Wine reintroduction- violently ill

Sandymae

I chose to have a glass and a half of white wine last night for reintroduction. I woke at 4:30am terribly nauseated. WARNING! TMI on the way....I have severe diarrhea and vomiting. I am having some soreness and aches, but that could be attributed to two days of heavy workouts. Do I attribute my sickness to the wine or is it possibly just bad timing and maybe I have a stomach bug? I did notice (too late) that the label reads "contains sulfites." Also, I thought I ate whole 30 but my lunch companion believes their was soy in the dressing and I thoughtlessly took a bite of my daughters turkey sub. What are the signs of a bad reaction to alcohol? I read that a sulphate sensitivity is similar to an allergic reaction with stuffy nose and wheezing. I have no symptoms of this nature. I'm sitting on the sofa all day. Blah. Note, I was unaware of any food sensitivities prior to the Whole30.

• Administrators

I chose to have a glass and a half of white wine last night for reintroduction. I woke at 4:30am terribly nauseated. WARNING! TMI on the way....I have severe diarrhea and vomiting. I am having some soreness and aches, but that could be attributed to two days of heavy workouts. Do I attribute my sickness to the wine or is it possibly just bad timing and maybe I have a stomach bug? I did notice (too late) that the label reads "contains sulfites." Also, I thought I ate whole 30 but my lunch companion believes their was soy in the dressing and I thoughtlessly took a bite of my daughters turkey sub. What are the signs of a bad reaction to alcohol? I read that a sulphate sensitivity is similar to an allergic reaction with stuffy nose and wheezing. I have no symptoms of this nature. I'm sitting on the sofa all day. Blah. Note, I was unaware of any food sensitivities prior to the Whole30.

I would be most inclined to put this to a bug, besides drinking a whole bottle(s) of wine, I haven't heard of this reaction before.

• Moderators

I'd also point out that in addition to the wine, you had gluten, maybe soy, not to mention anything that may have been in the turkey on that sandwich (most lunch meat contains off-plan stuff). If you're particularly sensitive to any of those things, you could be reacting to them, or to a combination of things that maybe you could have not reacted to if you'd just had a little bit of one thing, but that the combo added up to enough to bother you.

Many people are unaware of sensitivities before a whole30 -- one way it's described is, imagine someone just follows you around poking you on the arm continuously -- it hurts at first, but then you get used to it, that spot gets sort of calloused, and it's just your normal. But then that person takes a few weeks off and goes away, so you get used to not having someone poking you in the arm all the time. When they come back and start up again, it hurts again and you have to develop that callous again and get used to it again. Sort of the same thing with foods -- when you eat stuff that irritates your stomach continuously, it builds up a layer of mucous to help protect itself. When those foods go away consistently for a period of time, that layer isn't necessary anymore and may slough off -- when you add things back, there's not that layer of protection anymore, so now they're obviously bothering you.

So now I should wait until this clears up, following the plan for at least two days, and then introduce what? We are leaving on vacation in 11 days. I was hoping to have identified what to avoid so as not to be miserable on my trip. I understand I should not try wine until I have reintroduced the other groups.

This could be a gluten reaction (vomiting and diarrhea are a standard reaction for some people, as are aches) or it could be the wine or even grapes.

Not all alcohols contain sulfites but if you are sensitive to gluten, a lot of alcohols are made from grains and labelling is not the same as on food.

Archived