Swapping one addiction for another

cdnj

5 years ago I quit smoking for good, after a few years of kidding myself with "social smoking". Slowly, I've moved into a food addiction. I go between detoxing and binging. Whole 30 worked so well for me 2 years ago that I decided to do it again. I'm now at day 15. No cheats, per say, but I'm way overdoing it with fruits and nuts. I also haven't stopped the endless eating in the afternoon. Come to think of it, I'm failing. Nothing off plan, but not staying within the plan. 

Is it possible to be addiction free? What if I fix the food addiction and I fall into another addiction? 

Hey there

How about you become addicted to crafting, or tracing your family tree, or colouring books - or anything that occupies both your hands & your mind...

Fruits and nuts will most certainly prop up a sugar addiction - the best approach is to follow the rules AND the recommendations, ensuring your meals are built to match the recommended meal template, and ensuring that you get enough fat in particular at each meal.

If you'd like to post a few days worth of your meals indicating portion size we could take a look and maybe suggest some tweaks...

Remember that this is not just about eating compliant food. It's about creating a better relationship with food.

Yes, I would like to get "addicted" to something healthy. I wish the healthy habits would stick as easily as the bad ones do!

I keep to mostly the same breakfast each day. 2 sausage patties made from scratch, 1/2 avocado and 1 HB egg.

Lunch is a large salad with 1 serving chicken and olive oil/apple cider vinegar.

Dinner I change each week. This week is chicken with spinach, artichoke, cherry tomatoes and olives. Last week was zucchini noodles with ground meat and tomatoes. 

All recipes are Whole 30 complaint. Protein is about 4 oz. Lots of veggies. 1-2 thumb size of fat at each meal.

I hope that gives you enough info. Thanks for your help! 

You don't mention here anything about fruit or nuts - when you're indulging in snack foods can you identify when this is happening? Who you are with? What/how much you are eating? How you are feeling before hand? And then how you feel after? It might be worth starting a log to record these things to see if you can identify your triggers, and then work on developing new reactions to them.

Your breakfast is missing vegetables completely. Avocado is a fat source for Whole 30 purposes so you could probably switch the eggs for some veggies.

How much water are you drinking per day?

How much sleep are you getting...?

What are your stress levels like?

Whole 30 is a food reset. 

Neuroscience and maladapted behaviors - addictions. They can begin for one reason and can continue for another reason.   Trading in one for another,  yes. 

It's important to break the cycles of detoxing and binge eating.  The brain will always take you back there - to the root.  And the body is a bully.  

The body screams for refined carbs/sugars.  It will badger and needle you until you cave in. The brain falls victim to the body bully.  Flesh.  Skin and bones.  The rest is water. 

You can turn the tides of addiction.  You can recover.  If you can't break free on your own, sit down with someone for counsel.  Face to face.  

JMCBN,

What i gave you was only meals. What happens in between is handfuls of nuts here and there. Then I'll grab a few grapes, maybe a clementine. Sometimes I'll have a small portion of the dinner that I prepared. It's a lot. I'm starting to feel fullness where before I started W30, I never felt full.Week one I was eating dried fruit and nuts like crazy. It was keeping me away from refined sugar and crap foods I was eating before. I'm not buying that now. 

It all happens in between meals when I'm happy, sad, stressed. I doesn't matter, it always happens. 

I will add some veggies to breakfast. I sometimes do a fritatta. 

Water...need to increase.

Stress...oh yeah. I've got that. Working on that with EFT and meditation. 

Thank you so much for your insight. 

I understand addictive tendencies. I quit cigarettes 25 years ago, broke an alcohol addiction 10 years ago, quit coffee 8 months ago, and now I'm working on sugar.

I know for myself it takes a long time away from something to fully get over it. About two years.

I think a lot about food, but all of it relates to new W30 recipes, kitchen gadgets, cooking methods, pantry stocking, bone broth and Kombucha. There is no space for sugar to come in and take priority over that, but I'm well aware of how easy it would be to slide right back down that hill again.

The game for me is to not take the first step down the hill. Fruit and nuts are on the periphery of my food world. Between vegetables, meat/fish, and healthy fats, there is a world of food out there to discover and filling up my head space with all of that keeps the old thoughts of sugar at bay and moves me further away from the addictions I once had.

Ok, so you're working on the stress, how about your sleep? Lack of sleep or poor sleep quality may contribute to poor food choices....

First off I'd suggest ditching the fruit, dried fruit, nuts & nut butters - give them away, trash them, feed them to the birds - anything to get them out of the house.

Secondly I'd suggest increasing the size of your meals, & in particular the fat so that you are completely satiated, with not so much as a hint of hunger on the cards between meals

Next find a hobby that will occupy your hands & develop your mind/brain as I mentioned in my first post.

And last but not least get into the habit of washing your hands & cleaning your teeth after every meal - it's amazing (and I say this from experience) how much a simple change in habit like this can impact your eating habits.

And keep logging/posting - there is plenty of support here for you on the days you're struggling.....

Sleep is pretty good. Bed by 10, up at 5 am. 

I was occupying myself today by cleaning. The weather is getting nicer so I'll also take the dogs for a second walk after lunch. I know this is just a habit I've gotten myself into. It's time for a new habit! 

Thank you so much. I will definitely make these changes!

You can use EFT for cravings too - it's phenomenal. You gotta use it before you give in to the craving / habit of snacking though :)

would it be possible to have more info on this? :)

would it be possible to have more info on this? :)

Yes! I am not familiar with the link that MeadowLily posted above, I am sure it is fine. I would like to add a link to the originator of EFT: http://emofree.com. Gary Craig has an extensive tutorial that anyone can learn online. I also teach EFT and would be happy to answer general questions anyone may have :)

Archived