Trader Joe's SunButter?

TallGirlBabyFace

Hello, I am starting Whole30 in a week and am trying to do as much research as I can, but the one thing I couldn't find out was if it is ok to have Sun Butter? I saw on someones youtube channel who was on their week one of Whole30 and they added sun butter and apples to a few meals. Was wonderinf if this is ok? I have included photos and nutritional info below! Thanks!

91Z2lSzTYKL._SY679_.jpg

71hyU43BwyL._SY679_.jpg

• Moderators

Sun butter with no added sugar is okay to have -- this particular one is okay. Like all nuts and seeds, should be somewhat limited -- a serving of nuts and seeds is a small closed handful, and you're better off not having it every day. It is fine to have it with an apple or other fruit with a meal occasionally.

• 1 year later...

So is Cashew Butter with sunflower oil in it okay?

I know cashew butter is to be eaten in LIMITED amounts, not by the spoonful but I'm curious about the Sunflower oil because I have read some places that seed oils are to be limited for cases where they can't be avoided so I'm wondering if that applies to this or if I should avoid? 

• Moderators
10 hours ago, ASB123 said:

So is Cashew Butter with sunflower oil in it okay?

I know cashew butter is to be eaten in LIMITED amounts, not by the spoonful but I'm curious about the Sunflower oil because I have read some places that seed oils are to be limited for cases where they can't be avoided so I'm wondering if that applies to this or if I should avoid? 

Yes, items that you eat or use to make dishes at home should not have sunflower oil in it so this would be best left for after your Whole30.

• 2 months later...

I’ve been eating TJ’s cashew butter with sunflower oil and just came across this post! Is this an “avoid it for the remainder of the 30 days” situation or a “start over” situation?

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Rania said:

I’ve been eating TJ’s cashew butter with sunflower oil and just came across this post! Is this an “avoid it for the remainder of the 30 days” situation or a “start over” situation?

That's entirely up to you - you can read the article linked below in my signature called 'Do I really need to start over' and see what you think.  You don't say what day you're on, how much of the stuff you've been eating etc...

I’m on day 5 and I’ve had a teaspoon or so full on two of the days (today being one of them). I think I’ll just power on and continue. I’m seriously considering adding another 15 to 30 days so it might not make a difference. Thanks @SugarcubeOD!

Archived