Double batch of mayo?

• 5 months later...
  • Moderators
9 minutes ago, Bellmaestra said:

Well, hmmm. I made it in my regular blender (the way I always make it) and the double batch turned out VERY thin. We shall see what happens after it's been in the fridge for awhile. The doubling method may work fine for a stick blender but not a regular blender.

Stephanie

You may not need exactly double the oil -- I did a double batch once, and stopped drizzling oil when I realized it was thick and mayo-like, even though I still had maybe a quarter cup left to add. Or if your eggs were a little smaller than usual this time, that can make a difference too.

On the plus side, the thin stuff still makes a good salad dressing. Maybe add some herbs and turn it into ranch or a creamy Italian.

Well, it was hopelessly broken. A gloopy, curdled mess. I think the amount of oil should not necessarily be simply doubled, but as Shannon said, only add oil until the sauce thickens and is still creamy. In the blender, you can hear the motor slow down when it's the right consistency.

This morning I took the mayo out of the fridge to warm up, then added an egg yolk to each half of the batch and whisked it like mad. It set right up again, like magic!

Stephanie

I love :wub: mayonnaise soooooooooo much! It's almost embarrassing. I put 2 or 3 garlic cloves in every batch, swoon, to kick it up a notch, plus it can only help my immune system. That said:

I've doubled twice now and even though the first batch did not get as thick as a single batch, it was thick enough for me. Also I never measure the oil anymore, which I may want to try when doubling, I think I may not have blended long enough to get the "proper" consistency. Can one blend too much. Is that when it breaks?

On 11/17/2016 at 7:28 AM, Bellmaestra said:

This morning I took the mayo out of the fridge to warm up, then added an egg yolk to each half of the batch and whisked it like mad. It set right up again, like magic!

This makes me hopeful. I've heard of fixing broken batches, but happy to read that someone had success and shared your technique.

Reporting back: as I said, I added an egg yolk to each half and hand whisked it. It turned out one of the halves set up really nicely, but the other half separated again after putting it in the fridge. I used some of it for a salad dressing, but finally dumped it because it was so gloopy. The day before TG I made another single batch and it turned out perfectly... so no more doubling for me!

I'm not able to double when using my immersion blender. I also can't use the same cup, or the blender itself for that matter, without washing between batches. When I've tried that, I get thin not-emulsified liquid that doesn't set. So, now I just make two batches, washing all of my kitchen implements between uses. Kind of annoying, but totally worth the effort!

I always make my mayo in my food processor. (It's insanely easy thay way) I've doubled it many times by exactly doubling the ingredients and never had any problems. Of course im planningto make some today, watch it be a total fail. . . :)

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2016 at 9:47 AM, Cbg84 said:

I always make my mayo in my food processor. (It's insanely easy thay way) I've doubled it many times by exactly doubling the ingredients and never had any problems. Of course im planningto make some today, watch it be a total fail. . . :)

What kind of food processor do you have? My immersion blender died halfway through a batch of mayo (I finished it by hand), and it sounds to me that a food processor is the way to go.  I was thinking of getting one of the little baby ones that does like 2 cups at a time (I have a tiny kitchen and minimal storage).

Archived