Mayo FAIL! Losing my mind!!!

Catthegrape

HELP!!! I have made COUNTLESS batches of perfect mayo using my food processor and the recipe in the Whole30 cookbook. Never any problems. Now suddenly, I can't get it to come together to save my life. I have wasted tons of eggs and olive oil and tried several times. I thought maybe the new mustard powder I bought was the culprit, so I tried without it. I thought maybe the eggs I was using were too small so I went back to the large ones. I have started with eggs left on the counter overnight, no go. Eggs left in a cup of warm water for 5-10 minutes, no go. I. AM. LOSING. MY. MIND. This used to be so easy and fail proof. What happened!!!!!!!!!!!!

The sap in the trees is going down as it does in the Fall.  It's nature's barometer.  It's messing with your mayo. That and the humidity if it's raining where you live.  Humidity causes meringues to fall flat as they're hugely tempermental.  When the leaves are dropping off the trees you'll have to be patient with your mayo.  Wait for another week and it will be better. 

You know, when the sap is rising and falling, many older folkaronies get sick. They do. It's the time to take extra special care of everyone and everything. 

• Administrators

@Catthegrape - maybe your food processor is on the fritz, running too hot? Lots of people report that they can't use a high speed blender because they run too hot and break the emulsification. If you food processor is too hot, that could be it. You could try an immersion blender, you can usually pick one of those up for under $15 and then mayo is fail proof.

On 28 September 2016 at 4:58 PM, Catthegrape said:

HELP!!! I have made COUNTLESS batches of perfect mayo using my food processor and the recipe in the Whole30 cookbook. Never any problems. Now suddenly, I can't get it to come together to save my life. I have wasted tons of eggs and olive oil and tried several times. I thought maybe the new mustard powder I bought was the culprit, so I tried without it. I thought maybe the eggs I was using were too small so I went back to the large ones. I have started with eggs left on the counter overnight, no go. Eggs left in a cup of warm water for 5-10 minutes, no go. I. AM. LOSING. MY. MIND. This used to be so easy and fail proof. What happened!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had this happen when using an immersion blender!  I tried so many times to get it to work after it worked beautifully for so long!  However, I gave up and started buying Tessemae's mayo (which is great!) and also tried out Primal Kitchen (which has a better consistency, but doesn't taste as good).  Oh and I have three jars of avocado oil in my cupboard which are probably going to sit there forever.  :mellow:

I'd stopped making mayo as my wife was pregnant and couldn't eat the unpasteurized eggs.  Last weekend she had a misscarriage (11 weeks in), so now she can eat the mayo again, (and eat camembert, and pate, which she is chosing to do).  Yesterday I made some mayo, and it's great.  I took the egg out of the fridge in the morning but then didn't get round to making it till a lot later in the day so the egg was room temp, as was the oil.  I've got a new stick blender that I'd not used so this was it's first outing.  one egg in the jar, 1 tsp dijon mustard, 1/2 tsp salt, 300ml of lite olive oil - stick blender in, and blend, and lift, slightly.  emulsification in less than 2 minutes.  add lemon juice to taste.  works perfectly.

• Administrators
39 minutes ago, kloempke said:

I would strongly recommend the Lemonaise. It is over by the non-refrigerated vegan mayos and it is really good. Tastes like regular mayo. I tried the avocado mayo and did not like it. The Lemonaise kinda reminds me of miracle whip. Try it!

@kloempke - Sorry, but the Lemonaise would not be compliant on Whole30 due to the inclusion of canola oil. Canola oil is only approved for eating out when it is unavoidable. Not for using at home. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have had almost the exact same experience as @Catthegrape.  Previously made multiple batches of the Whole30 mayo recipe with no problems.  This morning I couldn't get it to work no matter what I tried. I gave up and went to work. I came home with new eggs and tried again and still no success.  I have read all the tips. I have done everything that was suggested and I previously had no problems but now it's not working.    My question:  Is there any validity to weather playing a factor?  Barometer, humidity etc?  At this point I am thinking it has to be something like that.  There is just no logical explanation otherwise that I can come up with.  At this point I think I will wait a few days and try again. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived