Start Date August 1, 2016

Alicia C

Good Morning all - Day 4 is here.  I am still feeling a bit fuzzy and my energy level is definitely down - but I'm focused on my goals here.  Did anyone else do the self evaluation and set goals?  If not you should and make sure to look at them every day.  I actually track my goals in my daily to do journal so I have a visual of how I am doing.

Let's all have a great day.

Good Morning to All!  It's my Day 4 too and I feel the same way.  My mind is a bit fuzzy and my energy levels are definitely down.  The good news is that I'm going to sleep earlier and I feel that my sleep quality is starting to improve.  I did the self evaluation and wrote down some goals.  Feeling good that I have a lunch prepared so I don't have to worry about what my next meal will be and some light cooking tonight.  Good luck to everyone! 

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also started on Aug. 1st. This is my second try - I did my first try in June, and I made it all the way to day 20 before I got blindsided by a wrong food order at work with absolutely nothing as an emergency backup (we were at a retreat, I'd ordered what I hoped was diet-compliant, and basically got the exact opposite of what I ordered!) Since it was an all-day retreat, outside, I hadn't thought to bring something just in case (with no way to keep anything cold or microwave anything).

Needless to say it was VERY disappointing and a learning experience! I won't let that happen this time - even if my emergency food is a pack of almonds and some jerky! ;)

I'm only on day 4 but so far my problem has been resisting snacking. I'm not sure why the first time I found it easy to not snack, but this time I see to want to MUNCH all day long. I'm not even hungry. It's that darn sugar dragon! Doing my best to battle it, but it's HARD.

• Moderators

I'm only on day 4 but so far my problem has been resisting snacking. I'm not sure why the first time I found it easy to not snack, but this time I see to want to MUNCH all day long. I'm not even hungry. It's that darn sugar dragon! Doing my best to battle it, but it's HARD.

Be sure your meals are big enough and that you're adding fat to your meals, in addition to what you cook in -- a lot of people unintentionally limit fat because they come from a background of limiting fat and calories, but healthy fats will really help with the cravings and wanting to eat all the time.

Day 1 for me. Had to run out to the store for the millionth time because I bought some non compliant bacon. Found the correct bacon (just meat and spices, no nitrates) and bought that.

I am actually feeling really good. I started Paleo 3 days ago and then found this program. So I'm on day 3 without any grains or soda. I'm a soda and breadaholic, those are my biggest vices. Oh, and rice. And pasta. AND AND AND AND AND.

I can do this, though! I know I need to change. I'm morbidly obese (280 lbs at 5'4") and I just keep gaining weight. I also have hypertension. And mental illness. Hoping that a lot of this will improve.

I wouldn't say I have a mental illness.... But prior to starting I had a whole lot of social anxiety. I'm only on day 4 and I can already tell the difference.... My mood in general is a whole lot better already. Minus today today my head hurts haha.

Day 1 for me. Had to run out to the store for the millionth time because I bought some non compliant bacon. Found the correct bacon (just meat and spices, no nitrates) and bought that.

I am actually feeling really good. I started Paleo 3 days ago and then found this program. So I'm on day 3 without any grains or soda. I'm a soda and breadaholic, those are my biggest vices. Oh, and rice. And pasta. AND AND AND AND AND.

I can do this, though! I know I need to change. I'm morbidly obese (280 lbs at 5'4") and I just keep gaining weight. I also have hypertension. And mental illness. Hoping that a lot of this will improve.

I wouldn't say I have a mental illness.... But prior to starting I had a whole lot of social anxiety. I'm only on day 4 and I can already tell the difference.... My mood in general is a whole lot better already. Minus today today my head hurts haha.

Don't forget to add fat at all your meals -- it will really help you to not be hungry between meals.

I do! I just bought some avocados from the public market today and I'm going to try to incorporate those (I'm not a huge fan but I've slowly weened my way into liking things before). But I bought some ghee and I've been using a lot of that.

Day 4 and Im feeling motivated! I made a delicious chicken veg curry last night and then roasted a chicken to have for tonight. Since so far the big thing ive noticed is big swings in either feeling starving or feeling yucky blah about the food is to use a burst of happy-food-excited energy to cook and then having something ready for the time that I dont feel like thinking about it at all. No more turning to diet cokes and string cheese!

Okay - my mood worsened since this morning.  I am definitely not feeling very charitable or nice right now.  I feel hungry, but I don't have a craving for anything in particular.  But I am looking forward to my steak tonight - so I am ready to tackle Day 5.

Hey all! I could use some advise. I'm leaving to go camping tomorrow, I have a great meal plan and already have all of my supplies.... the only thing that I'm a little nervous about is hiking.. on saturday we are doing an all day hiking event. So that means I have to pack lunch in my back pack... I bought two epic jerky bars at the store (my boyfriend is doing whole30 too and is hiking with me) and I was planning on packing some cut up raw veggies as well, my only thing is fat. I'm just not really sure what would be a good fat source that would be easy to pack for hiking. Also I was thinking that maybe we might have to have a snack or two while we are hiking as I plan on being gone for the majority of the day (returning to camp just before dusk for a late dinner)Thanks a ton everyone!

As for my day four, it was kind of a struggle. Due to circumstances out of my control I didn't get breakfast.... ): I know I know it is the most important meal of the day, trust me I wasn't to excited that I had to miss it... the good news is my thrive box came with a box of emergency larabars and I had one of those for what i guess you would call a really late breakfast. But I've had a headache almost all day and I think that it's a combination of skipping breakfast and not getting quite enough water (I was running around all day) over all though I am noticing huge differences already! I don't crash on the couch after work too dead to move, I've been able to stay up later (I had a real problem with fatigue before). I can hold conversations a lot better with people. I'm so excited for the way I feel and I'm so proud that I've made it this far and stayed this motivated! 

We've got this everyone!!

I don't think it is really food or hunger, more habit and attachments. 

Yes... that probably describes 99% of us... I'm not planning to lose weight, but I have some very bad habits and attachments I need to address!  Hang in there!

For those who can't relax without a glass of wine, try a few moments of quiet or meditation. This does not require anything except shutting down for a few minutes. After my Whole30 last September I gave up wine completely. I tried to re-introduce it at some point last fall and I could not finish one glass. The acid reflux kicked in almost immediately. 

Some encouragement-remember the choice you made to try this plan. It will change your relationship with food, how you eat, how you feel...this coming from one who rewards herself with horrible food choices during stressful periods. This is why I am back to this plan. I have to overcome my stressors a different way. 

Thanks kplake... great suggestion about meditating instead of drinking wine, and there is hope that I can give up wine completely.  Also good point about remembering our choice... it's only 30 days after all.

...I already find myself doing "non-recommended" things...

I need support and will give it to others as well!!!

Good for being aware of what you should not be doing even if foods are ok... it's all part of this process.  Good luck and thanks for the support! 

Did anyone else do the self evaluation and set goals?  If not you should and make sure to look at them every day.  I actually track my goals in my daily to do journal so I have a visual of how I am doing.

Let's all have a great day.

Excellent idea of looking at a daily journal... I have some goals but haven't done the self-evaluation... will do that tonight.  Thanks Alicia C for your positive outlook!  

My munching desire starts any time I wander into the kitchen when it's not mealtime, sometimes not even needing to be there for any reason.  Or resisting a tiny bite of cheese when I'm making something for the kids (I need to put them on this plan).  My husband had a bag of corn tortillas out on the counter for 4 days, so I finally shoved it up in the cupboard instead of opening it and grabbing a chip mindlessly.  Being mindful... maybe that's my theme here - about all areas of my life, not just eating.

I was really tired last night and went to bed so early, thinking I'd get up early and get some things done, but I slept over 9 hours!  That's so long for me, but maybe I needed it.  I decided to go really easy on myself and try to listen to what my body needs.  I haven't done a good job at listening to it lately.

Made it to the end of Day 4. I slept a lot better than normal the evening of Day 3 but still haven't found the blistering energy levels I'm hoping for. I went to a spin class for half an hour at lunch time and it nearly killed me! My stomach felt a bit unhappy during the day but seems to have settled down tonight.

I also managed to survive an event this evening that had bagels EVERYWHERE

Somehow I am remaining compliant without having gone to get groceries since last Thursday or Friday...still can't wait to get new proteins when I go to re-stock. 

My energy level is zapped today but I think it is the heat. I don't remember last time when it changed or if it did. I have been incorporating daily walks but just can't get going today. I like to do 30 days of something else along with my Whole30 eating plan. 

Hey all! I could use some advise. I'm leaving to go camping tomorrow, I have a great meal plan and already have all of my supplies.... the only thing that I'm a little nervous about is hiking.. on saturday we are doing an all day hiking event. So that means I have to pack lunch in my back pack... I bought two epic jerky bars at the store (my boyfriend is doing whole30 too and is hiking with me) and I was planning on packing some cut up raw veggies as well, my only thing is fat. I'm just not really sure what would be a good fat source that would be easy to pack for hiking. Also I was thinking that maybe we might have to have a snack or two while we are hiking as I plan on being gone for the majority of the day (returning to camp just before dusk for a late dinner)Thanks a ton everyone!

How about packing some nuts.  Those are always my go to when I am traveling or out for the day - I always have some almonds with me.  The other option is olives and you can try a little dried fruit to go with the nuts.

Good Morning All - Day 5 is upon us and its a Friday.  The email I received this am from Whole30 talked about weekend/party challenges.  FYI - I read this every morning - it gives me a boost and reminder.

Have a great day.

Hey everyone!! We are at day 5! I am feeling really good! The first few night I had a headache but that was just the sugar detox. I am really enjoying each meal and I am not even missing the other stuff! I took the kids to a theme park and afterwards I always get them pizza which I still did but I skipped the pizza and came home to a delicious spinach, tomato, avocado and grilled chicken salad! It was so good and I was fine not eating the pizza!

This weekend will be hard since I am a wedding photographer and I have two weddings. We usually go all day with not a lot to eat and then eat at dinner. SO I am packing my lunch for both weddings. Wish me luck! Good luck to all of you. You got this!

Thanks for the tip guys. My silly brain forgot that almonds are a fat. Good thing I have a huge jar of them. I did order some compliant dried fruit and stuff too. (:

Ugh morning 5 has been the hardes and I even got to sleep in! I feel tired and sore all over, though I don't know why. Maybe I just slept too much, hopefully I'll start to feel better as the day goes on because it's gonna be a busy one!

day 5 has been tricky so far, mostly mood-wise. day 4 was very hard for me. terrible headache, sinus issues, sneezing and runny nose. not sure if its W30 related or some sort of allergy (which would be unusual for me). feeling a little better today, just moody like I said. hope to feel really good soon. I'm enjoying all my food though, which is good. the only think I'm craving is my soy iced latte (black is just not the same), but other than that not dying for my old food. we'll see how the rest of day 5 goes. best of luck all!

day 5 has been tricky so far, mostly mood-wise. day 4 was very hard for me. terrible headache, sinus issues, sneezing and runny nose. not sure if its W30 related or some sort of allergy (which would be unusual for me). feeling a little better today, just moody like I said. hope to feel really good soon. I'm enjoying all my food though, which is good. the only think I'm craving is my soy iced latte (black is just not the same), but other than that not dying for my old food. we'll see how the rest of day 5 goes. best of luck all!

I agree - this has been my worst day - headache this morning and after lunch wanted a nap - meditated for 18 minutes instead which helped a lot.  Just closed my office door, turned out the light and went to my Buddify app.

I'm so proud of myself guys! I made chocolate chip cookies for my family last night and didn't eat one!! I got cranky for a minute because I couldn't have one, but once I realized that I could choose to not eat it even though it was there, I felt so much better!! The Whole 30 Daily is also making a huge difference for me! Knowing that 1. I'd have to start all over and 2. I have that accountability to click the "I made it through today!" button makes this so much easier! And I feel great too! Keep going guys, we're already almost 20% done!!

I'm so proud of myself guys! I made chocolate chip cookies for my family last night and didn't eat one!! I got cranky for a minute because I couldn't have one, but once I realized that I could choose to not eat it even though it was there, I felt so much better!! The Whole 30 Daily is also making a huge difference for me! Knowing that 1. I'd have to start all over and 2. I have that accountability to click the "I made it through today!" button makes this so much easier! And I feel great too! Keep going guys, we're already almost 20% done!!

How did I not know about Whole30 Daily before today?! Just signed up, but they start my emails as if tomorrow is my day one. hmmm.

How did I not know about Whole30 Daily before today?! Just signed up, but they start my emails as if tomorrow is my day one. hmmm.

If you email customer service and explain, they should send you the first five and get you on track. They did it for me during my first whole30

Good Morning everyone.  I am so glad that I am on this forum - I read it everyday and it really provides me with inspiration.  Day 6 is here and we have almost made it one week.  Just finished my meal planning for the week (promised myself I would do better planning this week) and since it is suppose to be stormy here in the Northeast I will be doing my food shopping early and then prepping for the week.  I am looking forward to trying the sauces and dressings in the Whole30 book I picked up.  Taking the Vitamin out today.

To all  - enjoy the weekend.

Archived