Asparagus / Cauliflower

How much of  the bunch of  Asparagus do you consume for your veggie portion???  The whole bunch?  1/2 a bunch? 1/3?  

Maybe you serve Asparagus with other veggies so's not to go through so much?

I've often wondered how entire families  keep enough veggies in their fridge to get the optimum 9 cups a day per person.

Another veggie I wonder about is Cauliflower..  I eat a half.. maybe a pinch less if its a huge head.. 

How do you eye ball your Cauliflower amount?

My husband and I split a bunch of asparagus last night (tossed w olive oil, grilled outside and then seasoned with salt and pepper - yum!) That serving size is pretty standard for us. We also had salad of bibb lettuce, tomato and Tessemae's Lemon Garlic dressing with our meal of grilled chicken breast.

Cauliflower, if I'm eating florets, is typically 1/2 of my dinner plate. Mashed: around a cup - cup and a half.

Side note: 9 cups a day is the top end of the range. We recommend 1-3 cups of veggies per meal.

getting nit picky here but how much of the cauliflower are you prepping to get the remainder of your dinner plate filled?

If it's just me and my husband, we each usually end up with 1/2 a head of cauliflower.

As always, let satiety be your primary guide. 1 cup of veggies plus protein and fat may be sufficient for you some days. Other times, you may need to up your veggie serving closer to 3 cups to be satiated for 4-5 hours.

We eat half a Costco bag of cauliflower, more if it's our primary veggies. I usually roast it in fat and chili powder. If it's just me, maybe a quarter of a Costco bag. My daughter is still learning to like it (she calls it broccoli. I don't correct her).

Realize you're likely to get a variety of answers, as we're all unique: what may be satiating for one will be different for another.

The serving size that is optimal *for you* is what satiates *you,* along with your protein and fat, for 4-5 hours. I encourage you to experiment to discover what works best for you.

• Moderators

I slow cooked an entire head of cauliflower under a chicken with a can of coconut milk and spices. I ate the entire head of cauliflower with part of the chicken, but I am a really big eater. It kind of surprised me when I went to put leftovers away that there was no more cauliflower. If asparagus is the only veggie, I can eat about a whole bunch. :)

• Moderators

Asparagus -- half a bunch is probably my typical serving size, but I typically have at least one other vegetable with it. 

Cauliflower -- Usually I buy pre-chopped bags that are, I think, 12 oz, and will roast and eat the whole bag at a meal. Not sure how that relates to heads of cauliflower, though. 

I don't find asparagus very filling. I like to eat it with at least one other veggie. Tonight we had sautéed zucchini ribbons with asparagus. Three of us ate a whole bundle of asparagus and four zucchini.

I think the three of us can polish off a whole head of cauliflower, but sometimes we might have a tiny bit leftover.

hubby and I typically eat 1/2 a head at a setting but it depends on how its fixed. 

I will mince mine in my manual food processor, then make Caribbean rice or toasted rice - its easy to consume a whole head this way.

If it is sliced / roasted, we will eat the less than 1/2.  

• 2 weeks later...

Put your index fingertip to your thumb tip, making a large OK.  That's how much asparagus I like to have, plus if I undercook them just right my wife leaves a few that I scoop up. Passive aggressive? Maybe.

For cauliflower, the answer is "all". In a roasted veggie bake, I shove aside the sausages, peppers, onions, brussels sprouts, garlic and peppadews to hoard all the cauliflower, then I take a few condiments for the cauliflower, ya know, from the preceding list. That's after my wife serves herself, chivalry isn't that dead.

Archived