Eating every 2-3 hours vs. 4-5 hours

healthyfit07

I've been thinking about this for the past couple of days and honestly just need some insight as to what's better for the body and metabolism. For the past year I've been eating 3 smaller meals plus snacks in between and they ended up being 2-3 hours apart. I definitely enjoy snacking so adjusting to the whole30 and not snacking/eating much fruit has been hard because I enjoy doing both. I also workout 5-6x a week and so in the fitness world all you see and read is how eating every 2-3 hours is what you want to do to speed up the metabolism and see progress. It's been hard eating 3 full meals and that's it. But I'm trusting process since I came into this with digestive issues so very hopeful and really trying to do my best following the template. What's the science behind eating every 2-3 hours vs 4-5?

@gfchris

I typically do eat after I workout, I'll have a hard boiled egg. But sometimes I'm not hungry after a workout especially if it's lunch time in an hour. Not because I don't want to over eat, mainly because I'm still full for breakfast. The past couple of days I've just been feeling bloated from my 3 meals because I'm trying to fit all the food sizes in. I find it way easier on my stomach to eat smaller meals ranging between 4 hours.

Ok, first off a hard boiled egg is not the best choice for post workout. The recommended post wo is protein and optional carb, no fat. Egg yolk is a fat. Egg whites, chicken or tuna are examples of better protein choices.

Note that the meal template is a recommendation, not a rule, with respect to portion sizes. Let your own level of being pleasantly satisfied and achieving 4-5 hours of satiety be your guide.

Can you post a few days worth of your meals, so we can see if something stands out that would cause bloating? Include portion sizes and daily water consumption.

• Moderators

Your body has adjusted to eating every 2-3 hours. Now you need to adjust to eating bigger meals and going 4-5 hours between meals. You can make the adjustment, although it will take some effort and time. Your body needs the rest between meals. 

Post-workout meals are not optional based upon whether or not you are hungry. Post-workout meals are designed to maximize your recovery. Your muscles are especially open to nourishment for a short-time after training. They need lean protein and (optionally) carbs in the form of starchy veggies. 

@TomDenham

I actually like eating the 4-5 hours apart but my body is still adjusting. Trusting the program.

@gfchris

Didn't think anything of the yolk, but will keep in mind.

Water: at least 3 liters of water daily.

1/10/16

Breakfast: 2 egg scramble with sautéed veggies such as mushroom, onion, spinach, and prosciutto.  Half cup mixed fruit

Lunch: Palm sized roasted chicken with raw salad( spinach, carrot, tomato, cucumber, snap pea, radish) with whole30 ranch. 1 Mandarin

Snack; Usually don't do a snack nut was eating out later so needed something. mini frittata, 1 date with almond butter

Dinner: Steak salad at the 'keg' and brought my own dressing

1/11/16

Breakfast: 3 mini frittatas (ingredients same as yesterdays scramble) banana with almond butter

Lunch: Palm sized roasted chicken with cup size steamed veggies(broccoli, cauliflower, carrot, kale, spinach) half cup of sweet potato and acorn squash

Dinner: Tuna with mayo(whole30 recipe) with raw veggies(radish, cucumber, tomato, snap pea, carrot) with ranch. half cup of acorn squash and sweet potato.

handful of berries,1 date with almond butter.

1/12/16

Breakfast: 2 poached eggs over sautéed veggies(about 1/2 cup when cooked down) (veggies; mushroom, onion, tomato, kale, spinach, prosciutto) 1 mandarin.

-am always full(uncomfortable at times) after each meal but it lasts me 4-5 hours and I'm hungry when the 5th hour rolls around

-stomach seems sensitive to Brussel sprouts and apples because it causes extra bloating, so don't eat these for now.

@TomDenham

I actually like eating the 4-5 hours apart but my body is still adjusting. Trusting the program.

@gfchris

Didn't think anything of the yolk, but will keep in mind.

Water: at least 3 liters of water daily.

1/10/16

Breakfast: 2 egg scramble with sautéed veggies such as mushroom, onion, spinach, and prosciutto.  Half cup mixed fruit

Lunch: Palm sized roasted chicken with raw salad( spinach, carrot, tomato, cucumber, snap pea, radish) with whole30 ranch. 1 Mandarin

Snack; Usually don't do a snack nut was eating out later so needed something. mini frittata, 1 date with almond butter

Dinner: Steak salad at the 'keg' and brought my own dressing

1/11/16

Breakfast: 3 mini frittatas (ingredients same as yesterdays scramble) banana with almond butter

Lunch: Palm sized roasted chicken with cup size steamed veggies(broccoli, cauliflower, carrot, kale, spinach) half cup of sweet potato and acorn squash

Dinner: Tuna with mayo(whole30 recipe) with raw veggies(radish, cucumber, tomato, snap pea, carrot) with ranch. half cup of acorn squash and sweet potato.

handful of berries,1 date with almond butter.

1/12/16

Breakfast: 2 poached eggs over sautéed veggies(about 1/2 cup when cooked down) (veggies; mushroom, onion, tomato, kale, spinach, prosciutto) 1 mandarin.

-am always full(uncomfortable at times) after each meal but it lasts me 4-5 hours and I'm hungry when the 5th hour rolls around

-stomach seems sensitive to Brussel sprouts and apples because it causes extra bloating, so don't eat these for now.

If apples & sprouts cause you noticeable bloating then you might want to scale back on the items I've highlighted in red - all considered high FODMAP foods.

Take a look at >this link< (about half way down the page) and eat from the green column until you're feeling symptom free & then try reintroducing items in the amber column, if you're good with those then you can move onto the red, bearing in mind that whilst you may be okay with any ONE of these items it may be a different story when you start combining them in meals. A build up in the system from eating a number of high FODMAP foods over the course of a couple of days can further aggravate symptoms....

Thanks for taking a look, I came across this in the whole 30 book but didnt really think it was that serious because i dont have IBS. But i will cut out all the high FODMAP foods for the next couple of weeks and see how i feel. It was already hard enough to cut out dairy, grains and all the other whole 30 stuff, but ill do it any way :)

Archived