why not coconut flour

cfhunter

The only thing I am cutting out of my already normal diet is alcohol and raw honey. I am already following this style of eating daily BUT I do use a tablespoon or two of coconut or almond flour for veggie hash etc as a thickener. why are those not allowed? Thank you!

I'm guessing what you heard or read is you're not supposed to use alternative flours (coconut, tapioca, etc.) to make "paleo-fied" foods such as desserts, pancakes, etc., because they are SWYPO and you need to get used to relying on real food. But that is different than what you describe above.

If you have a good recipe would you mind sharing? :rolleyes:

I do! Sweet Potato hash is what I call it. Tell me if anything is off limits for sure!

1 large sweet potato peeled and shredded

1 small onion peeled and shredded

1 small apple (I am talking smaller than palm size) peeled and shredded

two eggs

1-2 tablespoons of coconut flour

Sea salt and ground pepper to taste

Mix it all up with your hands so it gets well mixed.

Drop large spoonfulls into medium to hot coconut or EVO and pat gently (so they flatten). Flip when you see the edges browning.

The key to this recipe is to shred your stuff onto a plate with cheese cloth on top of the plate so you can fold all the veggies up and squeeze excess water out for easier cooking and flipping.

I can attest to the deliciousness of this concoction as I do one very similar. Actually, it's the kind of thing I'm not sure is ever the same twice. Use any veggies you can grate (zucchini, cucumber, carrot, onion, sweet potato) and whatever spices you like (sometimes italian, sometimes cumin and red pepper, etc). I love making these and they disappear as fast as I can get them out of the pan!

Sweet potato hash is veggie fritters in my house. Whatever you call them they are simply delicious!

(cfhunter is right, the biggest most important tip to this recipe is getting out the excess moisture. If you don't it just falls to shreds when it hits the pan!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Moderators

Does anyone know if almond flour is allowed during Whole30?  I got my answer about coconut flour above, thanks!  I'm on day 3 and these forums are such a big help???

Diane

For future reference, almost anything you can think of to ask about has been asked at least once on the forums. You can find these past discussions by using google to search Whole30 + whatever you're looking for, or if you don't find relevant stuff doing that, try Whole30 forum + whatever you're looking for.

The official stance on almond flour or any other non-grain-based flour is they're allowed in limited circumstances. Here's the explanation from the Can I Have list:

Almond Flour: Yes

Yes, you can have almond flour, coconut flour, tapioca flour, and other non-grain-based flours, but it’s context-dependent. You can use it in place of breadcrumbs in your meatballs, to dredge a piece of chicken, or to thicken a sauce or stew.  You may not use it for Paleo baking—to make muffins, pancakes, bread, cupcakes, cookies, waffles, biscuits, tortillas, pizza crust, or anything of that nature. We call those recipes Sex With Your Pants On (SWYPO) foods, and they are expressly off-limits during your Whole30.

Archived