Before you start

MimiBeardsley

None of the above.  

I read the book on Saturday and started on  Sunday.  Cold Turkey.

I had the basics so I didn't go overboard with shopping for exotic ingredients. You can Whole 30 on a budget, too.  If you have other family members around there's the strong possibility that you can't throw their foods out of the house.  I could not.

I worked on a really big project for 19 months and  SAD foods were always lurking around.  I was not moved by them because I had made a last stand.   A last stand that has stood the test of time. That was 19 months ago.

The SAD comes with a hook-in-the-jaw and constant temptations before, during and after a Whole 30. I say WANT power is stronger than willpower.  WANT power can take you all the way through a Whole 30 days.

I think that it is much better to try your best to taper off the foods that you will be cutting out, particularly sugar.  Your hangry and hungover days may be much less and you can try out recipes and how to cook with reduced ingredients.  I actually cut out everything except dairy for about a month before starting and breezed through the first week without any of the symptoms that were discussed in the book.  I got energy much quicker than the timeline suggested.  If you only have a few days, try cutting sugar and legumes first, it is tough to read the labels to find soy and sugar and you may need some practice before you jump in.

I am on Day 53 of Paleo lifestyle, so I have done my best not to completely blow my efforts over the holidays/last days of December, but I am definitely "loading" before Jan 1st.

Oh, and no, I am not waiting to feel hungry before I eat another snack.  :P 

My pre-Whole30 guilty pleasures:

• dark chocolate,
  • nuts & nut butters,
  • cheese & yogurt,
  • bananas.

I keep telling myself I'll eat W30-ish up until to cut down on the kill-all-things stage, but I ate 6 cookies yesterday, so that's how that is going ...

I might consider a Whole60 since I seem to backslide into bad habits so quickly afterwards. I feel a weird, imaginary pressure that "You know, you're not on a Whole30 right now, you can totally eat this and be happy!" It's all lies, my friends. Cookies are not happy. 

I'm having a hard time with wasting the food currently in my pantry & fridge. At least the stuff I can't drop off at the food bank. So my plan is to just eat what I can (without going crazy) until I begin on January 1st. I've gone balls to the wall with previous attempts to change my nutritional lifestyle. Never does me good and the satisfaction of those foods is always short lived. This is my first Whole30, book just arrived from Amazon today. I'm ready!

Today, I tried to eat better than I have to get me ready for the Whole30 tomorrow.

I didn't eat any sugar because I ate all that was in the house the day before.

I ended up freezing some cheese and bread. I couldn't just throw it away. 

I am ready to start tomorrow, the day before the 1st.

It's time to feel good about myself. I am ready. Let's do it.

I've been making better choices here and there all week, but also made the conscious choice to eat some meals I hope I don't regret tomorrow! Drank alcohol last night, but will not tonight. Cleaned out most of the pantry, fridge and freezer. Have a few more things to move outta sight/easy reach. And I'm seriously contemplating just putting a zip-tie around the liquor cabinet!  :lol: My boyfriend is not doing this with me, but is in support. And he drinks beer kept in the garage fridge, so... where do we keep the zip-ties?  ^_^

Also upping my water intake, and packed up the Christmas candy to bring into work on Monday. Will have to remind myself to make/eat breakfast within the first hour of waking up tomorrow! I never eat until 3-4 hours after I get up, so this will be an adjustment. Anyone else like that?

A little bit of everything! I've been playing with whole 30 meals, particularly breakfast, over the past week. My post workout snacks have been w30. But I'm still enjoying cheese, has alcohol last night for NYE, and enjoying a few restaurant meals with friends. Also enjoyed some chocolate while reorganizing the pantry so that W30 ingredients are on the lower shelves. Basically, making some healthier choices but enjoying myself until Sunday.

I'm officially starting Monday the 4th and I am so ready mentally.

I've got a binder with notes that I made, tagged specific chapters in the book for a "go to", went shopping and made my game plan for meals.  Cleaned out a cupboard and my mini fridge....these are just for my stuff..... I have 4 kids at home so its only me doing the W30 so one cupboard is perfect for me and I have the little fridge. I have my journal ready to start journaling tomorrow as it is the day before.  I was even thinking about doing a video diary but I don't know if I will do that just yet. I've made my list of the meals I am going to make this week and my "quick meals" in case I feel like I am running out of time (I drive 3 hours a day to and from work, and work a weird shift). Tomorrow is reflection day before I start which will be with my journal.  I'm excited but scared. I know this will make me feel better and I'm super excited for any results especially those NSV's!

I've read the book as well.

Jess

I only decided last night that I am doing whole 30 after weeks of being undecided about it. My diet has been terrible over the holidays and I am steady gaining weight which is making me miserable. This is typical of me I am very impulsive but also very obsessive (my kids have autism/ADHD maybe I have just figured out where they got it). I am the only one in my house doing a whole 30 my husband doesn't approve of it and will not be supportive but I have health issues that need addressing. I am unwell at the moment with a cold and TMJ symptoms so maybe not a great time maybe a good time as this will spur me on. It's my sons birthday tomorrow so we are going to a American style bar and grill so that won't be great and I will drink my last alcohol.

• Moderators

Joy, I'm sorry to hear your hubby neither approves not will he be supportive even in his disapproval. Is there something specific that he doesn't like about this that we can give you back up for? Good for you for taking this on in spite of that... that's definitely harder but still so doable!!

Archived