Gained weight!

MeemW

I feel so discouraged. I'm at the end of week three and have increased exercise and eaten in moderation strictly, and I was so proud that I- yes- stepped on the scale and I am up by FIVE pounds! I am 60 snd need to lose thirty pounds, so five pounds  is a lot of weight for me. I know this isn't a weight loss diet by definition, but it is such a radical change for me I was certain it would help. I have a very important work event coming up in March and feel like, in spite of it being so incredibly healthy, there is just too much fat in this diet for me to lose any weight and that I need to do some other program or I will continue to gain. But I've done soooo many diets! Anyone been here and found a solution ? Thanks 

1. Don't "eat in moderation strictly" but follow the template, including healthy fats at each meal and the recommended amounts of protein and vegetables and water.
  2. Healthy fats won't make you fat. They will help fuel your activities and keep you satisfied between meals.
  3. Don't give away your power to a meaningless number on a scale. Focus on how you feel.
  4. If--big if--you NEED to lose weight and if--big if--you focus on nourishing yourself and maintaining a healthy level of activity, you will lose weight. Slowly.
  5. The Whole30 is 30 days, not 21 days. There's a reason weighing is against the rules. Don't weigh during your Whole30!

One important thing I'd add here is that if you've come from a background of restricting calories then it can take your body some time to adjust to the switch to healthier foods and it may hold on to some of it for fear of a future famine as a kind of survival tactic. Once your body realizes that this is not just another 'diet' and that the healthy food will be a regular thing it will first prioritize any necessary healing. Then, when your body finds itself in a happy place, it may shed weight if there is weight to lose.

For many folk coming from a background of calorie restriction or yo-yo dieting (and those with underlying medical issues) it takes more than 30 days to reach that happy place...

The Whole 30 is a diagnostic tool. It wasn't created as a "diet" per se and because many talk about the "side effects of weight loss" on Day 31,  that can be confusing. We don't post our weight or get on the scale for 30 days, but on day 31, we get on the scale, post measurements and weight loss.

So I made a choice not to do that. I followed the wisdom of Tom Denham, who has written many great posts how to go about finding weight stability and your equilibrium with food. Read through every positive post he's written and you will find your way. In a few brief words, he tells all.  About good fats and cholesterol, everything you need to know about weight stability.  I found my solutions.  

He's a great mentor.  The best. 

I can't thank everyone enough for your feedback - it has been so, so helpful. I am going to follow all the recommendations here. I have been or off a diet for decades so my body is definitely out of whack and I do feel so much better now- my mind is clearer and my energy more  sustained. I'm letting the pressure of this gig in April run the ship and I will work on letting that go, not being so scared of fats, and I will find Tom Denham's blog.  . Thanks again, everyone. I feel I am part of a community and it makes a huge difference. 

Archived