Vanilla

Tonya Farley Wagner

http://www.arizonavanilla.com/Store/gradeb_new.html

These guys are great.... 1/2 pound Tahitia "B grade" beans only $21.00. I take 1/2 the beans and cut off the stems / slice, and then put them is a food processor... For vanilla paste. Put in an air tight ball jar and freeze....stays fresh forever... ( you can do a fat extraction of just the seeds in warm coconut oil).

1/2 pound is a lot of vanilla....so only if you have friends/ family that you want to gift/ share with.... 5-6 pods wrapped in nice fancy cellophane with a bow makes a great stocking stuffer to folks who enjoy cooking and baking.... Besides 1 pod in whole foods was like $7.00. 1/2 pound is around 60-80 pods. :)

@Fenderbender - Thanks for the link to the vanilla company! I just ordered a 1/2 lb. of beans.

One tip: When you use the real beans/ pods... The effect is not instantaneous like adding extract.... It's best to steep the inner "caviar" for a while to get full flavor, i.e. when making " at work not for me" an ice cream ill make the cream custard with the vanilla beans and let sit over night before placing in the batch freezer to turn it into ice cream....

I am going to try to make some coconut vanilla milk buy heating it with the beans and then letting it sit for a while before use......

Anyway, enjoy!

• 1 year later...

I want to make a homemade vanilla almond milk.  If i put a whole vanilla bean in it, will that work in place of the vanilla extract?  I can't find a vanilla extract without sugar or alcohol or both and the only homemade ones I can find have glycerin in them.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.arizonavanilla.com/Store/gradeb_new.html

These guys are great.... 1/2 pound Tahitia "B grade" beans only $21.00. I take 1/2 the beans and cut off the stems / slice, and then put them is a food processor... For vanilla paste. Put in an air tight ball jar and freeze....stays fresh forever... ( you can do a fat extraction of just the seeds in warm coconut oil).

1/2 pound is a lot of vanilla....so only if you have friends/ family that you want to gift/ share with.... 5-6 pods wrapped in nice fancy cellophane with a bow makes a great stocking stuffer to folks who enjoy cooking and baking.... Besides 1 pod in whole foods was like $7.00. 1/2 pound is around 60-80 pods. :)

Hey Fenderbender, I'd love to order the vanilla beans you mentioned in your comment, but it seems like the link is broken-- I got a 404 error. Could you post again? thanks!

Archived