Sore mouth edges

Hannah

Cracked corners of the mouth is what it seems you are describing. It's called angular cheilitis. Could be a fungal infection, riboflavin (B12) deficiency or iron deficiency. I apologize for using wikipedia for the source. It was easier to read than medical websites and seemed to have enough information.

http://en.wikipedia....gular_cheilitis

Thank you all for answering :) It is most likely because of my diet changes I have got these cracked corners (great explanation - I was really struggeling to describe it). I just have to think more throughly about what I prepare in my meals.

I can't think of anything special other than coconut milk. More eggs of course. All the other ingredients have beed in my diet now and then. I'll rather get up my meat and veggie income and see how that turn out, before I eliminate my coconut milk, that is to good.

Hah, funny that you mention the coconut milk, because that was exactly what I was thinking of when I mentioned an allergy. I think I recall other people talking about allergies to it. You could try eliminating it for a week, not permanently, and see if it has any effect?

I am now on my third day without coconut. My sore mouth edges were gone the day after this post. I don't know why but I did have red meat and more vegetables these days. My coconut was still in the diet when it healed. Still, I have my asthmatic breath. I usually don't use ventoline except from when i am excercising. Nowadays I Consider taking the meds without any excercise.

I don't think the coconut is the problem of my heavy breathing. I suspect the almonds and nuts are responsible. Shall I still continue without the coconut, AND try without nuts? Or shall I just eliminate the nuts from now on? (I know I am allergic to hazelnuts, itching throat etc).

come to think of it, if something is messing with your breathing, an allergy test might be in order so a doc can tell you exactly what you're allergic to without guessing. People with nut allergies are sometimes allergic to coconut as well, though I gather that's not at all a given. That said, I agree that almonds and other nuts would be suspect if you know you are allergic to hazelnuts.

• 3 months later...

I have same issue that I am trying to reslove. Possible reasons are as was mentioned above 1) infection 2) food sensitivity 3) vitamin deficiency. So having this on hands it's best to rule out the reasons one by one. See doctor to exclude infection. Eliminate possible allergens from diet for a while. Maybe do a blood work to check the vitamin levels?

This is what Kresser says:

Riboflavin is another key nutrient in the process of converting fat to energy. Once inside the mitochondria, fatty acids can't be “burned†for fuel without riboflavin coenzymes. Riboflavin is found in many foods, including asparagus, bananas, green beans, persimmons, okra, chard, dairy products, meat, eggs and fish. While deficiency due to inadequate dietary intake is rare, other conditions such as intestinal inflammation or dysbiosis can reduce the body's ability to absorb riboflavin and lead to sub-optimal levels. Other signs of riboflavin deficiency include cracked and red lips, inflammation of the lining of mouth and tongue, mouth ulcers and cracks at the corners of the mouth, though these aren't necessarily present in all cases.

I think it's best to see doctor if the symptoms are not going away after tweaking your diet.

My husband has this same issue. It started in August and hasn't gone away. We tried more iron - didn't help. The doctor gave him a mouth wash for a fungal infection - did not help. We switched out his chalpstick to a better kind - still didn't help. He finally went to the dentist and that dentist said it is probably because he is drooling in his sleep! :blink: So we switched sides on the bed so that he can sleep on his other side (he is picky about having to face out from the bed when he sleeps). This just happened this week so we'll see if that helps.

Archived