The cravings are back??

ach324

Weirdest thing has been happening the past few days (today is day 26). I did whole30 in november, took a week break for xmas, then decided to do a 2nd one to reset after one too many splurges during xmas break ( i ate prob 75% paleo, but when I wasn't, I *really* wasn't... think xmas cookies, chinese food, pizza. home for the holidays = eating all my favorite foods I don't get to have all year. you know the drill.) 

transitioning back into whole30 wasn't super hard, i actually feel like it's been easier than round 1 because i'm more confident in my choices and i've learned how to cook tons of new and creative things. I'm feeling great, more energy and slimmer and excited about all the meals i'm eating. the only hitch is that in the past couple days, perhaps because I'm nearing reintro, i've been thinking constantly about all the things i could theoretically eat once the program is over. and sadly most of what i'm craving isn't like, white rice and chickpeas... it's dessert. donuts. brownies. and, worst of all, processed candy like reeses which I never ever ate in my pre whole30 life! where did this sugar dragon come from? I've barely had any fruit all month and you'd think that if I was going to experience a sugar hangover from xmas, it would have been earlier on.

What's happening to me? Any tips? 

Thanks!

for sure... here's a sample of my past few days:

Breakfast: veggie scramble with 3 eggs, an entire zucchini sauteed in evoo, with a couple slices of smoked salmon and a tonnn of pesto

Lunch: big bowl of chicken chilli with one small avocado 

Dinner: just over a half pound of ground beef's worth of meatballs with 1/3 of a large cabbage, steamed then sauteed in evoo, and 4 small parsnips mashed with ghee.

Breakfast: veggie scramble with 3 eggs, sauteed zucchini mushrooms and kale, a couple slices of smoked salmon and a lot of pesto

Lunch: an entire zucchini's worth of  zoodles sauteed in evoo and pesto with maybe 4oz of shrimp and a handful of cashews (not the most protein filled lunch but it was well over a palm sized serving and i was pretty full from breakfast still.)

Dinner: half a pound of slow cooked, shredded fatty beef (Stupid Easy Paleo's pomegranate habanero), with a few cups of sauteed spinach and a cole slaw made with compliant mayo, cabbage and leeks.

Breakfast: leftover beef from the short ribs with a fried egg on top and 1/3 of a butternut squash

Lunch: taco meat salad with some roasted plantains, guac, lettuce, chopped up tomatoes with about 15 baby carrots, and an apple with nut butter (I have been cutting down on the nut butter though because I know that it can be FWOB.) 

Dinner: nom nom paleo's kalua pig with roasted sweet potatoes (prob 1.5 small ones) and an entire medium sized sauteed zucchini. didn't add extra fat as i usually do because the pork is SO fatty.  

I also work out often and usually have a hard boiled or fried egg before and some slices of lean roast beef after. I also don't always eat so much zucchini it was just on sale and I had a lot this week!

Your meals look pretty good to me so you could also consider that you're having an extinction burst.

You're nearing the end, you posted earlier about your reintroductions and that you'll potentially be eating some off plan foods on your final day, before carrying out actual reintros... Your brain is trying to trick you into thinking it's okay to just go ahead & eat all that crap now, sure it's only a few days, etc etc etc...

DON'T give in, and DO up the fat as Brewer already suggested.

No no, you may have misunderstood! I am planning doing the full 30 I was just saying that on day 31 I might have to have both dairy and gluten at the same time so was wondering if I could do that, take a few days back on whole30, then do the standard reintro! Wouldnt dream of ending early :)

That being said I think I found a way around the dinner so that I only need to dairy so I'll be fine to do the reintro as suggested by

That being said I think I found a way around the dinner so that I only need to dairy so I'll be fine to do the reintro as suggested by

Ah, my apologies - and yes, this sounds like a much better plan than muddying the waters  :) 

• Moderators

Here are a few articles from Whole9 and Whole30 friend Stupid Easy Paleo

Googling your topic plus whole30 is a good way to search the forum. There are no less than 3.1Million posts about sugar dragon... tons of great resources in existing threads :)

http://whole30.com/2015/07/sugar-dragon-1/

http://whole30.com/2015/07/sugar-dragon-2/

http://whole9life.com/2010/05/sugar-tantrums/

http://stupideasypaleo.com/how-i-conquered-sugar/

Thanks. I've read all of those and more before-- will keep them in mind for sure, but was just wondering if there were any specific suggestions for this point in my whole30. i think it would help me understand WHY the cravings came back after weeks of never thinking about sweets. frankly it hadn't even crossed my mind all month until now. for the first 3 weeks or so of this round I didn't feel at all deprived but now I'm like, ugh, why can't I have a cookie. I'm glad that the rules explicitly ban compliant desserts because I think I would otherwise end up eating like, a date filled with coconut flakes or almond butter. I have also completely banned dates btw, they are so sweet and remind me of candy too much. 

Thanks. I've read all of those and more before-- will keep them in mind for sure, but was just wondering if there were any specific suggestions for this point in my whole30. i think it would help me understand WHY the cravings came back after weeks of never thinking about sweets. frankly it hadn't even crossed my mind all month until now. for the first 3 weeks or so of this round I didn't feel at all deprived but now I'm like, ugh, why can't I have a cookie. I'm glad that the rules explicitly ban compliant desserts because I think I would otherwise end up eating like, a date filled with coconut flakes or almond butter. I have also completely banned dates btw, they are so sweet and remind me of candy too much. 

Did you read the article I linked above on the Extinction Burst phenomenon...? It's quite helpful...

In the meantime I'd say up the fat, and if a craving strikes that won't pass with the usual distraction techniques have a spoonful of oil, or some olives....

You're almost there!!

I did read the article, and found it very helpful-- though it was targeted towards someone who was struggling early on. The problem with having sugar cravings late in the game is that there's not as much time left between you and the ability to eat dessert again. Hoping to banish the cravings as much as possible so that I don't relapse in February. Will try olives, the salty/savory flavor should help! Thanks again.

Some people also find nuts can poke the sugar dragon. It doesn't seem like you've had a lot, but pesto often doesn't "feel" like nuts so quantities can trick you, sometimes it can also be timing (extinction burst + nuts).

You could try going without for a day or two and see it you feel different.

Olives are a great substitute :)

Yeaaa that's a good point. I bought a small thing of pesto on Sunday (120g, this one: http://www.planetorganic.com/biona-pesto-120g-120g/2606/)and I'm over halfway done with it already. It is small but.. I used it almost every day since I bought it-- it's way too delicious. I'm not a huge olive fan... but I'll try being a little more generous with the avo!

Ahh, your pesto is actually nut free, but pine kernels (aka pine nuts) are a seed and most of the things about nuts apply to seeds. Some people have trouble with seed butters like sunbutter and tahini. Easily a food with no brakes.

If you ever can't trust yourself with pesto, it freezes really well in ice cube trays :)

Interesting! I don't really eat seeds ever except for the occasional tahini in a dressing or a dip, where the flavor isn't so strong,  but I can totally see how it's FWOB. Even though my pesto doesn't have nuts it definitely has that salty, nutty taste that I love so much-- tastes exactly like regular pesto, honestly-- so I'm sure it has the same effect!

Aww thanks Doge! Ugh, I hate that commercial and I hate WW and all the stupid fat-free chemical-laden food they push on their followers. it is the ultimate SWYPO food in a way! 

Don't get discouraged by Oprah and her bullshit. The first week is tough, remember-- your body is very much getting used to not having any sugar dairy  and whatever else you were eating before whole30. it's still new enough that the memories of xmas cookies are still fairly fresh! but by the end of the month I promise you that sweet potatoes and roasted rainbow carrots will taste just as delightful and indulgent and will actually make you feel good!

Archived