Join A 2016 Whole9 Challenge!

LucieB

Thyroid folks -- with you in the frustration. I was on Armour, then Levothyroxine, then Synthroid, and I still feel exhausted all the time and my hair falls out like crazy. I'd heard about taking thyroid medication at night, but wasn't able to manage the necessary empty stomach. :(  Now, however, it's definitely worth trying -- thank you for the tip.

Best warm salad I've ever had: baby spinach, pine nuts, garlic, olive oil, S&P. Chop garlic to pieces about the same size as pine nuts. Mix with olive oil and spread on baking sheet in oven; roast until lightly browned (can also be done in skillet on top of stove); pour all over baby spinach, season with S&P to taste. Eat immediately (while still warm). Killer good. (Sorry I don't have amounts -- I'm a seat-of-the-pants cook). I've no doubt this would be good with some protein tossed in, too.

I've not been posting as I got slammed with an infection. I've been flat out this weekend, sleeping like mad, so my shopping/prep weekend is out the window. I've been eating compliantly but taking EmergenC, so will start "officially" once I'm feeling better & able to do my shopping & prep. In the meantime, the book's on it's way so I'll be looking forward to that.

Grateful for this monthly focus as it keeps me in the mindset of a long-term lifestyle change as opposed to just 30 days.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ultimately, it is your decision. Maybe a study of yourself and the WHY you are not sure about saying "no more sugar". Is it feeding your emotions? etc. For me, not only does it feed my emotions/stress, but also Candida and that is detrimental to my health. For me it comes down to a choice of sugar or health. I haven't conquered the sugar dragon yet, but I'm not giving up. A Whole100 last spring didn't do it, so looking at a Whole120, or more if needed, as well as the need to face myself and the screaming toddler within. I'm not giving up. Right now I am dealing with a psoriatic type rash on my face particularly around my eyes, on my jaw, and hairline. It is miserable. It is undecided if it is from candida overgrowth due to being on antibotics for 2 weeks back in Oct. following appendectomy(ruptured) or reaction to the flu shot that I got for the first time ever in Dec. All I know is I don't like it, I have had minor barely noticeable issues with it in the past and Whole30 eating cleared it up. That tells me that the foods in the no category are harmful to me and that I need to do my reintro in a whole different way from past reintro's. Thinking, one thing a month with whole 30 in between. Haven't hammered out the details exactly.

Yes, I'd have to say it's an emotional thing with the sugar. Might have to come down to the same two things for me too: sugar or health. I'd like to think I'd be strong enough to choose my health!

Reading Dr. Perlmutter's book "Grain Brain" helped give me armor and weapons with which to fight the Sugar Dragon. The link between elevated blood sugar to diabetes to Alzheimer's is a pretty scary one to contemplate. I still struggle, but it's getting better.

When I have a craving for sugar or food that does me no good, I try to take a moment and embrace the feeling. Hold it, look at it from all angles, and try to remind myself that it's just a mental game my brain is playing. I marvel at how powerful that craving can be: how often my mind jumps to the food, how I come with excuses of "just this one time", how I'll convince myself that it's not that bad for me is it? After a minute or so, I see just how ridiculous it all is and the craving starts to look silly. That's when I marvel at how powerful I can be, how I'm not going to lose to a bite of food, and leave the food behind. This took time to learn, but it works for me. 

I downloaded an app that tracks smartphone screen time. I know, the irony of an app to reduce screen time...   But what a shocker! I was awake 2 hours this morning when my phone reminded me that I'd used 45 minutes already! Some of that was used on the Whole30 forums  :P

Does anyone else eat meals alone? My dinners are alone most of the time, and DAMN it's hard to just sit there!! So much as a scratch of paper to read will distract me from my meal and I go mindless. I'm trying to apply my anti-craving to this problem. I'll tell myself to taste, smell, look, .... see if that works tonight. Any other suggestions? 

Lucie

zoe and sheikin, I am happy to hear from other thyroid folks. It's been quite a ride for me - I function very well in my daily life, but the need to deal with the various issues caused by Hashimoto's takes up mental and emotional energy that I'd really prefer to put to other purposes. One of my challenges to myself during 2016 is to look honestly at all of my symptoms and deal with them as successfully as possible, and acknowledge when a treatment just isn't helping. The hair thing is really hard for me emotionally. I expected my hair to go gray as I got older, but I'm almost 50 and have relatively few grays. I just never expected to have it fall out constantly and have a receding hair line. That's been really really difficult.

Phew - that actually felt better, just to type that out! I guess my overall point here is that I've joined this particular group because my plan for 2016 is to just be honest with myself about how my body works (and doesn't work), and work toward supporting my body and mind. Since I'm currently in the middle of a Whole30 (I have 14 days left counting today), I'm feeling much better, energy-wise.

I'm not sure I want to try the levothyroxine at night. I notice that when I take it in the a.m. it helps wake me up, and I really don't want to wake up just before bedtime.  But this is definitely something to keep in the mix of things to try this year.

Lucie, I don't have any answers on mindful eating, but I am right there with you! To be painfully honest, progress for me would be looking only at one screen while I eat dinner instead of TV and my phone. That should be key for me this month, I guess!

For those not doing an official W30 for January, have you completed one in the past?What are some of your plans to focus on nutrition this month?Some possibilities:- buying better ingredients than usual- trying new recipes- increasing hydration- looking at supplements (probiotics, Vitamin D, etc.)- evaluate habits around eating: driving, grazing, watching TV, social gatherings- improve place settings, kitchen cleaning, and other visual/pschological cues related to eating- theme meals (regional cuisines, batch cooking, other fun stuff)

I'm doing my 3rd W30 but also trying to learn to develop a sense of "enough". I over shop for food and even though it's good food, I sometimes get more than I can reasonably use. I used to end up throwing away food because I couldn't use it before it spoiled. That is a much more rare occurrence now. Still, my fridge always looks like I'm preparing for a natural disaster (as do my pantry shelves). So I have a goal of learning more about what enough is.

Lucie, I don't have any answers on mindful eating, but I am right there with you! To be painfully honest, progress for me would be looking only at one screen while I eat dinner instead of TV and my phone. That should be key for me this month, I guess!

I just finished eating with my laptop in my lap and my TV on. Guess I could use more mindfulness in my eating too...

Count me in! A few days late to the party, but will am starting my third W30 tomorrow. :)  Am following with another group, some of whom are on here too, looking forward to the journey with everyone.

Hi Cynthia!  :D

I think this sounds great! I did my first Whole 30 this summer and just started my second January 1st. I'd love to extend it to all parts of my health besides just food.

I am 36 years old and teach K-6 special education. I am married and have a 4 year old son. My goals are to become more healthy and lose some weight. I want to have more energy and not be cranky with my husband and son! I have depression and anxiety which I am on meds for (and have been the last 15 or so years). I have always suffered from insomnia, even as a child, and I take a sleeping pill every night (probably for the last 8 or so years).

Ultimately, I just want to be the best I can be and be a good example to my son.

I'm not sure I want to try the levothyroxine at night. I notice that when I take it in the a.m. it helps wake me up, and I really don't want to wake up just before bedtime.  But this is definitely something to keep in the mix of things to try this year.

Hi AmyS

I had never noticed levo waking me up in the morning - but now that you have mentioned it my sleep has not been as good as i would like it to be for some time

However now that i am on levo at night I am probably not going to change it - as the discipline of not eating after 7 is I think good for me

Z  

Good morning from Charleston!

This is my second round of W30 and I'm realizing how much my first round changed the way I ate. I have pretty much been eating 3 template meals like I usually do and have just been mindful about additives and such in any canned items. I gave up snacking with my first round so that habit has not creeped back in, thankfully. Also, went out to eat with my dad and asked the waitress a few questions about what their chicken was grilled with and such, which I wouldn't do when I was "riding my own bike."This program really changes the way you look at and use food if you take the tools that have been given to you and apply them. I'm actually pretty amazed! Looking forward to no more holiday goodies this month and for the reset that I know my body and mind needs. 

Happy Monday!

Oh! Oh! Oh! Found another goodie! Was just reading about how good okra is for diabetics. Saw a link to a recipe for roasted okra. I love me some okra and usually fix it with ground beef, tomatoes, onion, garlic and cajun seasoning. This roasted okra is another new thing for me to try! Here is an even better article about the goodness of okra than the one I originally read. Health Benefits of Okra. I definitely need to eat more okra.

Hi Everyone:

I was suppose to start yesterday 1/2/2016 ; but my mindset wasn't in the right place.

Trying it again today; 

Lots of irons in the fire......emotional issues (relationship), physical issues (achilles tendinitis since June 2015-under a MD's care), mental issues (stressors)......

Hi there Claws...how did it go yesterday?

I think  most of us have stressors,of all shapes and sizes. I serious serious ones that will be in my life for a long time. I can either munch on them regularly and let them feed me, my mood, my life, my health... or I can use them as a leverage to look at the bigger picture and be more resilient, confident and be good to me.

Le tus know how you are!

Lucie and

[...]

Does anyone else eat meals alone? My dinners are alone most of the time, and DAMN it's hard to just sit there!! So much as a scratch of paper to read will distract me from my meal and I go mindless. I'm trying to apply my anti-craving to this problem. I'll tell myself to taste, smell, look, .... see if that works tonight. Any other suggestions? 

Lucie

Thank you both for bringing that up. It's been an issue for me. Breakfast and diner usually alone (lunch is covered). Music? Reflect of the flavors, textures, spices or something we could have made that dis more interesting or more yummy? or appreciating the new dish we made for the first time and totally aced?

Mindfulness is such a wonderful tool in many areas in life. Now we need here ... help!

Mindful Eating:     There is so many information and tips about Mindful Eating out there, and articles and blogs explaining WHY it is so important...

I like the one from Jon Kabat Zinn and his "Raisin Meditation":
  1. Sit comfortably in a chair.
  2. Place a raisin in your hand.
  3. Examine the raisin as if you had never seen it before.
  4. Imagine it as its "plump self" growing on the vine surrounded by nature.
  5. As you look at the raisin, become conscious of what you see: the shape, texture, color, size. Is it hard or soft?
  6. Bring the raisin to your nose and smell it.
  7. Are you anticipating eating the raisin? Is it difficult not to just pop it in your mouth?
  8. How does the raisin feel? How small it is in your hand?
  9. Place the raisin in your mouth. Become aware of what your tongue is doing.
  10. Bite ever so lightly into the raisin. Feel its squishiness.
  11. Chew three times and then stop.
  12. Describe the flavor of the raisin. What is the texture?
  13. As you complete chewing, swallow the raisin.
  14. Sit quietly, breathing, aware of what you are sensing.

Kabat Zinn discusses the experience:  "The raisin exercise dispels all previous concepts we may be harboring about meditation. It immediately places it in the realm of the ordinary, the everyday, the world you already know but are now going to know differently. Eating one raisin very, very slowly allows you to drop right into the knowing in ways that are effortless, totally natural, and entirely beyond words and thinking. Such an exercise delivers wakefulness immediately. There is in this moment only tasting."

Any one up for the challenge?  ;) 

I am fully on board with the idea of mindful eating, but one thing that worries me is the *time* to do it. If I sit down to eat in a distraction-free environment, and make an effort to be fully present and mindful of each bite I consume, it's doing to take an hour per meal!

Do you think it's enough to be mindful of the meal "in general" rather than each bite or each chew?

(not coming down on Kabat-Zinn, I have 2 of his books and an audio book)

My goal is to try a new food each week and Increase my mindfulness at meal times. Too often I peruse the computer while eating. finding a new food is getting harder. I have tried most everything now at my favorite grocery. They do get something new every so often. Need to hit the Asian market again. Last time I was there they didn't have much compliant stuff. They did have these purple yams that were good.

I am totally with you on the need for more mindfulness! Esp at work I tend to muti task. But even at hime, rushing thru meals is an issue. Anyone else have issues with this mindless eating style interfering with good choice? Hints or helpful iseas?

Well, I'm not claiming to have conquered mindful eating yet, but I managed to eat dinner last night with just an episode of Gilmore Girls while leaving my phone on silent in another room, so that's a start. :)

I live alone and work a desk job, so unless I meet friends for a meal (which I do often), it's pretty common for me to eat breakfast while reading a book; lunch while reading news or blogs or whatever; and dinner with the TV. I do at least sit down and take time for all of them (I'm not eating in the car or during meetings!), but the concept of sitting there alone with nothing for my eyes besides the food on my plate is a hard one. And I'm not sure how much of that needs to be changed - like, is it bad to watch TV while I eat if that's the only thing I'm doing? Is that different from eating with another person in terms of how mindful I am about my meal? I genuinely don't know. I'm not mindlessly munching nuts or anything, just eating a template-y plate of dinner, so it's not causing me to ingest more food in my case. But there's definitely room for improvement, even if I don't end up contemplating each bite.

Have to confess - I lunch at my computer at work -  actually find it slows the eating process down 

I have additional method in my madness in that I also like to have a walk at lunch - cant do both mindful eating and exercise - i choose exercise 

Have a good day 4

When I have a craving for sugar or food that does me no good, I try to take a moment and embrace the feeling. Hold it, look at it from all angles, and try to remind myself that it's just a mental game my brain is playing. I marvel at how powerful that craving can be: how often my mind jumps to the food, how I come with excuses of "just this one time", how I'll convince myself that it's not that bad for me is it? After a minute or so, I see just how ridiculous it all is and the craving starts to look silly. That's when I marvel at how powerful I can be, how I'm not going to lose to a bite of food, and leave the food behind. This took time to learn, but it works for me. 

Oh, my goodness, found this at the perfect time today!!  That is perfect for me. :)  I jumped into my third W30 today "cold turkey" after two weeks of uninhibited holiday/vacation binging and I think I'm trying to take the first three days of timeline all at once.  I am one snack craving, sugar dragon battling, grouch today.

Cottagequeen, thanks for that link to the roasted okra!  I intend to try it immediately, I loooove okra. :)

It's good to hear others have the same eating habit issues and helpful to hear what's working. For me eating while surfing or reading results in me not fully chewing my food, scooping food to my mouth without seeing it so I drop food or scratch around the plate without looking, and I get done and have a moment of "what did I eat, how much, I don't remember eating"! So for me, it's a problem. Spend so much time preparing, then mindlessly gulp it. 

Have you ever seen the British show Secret Eaters? I've watched in on YouTube. They secretly film participants in their homes and watching many of them mindlessly plow/shovel/shove food in front of a TV opened my eyes to what I used to do. I always ate in front of a TV and/or computer. Last year seeing that prompted me to break habit. But now I just bring my phone to the table! Broke one habit, I can break the next. 

I also tried a new food this weekend -- century eggs, made with duck eggs. Bought a 6-pack at the Asian store and found a delicious recipe!! They tasted pretty bad on their own, the recipe fixed that problem. Learn more about the eggs and recipe here. I modified the recipe to make it compliant and plated it on steamed kale, with cooked zucchini and a roma tomato.  It worked so great I will be making it again!! :)  

When I'm at home I'm pretty good about eating at the dining table without distractions. Usually at least one member of my family eats with me (not sure if the one-year-old is company or a distraction :) ) but if I'm eating alone the temptation to look at my phone is strong. The one time I was totally an advocate for eating in front of the TV was when I attempted to eat sardines on a salad. I love canned tuna on greens, but couldn't get over the fishy taste and tiny bones of sardines and was all but gagging at the table while the rest of my family gave me weird looks. Everyone else finished their meal and I still had a huge bowl of salad left to go. I hate wasting food, and I hate "failing" at my own challenge, so I decided to distract myself with the TV while finishing my dinner. The next thing my new, my fork was scraping an empty bowl and the sardine salad had mysteriously evaporated! 

That being said, I do want to work on just being able to enjoy food for its merits and not have to trick myself in eating something I find unpalatable.

Yes, I want in...I started Sunday (yesterday)

I know I am late to the party but technical difficulties have prevented me from being able to post.  

This is my second W30 and i have to admit I didn't get the Tiger Blood or epiphany though for ONCE I was 100% compliant so at least that I am proud.  I travel excessively for work and went on a humanitarian mission to Nepal right after finishing the W30 so the rice/bread/lack of vegies/excess beans and legumes really undid EVERYTHING I had just worked for. (Whoever is doing EBC in the fall, cool.  I went back to work after the earthquake because of our 17 day EBC /3 passes trek there a few years ago.)

I am trying this again because I need a reset.  I have a mystery fatigue issue that comes and goes and since I have been doing detox/elimination diet type things sporadically, it has subsided so I think I need to keep picking away at it.  

I'm 48, mom to 2 really great/easy teens, wife, Int'l Airline Pilot, gym rat and really good at doing everything except sticking to a healthy eating plan as much as I need to for health and fitness.  Most people seem to have trouble working out....I have to reign it back because I will hurt myself.  I get the high from the gym even though I pay for it daily. 

I need the food/lifestyle makeover and I am hoping that 9 months of work will cement things in a bit better.  30 days did not.  The past two days I have again been amazed how much I think of food, want a reward, crave sweets after a meal, crave a glass of wine to wind down....I want to be free of the ties, no longer a slave to the sugar dragon.  I am better than that.  Tougher.  Cooler.  I need to start acting it.  Someone had a great quote that I am going to go back and find about this that really struck a cord.  Many things did reading through all of your posts.  I am happy I can still get in here as for awhile I did not believe I could join.   

I loved this group because I identified with so many of you.  "No fluff," no excuses, most of you have been here before and are ready for more so there won't be a ton of "this is so hard."  I found the first time crazily easy once I made up my mind to do it.  It really was only tough a few times, although travel sucks.

So, I am off to Minneapolis-Chicago-Hong Kong-Singapore-Hong Kong-Chicago-Minneapolis for a 6 day trip tomorrow at 4am.  I have some snacks packed to help with the odd hunger/cravings I am likely to get.  2 sets of workout clothes, lots to read instead of going out to eat....at least for now while I get back into this, and most importantly, the mindset that I NEED to be here again.  No expectations of anything, just make my way through the process and see what happens.  

I proved to myself I can do this and that gives me strength that with planning, I can build on that and ROCK this thing!

Ciao

Archived