Which salt do you use?

Use whatever kind you like based on your palate or other concerns. Just make sure you salt your food as you're not getting the salt from processed foods. 

I use iodized table salt primarily as I want to make sure I get my iodine and use sea salt or other salts for specialty applications. 

I like the crystal structure of kosher salt for roasting vegetables. 

I keep a sea salt grinder on the table for salting meals in general.

I have a couple specialty salts (Himalayan salt and applewood smoked salt) that are finer grained, but not as fine as regular table salt, that I like to use during the cooking process.

However, if I went with just one for everything, I would use a sea salt grinder.

• 2 weeks later...

I like using Kosher salt to cook with. I recently read that Morton's Kosher salt contains an anti-caking agent, so I switched to Domino's Kosher salt. I like to keep it in a small bowl and shower the food with a pinch at a time (pretending I am Ina Garten). I do have a shaker of finer sea salt to put on the table for company.

Like fat, salt has gotten a bad rap over the years, but when we aren't eating processed foods, I'm not concerned about the small amount of salt we add to our paleo cooking. Not only do we need it in our bodies, it also makes food taste good!

Stephaie

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Jerry Lewis said:

I prefer not to use so much salt and neglect using Its. The type of salt depends on the dish and ur taste preferences

We highly recommend that people generously salt their food on Whole30.  With the removal of processed and packaged foods and all. that. sodium, if you don't add salt to your cooking, you're not getting enough sodium and your body actually needs it.  Salt was never demonized until processed and packaged foods became the norm and they have so much sodium that it became unhealthy... the amount you use to cook with, even if your dish ends up tasting 'salty' is still a fraction of what any one packaged or processed product would have in it.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Bellmaestra said:

I like using Kosher salt to cook with. I recently read that Morton's Kosher salt contains an anti-caking agent, so I switched to Domino's Kosher salt. I like to keep it in a small bowl and shower the food with a pinch at a time (pretending I am Ina Garten). I do have a shaker of finer sea salt to put on the table for company.

Like fat, salt has gotten a bad rap over the years, but when we aren't eating processed foods, I'm not concerned about the small amount of salt we add to our paleo cooking. Not only do we need it in our bodies, it also makes food taste good!

Stephaie

I use the Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt... it's inexpensive and doens't have anything added to it... I do the same as you and have a salt bowl by the stove.

https://www.diamondcrystalsalt.com/product/kosher-salt

If you rely on table salt for supplemental iodine, consider replacing it frequently as the iodine degrades with exposure to air.    While I prefer the sea salts and pink salts, iodized salt does have a home in my kitchen.    I use the salt not just for cooking but also cleaning -- scrubbing down the sink, running through the garbage disposal.  I generally buy a box of Morton's every 3 months or so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_iodide

Chemistry[edit]

Potassium iodide is ionic, K+I. It crystallises in the sodium chloride structure. It is produced industrially by treating KOH with iodine.[30]

It is a white salt, which is the most commercially significant iodide compound, with approximately 37,000 tons produced in 1985. It absorbs water less readily than sodium iodide, making it easier to work with.

Aged and impure samples are yellow because of the slow oxidation of the salt to potassium carbonate and elemental iodine.[30]

4 KI + 2 CO2 + O2 → 2 K2CO3 + 2 I2

Elemental iodine then sublimates in to the air.  

• 1 month later...

Archived