food lifestyle I'm always fantasizing about. (How hard will it be to say no to something bad for me on a semi-frequent occasion, when I've already done it consistently for 30 days??)

I think the hardest part of it was stopping my automatic response to sweets (see sweets = eat sweets), plus I had hoped that home would be a "safe haven" from strongly tempting foods.  I can handle not having breads, dairies, etc.  I don't really mind if someone has a beer in front of me.  This one was just harder than any of the others because I love chocolate so much, but I did it!  If anything, it left me feeling "tested" by who left them out (they know what I'm doing and aren't really supportive), which just brings out my competitive nature.  It's helping me practice standing up for myself; this is what I want for me, regardless of what others think.

Good morning all! :) I know exactly what you mean with the waking up nauseous! The reason for mine is that I didn't get to bed til after 12:30 and that never happens anymore so I think it's from that ..

Last night I had a dream I was eating pure sugar!! It felt so real!!!

I had a food dream too!  I was at a potluck buffet that had a bunch of food.  I began to taste a homemade muffin, but then stopped myself, remembering my whole 30.  The I realized I just blew it.  I contemplated if I could get away with tasting and just keep doing it, and then realized I REALLY blew it because I was drinking cider!!!  And then I woke up.  Yay!

No nausea today, but I feel a headache lurking in the back of my head... I think it's just from dehydration though, so I'm downing a big glass of water.

So I woke up today feeling nauseous and my stomach feels like it's on fire.  Of course I want nothing more than to reach for some crackers or bread.  This sucks. I have sweet potatoes, but I don't even feel like eating that.  Hope this is normal and I'm not getting sick.  I have a vendor fair I will be at ALL day and I am packing foods to get me through the day.  Wish me luck.

Feel better Jen, and good luck today!  You got this!  There might be some helpful food advice in the forums for having the flu while on whole30.

Hi all,

I haven't posted in a few days, but I am still here :)

The last few days have been a little difficult for reasons I won't go in to, but didn't really feel like I was getting the support I should have, almost to the point of interference. Ugh. Add on top of this being unexpectedly hormonal on Day 3 and 4 (sorry guys).....

Despite this, I held strong only through the thought of how much better I am going to feel later on and what a waste these days would be if I chose to eat something off plan.

Onwards and upwards! 

Hi October 19ers! I started on the 21st but that was not a popular day so I've been lurking your thread since it's much more active :)  Mind if I come along on this journey with you? I'm on day 4 so it's fun to look ahead a couple days & see how you all are doing. So far so good here ... it hasn't been easy but hasn't been as bad as i thought it would be either.  

Archived