TTT and Renewed Crew January Journey

NancyW

Crimsann, taking inspiration from yours, here's my favorite character (among the two dozen or more I've built on the game the kids got me hooked on 8 years ago, lol) as my mindset for Dragon Tamer.  Not quite slayer today, but getting there. :)

Looks fun, and it's not a game I've ever played I don't think and I'm not recognizing the art style, so now I'm curious...which game?  I'm a total altoholic myself, so two dozen characters sounds like a nice round number to me.  I always have to try all the types/classes/races/hair-styles!  A couple of games I've lasted 8 years or more on, but I'm always lured away by something new.   It's been kind of dry lately on new ones that caught my attention though so I'm finally getting some actual progress made in some of my old favorites.  Primarily GuildWars2 right now.  The picture I posted earlier was from Tera which I've barely ever played, but nothing has ever made me laugh harder than the total over-the-top way they announced the Gunner class in a teaser video.   Anyone who could resist trying that...I just don't know. 

On another note, I would like to do an unofficial poll of our little group and see who would think this W30 or SWYPO? 

http://againstallgrain.com/2013/01/04/banana-nut-porridge/

I'm debating trying this as one M1 alternative, but it feels like a grey area and the blogger freely admits it could be.  I also realize only I can really say which it is for me, but I'm looking for some opinions anyway.  I am known to seriously overthink things sometimes.  I did not do a lot of hot breakfast cereals before, so this would not be a replacement of my old lifestyle.  In fact, skipping M1 was my norm.  I'm looking for some portable things and will also be trying a suggestion made here earlier for "hash in a jar" as I think of it...but this seems like something else that would be grab and go and would reheat well.  I may have to wait for February for this though, I think it bothers me a little that it doesn't contain any veggie.  I considered seeing about making a pumpkin version.  I'm leaning towards trying it over the weekend and seeing...if I like it, or if I like it tooooo much.  LOL!  All those nuts, seems like it could get a bit expensive to eat as a daily anyway but it would definitely break the monotony as it's very different than any M1 option I've done so far.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks fun, and it's not a game I've ever played I don't think and I'm not recognizing the art style, so now I'm curious...which game?  I'm a total altoholic myself, so two dozen characters sounds like a nice round number to me.  I always have to try all the types/classes/races/hair-styles!  A couple of games I've lasted 8 years or more on, but I'm always lured away by something new.   It's been kind of dry lately on new ones that caught my attention though so I'm finally getting some actual progress made in some of my old favorites.  Primarily GuildWars2 right now.  The picture I posted earlier was from Tera which I've barely ever played, but nothing has ever made me laugh harder than the total over-the-top way they announced the Gunner class in a teaser video.   Anyone who could resist trying that...I just don't know. 

On another note, I would like to do an unofficial poll of our little group and see who would think this W30 or SWYPO? 

I'm debating trying this as one M1 alternative, but it feels like a grey area and the blogger freely admits it could be.  I also realize only I can really say which it is for me, but I'm looking for some opinions anyway.  I am known to seriously overthink things sometimes.  I did not do a lot of hot breakfast cereals before, so this would not be a replacement of my old lifestyle.  In fact, skipping M1 was my norm.  I'm looking for some portable things and will also be trying a suggestion made here earlier for "hash in a jar" as I think of it...but this seems like something else that would be grab and go and would reheat well.  I may have to wait for February for this though, I think it bothers me a little that it doesn't contain any veggie.  I considered seeing about making a pumpkin version.  I'm leaning towards trying it over the weekend and seeing...if I like it, or if I like it tooooo much.  LOL!  All those nuts, seems like it could get a bit expensive to eat as a daily anyway but it would definitely break the monotony as it's very different than any M1 option I've done so far.

Hi 

I had a look at the recipe and while it probably is 'legal' I think it would be too many nuts and the overripe banana would have the sugar bugs screaming for more. I wouldn't use it for myself because, a) not allowed nuts on AI and  B) bananas are too sweet for me at the moment. 

have you tried fish and veg? or ground beef with veg? or ground pork with spices to make a sausage like pattie?

I have posted before about my breakfast and it often is ground pork, grated beet root, carrot, onion: make up hundreds of them (may be a slight exaggeration) freeze them. If I forget to thaw one out the night before, I put it frozen in the pan, extra veg on to cook for six minutes, turn the pattie at about three minutes and heat my bone broth, generally it is a 7 -10 minute prep for my breakfast. I'm also not too careful about the amounts I put in to freeze so if I cook more than I can eat, I save the rest for either the next meal or the following breakfast. 

Day 12 is pretty much done and my W30 is going really well!  Today I was hungrier than usual, or maybe just wanting to eat.  Had some evil thoughts about indulging, but didn't seriously consider eating anything bad.  I think my favorite thing about W30 is the 30 day commitment.  Those foods that I have chosen not to eat will still be there in February if I want them, but I can be strict for 30 days.  

I haven't been posting, but I am keeping up with you all and am enjoying reading your posts.  It's so nice to be a part of a group going through the same challenges as me.

Crimsann, I think I would pass on the cereal, even post W30-way to many nuts!  I feel like calorie is a bad word on W30 forums, but I am trying to lose a little weight and as much as I would like a warm bowl of yummy, that one has too many calories for me!  SWYPO?  Probably, at least for me, but that's for you to decide.  I eat a flaxseed muffin-like thing (if I say muffin it is SWYPO) that I can whip up in the microwave for breakfast pretty often.  It's quick, has compliant ingredients, and keeps me comfortably full.  Part of what makes it ok for me is that it's not nearly as good as a muffin.  It barely resembles bread!  But it's my decision and I'm comfortable with that.

My favorite breakfast lately is a spaghetti squash/sausage/egg bake.  I don't generally like spaghetti squash but this reminds me of a breakfast casserole I used to make.  I scoop out a serving and microwave it while I'm fixing my coffee, and I really enjoy it!

I hope everyone has a great Wednesday!!

Nancy - love hearing you talk about your bike.  You should post a picture of you on it - that could be your "slayer" persona.

Crimsann - I would vote SWYPO on the nut porridge since it looks to replace oatmeal  :(

Amy53 - welcome - good to have you here!

I have slept pretty well for the last couple of years but I think I am not waking up as much the last few nights.  I have had a couple of episodes of heart palpitations, which had disappeared after going gluten free, so was a little rattled by that.  I read on another forum though where someone else had that problem and added in some extra salt and it helped so I will try that.  I was hungry today around 4:00pm and couldn't figure out why until I realized that my lunch really didn't have much fat - fat is where it's at! obviously.  Made up for it at dinner where I ate my pork chop and some of the fat off my husband's - which I thought was really bad until I read someone else's food log and they had done the same thing :)

Everyone hold on for the rest of the journey - make a plan for the reintros, write it out.  Coming up on the half-way mark and I know during my first W30 after half-way it seemed like all of a sudden day 30 was here.  Time to get "stuff" ready for tomorrow.

Bpaitsel, the cabbage dish is like a warm spinach salad...e.g, you combine 1 lb finely shredded cabbage w two tart green apples sliced thin, an onion thinly sliced, and a mashed clove of garlic. Squeeze on 2TB of fresh lemon juice...Then ( and here comes the good part) cook 1/4 lb of bacon diced into 1/4" bits, remove from pan w slotted spoon and drain. Leaving 1 TB of bacon grease in the pan, add in 2 TB olive oil and then pour that mixture over the cabbage, etc. then add bacon bits 2 tsp cider vinegar, /2 tsp fennel seeds, 1 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper. The warm dressing sort of wilts the cabbage....just a bit.

Lindy, thanks for your yammerings...I agree completely...and tonight, thanks to you, I am breaking my rule about screen time after 8 pm, but I AM, for the first time, drinking warm bone broth just before bed. I will see how it goes, although we just got home from a basketball game, and that always has my adrenaline in high gear for a couple of hours later...maybe the broth will take care of that too!

I agree about the breakfast porridge...probably best to try AFTER the 30 days. I have a recipe for pimento "cheese" made also from ground nuts...which is really pretty convincing ( although I must confess that I am a transplant to the South, so probably not an expert on legitimate pimento cheese)...anyway, I am staying away from it as well untilLATER.

I believe that SWYPO is really a personal matter. You KNOW if what you are doing is searching for an alternative for something you miss...or if it sounds as though it could trigger cravings, which I imagine that porridge would do for me, although now that I have bpaitsel's breakfast hash in a jar, I am so satisfied every morning!! Has the carbs I the sweet potato, but no eggs...and that is sort of a nice change too...and it is warm and nice for this time of year, even though winter in Virginia seems nonexistent this year.

Amy, so glad you are hanging out with us...keep it up!

Lindy, I assume you are staying away from coffee because of the acidity? I found a product I like a lot...but it is made from chicory and barley, so it is no compliant for w 30, but maybe OK for you afterwards as a coffee substitute? It is called TEECHINO, and I get the hazelnut flavor one. This is one things I would like to reintroduce later...MAYBE...but I so like my coffee or coffee substitutes with milk/coconut milk...and I am not sure I want to encourage myself to add that form of fat back into my consumption plan.

I got from another forum the idea of adding a few drops of macadamia nut oil to tea, and I do that sometimes when the idea of tea just doesn't seem hefty enough for me.

Ok, guys, nine broth consumed and it is PAST my bedtime. See you on the other side!

Oh, both my sons play Guild Wars, among others.  I'm on World of Warcraft (still) and have hooked my sister as well.  My daughter plays and occasionally the boys are on too so it's kind of family time since we're scattered across the country. :)  I counted today - I'm up to 35 alts in 4 different realms, lol.  I'm afraid to try any other online games, they're addictive.  There are two things I seriously enjoy that will keep me sitting almost motionless for hours if I don't have an alarm.  Reading and my game. :)  Working a desk job isn't as bad as those two, lol.

That recipe for the porridge looks very tasty, but for me it would definitely be SWYPO.  I'm having a little difficulty on the FB group I'm following with that too - there seems to be an awful lot of snacking going on.  That's a habit I just can't keep and I am under the impression it is definitely not approved unless you are actually really really hungry and don't think you can make it to the next meal.  Having said that, it would be lovely for breakfast combined with a protein. :)  I was doing half servings of chia pudding the last W30 and that seemed to go ok.

HI all... I'm really struggling here. NOT Whole30 struggles, but those do seem worse when I factor in the winter depression, the cold, and the lack of sun and activity. I could happily (no pun intended) curl up under a blankie till April. Probably a good thing I'm too intent on getting home to my jammies to stop anywhere for food, which has always been my go-to depression remedy (although it never actually fixes anything...). Anyway, what I'm getting at is...please excuse my lack of enthusiasm and participation while I try to pull myself together. I have read every inspiring word you've all shared--thank you for that!

Yeah, definitely SWYPO - it's very nut heavy considering nuts should be eaten only in moderation, and very fat heavy in general - you'd have to add a TONNE of protein & veg to this to make it meet the template.... Sorry!

HI all... I'm really struggling here. NOT Whole30 struggles, but those do seem worse when I factor in the winter depression, the cold, and the lack of sun and activity. I could happily (no pun intended) curl up under a blankie till April. Probably a good thing I'm too intent on getting home to my jammies to stop anywhere for food, which has always been my go-to depression remedy (although it never actually fixes anything...). Anyway, what I'm getting at is...please excuse my lack of enthusiasm and participation while I try to pull myself together. I have read every inspiring word you've all shared--thank you for that!

Are you including plenty of starchy veg in your meals? Or bananas which are high in tryptophan (which the body converts to seratonin) They are known to help deal with feelings of anxiety & depression and just the pick me up you need right now.... Better times are coming!

Yup...right there with you.   I knew months ago that doing a winter W30 was going to be a totally different beast and tried to come up with some strategies ahead of time but it feels like you need to be right there in it before you really know how very different it's going to be and in what ways. 

So far it's been that M1 that has been my bane.  I have yet to really be able to get myself up early enough to make time for everything from cooking to scraping snow/frost/ice off my car...with my time zone and work schedule I maybe get 10 minutes of early dawn light this time of year compared to waking up to full sun last June.  Turns out that makes a HUGE difference for me on my ability to get things done in the morning.  For future years, I am already seeing that what works in the summer...from foods to timing...is just not going to work as well in the winter.  It's almost like doing my first 30 days all over again but with different challenges.  You may remember Nancy, since you were there, that in September some of us added on an extra challenge?   There is a reason I didn't do that for January...winter IS my extra challenge and how true that's proved! 

I was hoping by week 2 that some of the benefits of better sleep and energy would help even things out, but that hasn't happened yet.  Just yesterday I hit the stage where I'm no longer yawning after lunch, but the mornings have seen little improvement yet.  I know I can work around that by doing pre-made meals and not trying to eat at home (clearly that will not include nut porridge, ROFL, loud and clear guys that is a February thing!) but that doesn't ease all of the misery. 

I have been trying to go to bed even earlier this week, embracing that seasonal need for more dark/warm/cozy and getting more rest seems like a win/win, but leaving that den in the morning is still hard.  I woke up this morning and just flipped off the whole sub zero wind chilled world, then kind of laughed at myself, but I don't like waking up on my own bad side.

Here is what I know though...we are over the hump as far as the dark days go and each day, literally, is getting a little bit brighter.  That is not even me being Pollyana.  That is science.  It may not feel like it, but I do think by week 3 and 4 we will be seeing more mood improvement too even with the weather handicap.  We may not get to beautiful summer morning joy until summer, but we might get to slushy spring hopefulness before it even thaws outside! 

Hi Nancy

Sorry to hear you are struggling and understand completely. Glad you are keeping up with us by reading and commenting when you can--reading is contributing and participating.

Have you tried bone broth? (I am beginning to sound like the poster girl for bone broth) but honestly it is so warming and comforting and helps your joints etc but the warmth and comfort may be what you need right now. Experiment with chicken broth, beef, I love oxtail broth and of course have the meat that comes off it as well. 

Will be thinking of you. xxL

Bpaitsel, the cabbage dish is like a warm spinach salad...e.g, you combine 1 lb finely shredded cabbage w two tart green apples sliced thin, an onion thinly sliced, and a mashed clove of garlic. Squeeze on 2TB of fresh lemon juice...Then ( and here comes the good part) cook 1/4 lb of bacon diced into 1/4" bits, remove from pan w slotted spoon and drain. Leaving 1 TB of bacon grease in the pan, add in 2 TB olive oil and then pour that mixture over the cabbage, etc. then add bacon bits 2 tsp cider vinegar, /2 tsp fennel seeds, 1 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper. The warm dressing sort of wilts the cabbage....just a bit.

Lindy, thanks for your yammerings...I agree completely...and tonight, thanks to you, I am breaking my rule about screen time after 8 pm, but I AM, for the first time, drinking warm bone broth just before bed. I will see how it goes, although we just got home from a basketball game, and that always has my adrenaline in high gear for a couple of hours later...maybe the broth will take care of that too!

I agree about the breakfast porridge...probably best to try AFTER the 30 days. I have a recipe for pimento "cheese" made also from ground nuts...which is really pretty convincing ( although I must confess that I am a transplant to the South, so probably not an expert on legitimate pimento cheese)...anyway, I am staying away from it as well untilLATER.

I believe that SWYPO is really a personal matter. You KNOW if what you are doing is searching for an alternative for something you miss...or if it sounds as though it could trigger cravings, which I imagine that porridge would do for me, although now that I have bpaitsel's breakfast hash in a jar, I am so satisfied every morning!! Has the carbs I the sweet potato, but no eggs...and that is sort of a nice change too...and it is warm and nice for this time of year, even though winter in Virginia seems nonexistent this year.

Amy, so glad you are hanging out with us...keep it up!

Lindy, I assume you are staying away from coffee because of the acidity? I found a product I like a lot...but it is made from chicory and barley, so it is no compliant for w 30, but maybe OK for you afterwards as a coffee substitute? It is called TEECHINO, and I get the hazelnut flavor one. This is one things I would like to reintroduce later...MAYBE...but I so like my coffee or coffee substitutes with milk/coconut milk...and I am not sure I want to encourage myself to add that form of fat back into my consumption plan.

I got from another forum the idea of adding a few drops of macadamia nut oil to tea, and I do that sometimes when the idea of tea just doesn't seem hefty enough for me.

Ok, guys, nine broth consumed and it is PAST my bedtime. See you on the other side!

Hi Merg

Sadly I am staying away from coffee for AI (this is allowed on W30 but not on paleomom and I am doing the more strict regime to nail this problem once and for all!). Thanks for the tips but barley base wouldn't work either as it is a grain--and I love barley.

I think because I am having so much trouble with missing the coffee, it really isn't good for me.

I used to do coffee with coconut oil, mix it up in the magic bullet and it was delicious--highlight of my day--even with only one cup a day I have been far too addicted to it. 

Thanks for your suggestions. Am going to look at Yerba Mate and see if that might work. L

Hi Merg

Sadly I am staying away from coffee for AI (this is allowed on W30 but not on paleomom and I am doing the more strict regime to nail this problem once and for all!). Thanks for the tips but barley base wouldn't work either as it is a grain--and I love barley.

I think because I am having so much trouble with missing the coffee, it really isn't good for me.

I used to do coffee with coconut oil, mix it up in the magic bullet and it was delicious--highlight of my day--even with only one cup a day I have been far too addicted to it. 

Thanks for your suggestions. Am going to look at Yerba Mate and see if that might work. L

Forgot to ask, how did you like the bone broth?

Loved it....still took a sleeping pill because I stayed up too late...but tonight, may try to go with bone broth alone....and my natural calm. I appreciate you for beating the drum about it...has pushe me to the point of making sure I make it every week or two and always have some on hand.

Nancy, dear...PUT ON THOSE JAMMIES and then slap a nice slab of ghee on a big honking baked sweet tater and see if that doesn't make the world seem a wee bit more tolerable....and keep coming here, even silently...we send our wishes that you see some daylight soon.....maybe it is time to rent a bike for a few days????

Crimsann, your comments are so delightful to read....so real. Thank you.

Cheers everyone. I am moving forward on my GET THE PAPERS STRAIGHT campaign for January.

Hi all - Merg, thanks for the info on the recipe, sounds great.

MissLindy - I was wondering if you have seen any improvements yet on the AI protocol?

Nancy - Will keep you in my thoughts - here's a nice warm hug - and I think Merg's advice on the sweet tater should work!

Day 13 today a little rough with some nausea right before lunch but I made myself eat and then I felt better so no big deal.  Looking forward to reintros.

Thanks, everyone--Sure helps to come home to all the ideas and support!

Yeah, definitely SWYPO - it's very nut heavy considering nuts should be eaten only in moderation, and very fat heavy in general - you'd have to add a TONNE of protein & veg to this to make it meet the template.... Sorry!

Yeah, definitely SWYPO. But sounds yummy!!

Are you including plenty of starchy veg in your meals? Or bananas which are high in tryptophan (which the body converts to seratonin) They are known to help deal with feelings of anxiety & depression and just the pick me up you need right now.... Better times are coming!

I do eat 1/2 to 1 sweet potato most days. Might have to add some bananas too. 

Yup...right there with you.   I knew months ago that doing a winter W30 was going to be a totally different beast and tried to come up with some strategies ahead of time but it feels like you need to be right there in it before you really know how very different it's going to be and in what ways. 

So far it's been that M1 that has been my bane.  I have yet to really be able to get myself up early enough to make time for everything from cooking to scraping snow/frost/ice off my car...with my time zone and work schedule I maybe get 10 minutes of early dawn light this time of year compared to waking up to full sun last June.  Turns out that makes a HUGE difference for me on my ability to get things done in the morning.  For future years, I am already seeing that what works in the summer...from foods to timing...is just not going to work as well in the winter.  It's almost like doing my first 30 days all over again but with different challenges.  You may remember Nancy, since you were there, that in September some of us added on an extra challenge?   There is a reason I didn't do that for January...winter IS my extra challenge and how true that's proved! 

I was hoping by week 2 that some of the benefits of better sleep and energy would help even things out, but that hasn't happened yet.  Just yesterday I hit the stage where I'm no longer yawning after lunch, but the mornings have seen little improvement yet.  I know I can work around that by doing pre-made meals and not trying to eat at home (clearly that will not include nut porridge, ROFL, loud and clear guys that is a February thing!) but that doesn't ease all of the misery. 

I have been trying to go to bed even earlier this week, embracing that seasonal need for more dark/warm/cozy and getting more rest seems like a win/win, but leaving that den in the morning is still hard.  I woke up this morning and just flipped off the whole sub zero wind chilled world, then kind of laughed at myself, but I don't like waking up on my own bad side.

Here is what I know though...we are over the hump as far as the dark days go and each day, literally, is getting a little bit brighter.  That is not even me being Pollyana.  That is science.  It may not feel like it, but I do think by week 3 and 4 we will be seeing more mood improvement too even with the weather handicap.  We may not get to beautiful summer morning joy until summer, but we might get to slushy spring hopefulness before it even thaws outside! 

I did notice that the days are getting the teeniest bit longer. This is GOOD.

Hi Nancy

Sorry to hear you are struggling and understand completely. Glad you are keeping up with us by reading and commenting when you can--reading is contributing and participating.

Have you tried bone broth? (I am beginning to sound like the poster girl for bone broth) but honestly it is so warming and comforting and helps your joints etc but the warmth and comfort may be what you need right now. Experiment with chicken broth, beef, I love oxtail broth and of course have the meat that comes off it as well. 

Will be thinking of you. xxL

I've been thinking I should make some bone broth, but haven't gotten around to it. I do have some Pacific brand in the cupboard, maybe that will do in a pinch.

Loved it....still took a sleeping pill because I stayed up too late...but tonight, may try to go with bone broth alone....and my natural calm. I appreciate you for beating the drum about it...has pushe me to the point of making sure I make it every week or two and always have some on hand.

Nancy, dear...PUT ON THOSE JAMMIES and then slap a nice slab of ghee on a big honking baked sweet tater and see if that doesn't make the world seem a wee bit more tolerable....and keep coming here, even silently...we send our wishes that you see some daylight soon.....maybe it is time to rent a bike for a few days????

Crimsann, your comments are so delightful to read....so real. Thank you.

Cheers everyone. I am moving forward on my GET THE PAPERS STRAIGHT campaign for January.

I am in my jammies, and I had a sweet tater with clarified butter as part of my dinner. 

Ok, I am definitely feeling a little more hopeful now than earlier. I went to dinner with a friend, and ordered filet--dry grilled, plain sweet potato, and steamed veggies, all with no added ANYthing. The waitress chuckled when I repeated the "no added ANYthing" part, and assured me that's how it would arrive. It did. And because I remembered to plan ahead, I had a container of clarified butter in my purse (who doesn't???). All day, I was ready to just give up. But I didn't. And I feel SO much better for it. And I feel so much better because of all of you! Your humor, your suggestions, your gentle support, thank you for that!

Having looked ahead at the forecast which show the temps dropping from 43 to 0 between Friday and Sunday, I'm trying to talk myself into a midnight grocery run (okay, okay, 10PM run) tomorrow night to get in all the food stuffs for this weekends cooking and then not have to leave the house all weekend. 

This means getting my list together today and committing (oh how I hate that word) to one of my remaining two weeklong January menu's.  Do I go with the adventurous and new to me Korean Ribs which were a last minute sub after someone here commented on them earlier this month...or do I go with the made-it-before but need to tweak it for W30 Beef and Butternut Squash Stew?  They keep playing hide-and-seek with the snowflake icon but most of next week looks like it's going to be snow free and hovering around 30.  I'm leaning towards keeping the stew in reserve in case the last week of January hits rock bottom and I end up snowed in or something.  If the ribs really don't turn out for me or I just can't keep eating them for a week, next week looks possible for getting out to find an alternative. 

The only problem with the rib menu is I had it listed with that pear slaw as one of the sides and the last two times I've looked for pears they have all been ripe.  This makes me laugh because they are usually hard as rocks when I need to be able to use them same day...now that I want a really firm and barely ripe pear I get melt in your mouth sweetness which is not going to work for that slaw.  But thinking about it did bring me full circle to something I made last summer which was basically a version of the ever popular Kahlua Pork type thing over cauli rice or salad with some of Whole Foods pineapple salsa on top.  Will just have to double check that, but pretty sure I found the pineapple version was their only compliant house brand salsa as the other contained either beans or corn.  Going a bit tropical for mid-winter?!  Could be a plan!   Liven everything up... 

No wonder I am so happy with my plantains and bananas. :) Sweet potato and pumpkin play a large part in my diet too, I do stay full with them and have noticed that I stay in a more positive mode when they are included.

misslindy, sing the bone broth praises all you want - I am getting a lot of it today and am with NancyW in wanting to curl up under a blankie and be in pajamas.  In fact, I AM in pajamas, don't think I am getting dressed today.  Seriously under the weather with a visitation from evil migraine and trying to fend off the fever/cold issue I feel coming on with plenty of broth.

Crimsann, I did try the taste of coconut oil to stave off sugar craving yesterday and was surprised to find it disappeared immediately and did not come back for the rest of the day.  I have Nutiva's organic, it has quite a coconut taste, so that may have helped. :) 

Crimsann, I did try the taste of coconut oil to stave off sugar craving yesterday and was surprised to find it disappeared immediately and did not come back for the rest of the day.  I have Nutiva's organic, it has quite a coconut taste, so that may have helped. :)

Huh, that's really interesting...I wouldn't have thought of that for a sugar craving but now that I think about it I almost think someone mentioned using shredded coconut flakes for that at some point.  I couldn't tell you now who/what/where/when though, but maybe it's just that we so often connect the taste of coconut to sweets so we like it...but then the hit of fat is the satisfying part.  Cravings for something sweet are something I'm fortunate enough not to have too much trouble with.  Unless I actually have something in front of me (like the candy canes on my desk) and then it's the convenience even more than the sweet that tempts me.  I spend so much of my day literally removed from the temptation of sugar or snacking.  I'm saved from Snugar just because there isn't anything around to satisfy that anyway so my brain doesn't even go there.  It's one of the few health "perks" of working such long hours, if I don't take it with me, it isn't there to trip me up!

So...WoW?!  It's funny because I would say it was sort of before my time, but that's not really true.  I just came to gaming a bit later in life.  I keep thinking I really want to try WoW just because it's the one you always hear about in chat, good/bad/panda's, it always evokes a reaction and every new game gets compared back to it.  I just splurged last year for a new laptop pretty much custom made for gaming and I can easily fit another one on if I can find the time to download it.  This winter while I am cooped up indoors anyway might be the perfect time to try it out, if nothing else so I can say I played the classic!   

Morning

The oven is fixed--so guess what that means!!! All day to day have to fit in baking/roasting with all the other things on my list. Never mind once it is done we are good to go for a few weeks.

Nancy: Glad you are feeling better and I suspect the prepared stock would do in a pinch but nothing beats the real thing. As I said experiment and see which one you find you like the best and you will never walk alone!!!

bpaitsel: I am feeling fine for the most part on AI but think it will be a slow process. I do think my clothes are fitting a bit better and I am more tired than I would have expected, but that happened with W30 as well. I think the tiredness is the body's way of taking time to repair and I am napping when I need to--and loving it I must say. I am reasonably inflexible when it comes to my regime and am sticking to basics mostly the biggest problem is my exercise. Not getting enough of it even though it is supposed to be fairly light--mine is like a feather duster! But have decided when I am ready it will happen so do what I can each day and am not worrying about it- much.

Cynthia: I love bone broth and have it all the time as you can tell. Honestly I am thinking of taking a flask of it with me next time we go to MIL's house. I made her a freezer full of chicken broth but I seem to react to chicken so haven't been having that. She loves it and it is so good for her too. At 93, living on her own, no medication and constant gardening she is doing so well.

I have been feeling hungry sooner than I think I should and wonder if I am not having enough fat. Although I think I am, I have started having a bit more coconut oil on my vegetables and will see what happens. I wonder if I am now using fat to burn so looking for more?  Although you would think the stuff I have 'in stock' and readily available would suffice. I keep imagining it all melting and running out of me--and sending it somewhere it is needed urgently. Nice if that would work.

I have tried eating more high density carbs at noon and in the evening as outlined in AI but am wary of doing that--going to bed with high carb meal in my stomach even though I eat at least three hours before bedtime. Just being contrary I expect.

Best go the kitchen is calling then have work to do. 

Hi everyone!  I hate to complain about the cold because compared to lots of you my weather is practically tropical (coastal Georgia) but mornings in the low 30s are rough when you're not used to it, I have no motivation to hit the walking trail at all.  My 2 W30s have been January and June so I knew what I was in for, wanting warm comfort foods instead of cool salads and fresh vegetables.  Last January I felt like I was cooking ALL THE TIME and it was exhausting, but this year I've really simplified things and, while my food may not be as adventurous as last year, it's a much easier W30.  I'll be more disciplined about exercise when the days are longer and a little bit warmer.

Nancy, I'm glad that you were able to go out with a friend without any food issues!  Laughing with a friend is so uplifting!  

Happy Friday to everyone!

SO glad tomorrow is Friday. I only have to work till 12:30, as I put in a couple extra hours during the week. I'm good with that.

Crimsann – I’m def not happy to see the temps dip again. Blech. Your blurb about the pears is SO true! I live for a nice ripe pear, and can never get one…unless I want a crispy one!

Cynthia – Thanks for the info on the coconut oil as a sugar craving buster! I’ve been afraid to try it, but now I will. I do love coconut anyway, so not sure why it wasn’t something I wanted to try…

misslindy – I think I might try to melt my fat cells using my imagination. Can’t hurt, might help! Ok, probably won’t help, but I’ll try anyway…

Amy – My sister lives in Marietta, GA, and I hear about the weather there often! This morning, here in WI, it was 21 degrees when I left for work. That means my lightweight winter jacket, unzipped, and no gloves on!! Got up to around 30 at lunchtime, so spent some time in the sun. 

Hi Crew - thought my nausea problem from yesterday was over but it came back last night and all day today.  Feeling ok otherwise, just very nauseated.  Still able to eat.  Also having some fluid retention problems. . . anyone else having these issues?  Had a bit of a challenge today - in addition to not feeling great was in car with hubby for a couple of hours and when he stopped for a snack - I won't even say what it was! - I was so tempted.  However, I had an apple and some water with me so I was able to resist - it's about one good choice at a time.

Nancy - Glad to hear that you are feeling better - sometimes we just need to give ourselves a little grace.  I laughed out loud when I read about you carrying around clarified butter - I have been taking a container of mayo ranch when I know I'm going out to put on salads.  I even had a server tell me the other day "you are so good - I could never eat a plain salad"   I just laughed and showed her my container.  I carry a very small purse but I might have to go a bit bigger!

Crimsann - the ribs sound great.  As creative as you are with food if the pear slaw didn't work out I bet you could come up with another great side.

MissLindy - so glad your oven is fixed!  I think you are right that your body is using a lot of energy to heal.  I would think gentle movement right now would be better than exercise of any intensity.  Don't worry about it - at all.  There will be plenty of time later for that if/when appropriate.  Love the image of melting your fat :D   The one day that I got hungry during the mid-afternoon I think it was because I didn't have much fat at lunch - seems to work.

Tomorrow is day 15 - Yay :)

Archived