Days 5-7 Lower Joint Pain

Hello! Thank you for reading. I'm looking forward to your input.

Context: I was at the end of the healing process for two bad ankle sprains (no surgery, same ankle, some bone damage, at-home physical therapy) that occurred within two months of each other. Within the last couple of months, I had been reintroducing cardio that depended on that ankle being solid again. HIIT/sprints, jogging, elliptical, etc, no trouble with ankle (though I am sooo out of shape).:

Day 5, late, suddenly experiencing a LOT of pain in the same leg with the bad ankle. Hip-knee-ankle. Persistent off and on since.

I know you want to know what I've been eating.

Day 5 M1 - Ground beef, hard-boiled egg, tomatoes, avocado

Day 5 M2 - Garlic butter chicken, greens, balsamic vinegar, another egg, blueberries

Day 5 M2 - Salmon with herbes de Provence, asparagus

Day 6 M1 - None (woke up with sore throat, no appetite)

Day 6 M2 - Lemon Larabar, jalapeño beef sticks (on the road)

Day 6 M3 - Salmon sweet potato cakes with tartar sauce and asparagus

Day 7 M1 - Again none, sore throat

Day 7 M2 - Three fried eggs, greens with tomatoes and balsamic vinegar

Day 7 M2.5 - Several very thin slices of prosciutto

Day 7 M3 - Leftover salmon sweet potato cakes and tartar sauce and asparagus

I drink between 30 and 70 oz of water every day, along with about 20 oz black coffee. I also grew up loving nightshades and famously have eaten tomatoes like apples all my life. Any thoughts?

• Moderators

With your history of ankle injuries, I am concerned that the pain is related to your body and not what you are eating.

You are not eating nearly enough. You are skipping meals. Eating small snacks in place of meals. And maybe not eating adequate size meals when you do eat a meal. You talk about exercise sessions without listing any post-workout meals. You are drinking enough water if you weigh between 60 pounds on days you drink 30 ounces and 140 pounds on days you drink 70 ounces. 

We recommend 1/2 ounce of water per pound of body weight per day. Regarding meals...

How much to eat

Skipping breakfast is one of the worst things you can do if you want to make progress doing a Whole30. Eating within one hour of waking has a powerful influence on your hormonal rhythms. By not eating meal 1, you are encouraging negative hormonal rhythms. 

Tom - thanks for the help. It's unusual for me to skip a meal - Sat/Sun were exceptions because of my throat, but I have eaten breakfast every other day (including today). For the full meals, the portions are fairly large (typically following what the Whole30 cookbook says), and I do eat until I'm full. I'm definitely not drinking enough water.

My concern is that the only thing that has changed recently is the food plan, and that I'm not balancing something well enough. Could increased swelling or pain be related to too much or not enough salt/fat?

I'd also note that I have not exercised since beginning the Whole30, as it was recommended to take a break at the beginning. Those were the things I was asked to demonstrate to show the ankle was healed. So... no pre/post-WO meals those days, because I did not exercise those days.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey there!  Saw your post on another page and wanted to check in and see how you're doing! 

Yes, sitting at the Domain (Cru) and sipping a beverage would be such a treat.  Maybe in the future when I've got a better handle on reintroduction and all that jazz....  :)  

Yay Austin!!!

Hey there!  Saw your post on another page and wanted to check in and see how you're doing! 

Yes, sitting at the Domain (Cru) and sipping a beverage would be such a treat.  Maybe in the future when I've got a better handle on reintroduction and all that jazz....  :)  

Yay Austin!!!

Thanks girl! I think I'm going to post a success story thread with all of my benefits - today is Day 31 - but we should have a glass of wine sometime!

Also wanted to note to anyone else reading this thread that the joint pain I was experiencing did go away, and speaking with some other people in person who have been down similar paths, they experienced something almost identical in the first week. I would note, though, that all of us - them as well as myself - were beginning very long weight loss journeys, so that may have something to do with it.

• 1 year later...

I was reading this because I'm having the same question. Why would joint pain increase in the 5-7 day range? Something has to happen to cause a change from status quo.

Bad diet/bad food = no joint pain.

Whole 30/health food = joint pain.

What is the cause?

Thanks

• Administrators

I can't say exactly what the cause is, @BamaBill, but I suspect it's a combination of inflammation, release of toxins, water retention and hormonal adjustment. The key is if it settles out. 7-14 days is what could be considered the "detox" phase depending on a person's previous eating history. If you find it has settled out after that amount of time then it's safe to say it was transitory.  If it doesn't, could be worth seeing a doctor to rule out anything more serious (ie, circulation issues etc).

Archived