too much protein?

Beccy Lee

Hello, I am new to this sort of diet (about 2weeks in), and after a rough first week i was starting to feel really good! Today I am feeling rather sick. I had a dream last night that I was accidentally eating icecream and awoke with a belly ache. It made me think of how I am eating a lot of meat/fish/eggs, and now I am wondering am I eating too much protein? How much is too much? I know that I am supposed to eat 1-2 palm size servings of meat per meal. I probably am eating closer to 1.5-2 palm-sized servings just so that I am not starving throughout the day. I am generally spacing out my meals across a 12 hour time span because of my job. I usually eat breakfast around 8 am and dinner around 8 pm(sometimes later), with lunch falling somewhere between 1 and 3:30. I have been also trying very hard to fill the rest of my plate with veggies. I usually do not snack between meals, but sometimes I am so famished that I eat a handful of nuts or olives. I am 5'9", female, and weigh about 145lbs. I almost always feel hungry within 2 hours of eating. I have read on other sites that one should be eating 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight per day. That is only 5.1oz or less than a third of a pound a day!! I would die of starvation!! Well, not really, but I would be soooo hungry all day long!! Can anyone give me a guideline (in grams or ounces ) of how much protein I should be eating? Or let me know if I am eating too much? Oh, and as far as workouts go, I go on a 1/2 hr walk about 5 times a week and play disc golf(burning roughly 700-900 calories over a 2-3 hr span of hiking and throwing a disc in the mountains of WV) about 2-3 times a week. Ok, sorry this post is so long. I just figured the more info i give, the better the replies might be.

Don't know enough to comment on the protein and the last thing you need is my uneducated guess :) but if you're always hungry 2 hours after a meal, have you considered upping the amount of fat in the meal. i did this and found it worked a treat.

• Moderators

You are not anywhere near eating too much protein with 1.5 to 2 palm-size portions of protein per meal. Most people do not need more protein, but eating twice as much would not hurt you.

Kirsteen is right that adding fat to your meals may be helpful. Maybe more fatty cuts of meat, some added nuts, olives, or avocado with meals, more olive oil, etc.

You might also need to add a fourth meal if you are experiencing hunger just a few hours after eating. You may not be exercising intensely, but you are active for a good amount of time and that burns calories. We recommend pre- and post-workout meals to exercisers. You need more too. And if you metabolism is fast, you may just need to eat more meals.

Thanks guys! I think i just was on the verge of my body getting used to not eating sugar, grains, etc. I feel like I have turned a corner with this whole thing. A day or two after posting this I started not feeling so hungry all of the time. I am trying to pay more attention to the amount of fat I am including in each meal. I purchased the "Well Fed" cookbook and it is amazing! The food is so good!!! I also did a weekly cookup this past weekend, so I have all kinds of great food ready to go! I am loving this diet and how I feel! Can't wait to see how much more it effects my life and livelyhood.

Thanks guys! I think i just was on the verge of my body getting used to not eating sugar, grains, etc. I feel like I have turned a corner with this whole thing. A day or two after posting this I started not feeling so hungry all of the time. I am trying to pay more attention to the amount of fat I am including in each meal. I purchased the "Well Fed" cookbook and it is amazing! The food is so good!!! I also did a weekly cookup this past weekend, so I have all kinds of great food ready to go! I am loving this diet and how I feel! Can't wait to see how much more it effects my life and livelyhood.

+1 for the Well Fed cookbook. i "borrowed" it from the Amazon Prime Lending Library on my Kindle Fire, but plan on purchasing the hard copy soon, because it's just so good. Cook ups are a must. I made the ISWF no-fuss salmon cakes the other day and TRIPLED the recipe so we'd have lots of leftovers (we also have four kids). I love the "hot plate" ideas in Well Fed. Simple and brilliant!

+1 for the Well Food cookbook. i "borrowed" it from the Amazon Prime Lending Library on my Kindle Fire, but plan on purchasing the hard copy soon, because it's just so good. Cook ups are a must. I made the ISWF no-fuss salmon cakes the other day and TRIPLED the recipe so we'd have lots of leftovers (we also have four kids). I love the "hot plate" ideas in Well Fed. Simple and brilliant!

Totally fun to own it on your Kindle too. I did order the hard copy because I want to touch it, but I love how it is so easy to look up things on a Kindle. My favorite thing is that it will say "try this cauliflower with the chocolate chili" and the page number is right there. You just have to click it to go there.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived