Help - Day 11

The dreaded Day 11 is here, bringing with it the (allegedly normal) feeling of "why bother with this stupid 'challenge' anyway?" and the blues.

Managing to fight it though and stay in the game.... but if you see a post from me that says "HELP!" I may need a little helping hand.

Anyone else on Day 11 with me? Can anyone who's done this before offer any advice?

5 hours ago, Simon T (UK) said:

The dreaded Day 11 is here, bringing with it the (allegedly normal) feeling of "why bother with this stupid 'challenge' anyway?" and the blues.

Managing to fight it though and stay in the game.... but if you see a post from me that says "HELP!" I may need a little helping hand.

Anyone else on Day 11 with me? Can anyone who's done this before offer any advice?

I'm on Day 10 today and don't have this feeling yet but I DEFINITELY have in the past. There seem to be two trains of thought on this:

1. Have you told anyone else or shared on your social media that you are doing this for 30 days? I know for some people who are more competitive proving to OTHER people sometimes can be more important than proving it to themselves. So if you haven't done that yet, that might be worth a shot. How embarrassing would it be if in 10 more days somebody asked you how you were doing and you had to say you gave up? #lame

2. The less fear-mongering way to look at it is to just trust us and the 79234029385 other people who have done it before because it DOES get better from here. It may happen quickly, it may happen slowly, but it does get better. Some habit research says it can take up to 66 days to truly establish a new habit and how you're doing 8 months after trying to establish a new habit is also some sort of milestone (don't remember why - it's in the Whole30 Daily emails). So what's 19 more days? You're already more than 1/3 of the way through! It is totally worth it to keep going, you might be surprised how much more your body has in it. The first few times I did a Whole30, I didn't feel that much different/better until like day 27 or 29. But when those days came, I was so glad I did it. The only reason to give up now is FOMO (fear of missing out) on CRAP YOU'VE HAD 1 MILLION TIMES BEFORE. How about we start to fear missing out on the best health of our lives instead of the same old, same old? ;)

Besides, the beer will still be there 19 days from now. I guarantee it. :) 

My husband tells me I'm terrible at pep talks, but that's what I've got for you. Good luck, @Simon T (UK)! You CAN (and WILL) do this!

2 hours ago, Simon T (UK) said:

The dreaded Day 11 is here, bringing with it the (allegedly normal) feeling of "why bother with this stupid 'challenge' anyway?" and the blues.

Managing to fight through it and stay in control.

Anyone else on Day 11 with me?

Can anyone who's done this before offer me any advice?

Hey @Simon T (UK)! I'm with you on Day 11 too. It does feel like it's taking more effort than I 'feel like' putting into it, but yeah, I'm pushing on through alongside you. This is my second round of Whole30, and I remember going through this during my first round too. This is where lots of homies quit. But we are not going to give up! What helped me before, and maybe this will help you too, is to change something up. Have you tried coconut aminos? It's wonderful. Have you made any of the Whole30 recipes? They're all good. Be extra kind to yourself because this passes, and in a few days you'll start to really feel like this new normal is better than the old normal. :)

6 hours ago, Simon T (UK) said:

Good morning Simon! I'm on Day 11 with ya :)

i had a struggle yesterday....found this quote and it resonated with me, I know if I can dig deep in to myself when I'm feeling anxious, stressed, sometimes even happy....I reach for food to comfort me or reward myself. If I can actually feel those feelings and not mask them with food....I will learn that I can control how I REACT in those situation....maybe it's excersice, mediation, removing myself from that situation.  Not to be afraid to actually feel.  and the regret always outweighs the moment.

i am home today....and I'm happy to be your life line when you need it!!!

you got this!!! I had to break my day down to the hours..it worked, wasn't pretty...but I did it!

QUOTE:

"The key here is to redefine your idea of reward.  Think long and hard about the foods you’re grieving and ask yourself what need you’re expecting them to fulfill.  Are you feeling anxious and looking for reassurance?  Are you feeling sad, and looking for something to cheer you up? Are you worried you won’t successfully finish the program, and it’s easier to self-sabotage than fail? Remind yourself that food cannot fill that void for you—cannot make you feel truly accomplished, comforted, calm, happy, beautiful. Then, find another way to fill that need that does not involve those foods. Prepare yourselves for these days, knowing that all you have to do is see them through to the other side before things get much, much easier."

• Administrators

@Simon T (UK) - please do not cross post topics across threads. We don't abide by copying and pasting the same subject matter across different discussions in order to keep the forum tidy and not waste the time of volunteer moderators. I have removed your post and the replies to it from the Death of the Dragon thread and compiled them here.

• Administrators

No, that's not what I said. But you copy-pasted your exact text from one thread to another and we don't allow that. Moderators (or advanced members) read every post, it's not necessary to post the exact same thing twice in different places within 3 hours of each other. The mods are volunteers and only have so much time. It's a waste of that time to have a moderator commenting and discussing the issue with you on one thread while another moderator is working on the other. I'm quite certain you understand what my original point was.

• Administrators

All of that housekeeping aside, if you want directed feedback on how you might be able to mitigate teh issues, feel free to post a rundown of what you've been eating, your exercise, stress levels, sleep habits, fluids, pre and post workout food (if applicable). Often when people really struggle through the first third of their Whole30 it's because they aren't eating enough or their meal composition could use some work.

We can take a look and see if anything stands out.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, emilyelowe said:

The only reason to give up now is FOMO (fear of missing out) on CRAP YOU'VE HAD 1 MILLION TIMES BEFORE. How about we start to fear missing out on the best health of our lives instead of the same old, same old? ;)

Besides, the beer will still be there 19 days from now. I guarantee it. :) 

My husband tells me I'm terrible at pep talks, but that's what I've got for you. Good luck, @Simon T (UK)! You CAN (and WILL) do this!

Dude, you're VERY good at pep talks!  All of this is spot on with enough 'get it together' and enough 'you're doing great' to balance it out!  You can pep talk me anytime!

Thanks, @SugarcubeOD! I'm blushing. ^_^

I think switching something up like @SweetEnough said is also a great idea! I was struggling with food boredom BEFORE my W30, so I have been really focusing on trying new things during this one. (this is probably also why I got in a fight with my dishes, as you know, but hey - you give, you get, right?)

This also might be a good time to give yourself a reward - the last time I did a W30, I treated myself to a manicure for getting through the first week so then, when I wanted to quit in the second week, I couldn't because every time I looked down I felt guilty. LOL. Not sure if that bassackwards logic would work for you, but something to consider. Go out this weekend or even tonight and take a long hike or bike ride, treat yourself to a new shirt, take yourself to a movie, something that you enjoy to get your mind off how hard this can be and to re-energize your effort. 

Hope that helps!

Archived