IBS flair up - sos wave

XDools

Hey all - Over the past two days I have had a major IBS flair up. It has been years since it has been like this. I can physically see my large intestine (i'm lean).

For me its 19 days (chose to restart - originally day 29).

My IBS flair up in the form of extreme bloating last night and tonight with toxic methane and sulphur gas production. The morning after feels like I have been kicked in the stomach.

Over the whole 29 days I have not experienced any headaches, cravings and only 1 food dream about a week ago. I have been grouchy.

But my gut has not settled into this - I know its only day 19.

I have tried adding bone broth to start the day, 300ml of kombusha is consumed in random mouthfuls over a 7 day period, I have been adding 1/4 of a teaspoon of saurkraut or kimchi every few days. Bone broth seems to sooth.

I didnt bring fruit in until after the first 10 days. I have cut out nuts and avo for the past week.

Meal 1 - cauliflower, sweet potato, spinach coconut milk, coconut, chicken cooked in gee curry.

Meal 2 - leftovers from M1

Meal 3 - salmon, lettuce, spinach, cucumber, olives, celery, carrot, snow peas, alfalfa, grapes, coconut, blackberries and blueberries (this was 4 each totally 12 but by far the most amount of fruit I have had in one sitting/combined with meal) 

IBS Flair up. lasted until morning. rough sleep. stomach sensitive.

Meal 1 - roast chicken, turnip, parsnip, sweet potato, 

Meal 2 - roast chicken, carrots, parsnip, red pepper.

Meal 3 - leftovers of palm sized quiche (1-2 eggs with red pepper, frozen organic broccoli, beans, bacon (nitrate and sugar free) and cauliflower), thumb size of beef strip, white potato, parsnip, 1 date and teaspoon cacao nib for crunch.

IBS flare up within 30 minutes of eating m3 - fairly common but not this severe.

FODMAPS - I have been tested with a hydrogen breath test (2010) for fructose and lactose, recording zero hydrogen and methane readings. The lactulose test responded 80 minutes after consumption. yesterdays and todays flare up occurred well before 80 minutes. I havent been tested for the other FODMAPS.

Even on days of no fruit (or that one date) I still bloat. When I bloat, I struggle to get enough water in as it causes further bloating. I am partially dehydrated.

The last few days I havent added enough fat - although I am satiated and get through between meals without snacking, I have struggled creating fats in my meals without avo or nuts and I am yet to create the mayo. I take a magnesium supplement which I cant see has any dairy or soy in it.

What can you see? I'm ready to throw in the towel and do a fast to rest my gut and juice to lesson the constipation. Their aint no tiger blood and I have been bloated for most of the 29 days.

sorry to bother everyone.

xdools.

Hey all - Over the past two days I have had a major IBS flair up. It has been years since it has been like this. I can physically see my large intestine (i'm lean).

For me its 19 days (chose to restart - originally day 29).

My IBS flair up in the form of extreme bloating last night and tonight with toxic methane and sulphur gas production. The morning after feels like I have been kicked in the stomach.

Over the whole 29 days I have not experienced any headaches, cravings and only 1 food dream about a week ago. I have been grouchy.

But my gut has not settled into this - I know its only day 19.

I have tried adding bone broth to start the day, 300ml of kombusha is consumed in random mouthfuls over a 7 day period, I have been adding 1/4 of a teaspoon of saurkraut or kimchi every few days. Bone broth seems to sooth.

I didnt bring fruit in until after the first 10 days. I have cut out nuts and avo for the past week.

Meal 1 - cauliflower, sweet potato, spinach coconut milk, coconut, chicken cooked in gee curry.

Meal 2 - leftovers from M1

Meal 3 - salmon, lettuce, spinach, cucumber, olives, celery, carrot, snow peas, alfalfa, grapes, coconut, blackberries and blueberries (this was 4 each totally 12 but by far the most amount of fruit I have had in one sitting/combined with meal) 

IBS Flair up. lasted until morning. rough sleep. stomach sensitive.

Meal 1 - roast chicken, turnip, parsnip, sweet potato

Meal 2 - roast chicken, carrots, parsnip, red pepper.

Meal 3 - leftovers of palm sized quiche (1-2 eggs with red pepper, frozen organic broccoli, beans, bacon (nitrate and sugar free) and cauliflower), thumb size of beef strip, white potato, parsnip, 1 date and teaspoon cacao nib for crunch.

IBS flare up within 30 minutes of eating m3 - fairly common but not this severe.

FODMAPS - I have been tested with a hydrogen breath test (2010) for fructose and lactose, recording zero hydrogen and methane readings. The lactulose test responded 80 minutes after consumption. yesterdays and todays flare up occurred well before 80 minutes. I havent been tested for the other FODMAPS.

Even on days of no fruit (or that one date) I still bloat. When I bloat, I struggle to get enough water in as it causes further bloating. I am partially dehydrated.

The last few days I havent added enough fat - although I am satiated and get through between meals without snacking, I have struggled creating fats in my meals without avo or nuts and I am yet to create the mayo. I take a magnesium supplement which I cant see has any dairy or soy in it.

What can you see? I'm ready to throw in the towel and do a fast to rest my gut and juice to lesson the constipation. Their aint no tiger blood and I have been bloated for most of the 29 days.

sorry to bother everyone.

xdools.

I see Polyols - lots of them - and I've highlighted them for you - and although your date is a fructan eating one would make me bloat immediately if I was eating the amount of polyols you are eating on a regular basis. I suspect you might be the same.

I'd cut out the offending foods and see how you go...

Hope this helps!

Thank-you jmcbn. I will give that a shot. I didn't realise sweet potato and coconut where polyols.

My fat sources are now really limited to mayo and olives I guess (without avo, nuts and coconut). I eat sweet potato on a daily basis especially as part of my post workout. There is a bit of conflict about what veggies are included in the polyols lists.

Given that I sound similar to you, in addition to polyols, if its ok, may i ask, when you are eating whole30 style, what else you react to? Cheers and thanks, xdools.

XDools - some local fat brands in Australia:

• RAW Macadamia Oil - linked for the picture as it's a funny bottle
    (I always check dates on Macadamia Oil, it doesn't move off the shelf at the same speeds as other oils)
  • Cobram olive oil (Coles & Woolies have it)
  • Luvaduck duck fat (I can get this at my local Coles)
  • Rougie goose fat (I look for it everywhere, some places only stock it around Xmas or Easter)
  • I really love the Pepe Saya ghee which comes in a glass jar (it's expensive but extra tasty)

Some European delis will have the Rougie goose fat and sometimes chicken fat as well (watch the chicken fat if it doesn't come in a jar with a proper label, some contain traces of gluten as they're from bbq chickens).

Can you have white potato? If you're avoiding sweet potatoes, these are an easy swap.

You also can probably get some great local cold ocean fatty fish.

Things to do with mayo & ghee: http://whole30.com/2014/08/mayo-ghee-sauces/

Thank-you jmcbn. I will give that a shot. I didn't realise sweet potato and coconut where polyols.

My fat sources are now really limited to mayo and olives I guess (without avo, nuts and coconut). I eat sweet potato on a daily basis especially as part of my post workout. There is a bit of conflict about what veggies are included in the polyols lists.

Given that I sound similar to you, in addition to polyols, if its ok, may i ask, when you are eating whole30 style, what else you react to? Cheers and thanks, xdools.

I've actually been avoiding all high FODMAP foods since the end of July last year, and only just started  reintroducing Fructans in January.

My staples in that time have been carrots, parsnips, turnips & white potatoes for starch; kale, spinach, courgettes, cucumber, cherry tomatoes (& some other local, small on the vine varieties), the greens of spring onions, peppers, dill pickles, & pickled cucumbers. Then I'll add things like romaine lettuce or bok choi in for some variety - but they tend not to be so hardy so I never buy them in any quantity. I eat eggs, and every kind  of meat, fish or poultry I can get my hands on and use olives, home-made mayo, duck fat, goose fat, lard, ghee & various oils for fats. On the very rare occasion I eat fruit it'll be blueberries or passion fruit mixed into a salad. I don't eat nuts/nut butters.

I'm *okay* with a small quantity of coconut milk - I slow cook an entire large chicken in about a third of a can, but lately I've been using a small amount of stock or rendered fat & spices instead and I'm feeling noticeably better.

I use garlic infused oil for flavour and I use A LOT of ginger, fresh herbs & spices to add interest too.

Polyols make me bloat within five minutes of eating, and if I continue eating them and then throw some fructans into the mix the result is really not good.

I had good success reintroducing sauerkraut a few weeks back so I'm looking now at including more fermented foods into my diet for the probiotic benefits - I'm planning on making my own too which should be interesting...

I pretty much cut out coffee when I first started Whole30 almost a year ago although I do indulge in the odd latte when I know the coffee is going to be really good - so no bland coffee chain coffee flavoured water thanks - it's just not worth it.  I stick mostly with green/white teas or fruit/herbals.

Sweet potatoes are definitely a polyol, and you should be fine with coconut oil, but coconut water is a fructan, and anything made from the flesh (flakes, milk, cream) is a polyol.

I've pretty much been eating off of the green list in this >infographic< which gives a good break down of what's what. 

Hope this helps  :) 

Cheers thanks guys. I downloaded the Monash university fodmap app and it's brilliant to get my head around this group of food that feels so random! I can filter by polyol, and they use a quantity green light system. As it turns out I heavily eat polyols! So I do hope this is a turning point for me. Thankyou for identifying what I couldn't see. Low fodmap whole 30 here I come (with mayo!). Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all - im past my whole30 and am slow rolling reintro. 100ml wine mixed with soda water on Monday. for the last 11 days I havent eaten polyols. Yesterday I had an IBS flare up (3 days after the wine) - consistent to what I had throughout my whole30 which makes me think it may not be wholy linked to wine. Yesterday's meals listed - can anyone see anything standout in this food list?

M1: leftover bolognsise made with: beef mince, Brussels sprouts, coconut oil, olive oil, cherry tomatoes, basil, passata sauce made only with tomato's, sweed and carrot.

M2: smoked salmon salad with beet leaves, iceberg keaves, cucumber, bean sprouts, cantaloupe.

M3: as m1 with added roast white potato and parsnip.

1.5lt water plus one cup black tea. And two cups bone broth.

If I feel a flare up brewing - I'm wondering if all food makes it worse. I can't not eat during a flare up as I still get hungry and they last for at least the rest of the day.

Thanks for looking at this and any comments you make. It feels like a private battleground.

Here's one thing to consider, which I just came across recently:  

(This is a link.  Click on it for the full article.)

Chocolate, cheese, vinegars, wine and beer, mushrooms, tomatoes, bananas, strawberries, citrus fruits, fermented foods, and bone broths are just some examples of foods that provoke a histamine reaction.

Symptoms of Histamine Intolerance:

• headaches
  • dark circles under the eyes
  • hiccups, heartburn and acid reflux
  • other digestive issues such as stomach cramping and diarrhea
  • skin conditions such as eczema, itching, hives
  • allergy and cold symptoms like congestion, sneezing, runny nose and coughing
  • irritation or itching of the eyes
  • joint pain
  • frequent urination
  • hypotension
  • tightening of the chest and anxiety or panic attacks
  • tachycardia
  • fatigue
  • hyperactivity
  • mood issues, such as irritability and aggression
  • compulsive behaviors
  • perfectionism
  • high libido