Starting on Jan 1

sandrar

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi! I'm starting on January 1 as well  :)  I did it in October and was very pleased with the results. I've messed things up though now in December by eating a lot of "food" that doesn't really even make me feel good. I'm already looking forward to Jan 1 - Good luck everyone!

I'm starting January 1 as well, bringing my husband and - new surprise as of a Christmas Dinner conversation yesterday - my sister, too! This will be my second Whole30 and her first; she's done low-carb several times and lost weight, but that eating method didn't help her psoriasis at all; she's hoping W30 might make some difference with that.

Best wishes to everyone as we get our homes and minds ready for a 1/1/16 start!

Count me in on 1/1.  Put on 15 pounds since my first marathon 11/1.  Feeling like total crap everyday.  1/1 can't get here soon enough.  This will be my third round.  Considering a Whole120 leading up to my first 50 mile ultra the end of April.  I always feel so good at the end of 30 days...why the hell do I stop?

Hi, Everyone.

I attempted a W30 last fall while caring for elderly parents -- I did great (and felt great!) for about 21 days, when I took a header off the wagon. The upside is that I hung in long enough to experience a dramatic change in my cravings, moods, energy, etc. I couldn't believe I wasn't getting hungry between meals, so much so that sometimes I'd get busy & forget to eat! (Trust me--that's miraculous in my world.) I'm the kinda gal who's always watching the clock for the next meal. So... I know what is possible. I also saw that once I fell off the wagon, the cravings returned. Immediately. Just like a drug. Yikes.

About me: Middle-age + menopause + thyroid disorder + 2 parents with Alzheimer's disease = my heaviest weight ever. Feeling utterly demoralized. Sugar just needs to be absolutely out for me -- harm reduction has never worked for me, and I now accept it never will. Also battling depression & fatigue (see item #4 in above equation) but... I know giving my body the best daily fuel possible *will* effect significant changes. I've experienced it before, and I want to feel that good again. I'm giving myself this week & New Year's weekend to buy & read one of the books, shop, and prep. I've downloaded all the guides, too. I learned with my last attempted W30 that proper planning and prepping are absolutely critical.

A question: A friend who's completed a few W30s said getting the book is really helpful. I've read in reviews that the Whole 30 Guide is a repackaging of much that's covered in ISWF, but also adds some recipes, meal plans, etc., and also tells you what you can expect as you move through each day of the W30. I really need some nuts and bolts help b/c my sched is really busy -- not much time to prep so need meal plans incorporating simple, portable, easy-to-prep meals. If I can only get one book, which one would be the best support for completing a Whole 30?

Thanks, everyone. Best wishes to us all through our New Year Whole 30--I'm aiming to make 2016 my healthiest yet. :)

Me too!  I've been wanting to try it for awhile now.  I can't eat gluten and I know I have a sensitivity to Diary but that has been a tough one for me.  I'm very excited to start the whole30 and see how I feel at the end.   Don't have any local support as my husband and friends aren't interested in trying it.  Thankful for the forum and other groups.  

• Moderators

Hi, Everyone.

I attempted a W30 last fall while caring for elderly parents -- I did great (and felt great!) for about 21 days, when I took a header off the wagon. The upside is that I hung in long enough to experience a dramatic change in my cravings, moods, energy, etc. I couldn't believe I wasn't getting hungry between meals, so much so that sometimes I'd get busy & forget to eat! (Trust me--that's miraculous in my world.) I'm the kinda gal who's always watching the clock for the next meal. So... I know what is possible. I also saw that once I fell off the wagon, the cravings returned. Immediately. Just like a drug. Yikes.

About me: Middle-age + menopause + thyroid disorder + 2 parents with Alzheimer's disease = my heaviest weight ever. Feeling utterly demoralized. Sugar just needs to be absolutely out for me -- harm reduction has never worked for me, and I now accept it never will. Also battling depression & fatigue (see item #4 in above equation) but... I know giving my body the best daily fuel possible *will* effect significant changes. I've experienced it before, and I want to feel that good again. I'm giving myself this week & New Year's weekend to buy & read one of the books, shop, and prep. I've downloaded all the guides, too. I learned with my last attempted W30 that proper planning and prepping are absolutely critical.

A question: A friend who's completed a few W30s said getting the book is really helpful. I've read in reviews that the Whole 30 Guide is a repackaging of much that's covered in ISWF, but also adds some recipes, meal plans, etc., and also tells you what you can expect as you move through each day of the W30. I really need some nuts and bolts help b/c my sched is really busy -- not much time to prep so need meal plans incorporating simple, portable, easy-to-prep meals. If I can only get one book, which one would be the best support for completing a Whole 30?

Thanks, everyone. Best wishes to us all through our New Year Whole 30--I'm aiming to make 2016 my healthiest yet. :)

Hi, Sheiken. For the books, It Starts With Food is more the science and reasoning behind the rules. The Whole30 book is more how-to. It sounds like The Whole30 is probably closer to what you're looking for.

I'd also offer one more option since you're particularly concerned with meal planning type stuff. Go to this website: http://meljoulwan.com/paleo-101/

Look at the links for The Method Behind My Madness and at the Whole30 meal plans she lists -- her weekly cookup idea is mostly how I meal prep for the week.

For books, take a look at this thread:

http://forum.whole30.com/topic/32741-which-books/

You really can get along fine with the website resources here and the various websites that feature Whole30 compliant recipes.

That said, I read The Whole30 book before I started and really enjoyed it and bought It Starts With Food to read in my last week.

The two things that helped me the most during my successful Whole 30 were:

• Getting rid of EVERYTHING in my kitchen/pantry that wasn't compliant. This was 3 and 1/2 LARGE trash bags full of food that I either gave away or discarded.
  • Signing up for the Whole30 Daily emails. They are packed with information and inspiration and can be very funny! (There's a digital "treat" for each day you do your Whole30.) I looked forward to completing another day just so I could click on the link for my reward! These emails are well worth the small cost.

Thanks so much for the advice & resources, Shannon & Art! I love Melissa Joulwan's take on meal plans -- it's *exactly* the way I cook. I like the idea of just making sure to keep sufficient amounts of necessary ingredients on hand, so I can still be creative but within boundaries.

I must admit -- I am nervous b/c I am couch-surfing with a friend who is not at all W30 compliant -- quite the opposite -- so there will be plenty of no-no's in the kitchen. Still, every time I've slipped it's been because of lack of planning. I know if I am adequately prepared, there's no reason/excuse to make poor choices.

So grateful to have the support of this forum!

I am starting Jan 2, for my third time. I enjoyed it the last 2 times, and I hope to enjoy it again (and hope that it sticks!). 

For those of you looking for recipes, get the Nom Nom Paleo, Well Fed and Well Fed 2 books. Excellent recipes! There are also recipes that can be found on Pinterest. 

Good luck to us all!  :)

Welcome to all of you, and especially the first-timers (only because I was very recently in your shoes, we love the repeat customers, too).  This is NOT another diet and please don't think that it is (your health will improve; the way you think about food will change; and you will very likely lose weight if you have weight to lose).  Brace yourselves and get ready to hang on for the ride!

Planning and preparation are key.  I wrote the meal planning template on a large sticky note and I still have it. 

Good luck!    There will be lots of support (& company) in January!  And don't worry if no one around you is doing it - your Internet friends are here!

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

About me: Middle-age + menopause + thyroid disorder + 2 parents with Alzheimer's disease 

Hi sheiken

With you on the above - so can really empathize - I can thrown in 3 kids / FT Job and failed marriage - so get the fatigue etc

Good luck with the journey - looks like there are lots of us to help support

z

Good morning everyone! 

I will be committing to another 30 days on January 1st as well.  I did my first W30 in September and it has truly changed my life.  I've been about 90% W30 since, with the exception of the last week.  I traveled back home for Christmas and needless to say it was a food nightmare.  I feel like crap again and couldn't wait to get home on Sunday to finally eat some real food. I had great success on my first W30 and learned a lot about food and how my body reacts to different types of foods.  I can honestly say that I love eating clean, healthy food now.  I was a junk food junkie before my first W30 and struggled with my weight for as long as I can remember.  I have completely changed the way I look at food, my body, and my health.  It's allowed me to take control of my cravings.  Food no longer has control over me, which is an amazing feeling.

If this is your first W30, it's going to be a bit challenging in the beginning, but, stick to it. It is well worth the hard work!  You'll be amazed at what you will learn from this experience!

Good luck all! I'm excited to be on this journey with you!

I am also starting January 1st.  I always try to over think everything so I am going to plan 3-4 days at a time and shop for that.  I always seem to over buy if I do more than that and when day 7 or 8 gets here, I never want what I have planned.  Best of luck to all and looking forward to this journey with you.

I am ready!

~also in my late fifites with a thyroid issue. I did my first  complete whole thirty in September but was mostly compliant from July -august as well. Went totally off the rails in november and the holidays were a nutritional disaster.

But I am back! 

I am ready to feel more energy. I have been feeling that mid day energy slump and I know it can be different. I need to indulge in some good self care instead of using food as -fill in the blank here- for me it is pleasure. 

I found the whole30 book to be key. I also like the "well fed one" and "well fed two" books. I love Michelle Tam's Nomnompaleo website as well, and she has alot of fun things there. There is also a fun nomnompaleo app and she demos things on Periscope which is a free app. So definitley check her out. 

Lastly I used the daily whole30 emails last time. I really do think these emails are what got me over the 21 day hump which is where I lapsed on my first two attempts. For 14.95 you get an email everyday that sets you up for success. I re upped for January because I want to succeed. 

For those of you who are wanting to lose weight, you may or may not lose in the irst 30 days but if you stick with it you will - and without being hungry all the time. For me that is key. I am not a happy lady when I am hungry. 

Yes, also my second official Whole 30. I struggled a lot the first week, struggled about different things the second week, felt strong and good the third week...got a little lazy the fourth week, but caught it and got more template compliant...I was food compliant, but started just a teeny bit of snacking on nuts and fruit at night which then led to skipping breakfast. I felt so proud of myself when I got through the entire thirty days, but I have struggled since then to honor my body with only real food.

I'm doing the Whole 9 challenge, so this coming year is exciting and transformative.

I'm a new member....starting January 2nd....and I'm starting to get my kitchen in order. My husband is already on Atikins and loves that diet....I didn't. This seems way more my 'thing'! Also....I shouldn't have to make 2 separate meals in the house....just adjust accordingly.

Looking forward to all the assistance and guidance I can get here.

Archived