New and need coffee help!

LPHebert

Hi, I'm on day 5 of my new journey and I'm loving it so far!  It is a little challenging in a few ways, but I'm truly believing it will make a big difference in the way I feel physically.  My number one concern today is that I am a SERIOUS coffee lover. Ok, let me rephrase......I'm a SERIOUS Coffee Creamer lover, and black coffee is just gross!  I've tried drinking it black for five days now and I just cant get used to it.  Any suggestions?

Ready to Start?

"Now that you have the basic plan, you need to know how to implement it. It’s simple, actually. Start now. Today. This minute. Count out thirty days on your calendar. Plan out a week’s worth of meals, go to your local health food store, farmer’s market or grocer and stock up on things you’ll be eating. And then… go. Cold turkey, just start. Don’t put this off, not for one more day. If you give yourself excuses or reasons to delay, you may never begin. Do it now."

http://whole9life.com/2010/10/whole-30-v3/

I knew where this was but that^^ link is now missing with whole9life. 

You don't like black coffee.  Me either. I like HWCream more than the actual coffee. Others may give you the nutpods and other remedies to cure the ills of black coffee.  

My suggestion. Cold turkey, with coffee for 30 days. You don't like black coffee. Maybe nutpods will fix it.  But if nuts are notorious for digestive problems and all of the other things, then will nutpods fix it.  The gut.  

Coffee affects gut healing. It's not the caffeine but the actual coffee bean itself that affects the gut.  Try going without coffee and creamers for 30 days and see what happens.  The day I gave up coffee and cream is the day I turned my health and gut around.

Change your gut and you can change your life. 

I love coffee, the smell and the taste. I can go black. It for the days when I want something more creamy, I add a spoonful of coconut milk and give it a whirl in the blender and it's delicious.  It is like a latte.  Plus it helps me get that good fat in for breakfast! 

I love coffee too, and can't drink it black either.  I've been adding 2 tsp coconut cream to mine.  Buy a can of compliant coconut cream or milk and put it in the fridge for 24 hours.  Open the can, scoop off the solidified fat into a tuperware, dump the water from the bottom.  One can lasts me about a week.  It cuts the acidity of the coffee, which is what bothers my stomach, and gives me a source of healthy fat to boost.  Coconut milk is too thin and doesn't do it for me.

I've also found that I need to use less grounds and brew the coffee for a shorter time (I use a French Press) now that I'm not using cream.

Thank you guys so much!  First let me say, the thought of completely giving up coffee for 30 days makes me want to cry. So until I absolutely can't stand it, I'm going to keep trying.  So I have tried adding coconut/almond milk (Almond Breeze) and yes, it helps a little, but still not quite right. I also added Coconut oil which was oily and yucky (but I didn't need any lip gloss that morning! lol).  So I'm going to try your ideas about using the blender and coconut cream the way Georgina does it and I just ordered a French press on Amazon!  I really appreciate your help and ideas!

39 minutes ago, LPHebert said:

Thank you guys so much!  First let me say, the thought of completely giving up coffee for 30 days makes me want to cry. So until I absolutely can't stand it, I'm going to keep trying.  So I have tried adding coconut/almond milk (Almond Breeze) and yes, it helps a little, but still not quite right. I also added Coconut oil which was oily and yucky (but I didn't need any lip gloss that morning! lol).  So I'm going to try your ideas about using the blender and coconut cream the way Georgina does it and I just ordered a French press on Amazon!  I really appreciate your help and ideas!

Good going on the French Press. Now make sure you have good coffee: organic, shade grown, the whole 9 yards and get it ground for a French Press (coarser grind than drip). Try a little black. You might surprise yourself. 

1 hour ago, 2sweetpeas said:

Have you looked into the aeropress?  very similar to a French press but much cleaner cup of coffee.  We love our aeropress!

My French Press(es) can beat up your Aeropress. :) 

But here's a great head-to-head on the advantages and disadvantages of each:

https://handground.com/grind/ultimate-brew-down-aeropress-vs-french-press

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 1:59 PM, Georgina2 said:

I love coffee too, and can't drink it black either.  I've been adding 2 tsp coconut cream to mine.  Buy a can of compliant coconut cream or milk and put it in the fridge for 24 hours.  Open the can, scoop off the solidified fat into a tuperware, dump the water from the bottom.  One can lasts me about a week.  It cuts the acidity of the coffee, which is what bothers my stomach, and gives me a source of healthy fat to boost.  Coconut milk is too thin and doesn't do it for me.

I want to make sure I'm reading this right - so the part that you use in your coffee is the solid, not the liquid? 

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, Sarahhuzzah said:

I want to make sure I'm reading this right - so the part that you use in your coffee is the solid, not the liquid? 

Yes. The liquid is just water, the solid is the actual coconut. Some brands don't separate, and in any brand, you can blend the solid and liquid and use that, it's just less thick and creamy than if you only use the solid part. I usually blend mine, but then I use a lot more than two teaspoons in a cup of coffee. (Serving size for canned coconut milk, according to the meal template, would be 1/4 to 1/2 a 14 oz can.)

You may also consider cold brewed coffee. I've always been the type to have a little coffee with my sugar and cream, but can drink good cold brewed coffee black. Coconut cream is also wonderful, as others have mentioned. I also like Silk unsweetened vanilla almond milk which is compliant and a little sweeter than plain almond milk which I find too bitter. 

Archived