Alcohol Post Whole30

czrider

OK, I must be the only alkie on the forum...... :wub:  :ph34r: . I am so looking forward to having a cocktail or two on DAY 30.   Does anyone have any suggestions on how to drink alcohol post Whole30?   I'm a retired teacher and my friend and I drink LOTS of wine. And I love my Jack Daniels.   What is the best (least damaging) alcohol suggested.   ANYONE?

I"m on day 28 now.  I've loved the program (excuse me.....life style)).   I want to be a Whole30 junkie, but I need to add alcohol... any advice???   And please don't tell me I'm on the wrong forum LOL...  

Happy Whole30ing to all!!!! :) Loved it.  Gonna do it again. Thinking every other month.... :D

• Moderators

I don't know that there's any alcohol that's less bad overall. It's something you want to pay attention to in your reintroductions. Some people find some varieties of red wine give them headaches. If you react to gluten during reintros you may want to avoid beer. You really just have to figure out what's worth it to you.

Also consider that people sometimes find that having a drink or two causes them to make poor choices with the food they're eating. That's a reaction you'd want to pay attention to and consider when deciding whether that drink is worth it.

You could google whole30 alcohol and see how this has been discussed before, because I know it has been. You're not the only one to be wanting wine on day 31.

• Moderators

my friend and I drink LOTS of wine. And I love my Jack Daniels.   What is the best (least damaging) alcohol suggested.   

Please note as others have said that there are things with alcohol that may used to have not bothered you before (or that you didn't notice) but with a cleaner system, booze and you might not mix as well.

Some people report:

rashes (from the sulfites in wine)

terrible sleep (sometimes for days afterward)

headaches

bloating for days afterwards

the blues/mild depression/feelings of sadness

You may find some alcohol is easier on you than other types and that's a personal thing just like everything else so you need to experiment... which may sound like a party, but it can be a pretty rude awakening if you have an adverse reaction... so plan your party well!

Alcohol is metabolized exclusively in the liver and does not stimulate the release of insulin which is the big enemy of people like me who suffer from the metabolic syndrome. Things to know if you’re going to drink alcohol is that many forms can torpedo any weight loss.

The worst offenders are beers, even lite ones, sweet wines though all wines contain carbs the dry ones contain the least and some drinks like hard cider and lemonade are as bad as drinking Coke.  Drinks like Rum, Scotch, Whiskey and Vodka have zero carbs if you drink them with water. However, Scotch and Whiskey are made from plants in the wheat family which is associated with autoimmune conditions.

Excess consumption of alcohol overwhelms the liver's ability to metabolize alcohol and use it for energy, the liver responds by converting it to fat but in that pathway the liver is unable to get it out of the liver cells quickly so high consumption leads to a fatty buildup in liver cells, and eventually cirrhosis (a term for a very swollen fatty liver with significant scar tissue). In time this will lead to liver failure. In addition, alcohol significantly increases the risk of several forms of cancer.

So, as you can see, there are good reasons to moderate alcohol use no matter what you are following.  Some people have to give it up...like for real.

Archived