Start Date August 1, 2016

Alicia C

2 hours ago, jmcbn said:

Ok, I don't think you're eating enough.

When eggs are the only source of protein in a meal a serving would be the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand. That's generally 3-4 for most people. And when you start the day with an inadequate breakfast you then spend the rest of te day playing catch up. However, since your other meals are on the small side (2 boiled eggs & an apple/blueberries) you're never really getting caught up & that's what your body is trying to tell you.

Protein you need for staying power. It takes the body some time to digest so it provides a nice slow burning source of fuel. Fat (which you are severely lacking in) provides energy & keeps the brain healthy. Egg yolks don;t count by the way, neither does the oil you're using to cook with. Veg wise you're also very low on. The recommendation is for 1-3 cups with 3 being optimum, but what we really mean is FILL your plate. Some meals don;t have ANY veg here.

You might also want to keep any fruit and/or starchy veg until meal three - it is likley to impact blood sugar when eaten later in the day, and there is plenty of anecdotal eveidence that the starches will help with sleep.

And on that note (these are all pretty important).... How is your sleep? Are you salting your food ? Are you drinking the recommended half an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily?

Love the dream stories! I only remember dreams when I'm pregnant but my sleep has actually gotten worse.  I was exhausted after a busy day on Saturday and went to bed around 10 pm and then was WIDE AWAKE from 3 am - 5 am.  Very annoying.  I can also see that I need to be better with salt and fats.  I considered the olive oil I used to make my eggs my fat allotment and I stopped cooking with a much salt years ago so I probably need to add it more liberally.  And I always struggled to get in 8 glasses a water a day, now I need 13 so I haven't been very good with that.

One question on mayo.  Do you recommend finding pasteurized eggs since they are raw in the may recipe?

I do seem to be losing my chewing gum craving - that was hard because I would always chew gum after I ate so I've become less grumpy about brushing my teeth after meals.  And I just fit into some pants that I'd stopped wearing earlier this summer so that is good news but I still would gladly pay cold hard cash for the chance to get on my scale...

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, marolujo said:

One question on mayo.  Do you recommend finding pasteurized eggs since they are raw in the may recipe?

I've been eating home made mayo using unpasteurised eggs for a long time and never suffered any ill. That said I know where the eggs are coming from.

Here's a link to a thread that might help you make up your own mind...

I am more prepared this week after finally going to the grocery store Friday evening. I splurged on avocados. I love them but hate when they are bad because they are expensive. I know I have read in the forum posts that some do not like them. I think it might be a texture thing. I think they take on whatever taste you want to mix with them so I love their versatility. 

One thing I gave up recently that I had discovered on my last Whole30 was sweet potatoes. I just love them. So satisfying. I suspected they were causing some problems for me so I have not had any this time. Luckily, I have stocked up on cauliflower and been making lots of cauli-rice. My favorite meal so far is grilled chicken with coconut curry and lots of peppers. Peppers were on sale for me this week too. 

What has been your favorite compliant meal? 

28 minutes ago, gypsyhorsefan said:

I miss peanut butter

Have you tried another nut butter, such as almond or sunbutter? It's not exactly like peanut butter, but it's close enough (for me) to serve as a substitute.

Hey Everyone! Congrats on making it to day 8. Oddly enough, I have been experiencing EVERY single symptom according to the timeline. I guess that means I'm doing something right?  Today (day 8) has been miserable. My stomach issues are crazy! I am patiently waiting for all of these horrible symptoms to go away! Anyone else experiencing this today? 

1 hour ago, Elizabeth3 said:

Hey Everyone! Congrats on making it to day 8. Oddly enough, I have been experiencing EVERY single symptom according to the timeline. I guess that means I'm doing something right?  Today (day 8) has been miserable. My stomach issues are crazy! I am patiently waiting for all of these horrible symptoms to go away! Anyone else experiencing this today? 

Oh I hear you! my stomach issues are terrible today and I just feel awful. so bloated. I hardly wanted my food today, but made myself eat. hopefully we'll be thru the worst soon? aren't days 10-11 supposed to be terrible though? ugh

For those of you experiencing tummy troubles please do post in the Troubleshooting section of the forum if things don't settle down for you in a few days - it could be that you're sensitive to something you're eating, or that the coposition of your meals needs tweaking...

Welcome Day 9.  Yesterday I seemed to have a little more energy - didn't feel like falling asleep at my desk.

However, my sleep has not been getting any better - at least according to my sleep app - the only good night I had was Saturday night.  Maybe its the app :)

I have had only one real craving over the past 9 days - all I can think about is having a grilled cheese sandwich - a good one with Cheddar.

My real problem is getting in enough protein - I just have never been a big protein lover.  Yes I like chicken, steak, pork, seafood - but in smaller portions.  The other night I made my husband and I a modified Shrimp Scampi with Zucchini Noodles and I gave us 10 large shrimp each - now both of us don't want to see shrimp again for a long time - 5 would  have been the right amount for both of us.  But then I'm not sure we would have gotten enough protein into the meal.

Veggies are easy for me - no problem getting them in and we both like a little fruit a day.  Fat also has not been an issue, but again not sure we are getting enough - we may be just under the guidelines here.  Maybe its all those years of limiting fat in our diet.

to all of you - Let's have a great day - stay focused on our goals.  Have a great Day.

Hello day 9!! I felt great the first week but have felt a little sluggish yesterday and today. I am pretty sure I am getting enough protein. I usually eat meat for dinner and lunch. I plenty of veggies and some fruit for breakfast and lunch. I make sure to drink my water (definitely missing my soda). I don't think I am getting enough fat but not sure were or how to add that in. I do not like avocados. I have been using olive oil to cook with and Ghee.   

6 minutes ago, Betsy Watson said:

Hello day 9!! I felt great the first week but have felt a little sluggish yesterday and today. I am pretty sure I am getting enough protein. I usually eat meat for dinner and lunch. I plenty of veggies and some fruit for breakfast and lunch. I make sure to drink my water (definitely missing my soda). I don't think I am getting enough fat but not sure were or how to add that in. I do not like avocados. I have been using olive oil to cook with and Ghee.   

Are you just eating fruit/veg for breakfast? If so therein lies your problem - particularly having fasted overnight. You body needs the slow release of energy provided by protein & the energy provided from fat to kick start your day the right way.

Re fat - have you tried home-made mayo? Or you can use compliant bacon, fatty cuts of meat, nuts/seeds & their oils/butters (in moderation), coconut milk/cream/oil/flesh, tallow, lard, duck/goose fat, olives....

Day 9 and feeling fine!  Just kidding, not totally, but not horrible.  My energy has not been as through the roof as I have been hoping it would by now.  Definitely more and more steady throughout the day but not as high as I would like.  The first time I did my Whole30 back in March, I didn't drink any coffee and I suspect this has something to do with it.  I am drinking coffee this time around.  On the coffee note, if you all are missing your creamer, try the Whole30 approved Nutpods.  I am drinking coffee right now with some in it and I may never go back to dairy creamer again.  I am not one for the coffeemate/fake creamers anyhow so that isn't what I miss about creamer.  I miss how it cuts the bitterness of the coffee - black coffee and I do NOT get along.  This hazelnut nutpod is amazing.  

Because this is my 2nd Whole30 and I am attempting to make it a lifestyle after the 30 days are up, I am really struggling with the urge to just stop and enjoy life as it happens, but remain on program the rest of the time.  I have to keep telling myself, it's only 30 days, no one really cares about what YOU are doing, you are doing this for you and being nice to yourself. Just muscle through this urge and you will be fine.  It's worked so far, but I see a few bumps ahead in August.  I picked this month to do this again because I had NOTHING on my calendar, but things have slowly popped up that I really want to fully participate in (a night drinking with my friends, a family dinner out, etc) but I can't participate the way I want to.  In the end, I have to remember that no one will remember that I was sober that night or what I ate at dinner and as long as I am there, that's what matters more.  

Sorry to ramble!  I am doing this alone as I am single and live alone, and you guys are my only vent/ear to listen since you are doing this too!  

Thanks for reading!

Day 9 has been a roller coaster for me.

It started with what I can only describe as pregnancy-similar hormones coupled with irrational emotions and crying fits.  I have no idea if my weird "sugar waves" yesterday were hormonal related and this morning they were heightened or not.  I'm only 38 and not possible to be pregnant, so that was weird.

I was sure to include more fats and salt in my foods today and I've had more energy and no "sugar waves".  I won't be using the avocado mayo recipe again...it wasn't something I liked, but I don't care for avocados.  

SFZag, I hear ya!  My BFF moved away and we had our last outing on Saturday...I drank water at the bar as well as the restaurant...that's it.  I'm glad I participated, but I just kept saying "I don't want to start over again!!!" and stuck with it.  Bonus: she got to party and have a DD without guilt! Hang in there!

Dory's message seems to be fitting this week: Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming.  All you've got to do is swim!

22 minutes ago, Neftes said:

Dory's message seems to be fitting this week: Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming.  All you've got to do is swim!

I like that (: just keep swimming is a good way to think!  I'm with you on wanting to just live life while it happens I went to a theme park today and let me tell you. Whole30ing in a theme park is hard! Keep up the good work everyone! 

Well I fell off the bandwagon tonight - ordered pizza, breadsticks, brownies, the works.  I just haven't really felt any physical changes whatsoever.  I think even if I had felt negative changes I would stick with it because they describe that in the books but I just feel the same as always.  I did it more to try to break my sugar habit than anything else, but mentally I just don't think I was ready for it because I keep focusing on what I can't have instead of what I can have.  I have a fully stocked kitchen with lots of good food but I'm so tired of doing dishes and cooking constantly, I needed a break.  Maybe if I feel terrible after eating this junk food I'll hop back on and start over but I doubt it.  I am taking away some useful things (like that sugar is in everything!  Including many things it doesn't need to be in!) and will probably be more conscious about my food choices but it's just not for me right now.

Day 9- wow I cant believe i have stuck to it. But, my body doesnt feel like I have. I feel fatter (scale is buried in the closet so I wont check). I feel like ive been eating wonderfully and i have enjoyed breakfast and dinner but Lunch has sucked bc I dont eat much during the day, I am finding it challenging to bring food for lunch when my work caters food in everyday. So I usually just eat a pretty barren salad and some almonds and a piece of fruit. Not enough protein i know. So maybe i need to eat MORE than I am eating, but i feel like im eating too much fat. I know everything says that you NEED to do the fat thing, so im going to keep this up and try to use the meal guideline portion sizes more. But Im not a very big person and Im worried those guidelines need to be scaled down for me and i certainly dont want to gain weight on this plan. Also having tummy troubles (lots of acid reflux at night) and insomnia so not sure what is up.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, AmyRosina said:

Day 9- wow I cant believe i have stuck to it. But, my body doesnt feel like I have. I feel fatter (scale is buried in the closet so I wont check). I feel like ive been eating wonderfully and i have enjoyed breakfast and dinner but Lunch has sucked bc I dont eat much during the day, I am finding it challenging to bring food for lunch when my work caters food in everyday. So I usually just eat a pretty barren salad and some almonds and a piece of fruit. Not enough protein i know. So maybe i need to eat MORE than I am eating, but i feel like im eating too much fat. I know everything says that you NEED to do the fat thing, so im going to keep this up and try to use the meal guideline portion sizes more. But Im not a very big person and Im worried those guidelines need to be scaled down for me and i certainly dont want to gain weight on this plan. Also having tummy troubles (lots of acid reflux at night) and insomnia so not sure what is up.

You're right in the time when people are most likely to feel bloated and most likely to quit, hang in there.

You do need to be sure you eat enough. The template is based on the size of your own hand, and if you're a small person, your hand should be small, so automatically, you've got some portion control there.  As far as the acid reflux and insomnia, if you want to post over in the Troubleshooting section and list what you've eaten for a couple of days, including specific vegetables and approximate portion sizes, as well as approximately how much water you drink and any exercise, if you exercise, we can take a look and see if anything stands out that might be causing problems.

As for the catered lunches, if it's that you don't see the point in bringing in food that you buy, when there's free food right there for you, remember that eating unhealthy food will ultimately cost you in the long run in health issues and medicines and doctor visits, so even though it seems like a good deal, it's not necessarily. If there's some compliant stuff that they always bring that you can count on, you could just bring part of a meal to make up whatever you can't get from them -- so if they have salad vegetables, but no compliant protein or salad dressing, bring the protein and salad dressing. Or if you get tired of salads, it's worth bringing food you like -- this shouldn't feel like punishment, you should be eating good food that is also good for you.

Day 10 - I woke up today feeling awesome.  I woke when it was still dark after only about 6 hours of sleep but I was ready to head out for an AM walk.  This is the energy I was looking for on this program!   I felt so good I started to get ahead of myself and imagining a WholeLife rather than Whole30, although I do miss dairy.  I'll admit  that I'm not exactly the most obedient person so I didn't have a compliant dinner last night.  I worked late and had some cashews around 6 and then when I was at home prepping tonight's dinner, I cooked and ate a plaintain that needed to be consumed.  I purposely used a lot of oil but didn't feel like any of the protein options on hand.  I love how I feel today so I want to maintain this though and I will endeavor to be more on plan today.  

But one question - I noticed that my balsamic vinegar listed sulfites on the label.  Does that technically mean I have to start counting over before I can reintroduce dairy?

49 minutes ago, marolujo said:

But one question - I noticed that my balsamic vinegar listed sulfites on the label.  Does that technically mean I have to start counting over before I can reintroduce dairy?

Balsamic vinegar has naturally occurring sulfites so no... (: 

• Administrators
51 minutes ago, marolujo said:

1 minute ago, Tabithabea said:

Balsamic vinegar has naturally occurring sulfites so no... (: 

Errrr....depends. If the sulfites are listed in the ingredients list, then they are added to the product and this would not be compliant. If the label says "contains sulfites" or "naturally occurring sulfites" anywhere else on the label besides the ingredients list then it would be fine.

15 hours ago, AmyRosina said:

I used to work in a place that catered lunch every day.  I brought in my own lunches for a while and only some people thought I was nuts.  But what I kept saying to them (and myself) was I am trying to eat healthier because aside from the salad bar, there aren't many good options. Most people had no clue I was doing it or people I sat with wish they had what I had. If you are already buying groceries for the program, you may as well bring in your own lunch because salad gets boring real fast (and it is super hard on your digestive system)

I agree with Gypsyhorsefan that there is way too much sugar in nearly everything.  It's frustrating trying to get snacks for my kids.  Good luck and good health to you.

Pizza and brownies don't sound appealing at all, but I'm with you Alicia C on the hard-to-manage generous protein amounts, so am probably eating less protein than I need, although mostly I feel like I'm getting a palm-sized amount and fortunately have small hands.  I wish I had your energy, AmyR!  Right now I feel as though I could happily sleep for the next 20 days.  Yesterday I had a day off and was trying to do some simple computer work but was so tired my brain could not handle a basic math problem.  I took a nap, tried again, and then took another nap!!  I usually don't nap at all so this is odd.  At that point I realized I did not have a morning coffee.  I don't want caffeine to be my underlying energy source!

Today I had to fast for bloodwork, but hopefully I can get back on track and get through these next few days to find my energy.  

Have a great day!

Archived