Start Date August 1, 2016

Alicia C

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well today was definitely not in the spirit of Whole30 even if I did stick to only allowed foods - woke up late then was so busy running around all day that I didn't eat anything at all until after 6pm.  Starting to get a bit of a headache now, but it may be due to not drinking much water/jetlag/lack of sleep.  Tomorrow I start training for a new job and I made big batches of whole30 ok ketchup and ranch dressing, I have cooked ground beef in the fridge and plenty of fresh veggies, so at least tomorrow I should do better.  I do plan to bake up some approved bacon tonight to throw on my salads this week.  Also went and picked up 1/8 of a cow today so I should be set on beef for quite a while!  

Day 3 started.  Never got a headache just felt a little foggy yesterday - although my overall attitude was poor last night.  I did not get a good sleep last night and you would think I would with the lower temps and humidity (loved having the windows open last night).  Still woke up feeling good this morning - still a little foggy (or is it just "age").  Stomach has been a little iffy, but better today (yesterday I felt bloated).  They say this will be one of the hardest days - we'll see :)

Let's all stay positive and upbeat - I must have felt pretty good today - I actually put on a skirt, which I wear a lot of skirts and dresses to work when I am feeling positive (black pants are my downer) :D

I am on day 3 and am struggling a lot. I love that there is this forum but I feel like it is hard to follow the conversations. I am more used to a FB style group. Does anyone have a FB book group or know of one I can join for Aug 1st start dates??? Need some help! This is harder than I thought it was going to be.

I am on day 3 and am struggling a lot. I love that there is this forum but I feel like it is hard to follow the conversations. I am more used to a FB style group. Does anyone have a FB book group or know of one I can join for Aug 1st start dates??? Need some help! This is harder than I thought it was going to be.

stacyjewelry - I think there are some FB groups, but this forum has moderators to help and to prevent misinformation.  What specifically are you struggling with -- are you hungry, is it difficult to have compliant meal ingredients to put together and figure out meals, does it take a lot of time to make breakfast, do you have to make separate meals for yourself and others, or do you miss cream and sugar in your coffee (or another sweet treat or certain food - potatoes here), etc.?  The coffee was a big one for me, but also keeping the right foods stocked so I could eat rather than going hungry or going off the plan was also difficult my first time(s - did not finish successfully) around...  and what helped for me was to read both books I picked up at the library (I had read neither before my first start).  I first read It Starts with Food, which I really liked for the "why," but Whole30 explains more about how to get through 30 days - having a plan is important.  I hope you stay with us, but please find the support that works best for you for your success in whatever your goals are!  (Oh, I also found that although I was happy to quit early the first time and be done with it all, I almost immediately wanted to start again.  This time I waited until a vacation and my birthday were over before starting.)  

Welcome to everyone who is still joining!  

Have a great day!        

stacyjewelry, are you "following" this thread? I get new replies sent to me which is helpful to follow the conversation. On Day 3 here and it's been pretty good so far. One of the big things I've noticed is I don't get hungry between meals. I used to have eggs + wheat toast w/pb for b'fast and be counting down until lunch. Now I have just the eggs ... maybe some veggies stir-fried in olive oil and I am good to go for a lot longer. Same thing with lunch. I think the fat I'm eating helps with satiation. If I stay the same weight -- not really looking to lose -- eating this way for a month ... I am sold!

Thank you Christine and repartee. The coffee is tough but I don't think it is really food or hunger, more habit and attachments. Eating when I am stressed tired, or bored. Relaxing with a glass of wine after a long day. Feeling grouchy but not hungry for food, something else. I have both books so maybe leaning on those will help support as well, great idea.  I don't think I am following the thread properly either. I will give that a try. I will stay plugged in here and see how it goes. Thank you!

Lord help me there are pastries and bagels in my office today.  I had to attend a training that my office was hosting and now we have the leftover "breakfast" and it looks and smells amazing.  I am writing now to prevent myself from going into the kitchen.  I am not necessarily hungry, but the smells are making me feel that way!  

Just felt like sharing more than anything.  This is my 2nd Whole30 and I am just keeping in mind how I felt at the end of it and that I don't want to start over because of a single damn croissant. 

Day 3 and already noticing small benefits so that keeps me going too.  

Lord help me there are pastries and bagels in my office today.  I had to attend a training that my office was hosting and now we have the leftover "breakfast" and it looks and smells amazing.  I am writing now to prevent myself from going into the kitchen.  I am not necessarily hungry, but the smells are making me feel that way!  

Just felt like sharing more than anything.  This is my 2nd Whole30 and I am just keeping in mind how I felt at the end of it and that I don't want to start over because of a single damn croissant. 

Day 3 and already noticing small benefits so that keeps me going too.  

SFZag, I know how you feel. We had an office meeting this morning and they catered in Panera for breakfast.  I thought I was going to cave but I ate my eggs and potatoes instead. 

I am also already starting to notice a difference.

Following this thread has helped me. I get the new replies in my inbox. I saw multiple ones about donuts at work. I went through that too the first time but I have to say I never had a donut that was worth it. I have a gluten intolerance and consuming gluten gives me acid reflux, migraines, and increases my fibro pain. I can say that during my other Whole30 I was so grouchy at first I thought the donut eaters were purposely being cruel. 

I am having headaches the last few days but pretty sure it is just stress at work and home. The important thing for me is to not cave to stress-induced eating. I have found that not having nuts, nut butters and Lara bars around help me to not snack or over do it in between meals. If I get the urge and not the hunger I drink water. Having LaCroix water helps. It seems like a treat to me. 

For those who can't relax without a glass of wine, try a few moments of quiet or meditation. This does not require anything except shutting down for a few minutes. After my Whole30 last September I gave up wine completely. I tried to re-introduce it at some point last fall and I could not finish one glass. The acid reflux kicked in almost immediately. 

Some encouragement-remember the choice you made to try this plan. It will change your relationship with food, how you eat, how you feel...this coming from one who rewards herself with horrible food choices during stressful periods. This is why I am back to this plan. I have to overcome my stressors a different way. 

I started on 8/1 as well. So today is day 3. I have not "cheated" but I already find myself doing "non-recommended" things such as small snacks instead of mini meals and I know I am not eating enough. I felt great on Day 1 and ate ALOT. Day 2 I didnt have enough for lunch, and today once again i found it hard to eat lunch. I normally dont eat much during the day and then go crazy at night which of course is not healthy. Another NOT great thing I have already done is a pseudo smoothie this AM: small banana, almond milk, spoonful of coconut cream and chia seeds. It was very very delicious but I know smoothies in the AM are discouraged.

I need support and will give it to others as well!!!

Day 3 for me.  I don't remember being this crabby in ages.  I was in such a bad mood I was tempted to leave work early!  The good news is that I'm not hungry, the pain in my poor, arthritic knees has subsided, and I haven't had any cravings yet.  Re-reading the Whole 30 timeline from the book daily has been really helpful, too.  We're 10% done!  Yay for us!

So day 3 for me went really well! I haven't had a headache or any more crabby than normal. Ate all my food fine. Still feeling hungry sometimes despite eating a ton of veggies and protein but I just drink some water and ignore it. I'm

Hoping it's just me adjusting. But I already can tell an energy difference. I don't get the 2 o'clock slump that I used to. Yay!!

Day 1 for me. Had to run out to the store for the millionth time because I bought some non compliant bacon. Found the correct bacon (just meat and spices, no nitrates) and bought that. 

I am actually feeling really good. I started Paleo 3 days ago and then found this program. So I'm on day 3 without any grains or soda. I'm a soda and breadaholic, those are my biggest vices. Oh, and rice. And pasta. AND AND AND AND AND.

I can do this, though! I know I need to change. I'm morbidly obese (280 lbs at 5'4") and I just keep gaining weight. I also have hypertension. And mental illness. Hoping that a lot of this will improve.

Knittykitty - thanks for saying 10% complete! It helps me visualize the progress we are making and makes me not want to slip-up and reverse all that progress.

Pandorablack - you got this!!! We are all in this together!

Kind of feeling blah today detoxing from the grains and sugars (really missing wine). But I'm hoping these feelings should pass and then gain some pep in my step by next week.

Good Morning all - Day 4 is here.  I am still feeling a bit fuzzy and my energy level is definitely down - but I'm focused on my goals here.  Did anyone else do the self evaluation and set goals?  If not you should and make sure to look at them every day.  I actually track my goals in my daily to do journal so I have a visual of how I am doing.

Let's all have a great day.

• Moderators

So day 3 for me went really well! I haven't had a headache or any more crabby than normal. Ate all my food fine. Still feeling hungry sometimes despite eating a ton of veggies and protein but I just drink some water and ignore it. I'm

Hoping it's just me adjusting. But I already can tell an energy difference. I don't get the 2 o'clock slump that I used to. Yay!!

Don't forget to add fat at all your meals -- it will really help you to not be hungry between meals.

Archived