Start Date August 1, 2016

Alicia C

Hi! I've been lurking since the beginning but wanted to introduce myself. This thread has been really encouraging to me. I held on to the Whole 30 book for a year and a half until I last minute decided to start in August. (The type A in me really liked that Monday was the 1st and no vacations planned). Sticking to this has been easier than I thought. I'm able to eat only 3 meals a day which is a total change from before where I was snacking all day long. Every day I tell myself, 2 more meals to go, 1 more, and then the day is over!

I have been struggling with the added fat. Avocados are getting bleh for me now and olives only go with so many things. I don't like straight mayo. Any other added fat suggestions? Do the sauces count? Or Are there better options? I'm unsure how sustainable this will be if I have to force myself to eat avocado or olives with every meal. 

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
12 minutes ago, Teach2read23 said:

I have been struggling with the added fat. Avocados are getting bleh for me now and olives only go with so many things. I don't like straight mayo. Any other added fat suggestions? Do the sauces count? Or Are there better options? I'm unsure how sustainable this will be if I have to force myself to eat avocado or olives with every meal. 

Sauces made with oils, nut or seed butters, mayo, or ghee will count as fats. Things like marinara that are mostly tomato with not as much oil aren't going to add much fat to your meal.

Don't forget coconut in any form is a fat as well -- coconut milk is good in curries or soups, coconut flakes (unsweetened and watch for sulfites) can be toasted and sprinkled over salads, vegetables, or fruit, coconut oil or coconut butter can be good on baked sweet potatoes. 

You can also choose fattier cuts of meat so you don't need to add as much fat, although you'll probably still need to add some.

If you can find a compliant version, bacon is also a fat. Not necessarily one you want every day, but it can be nice to have occasionally. 

Hey all! I am honestly feeling great! I am not missing bread or cookies or any of that stuff. My insides actually feel better. My energy is higher and I am not getting the 4pm crash. I noticed some people were sick of cooking. Planning ahead will do wonders! I cook 6 chicken breasts and cut them up and put them in my fridge and then they are ready for lunch. I make a huge  salad a couple of times a week then I store the rest in the fridge. I have all my veggies cut up for the week too. I have had our niece and nephews here for the week and including my kids that is 6 kids. I have been able to stay on track all week. 

I did have a little bloating a couple of days ago but that went away. The swelling I normally have in my legs has been gone,  & acid reflux is gone. 

I am really enjoying this plan to me it has been easier the other diets I have tried before. 

1 hour ago, Teach2read23 said:

last minute decided to start in August. (The type A in me really liked that Monday was the 1st and no vacations planned). 

I have been struggling with the added fat. 

Welcome, Teach2read23!  I totally get it... part of the reason I really HAVE to get through this month is because the 1st was on a Monday (and won't be again for awhile) and that aligns with my obsessive personality, haha!

When I'm short on fat for the meal I eat this coconut butter straight out of the jar; it's kind of a treat for me.  Locally it's $12/jar, but I scored when it was discounted to $7/jar, so I stocked up!

Coconut butter

Day 12 - yesterday and today I definitely noticed a bit more energy and a spring in my step.  Cravings aren't too bad (except I still want a Grilled Cheese Sandwich).  I have been successful in passing up the homemade cupcakes brought in this week, as well a basket of snacks that appeared this morning.  My husband is still doing this with me - a little worried about him today as he just told me he went on a hike and didn't have lunch and now it is after 4 pm and he's just having lunch now.  Oh yes, I gave him an RXBar especially for days like today.  I am so proud of him that he has stuck with this as he was drinking about 8 cans of diet soda a day, not to mention all of the splenda he would dump in his coffee.

No challenges this weekend - my big challenge will be business trip on the 23rd/24th (day 23 and day 24 of the Whole30) where I will be in a conference setting with meals provided by the conference and since I'm flying I'm limited somewhat on what I bring with me.  As I get closer to the trip I will be looking for some thoughts and ideas - have the RXBars, can take nuts and buy fruit, so I have some things figured out.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, Christine_ said:

coconut butter straight out of the jar; it's kind of a treat for me.  Locally it's $12/jar, but I scored when it was discounted to $7/jar, so I stocked up!

Beware of this, Christine. It's fine if you are using it to add fat to a meal but be very careful about eating it straight out of the jar as a treat. It could very quickly get out of control as coconut butter is SO sweet....and you're acknowledging that it's a bit of a treat. Treats are good.....but not what the 30 days is about. ;) 

1 hour ago, Christine_ said:

Welcome, Teach2read23!  I totally get it... part of the reason I really HAVE to get through this month is because the 1st was on a Monday (and won't be again for awhile) and that aligns with my obsessive personality, haha!

When I'm short on fat for the meal I eat this coconut butter straight out of the jar; it's kind of a treat for me.  Locally it's $12/jar, but I scored when it was discounted to $7/jar, so I stocked up!

Coconut butter

Haha! Great minds think alike. I'll look into the coconut butter and will be mindful of not using it as a treat!

Hello,

My first day was Aug 8th and so far (I'm at day 5) its been WAY easier than I anticipated. I've been waiting for the 'boom', sugar cravings, but so far so good. The preparation and cooking is a lot but its teaching me SO much about clean eating, that I thought I already knew. I have been yo-yo dieting my whole life and have a terrible relationship with food, so this diet is everything I have needed for a long time. I am excited, hopeful but a little terrified I am going to mess it up. All mental torcher, hopefully this will help me have more of a healthy thought process towards eating and food. My biggest struggle is thinking I am eating a lot of calories, I have been counting what seems like forever. Which never worked for me because I would crash and burn on the weekends and undue all my weekly progress. I live the strictness of this program, its best for me as I am all or nothing. Anyway blabbing on lol. I am excited to be apart of this program and cant wait to see what this kind of eating does for me!! Good luck everyone!!

1 hour ago, Rhiannon_79 said:

Hello,

My first day was Aug 8th and so far (I'm at day 5) its been WAY easier than I anticipated. I've been waiting for the 'boom', sugar cravings, but so far so good. The preparation and cooking is a lot but its teaching me SO much about clean eating, that I thought I already knew. I have been yo-yo dieting my whole life and have a terrible relationship with food, so this diet is everything I have needed for a long time. I am excited, hopeful but a little terrified I am going to mess it up. All mental torcher, hopefully this will help me have more of a healthy thought process towards eating and food. My biggest struggle is thinking I am eating a lot of calories, I have been counting what seems like forever. Which never worked for me because I would crash and burn on the weekends and undue all my weekly progress. I live the strictness of this program, its best for me as I am all or nothing. Anyway blabbing on lol. I am excited to be apart of this program and cant wait to see what this kind of eating does for me!! Good luck everyone!!

You sound like me! I actually enjoy not counting calories on this program! I can now enjoy my food without worrying!

On 12/08/2016 at 5:52 PM, Christine_ said:

Yesterday I was feeling really discouraged because I was super tired again even after getting lots of sleep at night… but I had not had a morning coffee (I felt like making coffee, blending it, and doing all the related dishes were taking up way too much time).  I didn’t exactly eat to template for dinner but had a good breakfast and lunch, although I did get hungry surprisingly soon after lunch... which also could have been PMS/hormones.  I like the freedom of just eating and not measuring or paying much attention as long as the template is there (and then forgetting all about it and not obsessing), but apparently I need to add more food, and I’m guessing I’m not getting enough protein.  If I’m eating a little less protein and then a little more fat to make up the calories, is this going to be a problem?  Today I woke up really refreshed and earlier than I have been, so maybe my timeline is just off… or it may be that I’m still fighting the bad cold my family has and that I needed the extra sleep to ward it off?  At any rate, I was glad to waste my time making coffee today.  I would like to try cutting caffeine, but I’m going to wait another week to see how I’m feeling otherwise.

It's difficult to say without seeing your meals. How does the protein look in relation to the size of your palm? How much fat are you adding? How much veg? The template is a range so your idea of a template meal and mine might be wildly different. The protein gives the staying, the fat provides the energy, and the veg provide the bulk & fibre. If you're struggling to add more to your meals, but still not lasting that 4-5hrs then fat is probably the easiest way to last a bit longer without adding more bulk. That said the one plamof protein should be the absolute minimum in each meal.

I have to share this story with you guys! So last night on my way home from work, I stopped and did my grocery shopping at Aldi - I can usually find the majority of what I need there, then fill in the gaps at Publix and Whole Foods. Anyways, I made Nom Nom Paleo's Spicy Tuna Cakes last week and ate them for breakfast all week, and was really digging them, so I decided to make them again this week. So I picked up four cans of chunk light tuna in oil at Aldi, which was different from the week before - I bought light tuna in water. When I got home, I read the label, and was horrified to see the tuna was packed in SOYBEAN OIL!! Ugh! So I picked up some tuna packed in olive oil (and no nasty sneaky ingredients) at Publix, but I was FREAKING OUT because I was second-guessing the tuna I had bought and eaten all this past week - I thought I was going to have to start back at Day 1. Well I just googled it, and the tuna in water only contains tuna, water, vegetable broth, and salt. PRAISE JESUS!!! Still at Day 13 WOOHOO!!! Moral of the story: ALWAYS CHECK YOUR LABELS!!! I should've known better, this is my third time around!

I feel like quitting! I feel like I'm bigger than when I started, nothing sounds good, my kiddos are stressing me out, I'm not seeing ANY results, and there is a huge tub of icecream in freezer! I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere with this! I'm so frustrated! 

1 hour ago, Elizabeth3 said:

I feel like quitting! I feel like I'm bigger than when I started, nothing sounds good, my kiddos are stressing me out, I'm not seeing ANY results, and there is a huge tub of icecream in freezer! I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere with this! I'm so frustrated! 

Don't give up, you owe it to yourself to see the 30 days through! Everyone's timeline is a little different, it may take a few extra days before you really start seeing some changes. Have you have any nonscale victories? Even small ones are something!

i know how it is when nothing sounds good, or when you get really burned out on meal prep. All I can say is, keep it really simple. And you've got all of us here for support, we want you to succeed! 

I am checking in. Haven't for a few days. My personal life is crap right now. Has nothing to do with Whole30-it's just a lot of things happening at once that are overwhelming and emotionally draining. Trying to deal with drama that is not mine but right under my nose. I have decided to make some major changes instead of just waiting for the right time. With my focus being everywhere else it is easy to stay on track with this plan. It has leveled out my moods and given me the energy to focus on me and my plans and not what I am putting in my mouth. And more importantly, I am not abusing myself with emotionally charged eating. Ice cream will not make me feel better about my crappy life right now! Cookies do not understand me any more than I understand myself! 

Sure a martini might keep me from crying instead of grinning and bearing it but that craving will pass, too. 

If I can do this right now, can't you? 

I'm still on board! Day 13 nearly complete! Having a break from compulsively eating sugar and processed carbs is such a relief.  My mood is more even, joint pain so improved, and my thoughts are not bombarded with what my next fix will be (ie. turtle sundae). This feels like a glimpse of food freedom, something that I have been chasing for a very long time.  Don't get me wrong, my confidence in my ability to continue this break from compulsive eating beyond the thirty days is shakey.  I am committed to giving it my best effort.  Reading your posts and knowing that I am not alone in this is such encouragement! Let's do this!!

Hi All. I thought I was being good last night by only eating tandoori chicken when my family ordered in from my favorite restaurant and eating broccoli from the fridge and then I remembered this am that tandoori chicken is marinated in a yogurt base. So I'm back to day 1. I intend to think of it more like Whole45 to prevent myself from eating all manner of things like the leftovers from the restaurant or the applesauce muffins I made for the kids and their friends yesterday or the choc chip cookies that I already easily avoided yesterday. Really disappointed that I slipped up when I could have just made my own food and eaten that. A lesson in planning better. 

Elizabeth3, just stay with us a little longer, you've done so well so far! What would it take to convince you to go the rest of the 30 days?  Did you have some original goals, and have you gone through those again?  When does school start.. will that help with kid stress part of the equation? :) 

Marolujo, I'm so sorry the dairy got into your food, what a bummer! Good idea to think of having an "extension" at the end, because continuing on the plan will be much more beneficial than eating all that other stuff and picking a new Day 1.  Stay with us!

kplake, I'm sorry to hear about the draining circumstances going on in your life right now, and I'm sure the good food choices are actually giving you stability emotionally to help you better deal with all the stuff.  So great job for staying with it, and thanks for the encouragement, because yes, if you can do it through all this, then yes, we can too!

Kannk, glad to hear you are hanging in there.  I think you will gain more "food confidence" in the next half of this.... hurray, we are almost to the top of the hill!  All coasting after that...

Great job to everyone!  On Friday night I was getting a few groceries, and the lady in front of me had a bottle of wine.  It made me pause for a moment because buying a bottle of wine on a Friday night would be such a natural thing for me to do, but I just let the thought go by.  Then yesterday I needed veggies, and as I was checking out I noticed ALL I had in my cart was veggies plus some bananas.  The cashier noticed also and commented, "This is happy food!"  So right.  I came home and made a huge batch of Thai red curry veggies for the next few days... delicious!!! 

I survived all the temptation of my Dad's birthday party this weekend. It's always full of alcohol; my mum's AMAZING chocolate brownies and hot dogs. I managed to avoid all of it. Just had steak from the BBQ with loads of salad. I felt much better than all the other years where I couldn't sleep due to all the sugar 

17 hours ago, AbbyQ17 said:

Don't give up, you owe it to yourself to see the 30 days through! Everyone's timeline is a little different, it may take a few extra days before you really start seeing some changes. Have you have any nonscale victories? Even small ones are something!

i know how it is when nothing sounds good, or when you get really burned out on meal prep. All I can say is, keep it really simple. And you've got all of us here for support, we want you to succeed! 

Thank you so much Abby and Christine! I promised myself I wouldn't eat bad until someone responded! That was exactly what I needed to hear! I don't have any non-scale victories at the moment I just feel much larger than I was even before I started. Does anyone know why this could be happening?  I was fairly thin before I started, but was eating poorly every single day. I was hoping the whole 30 would get me back on track, and help me to lose a few pounds as well. Everything feels bigger based on my clothes, and I'm really discouraged about it. This is the healthiest I've ever eaten in my life shouldn't I be feeling better? I haven't cheated yet, I'm going to give it the full 30 days but still so frustrated! It makes me want to go back to eating sugar after all I felt much smaller! 

Good for you, ebagshaw!  Awesome work avoiding all those temptations, and glad to hear you were rewarded by feeling better! 

Elizabeth, could it be bloating making you feel bigger, or do you think you are really gaining weight?  I went from feeling good yesterday to feeling bloated and my stomach big by nighttime, but that's all been a part of what I am figuring out...certain foods, even healthy ones (but typically high FODMAP) will make me blow up.  If you are small to start with then maybe your portions should be a bit smaller but enough to keep you from being hungry... but I'm no expert here... maybe moderators have suggestions.  At any rate, keep going with us and let us know what's happening.

1 hour ago, Elizabeth3 said:

Thank you so much Abby and Christine! I promised myself I wouldn't eat bad until someone responded! That was exactly what I needed to hear! I don't have any non-scale victories at the moment I just feel much larger than I was even before I started. Does anyone know why this could be happening?  I was fairly thin before I started, but was eating poorly every single day. I was hoping the whole 30 would get me back on track, and help me to lose a few pounds as well. Everything feels bigger based on my clothes, and I'm really discouraged about it. This is the healthiest I've ever eaten in my life shouldn't I be feeling better? I haven't cheated yet, I'm going to give it the full 30 days but still so frustrated! It makes me want to go back to eating sugar after all I felt much smaller! 

Elizabeth3 ... could it be that time of the month? I always end up feeling bloated and "big" that week. Could it be just the timing of that vis a vis when you started the Whole30??

24 minutes ago, repartee said:

Elizabeth3 ... could it be that time of the month? I always end up feeling bloated and "big" that week. Could it be just the timing of that vis a vis when you started the Whole30??

Repartee that's a possibility. I have PCOS so my periods are never really regular to begin with. I just feel like since I've started whole 30I'm getting progressively bigger! It might be bloat and i did read some people experience that until day 20, but I just don't understand how eating so healthy for two weeks makes me feel so bad! 

5 hours ago, Christine_ said:

Good for you, ebagshaw!  Awesome work avoiding all those temptations, and glad to hear you were rewarded by feeling better! 

Elizabeth, could it be bloating making you feel bigger, or do you think you are really gaining weight?  I went from feeling good yesterday to feeling bloated and my stomach big by nighttime, but that's all been a part of what I am figuring out...certain foods, even healthy ones (but typically high FODMAP) will make me blow up.  If you are small to start with then maybe your portions should be a bit smaller but enough to keep you from being hungry... but I'm no expert here... maybe moderators have suggestions.  At any rate, keep going with us and let us know what's happening.

Thank you so much Christine. I'll try the smaller portions. I cut down on some of the days and proteins today. I think it MAY be bloat because it's o my in my stomach area. It just feels awful. I'll stick with it a little longer! I'm hoping to maybe see a change come week three! Thanks so much for the encouragement! 

Archived