Starting over after bonking on a ride?

I know a typical response would be it is my choice to start over but I'm curious what others think about this situation. I am a cyclist and my rides are ~35-40 miles on average. Today I rode 53 - but two weeks ago I rode 50.  At mile 45, my leg started cramping to the point that I knew I would not make it home if I did not get electrolytes. It was a very bad "bonk" so I downed skratch and cliff shots to get enough energy to ride home. There was no way my "meat bar" would do it. At mile 32 I had a full banana and almond butter. I was eating plenty during the ride and before but I know my muscles and this was clearly an electrolyte imbalance. I'm on day 20. What are your thoughts. 

I'd start over. Electrolytes are potassium, sodium, and magnesium, not glucose.

... to get enough energy to ride home

...this was clearly an electrolyte imbalance

Which was it? Need for simple carbs or electrolytes?

On Day 20 you shouldn't have even had the goos on the bike with you.

... to get enough energy to ride home

...this was clearly an electrolyte imbalance

Which was it? Need for simple carbs or electrolytes?

On Day 20 you shouldn't have even had the goos on the bike with you.

I knew responses would be judgmental... which one was it - no energy was simple carbs - a muscle cramp was electrolytes.... there was a lot going on. 

"You shouldn't even had the goos with you..." I ride with others who could tell what I needed. 

but what a load... feels like victim blaming. 

I knew responses would be judgmental... which one was it - no energy was simple carbs - a muscle cramp was electrolytes.... there was a lot going on. 

"You shouldn't even had the goos with you..." I ride with others who could tell what I needed. 

but what a load... feels like victim blaming.

Whole30 is just 30 days and it requires a commitment and planning.

What are your goals for doing a Whole30? Perhaps this is not a good time to make the commitment.

You'll find loads of good information on the Whole30 and athletes thread so that you can better plan for your next Whole30.

• Moderators

Read this and decide for yourself whether or not to start over.

I'd recommend keeping a food log here on the forum, or at least listing a few days' of what you've been eating (be specific with portion sizes and types of vegetables), water intake, sleep, etc., so that people can help you figure out why this happened, if it was food related.  You might check out the Whole30 for Athletes section of the forum to see how other people deal with this type of thing as well.

Marty,

my husband and I are both cyclists and we are both doing our first Whole30.  We made some changes to our cycling nutrition that seem to be working.

Instead of Gu, we eat homemade "energy balls," made with dates, nuts, shredded coconut, cocoa, even a little coffee.  There are lots of recipes online.  My husband switched to Elete electrolyte drink, which I think he discovered after reading the the Whole30 for athletes section in this forum.  He is struggling a bit with his speed, but he is getting through his rides without bonking.  As for me, I find the energy balls work well, and my rides are shorter so I don't worry about electrolytes.  

Keep on making circles!

Shelly

Archived