Day 2 and I have the worst caffeine withdrawal headache

beccabee

I'm normally someone that drinks diet soda throughout the day and night and I am really dying right now. I don't actually miss drinking the soda, but I am having withdrawal headache/fatique big time. Should I try to power through, take tylenol, or is it OK to fill in for awhile with coffee and try to slowly ween? 

DRINK MORE WATER!  Your headache could also be a sign of dehydration.  Aim for at least half an ounce per pound of bodyweight.

Like kirkor said, I wouldn't replace one caffeine addiction with another.  If you're truly in misery, acetaminophen is ok (preferable to ibuprofen).

Good luck - it gets better!  This is a sign good things are happening!

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

As the others have said I wouldn't go trading one caffeine hit for another. If you're not already including at least a fist sized serving of starchy veg per day try adding in some in (or increase slightly) for a day or two as this will help with tha transition form the old diet to the new - you can cut back once the headache eases off if you like.

Headaches can sometimes also be from lack of salt or lack of food, so please ensure you are salting your meals, and building your meals to match the recommended meal template - remembering that this is the minimum recommendation, and know that fat is your friend  ;) 

This too shall pass!

Thanks everyone! I managed to just suffer through and woke up this morning and it was gone. I can tell it is is a caffeine headache as I am prone to headaches and I've had this exact type before when I tried to cut out caffeine (Kind of a dull headache that makes me feel tired). Anyway, I am feeling really great NOT drinking diet coke. I've literally been drinking diet coke since as long as I can remember and the odd thing is i do not miss it at all. 

• Moderators

I had the WORST headache last night....so so bad. I had to take something for it. It was day 5 for me. Unfortunately, so far I feel worse instead of better....

It's not unusual for the first week or so to include headaches, but the good news is that you should be getting past that part soon.

As was mentioned before, be sure you're eating enough, salt your food to taste, drink plenty of water (one ounce for every two pounds of body weight, so if you weigh 120 lbs aim for at least 60 oz of water), and rest when you can.

I'm drinking lots of water and I eat a ton of salt ...Ugh it was awful last night. Today I feel better thank god.

You don't mention fat. How much fat are you including in each meal?

For us to better troubleshoot it would help to know exactly what you have been eating/drinking...

This is a typical day for me:

Breakfast: 2-3 eggs with coconut milk and cooked with coconut oil, half an avocado, 1 cup of veggies (whatever is leftover from the night before usually), some berries or other small amount of fruit, and coffee with coconut milk blended in.

Lunch: Big salad on baby spinach including: 1 can of tuna, 1 whole avocado, a couple cups of veggies (cucumber, tomato, carrots, etc.), balsamic vinegar 

Dinner: Shrimp cooked in avocado oil, stir-fry of vegetables (about a cup), pico de gallo, and about 3/4 cup guacamole

I snack occasionally if I feel hungry with some fruit, veggies, or spoonful of nuts/nut butter (not often/every day)

Ok, you should eat more.

When eggs are your only source of protein in a meal you should be eating the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand, which is 3-4 for most females. Most people find though that they feel better satiated if they mix their protein sources, so if you want stick with eggs (which you absoluetly don't have to) you could add in some ground beef, or some mackerel for instance. Fat wise you're looking good, but I think you could ditch the fruit & up the veggies - many people find that eating fruit with meal one sets them up for headaches, fatigue, faux hunger etc later in the day - this could well be the root of your headaches and that one small tweak could put an end to them. Hold back the fruit to meal two or three & see how you go.

If that salad at meal two is HUGE then you're good to go - if you're finding you need a snack in the afternoon then try adding in some cooked veg to give you a bit more staying power - although, again, that afternoon hunger could stem from the fruit... Protein & fat look okay here.

Meal three looks small to me. How many shrimp are you having? You're aiming for at least a palm sized serving here - meaning the length, depth & width of your palm, but prawn/shrimp are not a very substantial protein source (they contain A LOT of water) so you'd maybe need two palms to keep you going. Fat is good, veg could be doubled - & then some...

Hope this helps  :) 

The weird thing is that I usually get hungry in-between lunch and dinner but never between breakfast and lunch and never after dinner. I feel insanely full from that breakfast and could probably go 5+ hours without eating after that. It must be needing more food at lunch...

I think you've got it beccabee!  Time to try out a bigger lunch!

Your meals do look really great, BTW.  Definitely more room for veggies (always seems to be).  One of my challenges on the Whole30 was to get away from snacking on fruits and/or nuts (including Larabars).  If you really do need a 4th mini-meal, try to make sure it follows the template of protein, fat and carb as well.  I like to have a hardboiled egg (protein & fat) and some sliced bell peppers. 

I notice that your lunch seems to have "watery" vegetables - think about how much spinach wilts down, and consider that cucumber and tomatoes are  mostly water as well.  You might want to try adding some cruciferous vegetables like broccoli or Brussels sprouts.  I found out that I prefer wilted to spinach to raw (the latter gives me tummy troubles), which essentially means that I can eat an entire bag of spinach in one sitting because it wilts down to not much more than a cup (even though it's 5+ cups raw).

Cheers!

Sorry for posting so much...

Yesterday I feel like I had a bad day. I was unbelievably NOT hungry when I woke up yesterday and could not bring myself to eat fish or eggs. I had half an avocado, some leftover fingerling potatoes in olive oil, a few raspberries and a cup of coffee with lots of coconut milk. I kind of felt like I was forcing myself to even eat those things. I did not get hungry until lunch in which I had a good whole30 meal. Following lunch I had another cup of coffee with coconut milk. But then I got super gasy/upset stomach. My dinner turned out to take longer to cook than I thought and I snacked on some bare dried apple. Dinner was normal although might have been a little heavy on the protein/not enough veggies.

I felt bloaty and gasy all night and even this morning but I didn't eat anything off plan -- i'm trying to figure out if it might have been something I ate and/or if it was because I didn't eat a good breakfast, or that second cup of coffee through me for a loop.

Hi again becca

Sorry to hear you had a bad day... Some loss of appetite is fairly normal at some point during your Whole30 and we'd strongly advise that you still try to eat because NOT eating only perpetuates the problem, so you did good - even if it didn;t feel like it at the time. Going forward you could try mixing up your recipes a little, or trying to aim for either very bland (scrambled egg, poattoes mashed with ghee etc) or very strong (curries, chillis etc) flavours. Plate a template meal, eat as much of it as you can ensuring you get equal amounts of each macronutrient, and then wrap up the remainder to eat as soon as you feel able.

Avocado and coconut milk can be problematic for those who are sensitive to FODMAPs, both causing bloating, gas, & nausea amongst other symptoms, so you might want to cut back on those over the next few days & see how you go.

Take a look at >this great infographic< on foods to eat/avoid - try sticking to the items listed in the green section (avoiding any non-compliant items obviously!) for a few days and your symptoms should subside, and your appetite should return.

And please don't apologise for posting too much - we're here to help, and if you don't ask you'll never learn....

Thanks! I've been eating avocado and coconut milk at pretty much every meal up until this point with no problem. I was actually thinking that it might be the olive oil since that is not something I normally use (prefer coconut, avocado, or ghee for cooking). 

Thanks! I've been eating avocado and coconut milk at pretty much every meal up until this point with no problem. I was actually thinking that it might be the olive oil since that is not something I normally use (prefer coconut, avocado, or ghee for cooking). 

With FODMAPs the issue usually arises due to a build up in the system, or when multiple high FODMAP foods are eaten together. Unfortunately there is no hard set rule here - everyone's tolerance is different and it could well be that you just reached your limit.... I feel your pain - at least I do if I eat high FODMAP foods daily.

If that's sweet potato below the raspberries then you should note that is also a high FODMAP food, as are the sprouts.... I'd definitely cut back and see how you go - sorry - I know it seems intimidating given the number of foods you are already excluding, but if I'm right (& I suspect I may well be given my own experiences) you will soon start to feel a whole lot better.... You can always reintroduce each food in small quantities once your symptoms have improved to try & figure out exactly what/how much you can tolerate.

Beautiful meal, becca!  I personally find that Brussels sprouts make me VERY gassy.  And dehydrated apples are hard on my system, too.  Maybe just try fresh?

Or, it could be FODMAPS.  Only one way to find out!  Think of this is a fun (and worthwhile) personal science experiment!

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

They are dehydrated apples. Hmm..this is no bueno news :(

Yep, the apples are high FODMAP too - sorry!!

To be honest, you could do perfectly well including one high FODMAP food per day - I was doing perfectly well myself until I went through a period of relying heavily on these types of foods at two meals per day. The build up of the 'sugars' (because that's where the problem lies) in my system made me really quite ill, bloated, full of gas, feeling STUFFED beyond capacity, and yet hungry a few hours later. Eliminating them solved the issues almost immediately.

Just to reiterate the high FODMAP foods on this plate are sprouts, apple, & guacamole/avocado - and if you accompanied this with coffee & coconut milk..... well, you see my point.

Honestly, try eating from the green list for a while and see how you go. Pretty much anything high FODMAP can be subbed with something low that is just as tasty  ;)

Archived