Starting June 12th

smiths37

Hey, everyone! I'm starting my first Whole30 on Monday. Feeling really motivated now, so hoping I can keep that good feeling! I've meal planned for many, many years and consider myself a pretty experienced cook. My main challenge will be staying away from bread, grains, cheese, and alcohol. 

Some of the things that I'm hoping to see improvements with are:

1. My complete lack of energy (impossible to drag myself out of bed, multiple slumps throughout the day or just feeling tired all day long)
  2. What I consider to be adult acne
  3. Tendonitis in my foot that has been around for about a year and a half
  4. Ongoing sinus and seasonal allergy issues 
  5. Attitude/mood (tired of being cranky, sad, snapping at people, and feeling hopeless about so many aspects of my life)
  6. And although I know we're not supposed to consider this a weight loss program, I would be really, really happy to lose some weight!

RIght now I am finishing off the jalapeno cheese dip but I am all in starting tomorrow!  I've done a strict AIP whole 30 in the past and felt so much better. I slept well, I had no headaches, I felt energetic and I wasn't obsessed with food.  I'm ready to lose a few pounds and feel great again.  I love the tip about having my own food cabinet.  I am so going to do that - I hate seeing my husbands smore flavored pop tarts ruining my shelves of canned coconut milk, organic nuts and plantain chips.

I too am starting the Whole 30 on June 12th.  My schedule is crazy and not regular.  I am trying to figure out the best food to have on hand in case I get stuck at the hospital for extended periods of time.  There are times when I am there a long time and when I go in the call room, the snacks that they provide are things like rice crispie treats, cookies, ect.  It is hard not to grab one when you haven't ate for hours.  

Hi Laura. I keep a stash of Chomps at my desk. The current flavor I'm eating is Crankin' Cran. Here's a link to Whole30 approved "emergency and travel" foods.

https://whole30.com/whole30-approved/?cat=emergency-and-travel-food/

I wish you all a great day 1. I am starting tomorrow too. I feel like I'm being pinned by sugar in a decades-long wrestling match.

Oh happy Monday morning everyone !   This starts day 1, and I can feel positive energy already.  I've been on a journey of restoring my health for the past several months, I've lost 40lbs, started going to the gym 4-6 times a week but never felt really "cleansed" of toxins and poor choices.  This plan is perfect to help me move to the next level. I want to achieve a healthier lifestyle and although the weight loss aspect is a secondary goal won't be the focus.   I am committed to making the right decisions daily, to feel better and have a more clear vision of what I need to do for the rest of my life.  Thanks for reading and I look forward to continued support, encouragement, tears and laughter from all who are on the same path

Catherine

Great message catherine122! I have also lost 40 pounds but need to make better food choices. Amazing coincidence. Too much junk food and sugar for me. "I am committed to making the right decisions daily" is such an inspirational message.

Also starting June 12 - have done 3 rounds and during and soon after have reaped the benefits of: more energy, better mood, increased focus, better sleep. I need to reset - and focus on emotions and why I let bad habits sink back in until I'm back where I've started. Looking forward to this journey with all of you!

18 hours ago, Laura14 said:

I too am starting the Whole 30 on June 12th.  My schedule is crazy and not regular.  I am trying to figure out the best food to have on hand in case I get stuck at the hospital for extended periods of time.  There are times when I am there a long time and when I go in the call room, the snacks that they provide are things like rice crispie treats, cookies, ect.  It is hard not to grab one when you haven't ate for hours.  

I've heard Epic Bars and Larabars are good things to have on hand for this kind of situation. Maybe some nuts and fruits too?

See Melissa's answer here for the official stance of rule vs. recommendation.

"The idea of using these bars as emergency food only is a RECOMMENDATION, not a rule."

"If you want to crumble a grass-fed, organic, low-sugar Epic Bar as extra protein in your salad, go for it.  -Melissa" 

Melissa doesn't say epic bars or other approved Whole 30 bars are for emergency use only and a Whole 30 rule. That is a recommendation only.

Through the years, we can adopt other's ideas about Whole 30 approved foods rather than going back to the well and getting the straight answer.  I no longer share any bias about "bars are to be used for emergency use only".  She doesn't say that. 

I am just getting started with the whole 30 as well and have no idea all of "the rules" to remain compliant.  I printed out a list of "can's and cannot's" but I travel for work 3-4 days every week and go out to eat all the time.  Any suggestions as to what I can eat that is compliant and somewhat convenient?  We are talking 3 meals a day and snacks.  I read some larabars are ok and almonds so hopefully that is good for snacks (for this week at least) but what about breakfast and lunch mostly?  I know dinner can always be chicken, pork chop or steak with no butter and veggies.  Thanks everyone!  Trying to get healthier and stick with this!

• Moderators
33 minutes ago, MeadowLily said:

Melissa doesn't say epic bars or other approved Whole 30 bars are for emergency use only and a Whole 30 rule. That is a recommendation only.

Through the years, we can adopt other's ideas about Whole 30 approved foods rather than going back to the well and getting the straight answer.  I no longer share any bias about "bars are to be used for emergency use only".  She doesn't say that. 

Actually, they're referenced as something that should not be used for meal replacement, sugar cravings or dessert... which basically leaves emergencies and they are referenced as emergency food... If you can 'plan' to have a larabar around on a regular basis, you can plan to have tinned fish, hardboiled eggs, olives etc... these should always be a last resort and to be honest, crumbling them on a salad is not what people use them for...

Bonus Tip: Larabars

This isn’t an ingredient in a recipe, but Larabars are pretty commonly referenced on the program as an “emergency food” option. These easy-to-source dried-fruit-and-nut bars have very few ingredients, all recognizable. They’re an okay choice for on-the-go food—stash one in your gym bag, desk at work, or purse for those stuck in traffic/late night at the office/cross-country flight kinds of days.*

However, not all varieties of Larabars are Whole30 compliant. Those that contain vanilla extract, chocolate chips (which are sweetened with sugar), or peanut butter are out for your program. Here’s a list of compliant varieties, compiled by Whole30 Instagram follower @Gettin.Body.Back.Girl (and vetted by the Whole30 team).

Compliant: Apple Pie, Banana Bread, Carrot Cake, Cashew Cookie, Cherry Pie, Chocolate Coconut Chew, Coconut Cream Pie, Key Lime Pie, Lemon Bar, Pecan Pie, Pumpkin Pie.

Non-compliant: Blueberry Muffin, Cappuccino, Chocolate Chip Brownie, Chocolate Chip Cherry Torte, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, Coconut Chocolate Chip, Gingerbread, Peanut Butter and Jelly, Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip, Peanut Butter Cookie, Snickerdoodle.

*First, these are basically candy, and their lack of complete protein means they aren’t as satiating as they could be, often leaving you hungry shortly after eating them. Please don’t use these as a treat, dessert, or to satisfy sugar cravings. That violates the spirit and intention of the Whole30 program, and won’t help you slay your Sugar Dragon. 

We actually prefer Whole30 Approved RxBars for these kinds of situations, because their complete protein (from egg whites) makes them more satiating. The same cautions apply, however—these are not treats, desserts, or meal replacements! 

2 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Actually, they're referenced as something that should not be used for meal replacement, sugar cravings or dessert... which basically leaves emergencies and they are referenced as emergency food... If you can 'plan' to have a larabar around on a regular basis, you can plan to have tinned fish, hardboiled eggs, olives etc... these should always be a last resort and to be honest, crumbling them on a salad is not what people use them for...

Bonus Tip: Larabars

This isn’t an ingredient in a recipe, but Larabars are pretty commonly referenced on the program as an “emergency food” option. These easy-to-source dried-fruit-and-nut bars have very few ingredients, all recognizable. They’re an okay choice for on-the-go food—stash one in your gym bag, desk at work, or purse for those stuck in traffic/late night at the office/cross-country flight kinds of days.*

However, not all varieties of Larabars are Whole30 compliant. Those that contain vanilla extract, chocolate chips (which are sweetened with sugar), or peanut butter are out for your program. Here’s a list of compliant varieties, compiled by Whole30 Instagram follower @Gettin.Body.Back.Girl (and vetted by the Whole30 team).

Compliant: Apple Pie, Banana Bread, Carrot Cake, Cashew Cookie, Cherry Pie, Chocolate Coconut Chew, Coconut Cream Pie, Key Lime Pie, Lemon Bar, Pecan Pie, Pumpkin Pie.

Non-compliant: Blueberry Muffin, Cappuccino, Chocolate Chip Brownie, Chocolate Chip Cherry Torte, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, Coconut Chocolate Chip, Gingerbread, Peanut Butter and Jelly, Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip, Peanut Butter Cookie, Snickerdoodle.

*First, these are basically candy, and their lack of complete protein means they aren’t as satiating as they could be, often leaving you hungry shortly after eating them. Please don’t use these as a treat, dessert, or to satisfy sugar cravings. That violates the spirit and intention of the Whole30 program, and won’t help you slay your Sugar Dragon. 

We actually prefer Whole30 Approved RxBars for these kinds of situations, because their complete protein (from egg whites) makes them more satiating. The same cautions apply, however—these are not treats, desserts, or meal replacements! 

Awesome information! Reading the Whole30 book, I basically got the understanding that these are for emergency only: flight got delayed, you accidentally dropped your lunch after heating it up at work, went out to a meal with friends but there wasn't much you could order off of the menu, got stuck at work because the website went down and you have to figure out why and get it back up - these are all things that have happened to me (the meal out one was not specific to Whole30, but similar type situation). I'm extremely cranky when I don't eat, so I've always had something on hand just in case. And it's easier to have this than hardboiled eggs - if you make a hardboiled egg you are pretty much guaranteeing that you'll eat it (whether you need it or not) or it will go to waste. 

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, MeadowLily said:

I was referring to Epic Bars and (others such as Whole 30 Approved Chomps) in Melissa's most recent post up above.   A recommendation for emergency purposes only and not a rule.

Larabars? Nuh huh.

AHH!  Okay :)

21 hours ago, Laura14 said:

If you are on instagram, paleobailey is great to follow. She's a nurse an has lost 100+ pounds. She has some great tips about what to pack and have on hand. 

I don't have crazy hours - but a few things I try to have on hand at my desk are good fats. Meats, veggies and fruits are easier to find in my opinion

• cans of olives 
  • almonds, cashews, hazelnuts and macadamia nuts - Trader Joe's typically has great raw ones for a good price
  • Tessemae's salad dressing packets - if I forget my lunch I can usually grab a salad and some lunch meat and add olives

I also have a few Rx bars kicking around typically (I get these at Wegmans - and I saw that now they're sold at Target). I prefer them to Larabars and they are made with egg whites so they have the protein that the others lack.

Good luck!!!

2 hours ago, Tom Terzakos said:

I am just getting started with the whole 30 as well and have no idea all of "the rules" to remain compliant.  I printed out a list of "can's and cannot's" but I travel for work 3-4 days every week and go out to eat all the time.  Any suggestions as to what I can eat that is compliant and somewhat convenient?  We are talking 3 meals a day and snacks.  I read some larabars are ok and almonds so hopefully that is good for snacks (for this week at least) but what about breakfast and lunch mostly?  I know dinner can always be chicken, pork chop or steak with no butter and veggies.  Thanks everyone!  Trying to get healthier and stick with this!

I find there's a lot of help in the blogs.

Here's one Melissa posted: https://whole30.com/2017/02/whole30-at-work-1/

There's also another one that a flight attendant posted recently: https://whole30.com/2017/05/tori-flight-attendant/

I started today as well! Excited about this journey to improved health. I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in Aug 2016 and my body hasn't recovered since surgery, it seems. Besides, many problems with joint pain, severe back pain, low metabolism, rashy/purply skin on my forearms, poor sleep, bad mood swings since Aug, etc, etc. I have a ton of expectations that I believe I'll see on my NSV list. However, I am hoping to see some scale victories, as well. But it's not my ultimate goal.

How is day one going for everyone else? Any delicious meals to share? Good luck to you all!

Day 1 Meal 1: hash browns, chicken andouille sausage (AmyLu brand from Costco), sauteed kale. Coffee with Califia Farms almondmilk/coconut milk creamer.
Need to remember to drink water before my coffee :) 

Day 1 Meal 2: romaine lettuce, 1/2 avocado, chopped up applegate farms turkey, compliant chopped up bacon, grape tomatoes, Tessemaes lemon garlic dressing
Super filling and tasty

Day 1 Meal 3: Crockpot shredded chicken over roasted veggies and olives (zucchini, yellow sausage, eggplant, peppers, onions)

Prep: Yesterday I roasted a pain of veggies and broccoli with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic. This morning I tossed 4 chicken breasts, salt, pepper and garlic powder in the crockpot on low for 8 hours. The chicken will go on a salad for lunch tomorrow, and veggies will get added to various meals. I'll likely roast a pan of sweet potatoes tomorrow.

I made a pot of mint tea this morning and have been sipping on it all day.

Hope everyone had a great day 1!

Archived