Help! I don't feel like eating!

iamglad

Hello! I'm not sure what to do... i just finished week 2. I don't have any cravings any longer, and my house is full of 'legal' food. But I don't feel like eating. I don't feel like making anything. It just seems like I've swung the other way. Is this normal?

• Moderators

Losing interest in eating is not a common response to the Whole30, but occasionally people do. Sometimes when hormones are out of whack it can suppress appetite. It is important to keep eating at least 3 times per day, following the meal template of protein as big as the palm of your hand, veggies to fill the rest of the plate cooked in a measure of fat as big as your thumb. Not eating messes your hormones up worse. Staying on track helps them get into rhythm again.

I can very much relate to this... I'm on... um... *goes to calendar* Day. 18 (holy crow) and I'm getting really bored of eating.

*******ETA, I made a huge error in day calculation, when I wrote this I was on Day11, not 18. oops!********

I am making myself eat but really I'm feeling really lazy on the food prep front and would rather be hungry than be prepping food all the time.

I usually make a big everything salad that lasts me a couple days and some sort of large meal mid day that I eat leftovers from until it's gone for snacks and other meals.

But yes, this morning was an ... i-am-bored-forc- myself-to-eat-a-boiled-egg-and-a-few-leaves-of-spinach-so-I-can-have-my-paleo-latte (espresso/coconut milk)... type of morning.

and I'm finding it really difficult to make myself do this.

I riced some cauliflower last night so that should last me a few meals as an extra veg. I have leftover red curry ...

Just a note, the OP is my sister and we both have PCOS so... it could be the hormonal imbalance that Tom was mentioning.

I, and I think my sister, have relied heavily on supernatural foods to keep up our appetites.

Also I'm just wanting mostly protein... the veg is going down really hard. I'm not enjoying it. :( and I've never liked sweets or fruit much at all...

Anyway, on a positive note, I'm sleeping better and have a better mood generally.

Maybe I just don't need that much food? I don't know.

I am sticking this out until my husband comes home on the 19th and then starting up after new years again... I am hopeful that by sticking to this for a long term commitment the health issues or symptoms I deal with will normalize and I can again be vibrant as I was in my mid twenties for a couple years when I had lost a lot of weight.

Hearty soups/ stews are a great way to make sure you get your veg.... When I'm lazy I can take two big bags of frozen veg mix ( lots of varieties are OK) a couple pounds of beef/ chix/ pork...... Seasoning water and what ever is laying around the neather regions of the fridge,and stick in a slow cooker all day/ over night....

Also a good time to try eating foods you never thought you would...liver,kidney,Japanese eggplant,Jerusalem artichoke ....

To go along with this....

I am currently experiencing something similar to this... I am STARVING, but food seems really unappealing. I eat, because I know I should... but I also found myself wondering if it would go away. OR the opposite happens, I eat, eat, eat and STILL feel hungry. That happened last night. I had a really good meal of shrimp and chicken in coconut oil with avocado, roasted asparagus and a sweet potato... ate the "normal" amount, and was still really hungry afterward. Has anyone else gone through this? Is this just my body adjusting to using fats instead of carbs or something?

Nicole, what day are you on?

i definitely needed to eat more and more often for the first week or so.

then around the middle week I had this unappealing food issue... but it's gone again. Now, (day 20) I'm liking food again but as nourishment, flavor is nice too but it's a very different focus. I'm eating because I'm hungry, not because I'm craving. BUT I still am having trouble regulating WHEN I eat... i'm still feeling like everything else is more important so eating is still a chore when I run out of pre-prepped food like stew and salad or whatever leftovers.

I'm glad I have 12 more days to Whole30 it before my husband comes home. It would be nice to be in a good rhythm before he gets here so I can easily stay on plan at least 70% of the time.

I am not technically W30 right now, but very close. I am finishing ISWF and getting through the holidays before starting (January 7!). I eat pretty strict paleo, though... and I have noticed that any time I "cheat" and then cut things back out again, I have this happen. Sure, it goes away in a couple days, but feeling hungry all the time and then not wanting to eat or eating a ton and still being hungry is really frustrating.

Archived