Having a hard time with this much animal protein

egknapp

Hi!

I am re-starting the Whole30, beginning tomorrow April 12th. I wanted to reach out to the community about why I "fell off the wagon" last week, after about 7 days into my first Whole 30 attempt.

I am having a hard time with the amount of aminal protein that is essential to this way of eating. I have never been a fan of eggs (especially the smell) and I have always had a mixed relationship with meat, including fish. I rarely crave it and frequently have a hard time stomaching it. 

As a result, I had a hard time finding food that I wanted to eat. My consumption of animal proteins ended up being every other day (this was the max I felt like I could manage); I ended up eating more fruit than is recommended; I probably way too much avocado, sweet potatoes and nuts than is recommended (I basically felt like one giant sweet potato by day 5). I did eat a ton of vegetables in all forms, as I usually do. 

After a week, it definitely felt like something was missing. At the same time, the thought of eating more meat was very unappealing. I took some time to re-group and am willing to take another stab at it. 

My doctor suggested the Whole 30 as a way to control some health issues I've been having for the last 5 years, and I would like to complete a successful round of 30 days. If anyone has any suggestions as to how to embrace this meat-loving lifestyle, they would be greatly appreciated!

Hi there. How is your program going this'd time around? I am not a trained nutritionist or anything if that nature. However, I saw a naturopath over a year ago to find out why I was having severe fatigue issues wild I was pregnant. On a side note, I found out I am allergic to most of the grains that typical Americans consume. I began modifying my diet while seeing the naturopath. Somewhere along the line, she gave me a clean foods last that we discussed. According to many sources, most people only need 10-14% of their protein intake to come from animals. If you happen to have type I blood, the level is between 15-20%.

I would suggest utilizing nuts and seeds for protein sources. You could also ask your doctor if they have advice on the matter. Make sure to listen to your body too. I hope this helps. Good luck on the Whole30.

• Moderators

Hi there. How is your program going this'd time around? I am not a trained nutritionist or anything if that nature. However, I saw a naturopath over a year ago to find out why I was having severe fatigue issues wild I was pregnant. On a side note, I found out I am allergic to most of the grains that typical Americans consume. I began modifying my diet while seeing the naturopath. Somewhere along the line, she gave me a clean foods last that we discussed. According to many sources, most people only need 10-14% of their protein intake to come from animals. If you happen to have type I blood, the level is between 15-20%.

I would suggest utilizing nuts and seeds for protein sources. You could also ask your doctor if they have advice on the matter. Make sure to listen to your body too. I hope this helps. Good luck on the Whole30.

Hi There;

As Susan said above, nuts and seeds are more fat than protein and for the Whole30 are considered a fat source.  They are an unbalanced omega 3/6 fat source and as such should be limited.

It's great that you're working with your doctor to figure out your particular symptoms.  On the Whole30 however we don't count percentages... the meal template is specific to each person because of their unique palm size, so each person is eating the protein levels that work for them.  If people would like to go and see their naturopath or a doctor to further discuss, that's great and we love seeing people bring their healthcare professionals into their way of eating.

That said, to do an omnivore Whole30 is to eat animal protein (including fish and seafood) and we don't recommend people eat more than a closed handful of nuts/seeds more than every couple of days (as we say, they're to be limited).

I'm having somewhat of the same problem, though I do (...or did) love eggs. I'm on day 8 and can't imagine eating this much meat for the remaining 22 days...

I was raised vegetarian and didn't eat meat until 32 yrs old (4 yrs ago). I started when I was pregnant and morning sickness had turned me off from off most of the protein-dense vegetarian foods (eggs, dairy, beans, soy, etc). Before Whole30, I was eating meat maybe once a week, sometimes going a month or more without it.

The past week, I've eaten eggs for 2 meals and meat for 1 meal every day. I used to love eggs. I'm starting to dread them though. Same with the meat. I can't stand fish but I'm thinking of trying a few milder ones just to add some variety.

This is my second elimination style diet and both had me relying on eggs and meat for protein. The way I got through it before was to pick something tolerable and then eat that all the time with minor changes until I was truly and thoroughly sick of it. Example: plain scrambled eggs, scrambled eggs with spinach, scrambled eggs with herbs, scrambled eggs with curry powder (super awesome!), scrambled eggs with spinach and curry powder. Ok, now I'm sick of scrambled eggs. I'm going to make deviled eggs with various fillings until I get sick of that. By the time I did a few variations of this, all I wanted was plain scrambled eggs again. :)

Pick your least objectionable animal protein. Perhaps it's boneless, skinless chicken breast. Start by just brining and roasting it. Keep eating that until you hate it. Next meal cook it in a skillet and make a pan sauce. Keep eating that until you hate it (there are endless pan sauces to be tried though!). Now try slow cooker pulled chicken. How about spicy indian chicken curry? Thai coconut chicken soup? 

This sort of thing got me through and honestly made me a better cook when it comes to meat (something I didn't have any instruction on growing up!). And maybe eating chicken every day will make you want to switch to beef or pork or more eggs.

(this may not be an issue for you, but like the article linked above, I also have to get all my meat from ethically raised animals. We have our own chickens and ducks for eggs and I buy all of my meat directly from local farmers - at their farm where I can see how the animals are raised.)

Good luck!

I also am having a hard time with this much meat in my diet. I was a vegetarian for several years, but ended up incorporating fish and meat back into my diet in small doses for a number of reasons.

The toughest thing for me about The Whole 30 is that I simply do not love eating meat.

I can will myself to eat it, and I do, but I often feel conflicted while doing so. I love eggs so thank goodness for that!

I would be very excited to hear any suggestions as to how to succeed with a lower meat intake during The Whole 30. 

• Moderators

I also am having a hard time with this much meat in my diet. I was a vegetarian for several years, but ended up incorporating fish and meat back into my diet in small doses for a number of reasons.

The toughest thing for me about The Whole 30 is that I simply do not find meat to be all that appealing.

I can will myself to eat it, and I do, but I often feel conflicted or unappetized while doing so. I love eggs so thank goodness for that!

I would be very excited to hear any suggestions as to how to succeed with a lower meat intake during The Whole 30. 

We don't really have suggestions for how to have a lower animal protein intake on the Whole 30. All meals are recommended to be made to the template. That said, there are eggs as you know, fish and seafood, so it doesn't all have to be mammal meat.

There's a good article that you might like written by the founders of this program called The Conscious Omnivore... I can't link it right now but google it...

I too struggle with eating so much meat and eggs. I am managing but I have eaten more meat and eggs in the past 10 days than I have the last few months!

I have found that last week for me was easier as I ate mild fish for quite a few meals. Though not sure it is good to have fish so often. This week I am trying to have more meat, like pork, steak, chicken. I am definitely struggling and though I am eating it, I eat less than I probably should. Next week i will probably mix it up more so I have fish and meat. I am trying to leave the eggs for breakfast so I don't get sick of them.

Try this avocado cucumber egg salad recipe and you will love it so much you could eat it every day.  Ignore the bread roll and don't look at the others mentioned on the link as they are mostly non-compliant. 

Sometimes I add some chopped meat to an egg salad, or some canned tuna or sardine. 

And make sure you HB the eggs as in that recipe - it works so well, saves gas, makes them easy to peel and no grey yolk. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi SharynF - Just wanted to check back with you to let you know I tried the avocado cucumber egg salad - Yum!  I really liked it. Though, next time I will make a half a batch. It doesn't look too pretty after a couple days. But it was tasty! I put it on a bed of spinach and added other vegetables too.   Thanks for sharing!

Hi SharynF - Just wanted to check back with you to let you know I tried the avocado cucumber egg salad - Yum!  I really liked it. Though, next time I will make a half a batch. It doesn't look too pretty after a couple days. But it was tasty! I put it on a bed of spinach and added other vegetables too.   Thanks for sharing!

I made a batch yesterday and ate it in two sittings! Glad you like it. 

Don't forget about crustaceans and bivalves! Shrimp/prawns, langostino, crawfish, lobster, crabs of every variety, oysters, muscles (super easy to cook), clams, scallops, octopus, squid... there are so many fishes to try other than just the same old tilapia and salmon that most people think about. Catfish and it's Vietnamese brother basa/swai is a very mild fluffy delicious white fish that's great pan sautéed with lemon, garlic and parsley or "breaded" with eggs and ground walnut or almond "crust," flounder and sole are also delicate and delicious cooked so many ways.

If you have an Asian grocery store in your area, check it out for different ideas for protein sources-- mine (a predominantly Korean market) has an amazing seafood section, along with a fantastic produce section (a third of the entire store!), and some really beautiful amazing meats in all different cuts and thinnesses (thicknesses?).

I am totally with you all, trying to choke down meat and frankly feeling a little deprived (now on day 9), although I do also love eggs, and some lighter fish is ok.  (I was in love with beans, whole grains, and potatoes.)  If you like fish, try it with lime with spicy seasonings (instead of using lemon)... my husband makes it this way, and it so delicious!  Also, I find that if I shred chicken or beef (actually I haven't even eaten any beef yet), it's more tolerable than in chunks or slabs.

I made some chili from here ( ground turkey and added a TON of veggies (zucchini, carrots, red pepper).  I also made this dish (http://86lemons.com/spaghetti-squash-with-red-pepper-sauce/) and added chicken pieces on top. It felt like I was eating more of a vegetable meal - very good!  (When I ran out of squash I used salad as the base for the sauce.)

I'm doing the Whole 30 for health reasons also and think that in general it's going to be great for me to cut out all dairy, grains, and sugar, so I'm committed to the entire 30 days but not eagerly embracing the experience of eating.  I found this really great article that was helpful for me also; it reinforces why animal protein is a good thing:  http://drhyman.com/blog/2014/11/07/pegan-paleo-vegan/

Good luck to you all!

• 2 weeks later...

I totally hear you on this. I was reading the Whole30 book and was all ready to sign up. Then I started reading the recipes and I started feeling nauseous. The idea of eating meat is just gross to me, I mean literally mouth-watering (not in the good way, but in that I'm-about-to-barf way). I think Whole30 is a non-starter for me.

I was sick of meat on day 11 and I think perhaps I was eating too much meat for me. Gagging on it one day. And I decided to take a deep breath and have a couple of days where I had a lot less meat and focused on the veg and fruit. It wasn't long before my appatite fell back into place.  I don't think it's within the whole30 template (they want you to have protein with all meals), but it's not off the wagon either. You won't die from feeling hungry for a day or 2 while you maybe just don't eat as much. I also found it helpful to really think about what I wanted to eat rather then eat what I planned to eat. Like don't be afraid to change the plan or eat slowly or graze a little. 

As difficult as it is, it is really and truly worth it. I am on day 16 and can feel myself getting stronger psychologically and physically. I have so much more will power and clarity. My allergies are gone, I've barely had to take any medicine. My libido is returning. I'm excited to continue to feel good and I'm sure if you can get through the first 2 weeks, you will also feel good and gather some momentum to stick with it. Good luck!!

I'm glad this thread came back up. Last time I posted, I was on day 8 and struggling with this much meat. But I had also grown sick of eggs! I'm still on the program, Day 43, and things have changed a lot. I have enjoyed a lot of the meat I've eaten. New cuts, new recipes, new animals even. I thought I would be the last person to say this, but your taste buds (with regards to meat) - and your attitudes - are likely to change during the Whole30. I now eat meat 2 or 3 meals a day instead of the 1 meal in the beginning.

• 2 months later...

I too, like so many other members, are very excited about the Whole30, but am having a hard time with the idea of eating so much meat.  My question is this:

Can I use the vegetarian shopping list (with natto, tofu, yogurt) and also incorporate meats into my diet? Or is it recommended that we do an "either/or"- either the "real" Whole30 OR the vegetarian version of Whole30?

Thank you!

• Moderators

I too, like so many other members, are very excited about the Whole30, but am having a hard time with the idea of eating so much meat.  My question is this:

Can I use the vegetarian shopping list (with natto, tofu, yogurt) and also incorporate meats into my diet? Or is it recommended that we do an "either/or"- either the "real" Whole30 OR the vegetarian version of Whole30?

Thank you!

You should pick one or the other. If you're willing to eat meat, fish, and eggs, try to do a regular Whole30, and then you can reintroduce things like soy or other legumes and dairy during reintroductions and figure out how you feel when you eat those things, so you can decide for sure which you want to eat and in what quantities after Whole30.

Protein servings in the meal template are a range -- 1-2 palm-sized servings. You can definitely try going with the lower end of that, so one palm-sized serving (length, width, and depth of your palm) at each meal.

You might also find the tips in this article helpful.

I have been mostly vegan for the past ten years. So I am having a really hard time with the meat also. It's not that I don't like it (so I don't  have a taste/texture issue) it's that for the past decade I trained myself to believe that eating animals was wrong, bad for the planet, and that I should do it sparingly. All my meat is organic/pasture raised ect from Whole Foods but I still feel some guilt over eating this much animal products. Hard to leave my vegan ideals behind, but I am inching closer and closer to 300 lbs so I finally had to say enough is enough.

egknapp, on 12 Apr 2016 - 12:59 AM, said:

Hi!

I am re-starting the Whole30, beginning tomorrow April 12th. I wanted to reach out to the community about why I "fell off the wagon" last week, after about 7 days into my first Whole 30 attempt.

I am having a hard time with the amount of aminal protein that is essential to this way of eating. I have never been a fan of eggs (especially the smell) and I have always had a mixed relationship with meat, including fish. I rarely crave it and frequently have a hard time stomaching it. 

As a result, I had a hard time finding food that I wanted to eat. My consumption of animal proteins ended up being every other day (this was the max I felt like I could manage); I ended up eating more fruit than is recommended; I probably way too much avocado, sweet potatoes and nuts than is recommended (I basically felt like one giant sweet potato by day 5). I did eat a ton of vegetables in all forms, as I usually do. 

After a week, it definitely felt like something was missing. At the same time, the thought of eating more meat was very unappealing. I took some time to re-group and am willing to take another stab at it. 

My doctor suggested the Whole 30 as a way to control some health issues I've been having for the last 5 years, and I would like to complete a successful round of 30 days. If anyone has any suggestions as to how to embrace this meat-loving lifestyle, they would be greatly appreciated!

I was having trouble with the protein at first, and I started April 4th.  I found that I was trying to actually eat too much protein for me. I cut down on the qty just a bit, made sure I was at 4 oz each meal that made a huge difference to me.  Also, I found that I love baked salmon, and cod. Also, I started making things like the whole 30 sloppy joe meat.  It is great, and freezes well. Also, found some frittata recipes that make it better for me for breakfast, in fact just made a buffalo chicken breakfast casserole.  Was delicious!  Ultimately, you have to find what you like. For me, I eat more red meat and fish than ever, partly because I don't like much meat and partly because of the meat I do eat, I don't like chicken, turkey, or pork very well.  Good LucK! 

• 2 years later...

Hiii! Thanks for this question. I’m on day 5 and I’m struggling with meat like many people have mentioned. I understand why you are eating too many nuts. You understand it’s not right but you have a hard time with meat, like me. Some of the comments here don’t validate your stuggle and they just reiterate the W30 rules. Portion size as told by the template is hard to meet because of your dislike of meat. I’m glad I found this thread because I know I’m not alone. I don’t look forward to meals. I exercise and I struggle to eat enough calories so I’m not lightheaded (I’m not counting calories, but sometimes I think I should to make sure I’m not killing myself!). If anyone has any more tips, please share! 

Anything by the author of the Nom Nom Paleo books/blog is delicious and doesn't feel like slogging through chewing endless hunks of meat. Fire up your computer and your slow cooker and get ready to cooks some tasty things! W30 can be super delicious and diverse if you keep looking at what folks are doing and sharing!

Good luck!

@SLRudd @egknapp

Archived