April 11 Re-Intro Start

alexd8

So proud of everyone! We made it!

It's day 31 for me, and the first day of reintroduction. This is my stevia/erithitol day. I'm looking forward to enjoying my herbal teas again. I doubt I'll need as much, so will start with 1/2 of what I was used to. :) 

Day 31!!! WOW! 

Re-introducing sugars today. I had a cup of green tea with honey (my throat is going to thank me) and for lunch my boyfriend is taking me to Playa Bowls as a treat (it's fresh pitaya/coconut/green bowls topped with fruit/granola/nuts/drizzle) whatever you desire so I think I'm going to get a little of the nutella drizzle on top of my bowl! Then for dinner I'm thinking a sweet potato with brown sugar?

Congrats everyone, we did it!

Dairy for me today. Real cream in my coffee and kerrygold dubliner cheese with breakfast. For dinner, chicken tikka masala made with yogurt and cream added. Chai masala tea with dinner with organic whole milk (apple juice in place of sugar). So far no bad effects. Back to W30 for the next 2 days. 

Day 31 I did sugar. I had stevia in my coffee, honey mustard with my lunch and brown sugar on my sweet potato at supper. Glad to see so many of you coming over to this forum for our re-intro. Thanks alexd8 for creating this forum for us. I lost 7.4 pounds and 9 inches with a whole lot of NSVs. I think I may do another W30 after I go through the re-intro and find out the culprits that make me feel bad. I know I could have lost a whole lot more weight if I had not been nursing this foot injury. Hopefully, the next round I can exercise more. I did mow the grass at our farm last night and had a stressful day so I didn't sleep as well plus a little pain in my leg while in bed. Have a great day today!

Day 31 here! Woke up and weighed myself and I lost about 10 pounds. It might have been a little more or less since I was bad and didn't weigh myself the day before I started. I still need to take measurements, but I am pretty sure I lost some inches too. One of my rings has gotten so loose I can no longer really wear it on my ring finger since it might slide off.

Today I think I'll be introducing sugar, but I am not 100% sure yet. I might do wine with dinner. I had a whole30 compliant breakfast and have a lunch packed. It depends on how today goes. 

HI there all! Glad to keep this community going! 

I'm on Day 31 and started to add in a little dairy, but already feel a little off -- noooooo, I can't imagine life w/o wine and cheese! 

As far as my results from W30 -- I didn't lose any weight -- in fact, it looks like I gained a pound or two, which is disappointing. I struggled with keeping my breastmilk supply up throughout the W30 and was advised by the mods to add extra "meals", plus added fat to my diet, which felt like a lot at times, but definitely did the trick of reestablishing my milk supply. So we do what we can, I guess! I wasn't overweight (was around 125 when I started, and this AM was 127 -- which interestingly enough was the exact weight I ended on after my last W30), but still, it was one of those fun fringe benefits from last time. This time, I don't feel crazy, ridiculously amazing -- more like a steady, good, solid hum. My clothes fit about the same too. Meh.

However, there are many NSVs...  first being that my seasonal allergies have completely disappeared! This is HUGE for me, since I can't take Claritin D while breastfeeding! .... The sugar dragon is gone, and I can resist sugar so much more easily now .... The quality of my sleep is so much better, I feel alert and rested in the morning ... I have great energy for my workouts...  and I'm cooking more, and better - thereby saving money on takeout and feeding my family more wholesome food. Also, I got promoted at work! Hah. Don't think I can attribute that one to W30 -- but in general I was feeling more focused and driven at work this past month. 

After re-intro, I'd love to keep this up, at least through the rest of allergy season, and hope to continue trolling these boards for inspiration and motivation! 

Yup we made it! And DH LOL. We are starting reintro with dairy. After that I dont know yet. We dont drink so do not have to worry about that. I think we still have to work on the sugar dragon more. Had an appoint with DH's diabetes manager and they lowered the amount of insulin by 5 points. Did labs. She was thrilled that we tried Whole30 and that it we have chosen to not go back to old habits. He lost 14 and I 4-5 lbs. His clothes are loser. Mine are about the same as all my weight is in the waist/gut but thats ok.

OAN grand daughter had last desserts class today. She has not brought home anything for the month but knew we were done and brought home carrot cake. Hoping to just have a bit or two each day till its gone. But it is for both of us.

Congrats to all of us! Thanks alexd8 for starting this thread

17 minutes ago, nanners said:

Hoping to just have a bit or two each day till its gone

Congrats on making it through!

Obviously what you do postW30 is entirely up to you, but I'd be very wary of eating that gluten/fat/sugar combo on a daily basis without expecting some kind of blow-back - fore-warned is fore-armed!

I understand and not wanting to go back to eating like that but cant throw it out either. It isnt something we normally would do. Also pre- prepared for Easter as we are invited to son's house. Tomorrow is trash day and she is gone to work. I wasnt expecting she would bring something home as she hasnt been. She also works in a bakery, and we have been in their when picking her up but have not had a thing

9 minutes ago, nanners said:

and not wanting to go back to eating like that

If I'd a penny/dollar for every time I'd read that on these forums....!! :P

Seriously though, it may not effect you physically, but mentally those kinds of foods take grip MUCH faster than you'd think - and eating them daily is only going to fuel this. Do you not plan on carrying out reintros? If not (and I'd not recommend that you don't) you'd honestly be better eating it all in one sitting, then dusting yourself off, taking a deep breath & planning your next healthy meal.

1 minute ago, jmcbn said:

If I'd a penny/dollar for every time I'd read that on these forums....!! :P

Seriously though, it may not effect you physically, but mentally those kinds of foods take grip MUCH faster than you'd think - and eating them daily is only going to fuel this. Do you not plan on carrying out reintros? If not (and I'd not recommend that you don't) you'd honestly be better eating it all in one sitting, then dusting yourself off, taking a deep breath & planning your next healthy meal.

I am planning on reintros, starting with dairy. I was thinking about mentally not physically, taking hold. 

4 minutes ago, nanners said:

I am planning on reintros, starting with dairy. I was thinking about mentally not physically, taking hold. 

Okay, great - then if you want to do this right you should bear in mind that the carrot cake is going to have a combination of off-plan ingredients (even if it's GF the flour will likelly be made from some kind of GF grain or legume), so until you've successfully reintroduced the off plan ingredients it contains with the two day of W30 eating in between the carrot cake is going to have to maybe go into the freezer.

I hope it's worth it - it used to be one of my favourites!

6 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

Okay, great - then if you want to do this right you should bear in mind that the carrot cake is going to have a combination of off-plan ingredients (even if it's GF the flour will likelly be made from some kind of GF grain or legume), so until you've successfully reintroduced the off plan ingredients it contains with the two day of W30 eating in between the carrot cake is going to have to maybe go into the freezer.

I hope it's worth it - it used to be one of my favourites!

One of my faves also. But obviously I am having a struggle here or I would not still be posting about it. So sugar dragon is still fighting within me. : )

3 minutes ago, nanners said:

One of my faves also. But obviously I am having a struggle here or I would not still be posting about it. So sugar dragon is still fighting within me. : )

And that's okay.... Take a deep breath, carry on with your day, and then worry about it tomorrow - it may not seem like such a big deal after you've slept on it.

6 minutes ago, nanners said:

Damn you, sugar dragons!  

There's nothing wrong with keeping a dessert for later.  We recently had a pie-themed event (its kind of a family joke).    I was on plan when it occurred, so a few slices of sugary goodness came home with me and were frozen to be enjoyed later.   

I'm actually looking forward to it.  The gathering was a nice time, and we'll have a chance to remember everyone's hospitality when we enjoy the pie later on.  Maybe after a May hike in the mountains :)   

I am both proud and disappointed with myself. I went slightly off-plan today. Why am I disappointed? Well I had a morning reception with our CEO and had half of a corn muffin. I didn't mean to mix the gluten/sugar combo but I did. Gut & digestion-wise I felt fine afterwards, but I did notice I felt slightly tired afterwards. However, after having some water I felt great. Then since I am part of the Fun Committee at my office, I ended up having half of very delicious chocolate cupcake. I am feeling pretty good right now. I am a bit lightheaded but I think thats from a lack of water and blowing up a bunch of balloons for our "party". 

Now, how on earth could I be proud of myself for having the corn muffin & cupcake? Well because for once, I actually was able to just have 1/2 of the item. I used to be the person who was unable to save desserts for later because I inhaled them. I know I still have a sugar dragon, but through this Whole30 I have gained some strength and was able to fight it more than I have done in years. I honestly think that if it was before finishing the whole30, I would have had much more than I did. However, I showed a lot of self-restraint and didn't feel like it took too much out of me. Pre-Whole30, I would have probably struggled really hard with only eating half the muffin/cupcake and not trying any of the other snacks. This is huge and I am proud of myself. 

Tomorrow will be back to whole30 and we'll see if there are any other effects I notice. 

Well it's nice to be moving on into reintro with everone. 

I lost a couple of kilos during my W30 and my clothes are a bit looser which is welcome. 

So i started with dairy - packed in cream, butter, yoghurt and cheese in 1 day. A couple of reactions that sent me looking up dairy's effects on the menstrual cycle. So now, i may just forego the majority of dairy and just have a bit of cheese occasionally. In any case, if you watch 'dairy is scary' on youtube, why would you eat it?!

I have also slept really badly for 2 nights. I don't know whether to attribute this to dairy or not. I think I'll have to trial this again later on to see if there is a relationship. 

Tonight and tomorrow night i am moving onto wine. I wanted to have gin & tonic but the mix of sugary mixer and potentially a grain based spirit don't seem appropriate just yet. (shame) :mellow:

So interesting -- from what I can tell, it looks like I now have HORRIBLE response to dairy! Crazy, since that wasn't my experience during my first re-intro at all. 

So today, I am 100% back on W30 to try to get back to normal. Even cut the butter. 

This weekend with family for Easter will be difficult. I'm planning to re-intro wine on Sunday but will avoid dairy and other off-plan things as much as possible (as in, I'm not going to ask my mother in law to remove all butter from her dishes, but will avoid a side dish if it's baked in cream). There is a cheesecake though that I only have once a year on Easter that will be a little sad to turn down!

The dairy reintroduction went well on Tuesday...no ill-effects that I could tell, even though I was exhausted from a lack of sleep.  It really was no problem to go back to W30  for the last two days...in fact it actually felt pretty normal.

Stepping on the scale was certainly fun, though:  I'm down about 7 pounds and about 1 inch in the waist , 1 in the hips.  Lightest I've been since I completed a ridiculous 7 day hut-to-hut mountain bike trip in 2012.  Woo Hoo! Hubby lost a whopping 15 pounds, from 180 to 165.  Only about 10 pounds away from the "skinny fast boy" weight he was when we married.  He's thrilled!

The NSV count, though, in a big way:  much more even energy levels throughout the day; no more sugar dragon; solid sleep (7-8 hours), arthritis in my toe is at a minimum, and I am actually getting FASTER in my workouts.  And...not sure if it is a NSV, but I spend much less time on social media than I used to - but that could just be because I spend that time prepping, shopping and cooking.  ;-)

We both plan to keep up a whole30-ish way of life moving forward!  

Tuesday was my Day 31 and I lost 9.3 pounds! Started at 132.8 and weighed in at 123.5. Besides the weight my stomach is flatter and I lost inches off of my waist. So many NSV! 

I reintroduced alcohol and candy on Tuesday and my breakouts are CRAZY! The alcoholic drink I had was also really sugary. Pimples popped up on my forehead, between my brows, cheek, and all over my chin. I knew beforehand that sugar caused me to breakout, but this re-confirmed it 100%. I was going to reintroduce dairy tomorrow (Friday), but I may wait until Saturday because the pimples are healing currently and I want to give it as much time before I see how cheese/milk affects my body. 

I was a very big candy girl before the Whole30, but after eating some candy i noticed myself craving an apple so that was a victory in itself because I wanted natural sugars. I'll keep you all updated when I reintroduce dairy.

Reading all your posts about reintroduction almost makes me want to wait on wine today!  I won't though, I think I need to keep suar out until the end of reintro. I thought I was good with dairy, but the next day the skin surrounding my mouth turned red and started peeling. Clearing up today. I am not certain it was the dairy as I have never had issues before. I think I will try reintroducing again later, and see how I react. I did watch the dairy is scary video after reading your post MtnGoat.... but cheese!!  Seriously though, I will avoid dairy completely if I get another skin reaction. 

I forgot to post weight loss (9.5 pounds), and I lost 2 1/2 inches on my waist. More energy has been my biggest NSV. Happy Friday everyone!

Just ate some cheese....stomach is starting to hurt/feel queasy. Going to eat some pistachio ice cream later and see how I feel to determine if the dairy is causing the uneasiness in my tummy. Also about to watch the "dairy is scary" on YouTube suggested by @MtnGoat! I didn't drink milk before the program so I won't be introducing that, just seeing how the cheese/ice cream affect me.

Archived