1st August start - group

lovemypaperhouse

Well today was definitely not in the spirit of Whole30 even if I did stick to only allowed foods - woke up late then was so busy running around all day that I didn't eat anything at all until after 6pm.  Starting to get a bit of a headache now, but it may be due to not drinking much water/jetlag/lack of sleep.  Tomorrow I start training for a new job and I made big batches of whole30 ok ketchup and ranch dressing, I have cooked ground beef in the fridge and plenty of fresh veggies, so at least tomorrow I should do better.  I do plan to bake up some approved bacon tonight to throw on my salads this week.  Also went and picked up 1/8 of a cow today so I should be set on beef for quite a while!  

Meal 1 (today's only meal, lol) was lean ground beef (I have a bunch cooked and frozen from before Whole30, might as well use it up before getting into the new stuff) topped with homemade ketchup, accompanied by a huge romaine/arugula salad with tomatoes from my garden and homemade ranch dressing (used Primal Kitchen mayo - that stuff is the shizz, I have made mayo many different times with many different kinds of oils and Primal Kitchen blows homemade out of the water - and is Whole30 approved - I ordered like 5 jars from Thrive for this month, lol), and a baked russet potato with brown butter ghee.  And now off to pick up some stuff from a friend's house and share some farm-fresh figs I bought today!

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grrr so frustrated - wanted to get some sunflower seeds to put on my salad for tomorrow's lunch so I stopped by my usual grocery store (forgot to get them at Trader Joe's earlier where I know they have just plain old sunflower seeds), the ones over in the produce section are roasted and salted, roasted in peanut oil, of course, and the ones over in the snack section have both sugar and cornstarch in them...why aren't there just plain ones???  Then, I was looking for sunflower seed butter and the two types they have both have sugar (the one at Trader Joe's earlier also had sugar in it)...why is plain such a hard concept???

I hear ya about the additional ingredients. ..like sugar...why does it have to added to perfectly good food? Puzzles, and frustrates me to no end. I made my breakfast hash and had some with an egg for breakfast, and a serving for a 3pm snack. I realize I experience real hanger around then, and by the time I get home at 5:30 I am over the top hunger-anger woman. Not pretty. The protein at 3 helps alot. I was having fruit, or nuts, but that wasn't doing it for me. I have a headache tonight, I am sure it is sugar withdrawal. Day 2 done. But I remember day 3 and 4 being a little crazy cranky time for me....so hang in there friends, we can do this!!

This is such a great group. Missed it the other times on the forum.

Day 3 started relaxed, sleeping in since this is my day of and I really need my beauty sleep :)

Had breakfast with sweet potato/carrot/bell pepper soup with left over hamburger 

I'm on track with my water intake, it helps keeping of the snacks and reduces the headache.

Just fried my vegetables for lunch. I will eat it with some eggs and bacon. Just like Monday morning.

Do some shopping and meal preparing later this day.

Hang in there everyone!

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Hi everyone!  Hope day 3 is off to a good start for those who are eating dinner while those of us in the US are asleep!

Day 2: hungry all day

M1: beef enchilada, guac, 2 very small apples

M2: breakfast casserole, coconut cream, pan fried potatoes, grapefruit

Snack: 1/2 kombucha, 2 HB eggs, blob of homemade mayo with hot sauce

Unexpected trip to L&D for potential leaking amniotic fluid

M3: grapefruit, egg roll in a bowl (cabbage, carrots, sesame oil, coconut aminos, garlic) topped with the last of kalua pork, few bites of beef casserole with a snack pack of guac, grapefruit, honey dew

Things to do better: not stress eat (hah!), let dinner sit before eating second dinner... we got home from the hospital and didn't eat until 7:30.  After a noon lunch (even with the HB egg snack) I was starving... The mostly veggie dinner didn't really make me full and I essentially ate a small second meal (a small one, but still...).  

Anyway, all food was compliant and even eating too much W30 food is WAAAAAY better than the way I had been eating :)

Goal for today is to FORCE myself to wait 15 minutes after a meal before going back for (1) fruit (2) more "meal" food.  Fill my plate.  Eat.  Wait.  Today's game plan.  

I know it's a little late (I started Monday), but I'd like to join this fabulous group! It's my first Whole30 ever in my life, and I kind of decided to do it in the wee hours of the morning on August 1st after seeing a mention of it on my friend's Instagram, so I'm running on zero prep, but I'm determined to do it.

I've suffered from periodic binge-eating for about 2 years, and as a result I've gained 10-15 pounds since 2014. I've tried to get the weight off and get my eating on track, but I keep relapsing because cravings, y'all. So I'm using this as an opportunity to reset my system in the hopes that I'll come out on the other side with a healthier body, a healthier outlook, and a healthier willpower that will stave off my binge-eating for the foreseeable future.

As I'm the only one in my family doing this, it'll be great to have some camaraderie here (even if I may not be especially contributive because I have no experience). Thanks for setting this up!

Welcome to everyone joining today and yesterday - I hope everyone is finding the group useful.

Just thought I'd share a few thoughts on the 'meal template' as a few people have mentioned missing meals/meal times...

The food template is just that, a template. It's not set in stone. If you've had to only eat one meal because of work or a flight, or if you've had 6 mini meals because you're starving and you haven't worked out the right portion sizes for you yet, don't beat yourself up. As long as the food you've eaten is Whole30 then you're doing a fantastic job. Don't look for the 'perfect Whole30', just follow the rules and try your best with the other stuff.

That said, if you're hungry between your three meals, either:

1. You need to include fat and protein with every meal to avoid hunger pangs between your next meal - don't scrimp on fat! If you're meal is filling you up when you first eat but you're still hungry an hour or two after you need to eat more at that meal. If anyone is still hungry, post your meals up and we can look at them.

2. Identify the difference between hunger and cravings. If I'm hungry and I've just eaten recently I'll drink a big glass of water and go do something then see if I'm still hungry. I think in the Whole30 it say 'could you eat fish and broccoli' if not, you're not hungry.

@kwantum - good luck eating out tomorrow! Sure you'll do well, just remember the rules and it's only for 30days! If you want it that bad you can go back next month and try it. (rephrase 'I can't have' with 'I don't want', for some reason it's easier on the willpower!)

Sarah x

The food template is just that, a template. It's not set in stone. If you've had to only eat one meal because of work or a flight, or if you've had 6 mini meals because you're starving and you haven't worked out the right portion sizes for you yet, don't beat yourself up. As long as the food you've eaten is Whole30 then you're doing a fantastic job. Don't look for the 'perfect Whole30', just follow the rules and try your best with the other stuff.

That said, if you're hungry between your three meals, either:

1. You need to include fat and protein with every meal to avoid hunger pangs between your next meal - don't scrimp on fat! If you're meal is filling you up when you first eat but you're still hungry an hour or two after you need to eat more at that meal. If anyone is still hungry, post your meals up and we can look at them.

2. Identify the difference between hunger and cravings. If I'm hungry and I've just eaten recently I'll drink a big glass of water and go do something then see if I'm still hungry. I think in the Whole30 it say 'could you eat fish and broccoli' if not, you're not hungry

Thanks for posting the above, Sarah! I might need this reminder throughout the next few weeks. After I left for work this morning, I realized I didn't have enough fat/protein with breakfast. Sure enough, I'm starving but I can make it to lunch and I'm looking at ways to add more protein/fat tomorrow. 

Happy 3rd (or 1st, 2nd, etc) day to everyone!

Stephanie

Hi everyone,

For me day 3 is almost over. The eating part is, anyway.

I had a great breakfast as I wrote earlier.

For lunch I had roasted vegs with eggs and bacon.

I love that. For me it's the easiest way to eat a lot of vegetables.

Dinner was great too, a salad of stir fried beef, with mushrooms, sugarsnaps, garlic, ginger, pepper and gauge.

The food was great, but I had a bit more problems not snacking today.

It's being home alone that does that to me. But I drank extra water and a cup of ginger lemon tea.

Meal plans for the rest of the week are worked out, groceries are done, so everything should go ok.

Enjoy the ride everyone

Karin

Day 1 went great!  Around cocktail hour, I actually poured wine for my visiting family and poured me some Topo Chico with lemon.  I think if I could continue doing that, I might make it!

The sugar part has not been bad so far, i'm halfway through Day 2.  this morning I had an egg fried in avocado oil, never tried that before.  it was good!  also had three turkey sausages that i'm not completely sure are compliant but close enough for me.

lunch was salad greens, chicken fajita meat from the dinner last night, 1/2 avocado, roma tomato, olive oil/balsamic vinegar.  very yummy.  still holding on to the apple i'll eat when I get desperate this afternoon.

walked/ran on the treadmill for 30 minutes.  if I could just do this for 28 more days!!  I can!

I had a trip planned to visit a friend on Aug 12.  well I decided to move that to Oct since I just don't think I could resist the temptation to eat southern fried foods and plenty of vino.

I love to read everyone's posts...I feel like there are several highly skilled w30 folks on here...it's helpful to read what your go-to food items are and where to get them!  thank you.

@cashnic72 sorry to be a party pooper but you need to make sure everything you have is 100% compliant. If you're not sure then don't have it.

A 'close enough' attitude can lead to bigger breaks in the rules.

I know this is a bit harsh and I don't want you to feel discouraged when you've had such a good day! How about finding out if they were complaint and if not just start day 1 tomorrow?

Sarah x

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Day 3

Anxiety over pregnancy swung me the other direction today... didn't eat really until dinner.  

Not posting meals since there really were none until dinner.  All compliant foods though.  Got some slightly reassuring news at doctor today though, so hopefully back to "normal" tomorrow!

Proud of myself for realizing that eating crappy food would not make yesterday/today's crappy situation any better.  But GOOD food might actually help it :)

Day 3 probably the most successful so far - I did have a headache last night but I also got new glasses yesterday that are a different prescription from my old ones so I think that may have caused it.  Wore my contacts today and had no headaches.  Eggs, bacon bits and raw tomatoes for breakfast this morning, then huge arugula/romaine salad with bacon bits, ranch dressing and tomatoes plus some ground beef and ketchup for lunch.  I went to Whole Foods after work where I found plain raw sunflower seeds and sunbutter without sugar, yay!  Also picked up some compliant almond milk and a rotisserie chicken.  It was so bizarre to me, both the Naked and the Herb Crusted regular chickens were compliant, but the Organic Herb Crusted had all sorts of non-compliant ingredients!  It was very strange.  It was a good deal on the chicken, though $7 for a whole chicken, which since I'm just one person will be enough for several meals plus I'll use the bones for stock.  Just found out I have Friday off, so maybe I'll finally be able to get my kitchen cleaned up (it was dirty even before Whole30 and all the cooking is not improving things) over my 3 day weekend, lol.  

Forgot to mention that dinner was some of the rotisserie chicken (after an excellent gym session - set a new personal best on my jerk - 140#), and an apple with almond butter

Where do you get your rotisserie chicken?! I cannot find any without added sugar, I've looked everywhere, it would be so handy to be able to pick one up every now and again!

I guess I should add my food, I eat two eggs with half an avocado every morning, salad with baked chicken breast, carrots, onions, tomatoes, and olives for lunch (or left over dinners) and usually just make whatever for dinner--chicken and green beans or last night pot roast with carrots onions and potatoes... Pretty normal dinners I eat even not on whole 30... But without added sugar or grains. Does anyone else eschew variety in favor of easy compliance during a while 30? I don't really mind eating basically the same meals, but I'm going to try and add more variety this time around.

Where do you get your rotisserie chicken?! I cannot find any without added sugar, I've looked everywhere, it would be so handy to be able to pick one up every now and again!

I got it from Whole Foods - see the post above my dinner one, it mentions which ones are compliant vs not

I guess I should add my food, I eat two eggs with half an avocado every morning, salad with baked chicken breast, carrots, onions, tomatoes, and olives for lunch (or left over dinners) and usually just make whatever for dinner--chicken and green beans or last night pot roast with carrots onions and potatoes... Pretty normal dinners I eat even not on whole 30... But without added sugar or grains. Does anyone else eschew variety in favor of easy compliance during a while 30? I don't really mind eating basically the same meals, but I'm going to try and add more variety this time around.

I have been so crazy busy that I definitely haven't been adventurous so far! I have a 3 day weekend this week so I am planning on doing a lot more prep work so I have options during the week - unfortunately next week where I will be working I won't have access to a microwave for lunches, so that will probably limit me somewhat - I like raw veggies so that's not a problem, but prefer my proteins hot...

Hi all, I'm jumping in on this group too! Starting my 4th Whole30 since June 2014. Nice to see such an active group here, you will greatly benefit from the support!!

I don't see a moderator on this thread yet, hopefully one will join in soon?

Day 3.  Well not feeling as good today as yesterday.  But I am not sure if that is from the diet change or the fact that my husband snored like a train most of the night.  Headache-y, short temper for sure.  I think it would be better if I got more sleep though.

This is my first Whole30.  I literally knew nothing about it until Monday when I asked a co-worker "how'd you lose all that weight?" So, I've been ramping up very quickly and trying to understand all of the rules.  I have a deadline of Sept 21...big trip with my husband to Germany.  So...I'm learning everyday that it is very important to stay compliant.  What a harsh word, makes me feel like a bad school girl to hear it.  But I definitely get that it's important and I will follow the rules.  I promise!!

This week was a tough week to start because I have family visiting.  But I'm determined to do it.  Last night made ground beef and spaghetti sauce from the whole30 recipes for me...separate jar sauce for the other 9 people i had to feed.  Put that over some spaghetti squash for me...spaghetti noodles for everyone else.  Funny thing, half the people eating preferred the spaghetti squash over the pasta I cooked for them.  

Today I had eggs with chicken breast and a banana for breakfast.  I'm now a little apprehensive to try a lot of stuff as I want to stay compliant!  So I might have to keep it very simple at least until the family leaves.  

SOOOO ready for lunch now.  I work all day so lunches will have to be leftover dinners everyday but that's ok by me.

I don't see a moderator on this thread yet, hopefully one will join in soon?

And as if by magic......... :D

lovemypaperhouse has mentioned the recommended food template I see, but I'd just comment that a few of you are skipping veg at meals - sometimes in favour of fruit, and sometimes just in favour of nothing. The food template is a recommendation, but you will get SO much more bang for your buck if you follow it - three times a day, the first within an hour of wakening (especially those who think they're not hungry in the mornings), as well as pre/postWO meals where applicable for those who exercise. Fruit should not push the veg off of you plate,and it shouldn't be eaten on it's own as a snack.

That's all for now - carry on! :ph34r:

Archived