Starting October 19th - Anyone else?

jenvalet

I am also planning on a starting the 19th!!!!! Please share any easy breakfast tips with me...I struggle most with eating breakfast! and indulging in sweet lol 

Hi Rosemaria, the biggest advise I can give anyone about breakfast on the Whole30, is to prep, prep, prep. The more items you have made ahead of time, the better prepared you will be at most peoples least wanting to eat time of the day. Once you body readjusts it's cordesol levels, you will want to eat in the morning and good food needs to be ready and easy to access. Think microwave/quick saute' or steam. Toaster oven is a lifesaver in the morning, because you and prep it in the evening, pop it in the toaster over while you get ready for your day. When your ablutions or done and your dressed, that food is warm and ready. Also if you are a morning workout person, you will need to have something small before you workout and your regular morning meal within 75 min after. Planning ahead makes this lifestyle so much easier.

:rolleyes:

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This looks like a big group so I'm excited to jump in! I'm going to pre-portion some lunches for the week andh prep some HB eggs for breakfasts.  My downfall is absolutely social events- eating and drinking are both hard for me when other people are involved. But I really need one last big push this year. I lost a lot of weight earlier in the year (after having a baby and then working hard to get *most* of the weight off) and still have that last 10 lbs to go. Well, 12, if I'm being honest. ;) More than the weight, though, I want to wake up without creaky ankles and knees in the morning and experience that youthful glow I always get when I cut out dairy and alcohol. Here we go!

Im starting today!! Glad we are all in this together. I made a post about my day. I'm thinking about around dinner time, just prepping some sauces. Or not :P I am going to have to prep them eventually. Glas i have a LOAD of mason jars. :)

I already prepped breakfast for the week. Eggs + some other protein + veg in muffin tins = key to success. I make enough for me and my boyfriend. I also made sweet potato hash + apple + cinnamon. That one is hard work, with cutting those potatoes into thin strips, even with the help of a spiralizer/mandolin. I also bought the cut-proof glove to make using these tools easier. 

My recomendation for whole 30 goers is to become educated on the proper ways of preparing and storing food, having lots of storage containers on hand, and a good partner to help clean the kitchen or chop up some veggies as you are doing most of the work planning and cooking ;) It is hard work, especially if youre doing it for 2, but having a person willing to do the whole 30 by your side is awesome. !! And our moms are doing it too hehe

I'm in!  This is my 2nd go round.  Having a routine helps.  

I found it most helpful to cook a big dinner with extra meat and extra veggies.  Breakfast the next day would be eggs with the leftover veggies, and lunch would be salad with the leftover meat.  As long as I was always prepared for dinner, the first 2 meals of the next day were no-brainers.

I also have a bad habit of sweets at night.  If I get in the habit of brushing my teeth right after dinner that helps too.

I've been having the hardest time getting back getting the 2nd Whole30 going.  I hope being part of this group helps.

Let's do this!

HI! I started on Oct 13th following a very dirty Canadian Thanksgiving. Luckly my husband has joined me on the adventure. I love cooking and coming up with new inventions. Unfortunatey, I have a talent for taking a healthy dish and making is very unhealthy with added cheese and other lovely additions. The Whole30 is challenging us to use REAL food. It's amazing how great dishes with fresh produce and meat can taste. It makes us question why would ever not eat this way.

We had our first real challenge this weekend when we visited our friend's place for the weekend. We have done many weekends away and they have always been a distaster... wine, wine, wine, cider, chips, baked goods, pizza, more wine. Preparing to go away we advised them that we were following the Whole30. They were extremely supportive and insisted that we plan our meals in advance so they could ensure that all the food was available. They supported us, cutting back on their bread consumption and limiting their alcohol intake. In the end, they loved the food we made and are going to make more of an effort to add more veggies to their diet. It's nice to see that we are not only making a change in our lives but we are improving the lives of our friends. I wanted to share one recipe that we made together. We visited an orchard near by that is known for their apple donuts. The smell was devine but we focused on selecting honey crisp apples so we could celebrate the fall but keep on track. We made applesauce when we returned home. For us this dish takes all dessert cravings away as it leaves an apple pie aftertaste.

http://www.food.com/recipe/quick-homemade-applesauce-no-sugar-added-201473?photo=63322

I'm starting tomorrow as well!! I have done it this past April to May and I loved it! I even went to a wedding while on it! :) and I loved what the whole30 did for my body when I was done it I decided to do it again now so that I have a clean face for my wedding! :) which is in 34 days :) as long as I don't consume any dairy and bread between day 31 and day 34 I should be good for having a healthy mind and body for the wedding day!! Last time I didn't use the forum for and now I'm reading how many of you are starting tomorrow I am definately excited to go on this adventure with all of you!! :) good luck everyone!

I wanted to share one recipe that we made together. We visited an orchard near by that is known for their apple donuts. The smell was devine but we focused on selecting honey crisp apples so we could celebrate the fall but keep on track. We made applesauce when we returned home. For us this dish takes all dessert cravings away as it leaves an apple pie aftertaste.

http://www.food.com/recipe/quick-homemade-applesauce-no-sugar-added-201473?photo=63322

Hi Maria and welcome to Whole30

I just wanted to comment that if you are having dessert cravings the best approach is to stamp them out with fat & protein - not feed them with more sugar. Try a handful of olives, or a few bites of chicken dipped in mayo next time a craving strikes that won't go away with a distraction technique.

The dish you have linked to would be fine to use as a sauce alongside pork, within a recipe, or as an accompaniment to a meal, but I wouldn't recommend using this at the end of a meal in place of a dessert. Cleanse your palette with some pickled goods, or try some fruit infused water or herbal tea if you feel you need something more after having eaten your protein, veg & fats.

Good luck to everyone starting today, and any questions just ask!

So I finished my first W30 on 9/23 w/ChefMike.  I am glad to start again and get the Tiger Energy back.

I am also the only one in my house doing the program- husband and kids are not.  Since I am fortunate enough to stay home, the prep, although time consuming, is definitely worth it.

I forget who has meal prep done for her- busy mom I remember- you should prep on your own too.  Cut up veggies, veggies and more veggies for your week.  Plus have a couple of emergency meals on hand- chicken, fish, etc. that you can cook up real quick, add some veggies to it and some avocado or cook in fat.  I am afraid if you don't do prep on your own, you will find yourself in a bind and blow the W30 because life happens, especially when you are working and have kids.  So better to be prepared.

I do not eat eggs, so all my breakfasts consist of meat patty (chicken, burger or turkey) a serving of fruit and a few sunflower seeds, almonds or guac on the side.  Some folks seemed concerned about using almonds as a fat, but it worked for me.  I still lost 13 lbs. the first W30.

Good luck everyone!

Today is day 1 for me too! Fortunately, my husband is supportive and on board too! Last night we did some meal prep-a breakfast casserole to re-heat in the mornings and we have a tex mex casserole in the fridge to pop in the oven when I get home from work. So far so good :) Along with others I am excited and nervous. I want to do this. This morning I told myself I love food but I love me more. 

Everyone, I just made and ate my first frittata from the recipe in the Whole30 cookbook, and it's delicious!!!!  What a great start to the program, I'm feeling very good about this.  I ended up using coconut oil since I haven't gotten my kitchen materials to make my clarified butter (my special tools i ordered are all lost in the mail! :( ).  But the coconut oil actually made it really delicious!

I'm going to clean up breakfast and make the mexican tuna (tuna, avocados, etc.) recipe and put it on celery sticks.  I won't have time to make lunch later, so I need something I can take on the go and eat in my car between work sessions.  I also need to prep for dinner.  *sigh*

The amount of time spent cooking is overwhelming a bit, but I'm hoping I'll get faster with it as I get more familiar with the recipes.

quick question: i'm new to forums. is there a way to get email updates every time someone posts here or do you just have to check back?

Yes, you can get email updates when people post on this topic (otherwise known as a thread).  

At the top right of the page, under View New Content, click on "Follow This Topic." Select how frequently you want to be notified and click on the Follow this Topic button.

Then set your notification settings in your profile.

- On the black navigation bar across the top of the page, click on your username which displays a menu of choices. Select "My Settings."

- On the left hand navigation, select "Notification Options."

- Click in the Email box for anything for which you'd like to receive email. 

- When done, click on the "Save Changes" button

All right team 10/19- how'd you all do today? I always love Day 1 of anything because of the joy of starting a new challenge. Day 10 is a lot tougher.  I had no social food situations so my day was easy. We'll see what happens at my first of (many) lunch meetings on Wednesday, and then a friend's 30th birthday party bar crawl (argh!) on Saturday. Forming new habits is crucial. 

Maria- those apples sounded delicious! Delaeden, I definitely find the cooking/prep work to be overwhelming too but in the past I've freed myself from the constraints of normal "meals" and had a lot more luck. A pile of ground beef + a ton of baby carrots? Dinner! Three hardboiled eggs and a banana? Breakfast! I have plenty of fun cooking big fancy meals or lovingly blending some root vegetable soups, but scrambled eggs and an apple are also an acceptable meal. 

Off to bed and then onto day 2. I can't wait to watch the days line up (everyone else has an OCD checklist of the days, right?). It's the best feeling. 

Chef Mike....  explain cabbage noodles please....

Seafarer, you can make a noodle like texture from cabbage or greens with a mandelin (slicer) and the leaves. I use savoy cabbage because the leaves are more delicate and even in thickness. Also the leaves of Collard greens with the stems removed, can be sliced to any thickness and as with the cabbages, steamed or boiled or sautee'd/stir fried to the desired doneness and mixed into or sauced just like any other noodle,

Day 1, done and dusted. This is my second time around and I am prepped and ready to go for the gusto. Hope to lose a bit more weight this time around, so I will be watching my protein intake very carefully. Fortunately I love veggies and the transition back to coconut milk for my coffee was seamless.

Best of luck everybody.

So far so good today.  My mexican tuna on celery worked out well, and I had some leftovers to snack on on the drive home because I got stuck in traffic.  I did come down with a headache today... not sure if it's food/drink related (less caffeine), or something unrelated, but I'm trudging through it.  I made a nice dinner of potatoes, spinach, and chicken which my honey is enjoying with me (he even ate the spinach, which he never really eats!)

And I got my food processor and other stuff in the mail today!  Yay!  Now I can go make my sauces and my clarified butter!

slesca - I will probably start doing breakfasts like that as well, particularly on days that I don't have a lot of time. I was doing those kinds of meals for myself before starting the Whole30, and it's a great option for my busier mornings!  On the upside, my frittata is delicious and will last me a couple of days, so the time spent making it was worth it.

Today went really well for me too! I made a breakfast casserole that will last a few days. This is going to be a challenge for me since I don't like to eat for a bit in the morning but I figured I could heat this up pretty easy.  I made a big batch of soup for lunch, that is wonderful, and baked some chicken to have as well. Got my fruit and veggies all washed and ready to go as well. I feel like its been a good start. :)

All right team 10/19- how'd you all do today? I always love Day 1 of anything because of the joy of starting a new challenge. Day 10 is a lot tougher.  I had no social food situations so my day was easy. We'll see what happens at my first of (many) lunch meetings on Wednesday, and then a friend's 30th birthday party bar crawl (argh!) on Saturday. Forming new habits is crucial. 

Maria- those apples sounded delicious! Delaeden, I definitely find the cooking/prep work to be overwhelming too but in the past I've freed myself from the constraints of normal "meals" and had a lot more luck. A pile of ground beef + a ton of baby carrots? Dinner! Three hardboiled eggs and a banana? Breakfast! I have plenty of fun cooking big fancy meals or lovingly blending some root vegetable soups, but scrambled eggs and an apple are also an acceptable meal.

Off to bed and then onto day 2. I can't wait to watch the days line up (everyone else has an OCD checklist of the days, right?). It's the best feeling. 

For best results try to build your meals to match the recommended meal template & don't let fruit push the veggies off of your plate. If you've had the 1-3 cups of veggies recommended then reach for that banana...

Archived