Light olive oil in a dark bottle?

stitchsmith

Hi all,

Is there a light tasting olive oil that is in a dark bottle? I've been using Bertoli, but I find it is often funky smelling or cloudy. And funky oil always results in failed mayo! (At least, that's the only variable I can single out as being the culprit). People always say to buy olive oil in dark glass, but LIGHT tasting olive oil in dark glass seems to be my white whale. Any suggestions? Besides switch to avocado oil, which is prohibitively expensive! Thanks!

I've never seen a light tasting olive oil in a dark bottle. Maybe it's something to do with the fact that the oil has been refined and so there is no need for the dark glass as the life/quality of the oil won't be effected by light?

I've used walnut oil with great success (& it's not overly pricey), and many folk use macadamia oil, or a half and half mix of coconut oil & avocado oil.

• 3 weeks later...

I yearn for a Costco, but unfortunately it's about an hour away. 3 minutes from a Sam's Club, but...meh. Trader Joe's is also far. I'll check the price of avocado oil on Thrive, though! 

Decanting into a dark bottle might help some, but it never stays in our pantry long--three weeks tops. My babies are a VERY into chicken, tuna, and salmon salad! I'm more concerned about the months and months it is in processing, packing, storage, and shelves at the store. Though to be fair, I suppose the only time it is in contact with light is on the shelf!

I guess I'm trying to come up with excuses as to why my mayo fails 50% of the time. The 50% of the time it works, it is as thick as cream cheese. When it doesn't work, I add another egg and it has a nice texture. I'm using XL eggs and have tried cutting the oil down to 1 cup. Oh well!!

• Administrators

The larger eggs can be part of the problem.  Add large egg and reduced oil and you could have an issue.

Do you have a stick/immersion blender? With that you can just put all the ingredients in a jar, put the stick blender in and buzz it for about 30-40 seconds.  I've never had a fail doing it that way and I've made mayo once a week for over a year.

What mayo recipe are you using?

I'm using an immersion blender. I've tried lower speeds because some people suggest the high speed gets too hot.  I never blend more than 45-60 seconds--by that point I can tell if it has failed or not. If it fails, I collect my thoughts, stop cussing, and add a second egg. I use Melissa Joulwan's recipe or this one: http://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/

If an XL egg vs L egg is the issue, then successfully saving broken mayo by adding a second egg and getting the perfect consistency doesn't make much sense to me. :)

The first time I made mayo it was great.  After that it always seemed to have a funky taste that was awful.  I suspected that I must have used a different brand olive oil the first time and today I experimented and found out I was right.  Undoubtedly the first batch was made with Filippo Berio olive oil (that says for sauteeing and grilling on the bottle) because I used that today and it was great.  The batches that tasted awful I used Bertolli light olive oil.  The Bertolli has a noticeable smell in the bottle whereas the Filippo Berio does not.  I use 1/2 cup coconut oil melted, 1/2 cup olive oil, 1 whole egg, 1 tsp lemon juice and sprinkle of salt.   I put everything in a mason jar and use an immersion blender.  I pulse the blender instead of running it constantly so it doesn't over process.  Hope this is helpful.

• Administrators

I'm using an immersion blender. I've tried lower speeds because some people suggest the high speed gets too hot. 

I think the "high speed gets too hot" thing has more to do with a high powered blender like a Vitamix.  Those rarely make successful mayo.  I use my immersion blender on its highest (of 5) setting. Maybe try running yours a little higher?

Do you use farm eggs or commercial eggs? Farm eggs can be less consistent in providing successful mayo.  Commercial eggs for whatever reason seem to be more consistent.

• 1 month later...

Finally used up all my Bertolli oil and bought some Filipo Berio. I changed WAY too many variables, but here's what I did today, which worked flawlessly. Recipe is from Well Fed:

1 egg (local, free-range, but still "commercial"; room temp), 2 tbsp lemon (room temp), 1/2 tsp mustard, 1/2 tsp salt (I used table salt--I had been using sea salt and wondered if the salt was too big, so I switched to table salt that has been sitting around for like...a year.), 1.25 c Filipo Berio light tasting olive oil. Immersion blender, level 5. Perfect! Huzzah! Tuna salad for all!! I'm going to start a chart in my meal planning notebook to see if I can keep track of when it works and when it fails. :)

Glad you found something that worked!

Ever since I started using my immersion blender, I haven't a single issue with a failed mayo like did when trying to use the food processor (which failed more often than not). The $20 I spent on the immersion blender was so worth it! I use the recipe from Well Fed as well, and I don't even bother to bring everything to room temp. I can put everything in right away and not have an issue. I do only use 1 cup of olive oil though instead of the 1 1/4 cup. 

The first time I made mayo it was great.  After that it always seemed to have a funky taste that was awful.  I suspected that I must have used a different brand olive oil the first time and today I experimented and found out I was right.  Undoubtedly the first batch was made with Filippo Berio olive oil (that says for sauteeing and grilling on the bottle) because I used that today and it was great.  The batches that tasted awful I used Bertolli light olive oil.  The Bertolli has a noticeable smell in the bottle whereas the Filippo Berio does not.  I use 1/2 cup coconut oil melted, 1/2 cup olive oil, 1 whole egg, 1 tsp lemon juice and sprinkle of salt.   I put everything in a mason jar and use an immersion blender.  I pulse the blender instead of running it constantly so it doesn't over process.  Hope this is helpful.

I second the Filippo Berio suggestion.  I had tried Bertolli, and it was gross.  I have tried several bottles, and I am not sure what the deal is with that smell/taste.  I bought some Berio yesterday based on this suggestion, and it was great!!!!

Archived