Start Date August 1, 2016

Alicia C

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, although honestly those two food items weren't that high on my list before I started, and I AM missing other things that were!  It's all sort of an individual journey with each of us having our own dragons to slay, and like I said before, I've had a couple of unsuccessful attempts at the Whole30 but have come to the point with my health that I really need to make this change.  It's been awhile in coming, so I encourage anyone who is struggling or just not feeling it to continue to be aware and try to make some positive changes even if there's a brownie or two involved along the way... and good for you for taking first or further steps!  I'm actually feeling worse than I did before I started in some ways (ie. said energy levels are WAY down), but since I'm only 10 days in I figure it's worth a shot to try to tweak things and give it a full 30 days.  I am trying to go "by the book" this time, and the book does say you may feel worse (or nothing at all) before you feel better.  I know that I am really the only one who truly cares about the details of my own health and that if my choices can lead to a higher quality of life and less sickness/pain in the long run, then I feel it's a gift to myself to pursue that path.  At the same time, I am feeling deprived about drinking water at the bar and not fully participating in a family meal, but again, it's 30 days, and SFZag is so right that no one really cares if you have the provided salad dressing or a seltzer vs. an alcoholic drink.  And if I can be remain in control now, then I can choose the times when I decide that having a drink or a piece of dense sourdough bread slathered in butter (ok, guess what WAS high on my list, haha) will be worth it, and I will enjoy it even more.  Or maybe not, if it makes me feel horrible.  I have to admit that in my dream the other night, I was with a group at a restaurant that had been remodeled, and I was the one trying to get everyone to find the bar so we could all get drinks, but we couldn't find it, and the rest of the group was telling me that we shouldn't get a drink anyway, that we should just go ahead and order dinner!       

Day 10, wow! 33% of the way through, can you believe it!? So far, I haven't really noticed anything; no major cravings, no major mood swings, no desire to kill all the things, sleep all day or quit altogether. However, I'm also feeling very committed to this. Even though I haven't noticed big changes, I'm feeling pretty good and my body doesn't feel weighed down after meal, which is fantastic! I like knowing what comprises the food I'm putting in my body because I made it from scratch and/or minimally processed ingredients. It's empowering! 

Quick question: my husband and I are traveling this weekend and meeting friends for lunch. What is a good, W30 compliant restaurant we could suggest? Thanks!

Day 10 and I'm definitely sleeping a whole lot better. I still have energy slumps in the afternoon but hoping that will pass. I've done something similar to this before but it was only 14 days, so I have a horrid feeling my difficult point is just around the corner :(

I know this has been asked so many times, but there seems to be different answers everywhere: how many servings of fruit should we aim for. And yes I know that fruit isnt required on this program but NO fruit doesnt seem like a great idea right now (at least to me) given the beautiful bounty of summer fruit that is out there. So I guess my main question is: is 3 too many? I could cut it down to 2 by splitting my handfuls between two meals. Also, my sugar dragon is not my main problem, so i dont think im seeking out sweet, but I do notice that fruit tastes VERY sweet to me lately. Also, I dont eat fruit alone, but usually with greens mixed in a salad at lunch (apples or blueberries) or diced mango on curry chicken or grilled peaches with grilled steak. Im getting hungry...............

• Moderators
Just now, AmyRosina said:

I know this has been asked so many times, but there seems to be different answers everywhere: how many servings of fruit should we aim for. And yes I know that fruit isnt required on this program but NO fruit doesnt seem like a great idea right now (at least to me) given the beautiful bounty of summer fruit that is out there. So I guess my main question is: is 3 too many? I could cut it down to 2 by splitting my handfuls between two meals. Also, my sugar dragon is not my main problem, so i dont think im seeking out sweet, but I do notice that fruit tastes VERY sweet to me lately. Also, I dont eat fruit alone, but usually with greens mixed in a salad at lunch (apples or blueberries) or diced mango on curry chicken or grilled peaches with grilled steak. Im getting hungry...............

The meal template recommends having fruit occasionally. Melissa herself has said that it's okay to have more during the summer when it's plentiful -- but then remember in winter, you're not going to have as much. It sounds like you're eating it the way we'd recommend, in meals, so that's not a problem. If you ever feel like you're choosing fruit over vegetables, or if you realize you're stressed or emotional about something and are eating fruit by itself, or if you feel like a meal just isn't finished unless you have some fruit, or if it's midwinter and fruit is no longer plentiful but you're still having three servings a day, then those would be times to reconsider how much you're eating. As long as you feel good and it's not pushing vegetables (or protein or fat) off your plate, and you're eating it with meals, don't worry about it.

23 hours ago, ladyshanny said:

Errrr....depends. If the sulfites are listed in the ingredients list, then they are added to the product and this would not be compliant. If the label says "contains sulfites" or "naturally occurring sulfites" anywhere else on the label besides the ingredients list then it would be fine.

.IMG_3390.JPG

Sorry to belabor this point but after our conversation about balsamic vinegar yesterday, I'm still not clear if this balsamic is compliant.  Any help would be appreciated!

I'm at that Blech phase.  Nothing sounds good to eat.  I don't have the energy rush yet.  Just . . . blech.  

I have an eye infection and a head ache and it's nasty hot out, so all I want is some comfort ice cream.  

I know I just need to power through this, but it's hard.

@marolujo European Food Law states that the top 14 (IIRC!) allergens must be identified on labels in BOLD. Sulphites are one of the 14 and as this product is produced in Italy, even if they are naturally occurring sulphites they still need to be identified as an allergen. The sulphites here are not (IMHO) added.

23 hours ago, mrsrooddog said:

Day 10, wow! 33% of the way through, can you believe it!? So far, I haven't really noticed anything; no major cravings, no major mood swings, no desire to kill all the things, sleep all day or quit altogether. However, I'm also feeling very committed to this. Even though I haven't noticed big changes, I'm feeling pretty good and my body doesn't feel weighed down after meal, which is fantastic! I like knowing what comprises the food I'm putting in my body because I made it from scratch and/or minimally processed ingredients. It's empowering! 

Quick question: my husband and I are traveling this weekend and meeting friends for lunch. What is a good, W30 compliant restaurant we could suggest? Thanks!

I love knowing what exactly is going into my body!  I've been spending more to buy organic ingredients, knowing I won't be eating out all month and saving some money there.  I miss the convenience of just grabbing something for lunch, but otherwise I prefer NOT to eat out this month unless absolutely necessary, because I'm sure I would get some bland steamed vegetables and plain slab of meat that would be so inferior to what I would make at home and would be money NOT well spent. 

However, mrsrooddog, since you are going on with life and meeting friends (instead of being antisocial for a month like I am), I think you can piece together a meal at almost any restaurant.  I used to have to eat out a lot for work and it got to be just too much heavy food, so I would just find some base item and ask the waiter if it could be prepared this way or that.  The local restaurants were more flexible than national chains about substituting and special orders, but even if you order something straight from the menu you can leave the noncompliant part uneaten (or put it on your husband's plate right away to get it away from you).  A salad with plain chicken and oil/vinegar dressing is always a safe bet, albeit kind of boring... but you are there for the friends and not as much the food this time.  Here's a link I found with some tips, or just google "whole30 restaurants" to find lots of info.

restaurants

4 hours ago, marolujo said:

Yeah!!!!! Thank you!  So I'm back to being on day 11.  What a relief!

Yeah!  Glad you did not have to go back to Day 1!

4 hours ago, bigmamabird said:

I'm at that Blech phase.  Nothing sounds good to eat.  I don't have the energy rush yet.  Just . . . blech.  

I have an eye infection and a head ache and it's nasty hot out, so all I want is some comfort ice cream.  

My family is sick and I'm really hoping I don't get it!  I'm hoping all these vegetables will increase my immunity.  Have some herbal tea and pretend it's comforting.  You can power through this, bigmamabird! 

Today's rough.  Not in an extreme way or anything I just don't think I've been this tired since starting the program.... I did take my nanny girls to an amusement park on Tuesday and then I did have them 7am-9:30pm last night. A long 14 hour shift in which neither of them napped so it could be that. I also have been slacking on water recently I'm trying to make myself have 3 more bottles of water before I'll reward myself with an afternoon coffee (: (I've already had 2 16oz) 

Day 11.  I was exhausted all day yesterday.  This was the first time I've felt that sort of fatigue.  Last night I had my first food dream (office building with different hallways and departments called "pretzels and salty snacks" , "ice cream" etc. and I woke up because I'd wolfed down a whole bag of potato chips and panicked.

I noticed this morning that my knees are no longer swollen and a great majority of the pain is gone.  One of the happiest things about this experience has been a slowly evolving experience at the grocery store.  First, it doesn't take me long to do my weekly shop because I'm not traveling every aisle. I've been able to focus on the healthy foods I want to eat rather than being distracted by junk and feeling guilty about buying it.  And althoug I'm buying more expensive cuts of meat and organic produce when I can, my food expenses are lower because I'm not stopping at the store several times a week to buy binge food.  

I don't think I've lost much weight.  My jeans are a little looser but not enough to get excited about.  As long as I keep focusing on my health and nsv, I'll be ok. 

I hope everyone is feeling strong and positive!

5 hours ago, bigmamabird said:

Can you sip on some bone broth? Eat something comforting like good old chicken soups & maybe some mashed root veg? And don't be afraid to take some pain meds for the headache - there's no need to suffer needlessly!

Hope you're feeling better soon....

Congrats on making it to day 11 everyone! I'm so happy to read I'm not the only one feeling the symptoms! I ALMOST quit yesterday and today! I had a huge haul of groceries from whole foods, and overnight my fridge broke...when I woke up everything was warm! I had to throw it all out! I was so frustrated and sick of eating the food anyway, and then to have my fridge break was almost the last straw for me! I was ready to head to McDonald's! BUT I told myself I couldn't quit (this is the longest I've eaten this healthy in my life) I found some food that would be ok...like a hard boiled egg and a couple bell peppers...ate that for breakfast, got out a cooler, loaded up my 3 kids, and went out to get more food! Today, I was still frustrated at not having a fridge, and not being able to plan and prepare. There was pizza around me today, but I rallied, and pulled through and made it through days 10 and 11! Hoping it will get easier from here on out! 

Made to day 12, whoop! I slept really deeply last night - best I have in ages. Although I woke up at stupid o'clock as I had my first ever food dream. It felt hugely real and I woke up convinced I'd eaten brown rice sushi and that I needed to start again. Then I realised it was 5.30am lol

37 minutes ago, ebagshaw said:

It's protein, so either eggs or chicken with vegetables and normally avocado for my good fat intake.

What types of veg? And are you getting enough food in general? Many people subconsciously eat to the lower end of the template when in fact they need more... If you meals are well composed that afternoon slump should pretty much be history by now.

Elizabeth3, congrats on pulling through!  I think that is epic determination in the face of surmountable issues that you could have very easily taken as a "sign" and let them derail you.  I applaud you for not taking the easy way out and I'm sorry about all of your wasted food!  Hang in there!  You clearly have the mental capacity to get through to the end!

8 minutes ago, marolujo said:

Elizabeth3, congrats on pulling through!  I think that is epic determination in the face of surmountable issues that you could have very easily taken as a "sign" and let them derail you.  I applaud you for not taking the easy way out and I'm sorry about all of your wasted food!  Hang in there!  You clearly have the mental capacity to get through to the end!

Thank you marolujo!!! Makes me feel so much better! 

5 hours ago, jmcbn said:

What types of veg? And are you getting enough food in general? Many people subconsciously eat to the lower end of the template when in fact they need more... If you meals are well composed that afternoon slump should pretty much be history by now.

Green veg like spinach; broccoli and courgette. Sometimes sweet potato. It didn't happen today but I'm working from home rather than my office, so not sure if it's being away from the office or the programme finally kicking in

13 hours ago, Elizabeth3 said:

I ALMOST quit yesterday and today! ...but I rallied, and pulled through and made it through days 10 and 11! Hoping it will get easier from here on out! 

Great job, Elizabeth!  You definitely can make it through now after surviving that fiasco!  How frustrating to lose all that food and then having the inconvenience of no fridge – you deserve to lose an extra few pounds for that, haha!  And I was feeling sorry for myself battling with ants in the kitchen; they are abundant in our area this summer and showed up almost exactly on the 1st, and I was especially angry about it on days 5 and 6!:)

7 hours ago, jmcbn said:

.. If you meals are well composed that afternoon slump should pretty much be history by now.

Yesterday I was feeling really discouraged because I was super tired again even after getting lots of sleep at night… but I had not had a morning coffee (I felt like making coffee, blending it, and doing all the related dishes were taking up way too much time).  I didn’t exactly eat to template for dinner but had a good breakfast and lunch, although I did get hungry surprisingly soon after lunch... which also could have been PMS/hormones.  I like the freedom of just eating and not measuring or paying much attention as long as the template is there (and then forgetting all about it and not obsessing), but apparently I need to add more food, and I’m guessing I’m not getting enough protein.  If I’m eating a little less protein and then a little more fat to make up the calories, is this going to be a problem?  Today I woke up really refreshed and earlier than I have been, so maybe my timeline is just off… or it may be that I’m still fighting the bad cold my family has and that I needed the extra sleep to ward it off?  At any rate, I was glad to waste my time making coffee today.  I would like to try cutting caffeine, but I’m going to wait another week to see how I’m feeling otherwise.

….

I’m so proud of all of us for making it this long (over 35%)!  I’m feeling a no-turning-back commitment even through the next possibly challenging days.  Thanks to all who are posting – it really helps me.  How are all you other radio-silence peeps doing… are you still with us?  Need any support?

I was surprisingly tired today.  After 3-4 days of waking up at 5 am even after waking up at 2 am to go to the bathroom.  Maybe waking up at 5 am and getting less than 7 hours of sleep as a result for a few nights in a row caught up to me or maybe I ate poorly yesterday.  It didn't seem like it with the exception of too many fried plantains at dinner.  Yesterday morning, my morning walk was pretty sluggish so I wanted to have more carbs for dinner to see if that had an effect this am but I woke up late and had an early commitment so I couldn't test my theory.  I've felt great for so many mornings, it felt weird to stay in bed until 6:30 this morning!

Archived