Safe Mayo

jussiemariee

I am torn.  I am unwilling to use raw mayo.  I have read of using hard boiled eggs in mayo, and that it may or may not work.  I also tried to make mayo with pasteurized egg whites (100% pasteurized egg whites in the carton) which worked wonderfully except I used olive oil and it tasted bad.  Is there any reason that using pasteurized whites would be a problem.  I am unable to get pasteurized whole eggs in my area. 

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, jussiemariee said:

I am torn.  I am unwilling to use raw mayo.  I have read of using hard boiled eggs in mayo, and that it may or may not work.  I also tried to make mayo with pasteurized egg whites (100% pasteurized egg whites in the carton) which worked wonderfully except I used olive oil and it tasted bad.  Is there any reason that using pasteurized whites would be a problem.  I am unable to get pasteurized whole eggs in my area. 

You can look up online how to pasteurize an egg at home... the recipe blog Planks Love and Guacamole used to have instructions so you might start looking there. :)

4 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

You can look up online how to pasteurize an egg at home... the recipe blog Planks Love and Guacamole used to have instructions so you might start looking there. :)

So is there any reason not to use the carton eggs? I don't really want to depend on my own pasteurization methods preferring to leave that to the "experts."

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, jussiemariee said:

So is there any reason not to use the carton eggs? I don't really want to depend on my own pasteurization methods preferring to leave that to the "experts."

No, I don't see why you couldn't... I've never tried it so no idea what the consistency, flavor would be but give it a whirl.

14 minutes ago, MeadowLily said:

I am unable to get pasteurized whole eggs in my area.

Did you mean farm fresh eggs?  You can surely use commercial/past.  eggs from the grocery store,  

Regular eggs in the store have not been pasteurized. Basically they are raw in the same way that chicken is "raw." The rare chance of salmonella is still there.  Where pasteurized eggs have been "cooked" at low temps, the same way milk is pasteurized and is no longer possible for salmonella to survive. I am trying to get pregnant and have a anxious fear of food born illness therefore attempt to avoid any problematic foods.

18 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

No, I don't see why you couldn't... I've never tried it so no idea what the consistency, flavor would be but give it a whirl.

Ok, I will play with it a bit.  I was not sure if for some reason, it would be less compliant.  The texture was great when I made it, but I needed to use a less flavored oil.  the Evoo overpowered the mayo.

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, jussiemariee said:

Ok, I will play with it a bit.  I was not sure if for some reason, it would be less compliant.  The texture was great when I made it, but I needed to use a less flavored oil.  the Evoo overpowered the mayo.

Oh yes, evoo is going to give you a very 'strong' taste. Try avocado oil or extra light olive oil.

There are also eggless mayo recipes out there for people doing AIP, are vegan, or just simply allergic to eggs.  If you are worried about eggs and can't find pasteurized ones near you, some eggless recipes might work for you.  

• 4 weeks later...

I just started Whole 30 and recently made my first batch of mayo per the Basic Mayo recipe using extra light olive oil and a large egg.  When I went to eat it (as part of a chicken salad made with some grilled chicken) I felt a little uneasy it as it tasted weirdly "eggy" to me and had a stronger taste profile than I am used to, which in turn made me remember that I was always under the impression that you could get salmonella from eating something that contains raw egg.  I have never been a huge lover of mayo in the first place - I typically only use the minimum needed to hold together chicken or tuna as a "salad."   So a stronger tasting mayo is disconcerting to me. Any suggestions on how to adjust the recipe to make it more palateable?  Also, am I just being paranoid about safety of eating homemade mayo or is there something I should be doing to ensure that the raw egg is not contaminated?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, katoncoles said:

I just started Whole 30 and recently made my first batch of mayo per the Basic Mayo recipe using extra light olive oil and a large egg.  When I went to eat it (as part of a chicken salad made with some grilled chicken) I felt a little uneasy it as it tasted weirdly "eggy" to me and had a stronger taste profile than I am used to, which in turn made me remember that I was always under the impression that you could get salmonella from eating something that contains raw egg.  I have never been a huge lover of mayo in the first place - I typically only use the minimum needed to hold together chicken or tuna as a "salad."   So a stronger tasting mayo is disconcerting to me. Any suggestions on how to adjust the recipe to make it more palateable?  Also, am I just being paranoid about safety of eating homemade mayo or is there something I should be doing to ensure that the raw egg is not contaminated?

Mayo has been discussed at length on this forum including different oils, taste, safety etc... google 'whole30 mayo fail' or 'whole30 mayo safety' to get the best results.  I'm going to add your post to that thread for the purposes of keeping the forum tidy.

21 hours ago, katoncoles said:

If it makes you feel any better, I have been eating homemade mayo with an egg for the past three years (probably go through a batch every other week) and have never gotten sick!

Archived