carb quantity & hair loss

GBR

I have reduced my carb quantity since a year and a half. I almost never eat rice, pasta, bread. I eat sometimes potatoes. I try not to eat any sweet like cookies, ice cream and co but sometimes I have cravings. I tend to limit fruits too but have some at least once a day. 

=> I feel very good, more energy than before, better digestion, better sleep. But my mood is very good some day, very bad some others,  And I have lost  hair. 

My doctor has seen a lack of iron, zinc, magnesium => I have taken supplements for 2 months.

I have read somewhere that too much nuts were not good => I was eating a lot and have reduced now to just few everyday

Do you think it can be related to not enough carb in my diet?

I am in the middle of my whole 30. I have no weight issue, my objective is to be healthy.

Any advice?

• Moderators

Your best bet would be to list a few days of your typical Whole30 intake including portion sizes, meal timing and fluid intake, along with workouts, stress, sleep patterns and ongoing health concerns (auto immune conditions etc...).

It's hard for us to tell you that your hairloss is attributed to your carb intake when we don't know what you've been eating.

OK I will do that as soon as I have time to write all that. (You can also refer to my log called "Whole 30 in France" where I have started writing down what I eat... hard for me to write the quantity because I use "gr" and not "cup". But I will try anyway.

(please note that I have noticed my hair loss a year ago so if it may be related to the food I used to eat, but it is not related to the whole 30 diet of course... And yes I was very stressed by my job last year, and did not have enough iron, zinc, and magnesium. That can be the cause. Maybe it is not related to carb. But since someone in a forum was talking about carb and hair loss, I wanted to ask)

• Moderators

I just had a look at your log... it looks like you're eating at least one serving of starchy carb per day... I would recommend that you up your vegetable content in general (not just starchy carbs but non starches as well) and you could probably do with more fat but it's hard to tell as there are no portion sizes noted.  

It sounds like your hair loss could be attributed to many things... sure, maybe it's also got something to do with carbs but with all you list that has been going on for you in the last year, it would be near impossible for anyone to say for sure it is or is not related.

Keep going with your whole30, make sure you're making all your meals to fit the template (linked below), drink lots of water and get good sleep... it may or may not help with your hairloss but following that 'prescription' isn't going to make you worse!

Thank you for the replies.

SugarcubeOD : I do not see the link your are referring to in your email?

I am a bit confused between non starches and starchy carbs. Can you give me examples? I m afraid my english is too limited

• Moderators

Thank you for the replies.

SugarcubeOD : I do not see the link your are referring to in your email?

I am a bit confused between non starches and starchy carbs. Can you give me examples? I m afraid my english is too limited

She was referring to the meal template, I think.

Starchy vegetables are potatoes, sweet potatoes, winter squashes like butternut, acorn, kabocha, or spaghetti squash, root vegetables like turnips, rutabagas, carrots, beets, and parsnips.

Non starchy vegetables are all the others -- leafy greens, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumber, tomatoes, eggplant, brussel sprouts, mushrooms, etc.

• 3 years later...

Archived