Confused About Fats

nicolemalena

I will be starting my first Whole30 in a few days and I've already begun planning out my first week. I'm confused about fats though. The meal plan guide says "add fat in the following recommended amounts per meal". Do I just include one of those bullet point items per meal or ALL of them? I assume it's just one but I need clarification. Thanks!

You should include at least one, but usually two. So say you've roasted some veg in EVOO, you might want to serve those with some mayo. Or if you've made a salad you might want to include avocado & olives in it, and you may even have some nuts sprinkled on there too...

It's pretty hard to go overboard on the fats.

Hope this helps :)

• 2 months later...

I wanted to add a question or two about fats. I am on day three of my first Whole30 so I'm definitely a newbie and that seems to be where i'm struggling. 

1. Last night i made some chicken strips that I fried in coconut oil. There was extra so I brought some for lunch today, which i will have with some grape tomatoes and a sweet potato on the side. I am wondering, though, if the oil that I used to fry the chicken is enough for the fats in this meal, or should I be including something else? 

2. I am making a pot roast in my crock pot along with some potatoes, onions, and carrots for dinner this evening. Is the fat in the meat considered enough or should I be including something else? If I need to include additional fats, any suggestions of what goes well with roast and vegetables? 

I appreciate any suggestions, thanks! 

generally people doing W30 don't eat enough fats.  it's always recommended to add extra.  remember any fat you fry in will mostly be left in the pan, if you're splitting a meal, then you'll get even less.  so add some olives, or a big dollop of mayonaise on top - or both, or a salad dressing, or olive oil, or coconut oil.  if it's salad, add a small fist of nuts, or 1/2 an avocado too.  If you're eating bacon, then that's considered a fat for the purposes of W30.

4 hours ago, janasue81 said:

I am making a pot roast in my crock pot along with some potatoes, onions, and carrots for dinner this evening. Is the fat in the meat considered enough or should I be including something else? If I need to include additional fats, any suggestions of what goes well with roast and vegetables? 

I would add ghee to the veggies. I also like to make a dijon mayo dip for roast (add mustard to the mayo to your taste), just make sure the mustard is compliant. I try to find fancy mustards to try, there are quite a few that are compliant.

Archived